Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which is easier to Savage, GURPS or D20?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which is easier to Savage?
GURPS
7%
 7%  [ 8 ]
GURPS
7%
 7%  [ 8 ]
GURPS
7%
 7%  [ 8 ]
GURPS
7%
 7%  [ 8 ]
D20
17%
 17%  [ 20 ]
D20
17%
 17%  [ 20 ]
D20
17%
 17%  [ 20 ]
D20
17%
 17%  [ 20 ]
Total Votes : 112

Savage Jedi
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:59 pm    Post subject: Which is easier to Savage, GURPS or D20? Reply with quote

I was thinking of picking up Prime Directive. It comes in two flavors GURPS and D20. Seeing how the only thing I'll ever run will be Savage Worlds I was wondering which engine do you guys think Savages more easily.
Ben Jackson
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted d20, although I have never personally done any converting. The reason I voted for d20 is because there is a conversion guide right in SWR. I am interested in the results of this poll, though, because I definately want to start converting. (have to get a lot more experience under my belt, first Smile)

"Ben Jackson - Savage Worlds Evangelist." - dap6000
lamrok
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vote for GURPS because, in general, translating a Universal system to a Universal system is fairly easy. I've translated loads of GURPS stuff to Hero over the years with no problems at all.
fanchergw
Heroic

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, since there is a d6 version coming, you might want to wait for that. From what I know of the system, it is probably more similar to SW than either GURPS or d20.

Gordon
Big_Pete
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that GURPS has more usable source material than D20, which I find to be Rules heavy.

Pete
jblittlefield
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO, neither -- you don't convert the numbers, just the feel when Savaging a setting, so rule sets are irrelevant. I can just as easily Savage Palladium as I can GURPS or D20 or D6 or whatever. Wink
Revolution 9
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JB said it first. Just go with whichever version has better background info and so forth. Don't worry too much about the numbers.

Final Fantasy is neither final nor fantasy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
screenmonkey
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since either will convert as well as the other (though i think GURPS will go better, it really depends on which of the two you're more familiar with), the question is which will be a better quality book. GURPS products are better than d20 products as a rule of thumb. Go with the GURPS version.
razorwise
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While you don't convert the numbers literally, they do have importance when it comes to relative scale of creatures abilties, attributes, and skills. I'm surprised no one suggested converting from the system you're most familiar and comfortable with (i.e. Gurps or D20). That's what I would do with all other variables being equal. Smile

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Sean
The Blur is Now on G+
Savage Jedi
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the help guys, especially jb for reminding me that rule sets aren't as important when converting to SW. I never had a choice between two systems for one setting and I guess it threw me off.

I'll probably go with GURPS version for the reasons Big Pete brought up, which I agree with.

PAT!
Wiggy
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Which is easier to Savage, GURPS or D20? Reply with quote

Savage Jedi wrote:
I was thinking of picking up Prime Directive. It comes in two flavors GURPS and D20. Seeing how the only thing I'll ever run will be Savage Worlds I was wondering which engine do you guys think Savages more easily.

Also comes in tasty Original System flavor as well Smile

Wiggy
jblittlefield
Legendary

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

razorwise wrote:
While you don't convert the numbers literally, they do have importance when it comes to relative scale of creatures abilties, attributes, and skills.

Not really -- I don't even look at game stats. I read descriptions, read background, review the various roles within the game/adventure and make my decisions based on these. I wasn't kidding when I said convert the feel, not the numbers. Wink
razorwise
Legendary

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill, that may work fine for you and others with more experience in conversion; people newer to the process need some direction. Take for example an alien that is listed as really strong---is that a d8, d10, d12, or higher? It varies based upon the writer's skill and the reader's perception. But most people have the baseline experience to know, in a d20 game, that a Str of 14 is gonna rank lower than one of 18. If Shane and company didn't think it was necessary and thought it could all be instinctual, I doubt they'd waste the space to put the conversion chart in the book. Smile

Just my two cents. I'm sure your process works fine for you, but a lot of people are more comfortable with guidelines until they get a feel for the process.

Personally, as I go through conversion processes of various products and systems, I don't attempt a literal translation, either. To do so, can take a lot of time and effort with little, if any noticeable, effect on gameplay, so I see your point. I'll just emphasize that everyone is new once and we should all remember that and look at it from their perspective. Smile

Ultimately, the feel of the setting is the thing, sure, and however you get there is fine. Proof of success is everyone having a good time.

Regards,

Sean
The Blur is Now on G+
jblittlefield
Legendary

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

razorwise wrote:
Bill, that may work fine for you and others with more experience in conversion; people newer to the process need some direction.

Oh, I agree -- I just meant that the importance of the numbers was relative. Wink
jeff
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Which is easier to Savage, GURPS or D20? Reply with quote

Wiggy wrote:
Savage Jedi wrote:

Also comes in tasty Original System flavor as well Smile

Wiggy

That's what I've been working to convert. As soon as I can finish typing it up, I'll see about submitting it to Shark Bytes.
Vonether
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prime Directive ... that Star Trek, right?

Well, in that case you do it in true Savage fashion. You reach out to the great SW fan base and find what's on the fan sites to give you a jump start.

www.savageheros.com is a great place to start.
http://www.savageheroes.com/conversions.htm
Mr. Freak
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D20 by a long shot, now most of the low level Gurps stuff is easy to savage, but when you start trying to get the gritty realism that is in Trans Human space or some of the other math heavy Sci-Fi settings it does not work too well.
scourger
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Which is easier to Savage, GURPS or D20? Reply with quote

Savage Jedi wrote:

I'd say d20 because I'm more familiar with it. But in this case I'll suggest GURPS because I've got GURPS Prime Directive and you're welcome to it. Send me a PM if interested.
Savage Jedi
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Which is easier to Savage, GURPS or D20? Reply with quote

scourger wrote:

I'd say d20 because I'm more familiar with it. But in this case I'll suggest GURPS because I've got GURPS Prime Directive and you're welcome to it. Send me a PM if interested.

I already picked it up, but thanx for the offer Very Happy.

I decided to go with GURPS because it seemed like it spent less space on mechanics and more on fluff.
Harshax
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jblittlefield wrote:
IMHO, neither -- you don't convert the numbers, just the feel when Savaging a setting, so rule sets are irrelevant. I can just as easily Savage Palladium as I can GURPS or D20 or D6 or whatever. Wink

Converting feel is exactly why I prefer GURPS worldbooks over D20 worldbooks. GURPS is all about feel, with a 100-Level College Paper attached. Take GURPS Space for instance, which I'm using as my World Builder source. GURPS Space presents discussions on how technology influences the world you want to build. Hard Science or Super Science? FTL Communication, or the Pony Express? GURPS Space in this instance provides enough hard science for you to grasp the feeling you're going for.

All the GURPS worldbooks, from what I've seen, focus on information and facts first, then on setting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: