Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

comedy in HOE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you like to have something funny in your HOE game?
yes
12%
 12%  [ 14 ]
yes
12%
 12%  [ 14 ]
yes
12%
 12%  [ 14 ]
yes
12%
 12%  [ 14 ]
no
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
no
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
no
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
no
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
sometimes
12%
 12%  [ 13 ]
sometimes
12%
 12%  [ 13 ]
sometimes
12%
 12%  [ 13 ]
sometimes
12%
 12%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 108

Laces
Seasoned

Location: A place where they wouldn't waste a ghost rock tac-nuke

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:02 am    Post subject: comedy in HOE Reply with quote

I was just wondering if you like to to something funny in your HOE every now and then. I like to, give the PCs a break from the gloom and despare every now and then. One example is my posse was playing some pirates. I don't know why, they just wanted to. So at one point they found a person on their ship, which was a tricked out double decker bus, who could only say arg and matie, and had no arms or legs. So they take him, tie him to the front of the ship, and leave him. After a while of driveing, or sailing depending how you look at it, i ahd everyone roll cognition. They all saw a bike pull out in front of them, kick up a rock, then they heard a loud crack followed by an even louder AAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGG!!! So one of them goes out there and cuts his head off to put him out of his misery. Later at a town they stoped at, they saw the head roll into town still screaming arg. So they put it under the back tire and run him over. Later at another town, they heard a faint murmuring comeing from under the bus. They reached under the wheel well and out came the head still screaming arg. So they put him on a pike and carried him around as a mascot.
All unborn dream of birth, all birthed dream of life, all living dream of glory, all glorious dream of death, all dead dream of consuming the living's flesh, all eaten dream of turning, all turned gorge themselves beside their brethren.
Psykoguy
Heroic

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the sometimes category. For the most part, my players tend to stick with doing what they do, but I do like to every once in a while throw in some really odd and amusing things.

Example: During a gunfight where the players were behind reinforced glass, the Templar got 2 hits in the head in the one area that his helmet didn't cover, all this came from the same person. The Templar was almost dead after those hits (1 higher on the die roll and he would have been). After the fight, while looting, just for how lucky the guy was, they found him wearing a medal for marksmanship. (okay, it was funny at the time).

I once made an NPC whose sole existance was to piss off the PC's by being a jerk. The players loved the guy due to how hilariously miserable of a human being he was, but man, the characters were plotting murder.
devilkitty
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Humor is great.

In a group i currently play in one of the party members is a grossely obese but very randy syker who is also ugly as sin. his name is Billy "blob". At one point the party came to a survior settlement that had founded itself around a munitions factory. The settlement was mostly former military personel and they are worried about the survival of the human race. So they instituted a breeding program....The syker finds out that they want to pay him to...procreate...with one of their women, in the hopes of producing more sykers.

ok, the PLAYER then immediately jumps out of his chair, shouts "HOT DIGGITY!!" and starts doing a hillbilly dance. Surprised

Later, he meets the women he will be....procreating...with. The only woman in the settlement who is willing to do him happens to be six feet tall, brawny, and with biscepts the size of my thighs. She picked him up and threw him on the bed....

meanwhile, the doomie in the group is making rounds healing people nearby. She gets an earful because they are being THAT loud. Realizing that this was Billy....she shudders in abject horror, fails a guts check, and ends up completly phobic about anything that has to do with Billy and "the love of his life"...which Billy bring up as often as possible.

- i'm only a danger to those i'm around
CrazyMac
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always enjoyed humor; with my group it always has made or broke the game. For example, we had just lost one of our most beloved PC's when he was foolish to go head to head with an automaton whle dual-wielding machetes. Here is the exchanged that followed immediately afterwards:

Jacko the Cyborg: “May I eat his flesh?”
Rodger: “Eat his flesh and I blow out your brain.”
Jacko: “So? Some cultures would honored!”
<<terrified looks from the fellow party members... and the Marshal>>
Jacko: “Don’t look at me like that, I have lived a long and disturbing life!”
Laces
Seasoned

Location: A place where they wouldn't waste a ghost rock tac-nuke

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

speaking of automaton fights, I have a pretty funny tale. I was running a game with nothing but newbies. They have played other rpgs, but are the type who try to do stuff when it's not their action. So I was giving them a crash in Hell... on Earth. Well one of my friends wanted to run a game, and since I was going to tpk them anyway I decided to do it that game session. So they where searching an empty town when along the fence they heard some scratching and squeeks at a weak spot. So the readied their weapons, which they didn't know how to use thanks to me, kicked the weak spot, and a lone radrat fell out. Well 6 members, one rat, I was even on jacks by the time they all killed it. My next card was a 3. So I kept counting down the actions, which an experienced party would of know somthing bad was comeing, till I hit that 3 and then 50 more radrats poured through the fence. After a couple of actions, and not wanting to run a massive combate, I told them that the rats started to explode in a shower of gunfire. When they looked over to see where it was comeing from, they say 3 automatons. Next round, 2 of them shot up some of the players, but they chipped it. Time was running low as the session was ending, then I saw 2 of the automatons had 9s and one had a jack. I sleved the jack. On 9s all hell broke loose. The automatons formed a triangle around the possie, raised their guns, and shot EACH OTHER to pieces. The possie didn't have any idea what was about to happen. My 2 friends who played as much as I have started screaming "your sick, your sick." Then boom. Just for fun I rolled damage on the automaton blasts, I knew they didn't have a chance. I rolled the 6d20 for the first blast for one of my possie. The whole group thought she lucked out when she had just enough chips to use so she wouldn't die. Then I picked up the 6d20 again and said "ok now for the second blast." At that point they knew it was all over. Moral to the story. When you see 3 automatons and have weapons you don't know how to use, RUN!!!!!!
All unborn dream of birth, all birthed dream of life, all living dream of glory, all glorious dream of death, all dead dream of consuming the living's flesh, all eaten dream of turning, all turned gorge themselves beside their brethren.
Wendigo1870
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny stuff is prevalent in our HoE.

In the beginning, my players were very prone to infighting. One of the PC's (Squeaky Bob) touches some corpse meat and tastes some blood while trackin'. The other PC's declare him a cannibal, which he actually starts doing later on, because of these accusations. I think there was also some shotgun-shooting involved, followed by eating his blown-off legs.

Then there was the posse with two robo-hunters. One starts to threaten a mechanic into doing his bidding, by playing russian roulette. The PC pulls the trigger, I roll a D6 (the loaded chamber being 1), and so I get - 1! Without mechanic or back-up juice, the robohunter walks into the wastelands 'till he runs all out. There's still a Robo-suit standing somewhere in the wastes, with a dried-out corpse inside.

Then there are random funnies, such as the cadaver of a crashed spermwhale on the road, or ASHley, the girl who tries to catch monsters in her dodekahedrons (Pokéthullu anyone Laughing ?)
bigfirie
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL! The ASHley one is a classic, and I'm going to have to steal that one I think. A derranged little girl running around with these special balls that she throws at monsters to try and catch them. My wife, who used to be a Pokemon fan is going to laugh her self silly when the party encounters the little girl. She will even talk to the monsters that she has already collected, though she wont actually show the party any of them.

Of course, when the party sees that the little girl actually DOES catch a monster, and they realise how many monsters she claims to have actually captured already........
Wendigo1870
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I imagined 2 (3) things:

"I choose you, Mojave Rattler!"
A: "Jay, you won! Uh? You're evolving, ... in Rattler King!"
or
B: "M.R., Atta-" <CHOMP. BURP>
or

"There's a monster. Gotta Catch'em all!" Throws pokéball. Monster doesn't vanish in ball, unwanted attention of monster attracted to PC's. PC's kick ASHley towards monster so they can come up with a plan while ASHley gets rended into shreds.

In another game (Demon City Shinjuku) I took a pet sidekick with me: an Electroshock-capable hamster, called Fafnir. #1imu2

I was also thinking that a junker could maybe even make such pokéball artifacts, ...
Wendigo1870
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my players once sneaked up to a Black Hat real close, and instead of just shooting/whacking him, he TIED HIS SHOELACES TOGETHER! (He invested some chips in pulling it off too). So, in the following events, I decided the Black Hat fell down when the player attracted his attention, and dropped his gun down a nearby shaft while doing so - resulting in head-explody #blowup ! I rewarded the player with a new chip too for making it up and pulling it off.
Pure Evil Model: D
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twice when someone needed needed a name for someone in their past they used my name. So I was a Templar Mentor in HoE and in the Weird West I was a harrowed character's murderer.

I had a reoccuring NPC that the posse just called "the stinky guy". he was a twitchy, pale, bald, dwarfed mutant in black robes. at random intervals pockmarks in his skin would issue a thick purple gas that stunk and made a gross sound. Mutants fart jokes.... and when he was under attack, he had a skunk/octopus reaction. He would issue this gas from all over his body, making a large stinking, blinding cloud that he could use to escape.

We had a new player once who just showed up with one of the veteran players, so we had the character do likewise. One of the characters asked his character, "who's your new friend?" to which the the other players answered without missing a beat "dis ma bitch." the poor newbie never had a chance to pick a name. so the syker, "Ma Bitch" came into being.

Printfection Store! Tons of new designs and styles
CafePress Store!
bigfirie
Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One that happened last weekend during our regular game. My wife plays a Doomsayer, and has the worst luck with dice. She very seldom goes bust, but she also very seldom rolls well. With Atomic blast she's usually pushing her luck to get even a single raise, which makes it a pretty useless spell really - especially if the enemy is wearing armour at all (or is something like a Wendigo that has natural armour).

This weekend she was on a roll - and she'd just learned Nuke. Oh, and I hadn't looked at the errata so it was still a d20 damage. Mind you, even the revised d12 based damage is pretty impressive.

The scene, a group of 8 wolflings charging the party and a flying Wendigo above them. Two PCs take out the flying Wendigo with rifle fire while the cyborg does 2 called head shots at 100 yards with a .50 sniper rifle. So he's pretty full of himself. The Syker is sitting there counting down the range before he can use arson when my wife finally gets to go - wolflings now at just OVER 70 yards. She rolls a 25 on her Faith - 7d20 massive damage to all 6 remaining wolflings.

There was shocked silence around the table, broken only by my wife's hysterical giggle. At first it was awe that kept them quiet, then it began to sink in that they were only a yard or two outside the 1d20 damage zone and it dawned on them that she had absolutely no control over the blast radius of the spell...
Wendigo1870
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how did it go? TPK? Nuked and vaporized Posse? Hope your wife had bad damage dice rollin'!
Sucks to be her then though. #1crying
bigfirie
Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, they were lucky (and I was a bit generous) and just outside the blast so escaped scott free. It was enough that they realised what the spell is capable of and how fine they cut it. Its going to be funny to see how they react next time she decides to cast it...
Floyd Yoder
Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"So how did you enjoy your first trip to Dempsey World?"

"I don't know why your generation liked that place at all."

Good ending lines for the most brutal session we've had.
DocS
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that HoE begs for humor. S-Mart Overlord, Head cases, adventures with headings "I am The Wormling, goo goo gatchoo". Exactly how seriously can you take it?

I love The Fizzers, and used them as a great obstacle. I even wrote a page of The Gospel of Fizz, an entire texts made of nothing but old soda-pop sloagans, and at the end, they warned the coming of the Fearsome being, known only as...

The UnCola.....

When I said that, the players who were old enough to remember the commercials gave me the sentiment that keeps me going in HoE, "you're a sick sick man."
horrorman009
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone has every watched a horror movie, you know that humor is a necessity. It relieves tension so that is can be built up again. And since the Deadlands line is a horror base then you most certainly need the humor but yes, it can't be a constant. To all who use it, good work. To those that continually stick to horror, try a spec of humor in your games. It really does work.
oss1ncrp
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my group, humor is great - but only when it's unplanned. Every planned comedy act anyone tries, doesn't work. The stuff that's unplanned, though, CLASSIC!

Quick example. We had a Huckster join the HOE campaign. He explained to us that he could do amazing things, he just didn't know how. Good cover. So our first encounter, he gives us the hands off - I can handle it line. We back off and he draws Cr-p! Nothing happens and we need to save his butt fromt he zombies. then he's on his own in this sewer and draws a flush. Next time we see him he's braggin about what he did. Then he gets to more chance in front of us and the cards come up bust both times. Next time he's alone, 3 aces. It was hilarious. He could only make things happen when no one was near him. I know it was coincidence of the cards, but damn it was funny. Savage Jack
ScooterinAB
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the funniest Deadlands storries I've heard (unfortunately, I wasn't in this game at the time), was one of the last game my best friend ran. He rolled up this Ancient Kung Fu Lord as a villian.

The scene is in a saloon (I think). Basically, the guy walks in and starts causing trouble. The posse steps in, and the Fung Fu Lord screams out "Fear my Thousand Ages Kung Fu!" and his head promply explodes. The syker, who was responsible said "I guess it was too much for him."

One of my best lines was when I was playing Savage Worlds with my friend and his old roommate. We were doing this Indiana Jones type thing. I was an archeology student working on my thesis, and my prof sends me off to find something (I don't even remember what) in the jungles of South America. The session was filled with jokes.

The other player, who was playing this British sharpshooter, was outside on watch, when these boars are spotted nearby. My character is asleep in the tent, and the other guy ditches me to chase after the boars. after I few minutes, I pipe up and say "The boars are a red herring. An anaconda eats you." We all laughed so hard I think we each peed a little.

EDIT: I just remembered 2 other funny encounters.

Now, in Deadlands (or most other games for that fact), the party usually assembles after a fight breaks out. Basically, the line "Your a good shot. What's your name" comes up alot.

So my friend's character is camped out in the desert on night. This guys strolls in. They take for a nit, then some stupid night time encounter happens. My friend said to the guy afterwards "You're a good shot stranger, what's your name?" The guy replies. My friend, without missing a beat, says "Alright, I'm going to bed". The GM replies "You idiot. You just met this guy, and now you are leaving him to take watch? He's a VAMPIRE! He eats you!"

Another time, we are attacked in our sleep by a group of dogs o' war. My friend (same one) takes a wound to his neck. He makes his medicine roll. Bust. The GM says that, in order to stop the bleeding, he must stuff the wound with sand. He does it. A few days later, the wound starts to get infected. He makes a medicine roll. Bust. The GM says that the wound is infected, and that he will die if he doesn't "carve the injury off". So he reaches for his machete... On a side note, the GM's mother in law i a doctor. He asked what would happen if you packed a wound with dirt and sand. She said that you would probably die.
Tuesday
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GM: "He's going to bleed to death in a minute at most if you don't do something."

Player 1: "Okay, I cast a healing spell." (roll, roll, roll, critical failure)

GM: "... you just critfailed a trivial healing spell? Oh, that's not good."

Player 2: "I supposed he's stopped bleeding now, at least."

Player 3: "Finished. He's FINISHED bleeding. Slight difference."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: