Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hey what happened to the Daughter's fantasy worldbuilding
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Keeping the thread around
Yes, we will
15%
 15%  [ 5 ]
Yes, we will
15%
 15%  [ 5 ]
Yes, we will
15%
 15%  [ 5 ]
Yes, we will
15%
 15%  [ 5 ]
Who can stop us
9%
 9%  [ 3 ]
Who can stop us
9%
 9%  [ 3 ]
Who can stop us
9%
 9%  [ 3 ]
Who can stop us
9%
 9%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 32

Storn
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 12:26 pm    Post subject: Hey what happened to the Daughter's fantasy worldbuilding Reply with quote

I loved that thread and I cannot find it.
http://fineartamerica.com/profiles/storn-cook
Leitchy
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I've been thinking about this myself. I'd love to see the end result because I think it might be just the thing to encourage other kids to roleplay more.
Ben Jackson
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also loved that thread, and told my fiance about it. She was impressed. Smile It seems to me like it'd be perfect to submit to Savage Sessions.

"Ben Jackson - Savage Worlds Evangelist." - dap6000
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like it laid fallow long enough to get culled.

If there is a thread you guys don't want to lose, either ask me or the person who started the thread to add a Poll to it. That "immunizes" it from the automatic cull.

www.peginc.com
Harsh
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Ben has been very, very busy lately. Lot's of personal stuff--all good too! and lot's of writing for Harsh Realities. I think the idea is still there. I should see him (and his family) in a couple weeks and will see what is what on that idea. It was pretty cool.
In the mean time I will mention it to him for you guys. Smile
Later
Harsh
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Ben Rogers
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE:

Although I have been very busy with a lot of other projects, my daughter has continued to develop her world.

As time permits, I'll post some of her latest little gems... Smile

My day job had the gall to promote me, give me more responsibility, more money and more prestige. Can you imagine that?! I've been quite busy learning my new function and assuming my new role. Not to mention using my spare time to write and develop...)
dap6000
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you post it, be sure to include a poll. Something like "Would you buy this setting?" should do it.
Storn
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben Rogers wrote:
UPDATE:

Although I have been very busy with a lot of other projects, my daughter has continued to develop her world.

As time permits, I'll post some of her latest little gems... Smile

My day job had the gall to promote me, give me more responsibility, more money and more prestige. Can you imagine that?! I've been quite busy learning my new function and assuming my new role. Not to mention using my spare time to write and develop...)

Oh please do.

Did she ever see the Doreen sketch I did for her?

I was actually trying to track it down, because I was listening to the Bear's Grove... and he has a podcast that every ep has a section that speaks specifically about kids in role playing. And I wanted to share that wonderfully precious thread.

I'm so sad it got culled.

For those who are interested, Bear's Grove is available on iTunes. Its a pretty good podcast from a guy who wrote a bunch of RPG stuff.
Ben Rogers
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some elements she's working on...

Silver Wood: Trees that look like they are made of metal, but when you cut into them, they seep a liquid that looks like mercury (quicksilver) and acts like an acid. The acid eats through anything, except wood.

Chameleon snakes: Perfectly mimic their surroundings, including temperature. They can barely be detected at all, except by the Floating Probe

Floating Probe: A little, pulpy spherical thing, about the size of a medium orange, but white. It uncoils a probiscus from its underside and "stings" the snakes, paralyzing them and then sucking out their bodily fluids. Floating Probes are extremely fragile and will pop like a bubble if significant pressure is applied to them.

Cooking Rocks: They emit an invisible flame, constantly. It is actually a living creature that absorbs nutrients from the air around it and its exhalation is the invisible fire. Over long periods of time, they can gradually alter their shape, allowing them to slowly roll--even uphill. Various groups of people collect them to use them as camp-fires or hearth fires. They thrive in the center of a fire, feeding off the nutrients of the things that are burned--they also "eat" ash. Cooking rocks are sometimes carried about in metal buckets and used for years.

Sugar Rocks: Crystalline growths that can be eaten or sucked on. They generally tend to taste sweet, but taste different to everyone who eats them--sometimes they even taste different if you eat them from different sources. Sugar rocks grow slowly and tend to grow best during the winter in fallow vegetable gardens.

Living Pearls: Harvested from land clams, the living pearl is extremely rare to find. They never grow much larger than a marble, and are much more common about the size of an aspirin. Wearing a living pearl will accelerate healing.

Death Pearls: Also harvested from land clams, the death pearl is even more rare. They are similar in size to the living pearls, but are totally black. A Death Pearl will slow healing and may actually cause wounds where it contacts the flesh. Assassins sometimes use death pearls, which can never be passed once swallowed.

Death Water: Pools of water that form near the death ground of a dragon can become death water--which will cause sickness shortly after it is drunk and will cause a wasting condition if continually imbibed.

Groat: A small, peachlike fruit with fascinating properties--it is similar to a peach in size and shape, with a similar pit. It grows on a ragged little tree that seldom grows larger than a big shrub. Mature groat trees usually produce 2-3 fruit per year and never grow within miles of another groat tree. Groat fruit has a citrus flavor, with a consistency like a banana, with occasional juicy bulbs within.

Electric Fuzz: The fuzz shed from a groat fruit, if collected in quantity sparkles and glows (and can give an electric jolt if touched). Sometimes gathered and kept in a jar as a continuous lightsource. It intensifies to painful brightness if there is a thunderstorm nearby.

Spark Plug: Inside the pit of the groat fruit is a small, pulpy "plug" that glows with an incandescent shimmer. Eating the plug will cure any disease, any wasting condition and will cause a body to immediately pass death pearls. (Note the word "immediately".)

Death Hand: An ambulatory plant that grows in the shape of a hand with attached forearm. At the tip of each "finger" is a thorn with a paralyzing poison. Death hands will devour anything paralyzed by its "touch" by attaching its "forearm" to the paralyzed creature. Roots will quickly (over a day or so) grow into the creature and suck out nutrients. After devouring a large chunk of the creature, the Death hand will break off from its victim, leaving a mass of growing roots that will continue to feed on the body while the dozen or so seeds it left behind grow to maturity.

Moody Door: A door and door-frame made from silverwood. Silverwood is extremely sensitive to emotion. If around prolonged crankiness, the door and door-frame will begin to display similar properties and tends to jam at the worst possible moments, only to open smoothely when everyone wants it shut.
Carjack
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Urmm. How old is your daughter?? Wow, that is some great, fantastically imaginitive stuff!! I'll definitely be swiping some if not all of this stuff for my own game. Keep it coming!!
SlasherEpoch
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love it. It makes me think of Earthsea and Xanth a little bit.

Also the Brackenwood series of flash animations.

In a fantasy world, as in good fiction, it's the attention to detail that makes a story take place.

Evil Wig Enterprises Minion #15 - "The
Machete"
Ben Rogers
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carjack wrote:
Urmm. How old is your daughter?? Wow, that is some great, fantastically imaginitive stuff!! I'll definitely be swiping some if not all of this stuff for my own game. Keep it coming!!

She's 10.

Her sister, my next oldest (just turned 8 ) was working with her today on some new stuff and I just got a phone call indicating they want me to hear what they've come up with today...

...I may post some of this a little later if y'all are interested.
fanchergw
Heroic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben,

I think it's safe to say we're interested... Wink

Gordon
Ben Rogers
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pink possum: A smallish animal that pretends to be a dead, mauled animal and will erupt into claws and teeth to attack scavengers. (This one was from our 8 year old.)

Firemanders: Salamander-like lizards that radiate heat. Can be used to keep someone warm, but if they feel threatened, they will erupt with intense heat—enough to ignite clothing, dry leaves or straw.

Cold bugs: Small insects that absorb all heat making it feel like they radiate cold. Cold bugs hunt firemanders. Cold bugs can extinguish a campfire in minutes.

Pollenbread: Elves make a special bread from the pollen of the huge flowering bloom (the size of a small elf). Pollen from a single bloom can provide enough pollen to mix with eggs and milk (and other flavorings) to make an unleavened bread. Pollenbread is extremely filling. Elves tend to mix in large quantities of honey, fruits and other flavorings to kill the slightly bitter flavor of the pollen. Humans tend to experience mild euphoria from pollenbread, but a single mouthful is enough to eliminate all hunger and make one feel “stuffed” (as though he ate too much).

Logfruit: Looks like a fruit, but is a solid chunk of wood. Ripe logfruit is about the size of a large grapefruit. Only when ripe, logfruit have a small, squishy core (the size of a tiny berry). The squishy core is extremely sweet and used by elves to make a sweet, potent wine. The wine is known as “Memory Wine” because just a few sips can render most people sloppy drunk sufficiently that they cannot remember the entire time they were drunk. Elves have a lot of fun watching humans drink more a sip and knowing they will not remember anything for hours later.

Oozing Jewels: crystalline gemstones that ooze small amounts of acid as they grow.

Dragon Ticks: very tiny insects that resemble gems. When collected into a dragon’s horde, they will crawl between the dragon’s scales and attach themselves to its blood stream. As they birth additional ticks, they will slowly uproot the scales creating a sore and tender spot on the dragon’s body. These spots “grow” over the dragon’s body much like mange.
Talahar
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

holy cow, that is awesome stuff....
i really like the pink possum, i think i'm gonna yoink that Very Happy
Storn
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poll this thread please, so we always have this example.

I like the Dragon Ticks and the Pearls!

I actually sent it to the Host of the Bear's Grove Podcast, as he is very, very intereted in kids and roleplaying and his episodes relate some pretty interesting stuff.
JackAce
Legendary

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben Rogers wrote:
Elves have a lot of fun watching humans drink more a sip and knowing they will not remember anything for hours later.

Those Elves are quite a naughty bunch, are they not? Wink
RooksGambit
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Just wow.

I've said it before but its worth saying again. Your girl(s) are very bright and creative. And how lucky they are to have you as a father, who supports their creativity.

Keep us up to date on their world when you can, it's good stuff.
Leitchy
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff! Storn, you created the thread with your initial post, so you may be able to make it a poll. Just edit your original post, and select Poll (and then make up a question). Otherwise, Clint or another Mod will have to do it.
Ben Rogers
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tonight I was very busy and my girls and I didn't have time to connect over gaming.

Just now, I found her little notepad and there are two more entries--but no explanations:

Threeshifters (Or possibly: treeshifters)

The Jokers

I'll see if I can get some descriptions out of her tomorrow evening... Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: