Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[WW2] Optical Magnification Rifle Scopes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Official Settings & Companions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rerun941
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:32 pm    Post subject: [WW2] Optical Magnification Rifle Scopes Reply with quote

I am currently running a Weird War II campaign with the PCs recruited into Section XIII (Special Research Section) of Britain's Special Operations Executive.

One of my players is playing a sniper... however, I have been scouring the rulebooks and intarwebs for any kind of rules/options for optical scopes.

Here's some options that I've come up with:
Can only be mounted on rifles (in this case the Lee-Enfield No. 4)
The weapon's Snapfire penalty is an additional -2 (due to the additional weight)

Option 1: Reduces the Medium and Long range penalties to -0 and -2, respectively, but the Close range penalty becomes -2 Magnification makes it easier to hit targets at Medium and Long range, but harder to hit close range target. (Minimum focal length, and all that jazz.)

Option 2: The scope is set by the sniper for a particular distance (Close, Medium or Long) and the shooter much spend an action in order to adjust the scope to a new range, granting +2 to hit, for that range increment only.

Option 3: The scope grants +2 for called shots only.

Option 4: The scope only grants a benefit when the Aim maneuver is taken. (Marksman becomes an even more critical Edge for the sniper.)

A mix of the 4 above options, or maybe someone out there has a suggestion or two of their own.

Basically, the PC should be able to do these kinds of things:
Averjoe
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are going for some degree of realism, I would go with a combination of options 1, 2 and 4. Your player may feel this is restrictive, but it seems a fair rules implementation of a high-power sniper scope. It will make him super deadly at range, but will be a liability in close combat.

Averjoe
Averjoe
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are going for some degree of realism, I would go with a combination of options 1, 2 and 4. Your player may feel this is restrictive, but it seems a fair rules implementation of a high-power sniper scope. It will make him super deadly at range, but will be a liability in close combat.

Averjoe
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Core Rules:
Scopes give a +2 to shooting rolls at Medium range or longer.

Hell on Earth Reloaded:
The laser sight's benefits can extend beyond short range when combined with a scope.

There are some fan-made documents with other rules.

Most of those scenes are the shooter, not the scope. High shooting, Marksman at the end of the film (he takes less time to aim as the movie progresses; i.e. he gets a couple of advances), and possibly Trademark Weapon.
Scopes make it easier to see targets far away (thus, reducing range penalties), and narrow the field of view through the scope. Snapfire should be applied to the weapon if it doesn't already have it, but that's it (no need to make the penalty worse; shooting from the hip doesn't get more difficult because there is an extra pound of optics on the rifle). Scopes do not make a person magically better at shooting, though the ease of seeing the target downrange removes a challenge.

The benefit for a good shooter is that long range shots are just as difficult as short range shots. So, no extra penalties for Called Shots, full benefits for Aim, and fewer penalties overall. Which is what your four suggestions come to (except for #4, which is game breaking).
Remember, against a TN 4, the only way a wild card with a +2 will miss is if he critically fails. Do not have a scope allow all shots at +2; that will obliterate game balance.

Your specific ideas:
Base effects: Scopes suck and should not be used unless you're planning to sit in one easily shelled spot for the entire fight.
Option 1: Scoped weapons will be immediately dropped within short range, and a pistol will be used. Quick Draw is the second-most important sniper's edge. Which is kind of silly, to my mind.
Option 2: Everyone should use a scope. Set it to Short and it's perfect for close assault and clearing a room. If you can get one on a shotgun, that's even better.
Option 3: Scopes are useless unless you want to hit an arm or leg. They make those shots as easy as a normal shot (and the head is only a -2). Generally, scopes are not worth it - they impose a penalty (base effects) with a marginal benefit.
Option 4: With a scope and marksman, all shooting is at +4. You literally cannot miss a basic shot, barring critical failure, unless you're at long range. Otherwise, it's a +4 to shooting every other round, and still just as nasty (2d8, probably +d6, versus unarmored people). You're the grim reaper, choosing one to die every time you pull the trigger.
The One
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The topic has vome up quite recently, might br worth your time skimming this thread

http://www.peginc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=41661
Rerun941
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks gents! I have no idea why I've missed the mention of scopes in the Core Rules... (other than the fact that I'm mostly blind.)

I appreciate the feedback and quick response! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Official Settings & Companions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: