Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

All Rules Questions for the Sci-Fi Toolkit Series
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Official Answers on How the Rules In Other Pinnacle Products Work
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Clint/Wiggy Sombody help me...Grubman!!! Reply with quote

Praxx wrote:
The pilot proceeded to perform the Maneuver (Flee) Page 103 of the rule book. Needles to say he defeated the pilots handedly and got away in three rounds? I could not get my head around a larger slower craft "Fleeing" two fast attack craft.

I know Wiggy kind of covered this, but I just wanted to be sure on a general rules front. The pilot won three rolls in a row against the two fighters? Plus, I assume he also beat them in the rolls for their manuevers as well?

Not saying it couldn't happen (we are talking about Extras versus a Wild Card Ace), just that the odds seem long, and if the player pulled it off, I think he still earned it even if it seemed "easy."

Anyway, one other thing to consider would be the sidebar in the SFGTK on Handling. The smaller craft would have a Handling bonus over the other ship that would give them a bit of an edge in the chase.

www.peginc.com
Praxx
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 2:20 pm    Post subject: Update - Ship to ship combat Reply with quote

Hey guys #gunbattle
I have some follow up questions regarding ship to ship combat.
Thanks for the HANDELING INFORMATION it really helped during the follow up combat between ships.
We encountered three fighters tasked with intercepting us and destroying our ship. Two fighters were mooks and the third was a WC ace. During combat our pilot again used the maneuver flee, and started to run. On the first round he beat the mooks but not the WC. On the second round I again dealt out the Initiative and Position cards. The three fighters started out a 200. The WC was able to Change position and close in to 25! With the new hand (we were 2 of spades) the two mook fighters (2 clubs, 3 hearts) were now 25 and 50? (And continued to fail their piloting rolls verses our ace) and the WC (Ace of Diamonds) was now 550! What the hell. It made no sense.
What I did was declare that the mooks could not reengage in combat until they defeated our Ace pilot (in skill rolls). Our ace pilot had to keep Fleeing in order to continue to keep the mooks at bay. The WC was all over us and I kept with the rules for Initiative and position. Does this seem like a correct way to rule ship to ship combat?
Here is a recap for you to enjoy...k
What Happened
Mission Log for July 1st
Firefly Campaign

After our run in with the Chronic Gang on Planet 100268-2, we took Coldin Drake’s niece back to Niskaz Rift. After a quick stop we found out that Coldin had gone back to Luxos to wait for our arrival. A short two weeks later we found ourselves back in the Grunwals Sector on the outskirts of the Luxos System (our newly acquired Blockade runner was twice as fast as the Forlorn Hope but still a “HOT” ship). We contacted Colden while out of system and asked him to link up with us for the recovery of his “cargo”. Colden met us shortly after that and listened to our abbreviated findings on plane 100268-2 and the fate of the Terra Ariel. Disappointed with the loss of his daughter and son in law Colden was relieved that his niece still lived. After a short negotiation Colden handed out $10,000.00 credits to the crew of the “Forlorn Hope” as spending cash to keep them while he arraigned for the recovery and sale of the old colony ship.
Relieved that their work was complete the crew of the Forlorn Hope traveled with Colden back to Luxos for some well deserved R&R. Captain Max took his new ship back to Niskaz Rift to arrange a “retrofit” complete with new Core ID (nice). Niska delayed payment for the “upgrade” until he could arrange for payment (Captain Max left Niskaz Rift owing the old man a Debt to be paid off in the future). Once back in the Luxose system to retrieve his crew Max finds that they have a lucrative contract to assist with a rescue mission by our old friend Luxon Phar (the executive for the Gas Mining Company). This was a simple recovery mission that was of course not so simple. Everything seemed normal but the crew of the “new” ship Georgies Star ran into trouble after a few days planet side. There is an ongoing feud with the crew as to what the name of the new ship will be. It seems that the marines billeted with us to assist with the survey teams rescue succumbed to a Psychoactive chemical found in the native plant life that causes violent paranoia? After barely surviving the attack of trained star marines (of six wild card players only 2 people were uninjured and the robot was slightly damaged) three players were critically injured with life threatening injuries. Corbin almost lost his right arm. Green man suffered spinal trauma, and Bishop was almost repeatedly cut in half with heavy weapons fire.
After a long convalescence (three months) the crew of the “Flying Commode – submitted by the repair bot” were ready for action.
Part Two
Shawn takes over
Working for Niska

The mission was simple and straight forward. We were to intercept a brief case between X and Y parties, and deliver it to party Z. All with the warning “Do Not Open the Brief Case”. Simple and straight forward. The retrieval of the brief case was completed with a heavy loss of life for parties X and Y. After that we proceeded to another system two weeks away to deliver brief case to party Z. On our way we ran into a derelict freighter that had been visited by the Reavers and saw their handy work up close and personal. Shortly after leaving the derelict behind we were ambushed by three small fighter ships. Luckily we had a hot shot pilot who was able to loose two of the smaller fighters and we only had to deal with a WC fighter pilot. Thank God for action cards (Mechanical malfunction) we were able to put the small fighters RAIL CANNON out of commission prior to it making our new ship tin foil. After a very lucky shot the Robot was able to shoot the pilot right out of the cockpit on the opposing ship. An autopilot system engaged and started the small fighter on a return flight back to its home system. With some good maneuvering we were able to mach speeds and disable the fighter’s engines. Needing to keep our mission schedule we dropped the repair bot off on the ship with equipment and tools and continued on our way. At our destination we ran into party Z and delivered Niskaz’s brief case. Unfortunately the delivery was a double cross. It seems the crew of the “Megatron” were now the enemy number one of the Cronic Syndicate. A huge gun fight ensued with a satchel charge included to “teach those interlopers a lesson”. Green man won 1000.00$ credits playing a new game called “Last man Standing”, very interesting. After delivering our package we then reported back to Niska that our end of the deal was done. Niska appreciated our good work and said he would be in touch.
This ends the mission log for the crew of “what the hell are we going to call this ship”.
Wiggy
Legendary

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Update - Ship to ship combat Reply with quote

Praxx wrote:
Hey guys #gunbattle
I have some follow up questions regarding ship to ship combat.
Thanks for the HANDELING INFORMATION it really helped during the follow up combat between ships.

Is there a question specific to the SF Toolkits in your post?

Asking for advice on whether you ran ship combat okay really belongs in the General SW forum, where I'm sure all the Savages would happily give advice and tips.

And while your story recap was cool, could you post them in the SW General froum as well in future, please? Or better yet, send them to me as Savage Session reports so we can PDF them for all the fans to read. It just stops this thread getting cluttered.

Thanks,

Wiggy
Boulder
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:20 pm    Post subject: Critical Hits? Reply with quote

Wiggy,

Am I just overlooking the rules? How do you determine a critical hit for Power Armor and Mechs?
Our Shop!!!
Wiggy
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:58 am    Post subject: Re: Critical Hits? Reply with quote

Boulder wrote:
Wiggy,

Am I just overlooking the rules? How do you determine a critical hit for Power Armor and Mechs?

Power Armor is just armor, albeit with gadgets, so it doesn't really take critical hits.

Mechs are treated just like other vehicles. Score a wound against it, roll on the Critical Hit table. Only change I'd consider making to the table is entry 5 (Controls). Instead of only turn left or right, I'd probably impose -1 to all rolls with the mech to represent shorting systems, fried controls, etc.

Wiggy
Sunwolf
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wiggy,
What is the relationship between spaces?

Are Vehicle spaces the same as mech spaces? I'm assuming power armor spaces are smaller.

I want to add a targeting computer and laser targeting to a mech and an trying to figure out space requirements.

Thanks

Second rule, don't forget the trappings

Rule #6: If violence wasn't your last resort, you failed to resort to enough of it.
Wiggy
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunwolf wrote:
Wiggy,
What is the relationship between spaces?

Are Vehicle spaces the same as mech spaces? I'm assuming power armor spaces are smaller.

I want to add a targeting computer and laser targeting to a mech and an trying to figure out space requirements.

Thanks

Vehicles and mechs are roughly similar in scale. Close enough not to fret over. Power Armor is much smaller and starships much bigger (naturally).

I originally had targeting computers for vehicles and mechs, but took them out to save space. I think I had 1 space for +1 Shooting bonus and 2 spaces for +2 bonus. Not huge bonuses, but combined with an improved stabilizer it all helps.

I converted a load of rules from BattleTech for my own Savage BT game. You'll get some cool ideas if you can grab some of the Tech Readouts (3050 especially handy).

Wiggy
charliebananas
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange one this, is the place for me to post an racial edge I've created to see if I've got the point cost right, and also how much would you say the cost of an edge would be diminished if the effects were available to all, in a lesser form, as a drug.

Cheers
Mike.
Wiggy
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

charliebananas wrote:
Strange one this, is the place for me to post an racial edge I've created to see if I've got the point cost right, and also how much would you say the cost of an edge would be diminished if the effects were available to all, in a lesser form, as a drug.

Cheers
Mike.

No, this isn't the right place Smile Head over to the general forum or Homebrew.

Wiggy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Official Answers on How the Rules In Other Pinnacle Products Work All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: