Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Group Project: The Savage City (please participate :))
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Savage City's Top Chef: Emeril or Bobby Flay?
Alton Brown
18%
 18%  [ 9 ]
Alton Brown
18%
 18%  [ 9 ]
Alton Brown
18%
 18%  [ 9 ]
Alton Brown
18%
 18%  [ 9 ]
That "Good Eats" Guy
6%
 6%  [ 3 ]
That "Good Eats" Guy
6%
 6%  [ 3 ]
That "Good Eats" Guy
6%
 6%  [ 3 ]
That "Good Eats" Guy
6%
 6%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 48

grubman
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:43 am    Post subject: Group Project: The Savage City (please participate :)) Reply with quote

OK, lets give it a try! In response to the thread “The Worlds Most Savage Dungeon”, ( http://www.peginc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8678&sid=005035b5d3f17d9133dda3188dadad00 )we are going to build a fantasy base town for adventures. This is going to be a group project. We are going to build the town from the ground up.

Just to put some rules on the whole thing:

First off, realize that once you submit this is going to be public and free, it‘s for FUN! Artists and writers will retain rights to all their creations, if it comes down to that. Don’t tread on any of GWG/PEGs copyrights. Don’t plagiarize or convert existing published material…this is all original!!

Submission Process:
Step One: Read this thread
Step Two: Make a post giving a brief summary of the type of location and people you are going to create
Step Three: Write up the whole thing, edit it and try to get someone to do some illustrations for you (If you can).
Step Four: Send it to beezer1st@yahoo.com
Step Five: Be patient, this isn’t going to happen overnight Wink

Submission details:

You can submit up to 3 buildings/locations, and detail up to 12 Extras and 1 Wild Card. Each location and all its information (including stat blocks) should fit on 1 page.

I will do the whole thing in a two column format. So set your word processor to that. The format below gives the font and size for the various headers. I can accept attachments in PDF, Microsoft Works, Microsoft Word, or you can simply cut and paste, and I’ll work it up.

Each submission should use the following format. Ask questions if you find this confusing.

Title (16 pt. Bold Papyrus in shadowbox)
By: Who it’s by (that’s you) (12 pt. Times New Roman)
Art By: If you include any art (12 pt. Times New Roman)
10 point space
Place: (12 point bold papyrus, Align Right, underline)
Place Body: (10 point Times New Roman) This is where you describe what the locations main function is, where it is located in town, and it’s appearance.
10 point space
People: (12 point bold papyrus, Align Right, underline)
People Body: (10 point Times New Roman) This is where you describe any cool people (extras and wildcards) that inhabit this location.
10 point space
Behind the Scenes: (12 point bold papyrus, Align Right, underline)
BtS Body: (10 point Times New Roman) This is where you describe all the cool stuff about the location that isn’t apparent at first glance, or that hasn’t already been detailed in Place or People.

Wild Card/extra format example: (use papyrus, bold, 12 point for all names, use 10 pt for body, bold for headers)

Mr. Logan:
Attributes: Agility D6, Smarts D8, Spirit D4, Strength D6, Vigor D6
Skills: Gambling D4, Knowledge (Cattle Baron) D12, Riding D8, Shooting D6
Pace: 6 Parry: 2 Toughness: 5
Hindrances: Vengeful
Edges: Rich, Marksman
Gear: Pistol (2D6) 12/24/48, Deck of Cards, $35

Etiquette:

To make this work there is going to have to be some interaction with the characters in the town. Everyone has the right to work with characters created by other people…but be courteous, don’t do something you think will piss another person off. Better yet, ask the author of said location before proceeding.

For example. I’m Joe Schmo, and I’m about to a Weapons shop. I notices Jane Smith already made a weapon shop. That’s cool, I’m sure there is room for more than one in town. I decide that Joes weapon shop holds a sword fighting competition each year. For fun, I decide to include Janes weapon shop in the competition. Now, to say, “Joe and Jane have a healthy competition at the Sword fighting contest, and one of their fighters always wins. Whoever wins the trophy has bragging right for the year!” is perfectly fine, hopefully Jane will enjoy the extra dimension that has been added to her location. To say, “Joe woops up on everyone at his competition. Those weasels from Janes always enter, but Joe crushes them!” is not cool…unless Joe already contacted Jane and got her permission to add those details.

The Town:

The working title is Town of the Shark, the Savage City (suggestions welcome, in fact all names are working names).

Sir Hensley II the Shark Slayer has been granted the wilder lands north of the empire by the emperor himself. During his explorations, he found an ancient ruined city and sewer system. While most of the buildings were long destroyed, the sewer system seemed intact. He decided to build his fortress here. In a short time, the Town of the Shark sprang into existing, boasting a population of around 2,000.

The town is multi level, being built on the rising plateau leading up to a mountain range to the immediate north. Sir Hensleys fortress sits on the highest plateau, overlooking the town, with the mountains as his backdrop. To the south is 300 ft. wide chasm that plunges into complete darkness. To the east, the great river of Wiggy runs from the mountains, ending at a waterfall that plummets into the depths of the chasm. To the west is the foreboding wood of darkness.
grubman
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grubman, this sounds like fun! I'll participate! I'm going to detail Hensleys Bridge! This is a large stone bridge that spans the bottomless chasm to the south. It is the main entrance into the land surrounding the town. The Bridge has a standing Guard garrisoned in a guard tower that is part of the bridge. I will detail the captain of the guard (Wild Card) and the 6 guards that work the bridge.

Wink
discuit
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea!

I'll do "Zork's Gizmo's & Other Neat Stuff"

A small (and very messy) emporium of wierd gadgets and other neat "stuff", run by the Zork twins, Zeke and Zep Zork, Very Happy

Smile

Ps - What races can we use?
charliebananas
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good...

I'll do The Temple Of Lunar Mae
Lunar Mae is the goddess of the night, her cult is small but growing fast. The temple is run by the priestess Kayla (wild card) and 4 initiates.
MightyCthulhu
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll do Shenko's Apothecary.
Shenko is an elderly Goblin Herbalist/Hedge Mage. His business is small but somehow he gets by. Occasionally he receives strange visitors at odd hours...
discuit
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

charliebananas wrote:
Sounds good...

Lunar Mae is the goddess of the night, her cult is small but growing fast. The temple is run by the priestess Kayla (wild card) and 4 initiates.

Ohhh, someone now needs to do a temple dedicated to light or healing or nature in the village too!

That could create some interesting political/social roleplaying situations. Savage Jack

Hmm, actually, a quick question Grubby. Should these "locations" avoid specific themes/gods etc so as to be usefull to any fantasy setting Question

Last edited by discuit on Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:44 am; edited 3 times in total
Bill
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll do the Overlook Inn, one of the first Inn's in town. The proprieter is an ex-adventurer who lost one leg trying to explore the underworld but was lucky enough to marry the woman who nursed him back to health and overcome his handicap. Jonas One Leg and his plain wife Henrietta. The Inn is popular with adventurers as Jonas also runs a small adventuring "store" selling things an adventurer may need (and cast offs of things adventurers that did not return left in rooms as collateral). The rooms are reasonable, the food is good, and the company mixed. It is not the place where Nobles stay but they do come here to occasionally slum!
Boulder
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dibs on the Cult of the Five Fingers.

A temple dedicated to the God of Thievery.
Our Shop!!!
Bretbo
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea, Grubman!

I'll do the abandoned Ragmire Sawmill. The facility, which includes a giant windmill, is located East near the Wiggy River. It was abandoned due to several mishaps causing workers to believe it was haunted. What mysteries hide in this cursed place?
Bill
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My second offering will be "Zed's Blacksmithy". Zed Steelhammer is a Dwarven Blacksmith from the Steelhammer clan. His family group came to the town shortly after the Fortress was started and he built his blacksmith shop into the escarpment to keep the feeling of being underground. His family is with him and together they cater to the many adventurers that frequent the area and the local militia. His charges are only one tenth the cost of new to repair items (one twentieth for other dwarves and one fifth for elves-until the decendents pay back what the original elves "stold" from his clan some 2,000 years ago with intrest). He has some weapon and armor lore and can, for a small price, often identify unusual weapons and armor. He also sells used items for half price (which he will happily repair for standard prices) and will buy used items for twenty percent of what they were new. He is good enough to aid in creating magic items but knows no magic himself, or so he claims.
DaoLong
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I have time I will write something up on Alcazar "The Magnificent" and his school for magical learning.

His books "Teaching Magic to the Unwashed Masses" and "Fire Magic and you, a primer" are still highly acclaimed in the wizarding world.

Granted, its been a while since hes had a pupil, and even longer since he has had one that survived the training... But that wont stop you from signing up for his course... Will it?
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."
George Carlin
MightyCthulhu
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Group Project: The Savage City (please participate :)) Reply with quote

grubman wrote:
Ask questions if you find this confusing.

Title (16 pt. Bold Papyrus in shadowbox)

Where do I get the Papyrus font and what is a shadowbox?
charliebananas
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

discuit wrote:
charliebananas wrote:
Sounds good...

Ohhh, someone now needs to do a temple dedicated to light or healing or nature in the village too!

That could create some interesting political/social roleplaying situations. Savage Jack

Hmm, actually, a quick question Grubby. Should these "locations" avoid specific themes/gods etc so as to be usefull to any fantasy setting Question

I was thinking the same. Twisted Evil
Maldroth
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a good idea but its a better seed to an encounter you might find in the dungeon itself. Wouldn't fit in just one page.
jyates
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way cool concept. Like Sanctuary, only RPG instead of novel.

A temple dedicated to day/sun is (to my mind) more complementary to the already proposed Lunar Mae -- can't have one without the other. But if there were two "cults of the night" THAT would be intrigue and conflict, even if (or better if) subtle.

Man, I need to get work to quit giving me assignments... I wanna write up the second night cult. I'll have to contact creator of Lunar Mae and whomever picks up the sun cult to fit it in and make sure I don't step on any toes.

Oh, and I'm confused as to what a shadowbox is as well. Question
"...if you can accept Zombies made from turnips..." -- The Loremaster. TURNIPS???
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Boulder
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jyates wrote:
Oh, and I'm confused as to what a shadowbox is as well. Question

A shadowbox is a style of border around text. Create a box around the text, reveal your formatting, and change the style to shadow. That is assuming your using Word.
Our Shop!!!
Maldroth
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jyates,

what I had in mind would have been a "shadow" cult of sorts. The leader's essence is passed from one loyal member to another and this entity continues to exist until the host is all used up. If need be it could inhabit another unwilling host.
MightyCthulhu
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like it would be more efficient to have 1 editor compile the submissions and format them all uniformly. It's not clear to me why authors should worry about anything other than content.
Pure Evil Model: D
Heroic

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to do a nasty, seedy tavern in the worst part of town, the place that those in the know go to for things not-so-legal.

Printfection Store! Tons of new designs and styles
CafePress Store!
King Zombie
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow....I've got an old adventure (if I can find it) I wrote for Tunnels and Trolls that had a really cool Bar in it. It'a a great tavern for a big city (or small).

I'll dig that up and work on it between my regular job and my graduate classes and homework.

Just to give a hint as the kind of bar, it's run by a Legendary Wizard who's settled down from a life of adventuring. Lots of knowledge to be found....but don't try to steal or start fights on the premises.
http://zombiemarch.org
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 1 of 12

Jump to: