Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Variant Arcane Backgrounds
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What do you think so far? Shall I continue?
Sure!
23%
 23%  [ 23 ]
Sure!
23%
 23%  [ 23 ]
Sure!
23%
 23%  [ 23 ]
Sure!
23%
 23%  [ 23 ]
It's okay, but...
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
It's okay, but...
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
It's okay, but...
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
It's okay, but...
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 96

MadTinkerer
Legendary

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's one that's a little like the File Sharer Edge as a Power for modern Psychics:

Psychic Network
Power Points: 5
Range: Self
Duration: 1 hour

This power utilises the phenomena of "memes" and a connection to a mentally linked network of psionicists to temporarily add a power that a psionicist may use. This power must be one that the psionicist could choose at the last level-up (if the psionicist is Seasoned Rank, Novice or Seasoned Rank powers only). The power chosen temporarily replaces a power known by the psionicist other than this power. For example, a psionicist may choose to swap bolt for telekinesis but not detect/conceal arcana for psychic network. This power may be voluntarily ended early to retrive use of the swapped power.

Check out Mad Tinkerer Dot Org!
MadTinkerer
Legendary

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcane Backgrounds Without The Arcane Backgrounds

In this variant, all characters start with 10 Power Points. All of the Edges that normally require specific Arcane Backgrounds may be taken without those ABs, though the Arcane Skill requirements are the same. Each New Power chosen is "linked" to a specific Skill when chosen, even if the power could be used with more than one skill. A Hero may have d10 Faith and d8 Magic with bolt chosen as a Magic power and healing chosen as a Faith power. The player will always roll the Magic die when casting bolt, unless bolt is chosen as a New Power linked to Faith.

If the Extra Power Points Edge is taken with the Hindrance Points from one of the new Hindrances, it doesn't count against the normal "once per rank" limit.

There are four Skills and three Hindrances, with everything else being just like in the Savage Worlds Rulebook:

Faith (Spirit)
Your Hero has the ability to use "miraculous" spiritual powers because of faith in a deity or cause.
You may choose any power to link to this skill that is normally available to characters with Arcane Background (Miracles).

Magic (Smarts)
Your Hero has learned how to manipulate Arcane Energy, a mysterious but very effective force that permeates the world. You may choose any power to link to this skill that is normally available to characters with Arcane Background (Magic).

Psionics (Smarts)
Your Hero has learned how to tap into the power of the mind to produce amazing effects. You may choose any power to link to this skill that is normally available to characters with Arcane Background (Psionics).

Weird Science (Smarts)
This skill allows your Hero to make gadgets. The gadgets follow the same rules for Weird Science as explained in the Rulebook. You may choose any power to link to this skill that is normally available to characters with Arcane Background (Weird Science).

Backlash (Major)
Your Hero is especially good at casting spells, but unfortunately those spells have a tendency to go wrong. Your Hero is Shaken if a 1 is rolled on the Magic die. On the positive side, you may choose an additional Power that is linked to the Magic skill.
This Hindrance may be chosen even if the normal limit on chosing Hindrances is reached.

Brainburn (Major)
Your Hero is especially good at using psionic powers, but unfortunately has trouble controlling the psionic energy sometimes. Your Hero is Shaken if a 1 is rolled on the Psionics die. On the positive side, you may choose an additional Power that is linked to the Psionics skill.
This Hindrance may be chosen even if the normal limit on chosing Hindrances is reached.

Spirit Patron (Major)
Your Hero's spiritual powers actually come from a specific spirit, usually God Himself or another god depending on the campaign. The upside is extra Hindrance Points for taking this Hindrance, but you must now follow the tenants of your Patron as per the rules for Sinning from the Miracles AB in the Rulebook.

JackAce
Legendary

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Tink!

I heard there's this guy who's trying to put together some sort of Savage Worlds FanZine...

To pull something like that off he'll probably need some cool articles. Maybe you should present all this stuff to him. It might be just the type of thing he's looking for.

He seems to be all fired up for this project, but reaching him may prove difficult, 'cause until a few weeks back he always kept smashing up his PC with a big hammer.

Wink
MadTinkerer
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JackAce wrote:
To pull something like that off he'll probably need some cool articles. Maybe you should present all this stuff to him. It might be just the type of thing he's looking for.

Yes, some of this will end up in Shark Bytes! Smile

I have a couple more ABs I've been meaning to post here, but I've been busy tweaking them and trying to get my computer fixed and so on. I wasn't hitting my computer with a hammer, but I did uninstall something I couldn't have known I shouldn't have at the time. Argh... If I only had the Danger Sense Edge or precognition...

MadTinkerer
Legendary

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some new stuff for Deadlands!

A new Edge for Mad Scientists:

Improved Invention
Requirements: Novice, Arcane Background (Weird Science), Smarts d8, Knowlege (Engineering) d6
You have been tinkering around with one of your gizmos and have made it exponentially safer. That is: it's far, far, far less likely to explode now. Really. You can trust Science! Anyway, choose one Gizmo your Hero has invented. That invention now only explodes when snake eyes are rolled on the trait die and the wild die (and you can still spend Fate Chips to reroll double ones as usual).
This Edge may be taken multiple times: once for each Gizmo.

Thaumaturgical Diffusion

One of the many odder Arcane Backgrounds available if you bought the right Deadlands Classic book is the Thaumaturgical Diffusionist. These "Metal Mages" were Hucksters who were also Mad Scientists and had access to a few nifty new hexes. Many of those hexes can be duplicated with trappings, like blast substituting for grenade. But here are two new powers for those who like to throw caution and sanity to the wind by mixing magic and science:

Stabilize Gizmo
Power Points: 1
Range: Smarts x2
Duration: 2 rounds (1/round)
Trappings: The gadget hums and glows slightly. Some claim to see benign "gremlins" adjusting the dials and gears (or other components) of the gizmo and keeping it stable rather than sabotaging it! (But those are usually the same folks who already have a lot of Derangements.)
The target gizmo works as if it's inventor had taken the Improved Invention Edge. If the inventor has taken Improved invention for the target gizmo, the gizmo doesn't explode on snake eyes, but is broken and needs to be repaired as usual.

Instant Manufacturing
Power Points: varies
Range: varies
Duration: varies
Trappings: The Huckster begins a strange chant full of mathematical formulae, ancient latin and other weirdness related to magic and science. At the end, a gizmo appears in a puff of smoke.
This hex actually creates a single gizmo "out of thin air"(summoning spare parts from the surrounding area: the fewer spare parts lying around, a -1 to -4 penalty applies depending on the whims of the marshal). The gizmo works just like a normal Mad Science gizmo, but the power points come from the Huckster's power point reserve and the Spellcasting die is used to activate the device. In addition to the power point cost of using the device, creating it in the first place costs two points per rank of the gizmo's power, and at least one point per minute to maintain the device's existence. The Huckster may choose to "deal with the devil" to create the device and, at least one round later, to gain power points to activate the device as if a hex were being cast.
If the Huckster rolls a 1 on his spellcasting die when activating the device, it explodes just like a "real" gizmo and then falls to peices. When the duration of the hex runs out, the gizmo won't work again unless the same hex is cast on it or the parts are used in a proper gizmo.

Example of sources of parts: If a Metal Mage puts together a specific pile of parts for use with Instant Manufacturing, the Hex pulls parts from that pile before anywhere else. If the pile contains all the parts necessary to make the gizmo work, then it works. If the Hex is cast with no thought as to where the parts come from, they come from wherever the Marshal decides. The boiler from the local bath house might instantly become part of a new and very temporary flamethrower. If the posse is out in the wild, the hex does what it can, substituting whatever materials seem the most reasonable: such as a nearby cactus and the gunslinger's spare shootin' iron being turned into a lethal needle-gun (bolt). Because the spell itself does the "grunt work" of making the invention actually work, the gizmo can ultimately be made of almost anything. But the less reasonable the parts, the bigger the penalty the Marshal should inflict. The hex can't work with no materials or completely unreasonable materials like trying to make a teleportation device from cow hide. It's also up to the Marshal what parts may be used for their original purposes after the hex ends and what parts are completely ruined...

EDIT: Changed "Improved Gizmo" to "Improved Invention". It just sounds better. Also added examples of how gathering materials works.

Last edited by MadTinkerer on Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Zinoph Hizoto
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprised

By Jebus, how is someone suppost to come up with their own version of the arcane backgrounds? At this rate Tink, you'll have evey combination possible in your grubby little copyrighted fists! Crying or Very sad

You do awsome work though. Laughing

Keep it up!
Mike: Thats right.
MadTinkerer
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! More to come when I have the time.

MadTinkerer
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A new race for X Files or Roswell/Buffy Crossover type campaigns:

Half Gray

For some time now, aliens commonly known as the "Grays" have been showing up on Earth for reasons still unknown. Despite the investigative efforts of FBI and The Chronicle newspaper, little is still known for sure about them except that they are breeding with mankind. The result of this are the Half Grays, people who are indistiguishable from humans but have a significant amount of alien DNA and paranormal powers. Most Half Grays aren't even aware of their alien heritage until the first time they float a book across their bedroom or shatter all the windows in their house.

Those who have studied the powers of the HGs say that it is very similar to "normal" human psionic powers with a few differences. The initial power that HGs learn to use seems to stem from a "genetic memory" implanted in the HG's genes. HGs also never suffer brainburn from using their powers as it seems that their brains' psionic pathways are more developed or "evolved" than in normal humans.

Psionics: All Half Grays are naturally good at using their inborn psionic powers and begin with a Psionics skill die of d6. Half Grays may not take an Arcane Background.
Power Points: The body of a Half Gray is a natural "psionic battery" that can store up to 10 Power Points.
Evolved Psionic Power: Each Half Gray can initially "remember" how to use one Power at character creation. This power does not follow the normal restrictions for rank or the restrictions on Earth Psionicist power selection. Half Grays also do not suffer Brainburn because their powers are built into their genes.

The GM may restrict Power Edge selection depending on the campaign, but in general being a Half Gray counts as having the Psionics AB and other Power Edges may be taken normally.

Coming Up: I posted this first because I've been meaning to post it for ages. But I've also got a few others I'm almost ready to post including the Steam Boy stuff discussed in another thread, the Gunman AB (no relation to Hexslingers, I swear Wink) and some other stuff.

MadTinkerer
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Variant Arcane Backgrounds Reply with quote

Since I've recently purchased Steam Boy on DVD but haven't seen it again yet, I'll wait on the Steam Boy stuff (mostly useful in DL:R, but for any steampunky Mad Science Setting). In the meantime, here's the Gunman AB. It's mostly designed for a near-future cyberpunk type setting:

Arcane Background (Gunman)
Arcane Skill: Guntech (Vigor)
Starting Power Points: 15
Starting Powers: 2
Weapon List: armor (metallic skin), blast (rockets fired from forearms), bolt (bullets fired from palms), burrow (forming hands into shovels), burst (spewing flame), deflection (primitive force-sheild), detect arcana* (sensors), elemental manipulation (various gizmos), entangle (metallic tentacles/cords), environmental protection (body adaptation), fear (fear gas grenade), fly (metallic wings), light (light bulbs), obscure (smoke grenade), puppet** (remote control device), quickness, smite (electric current), speed (motorised rollerblades), stun (flash grenade), telekinesis (metallic tentacles/cords), teleport (jump jets).
Background: Gunmen (and "Gunwomen") are human beings that have been "infected" with symbiotic metallic artificial lifeforms called GUNs. What G.U.N. stands for is anyone's guess, but originally the GUNs were developed as intelligent weapons by the military before they escaped. The failsafes inherent to the GUNs designs mean that they need to co-habit a living human body to survive and... procreate.
Every so often, a GUN produces a "GUN Seed" or "baby GUN". This new creature can stay in it's parent's host body for a time, but must eventually be implanted in a new host or die. Each GUN only produces two GUN Seeds in it's lifetime. Once implanted, the GUN develops a permanent physical and mental bond which cannot ever be severed.
GUNs may reshape their hosts' bodies into a variety of weapons. This ability, called Guntech, seems to be only limited to the health of the host and the "blueprints" known to the GUN (so feel free to borrow powers from other sources if you come up with a good trapping). The weapons always mimic man-made technology in some fashion, as that is what the GUNs are using as reference material.
Overheating: The stress put on host bodies when GUNs use their weapons can be tough. If a 1 is rolled on the Guntech die, the Gunman is Shaken.
GUN A.I.: While the Hero's mind is mostly the same as it was before the implantation, the GUN still has a semi-independent consciousness. For example, Gunmen often have amazingly boring dreams about weapon designs and endless steams of 1s and 0s. There is no specific in-game requirements, but the following Edges and Hindrances are highly suggested: Arrogant, Cautious, Clueless, Code of Honor, Curious, Habit, Outsider, Overconfident, Pacifist, Vengeful, Alertness, Combat Reflexes, Danger Sense, Level Headed, McGyver, Nerves of Steel, Trademark Weapon (one GUN weapon), Quick.

Armor Peircing Weapons
Requirements: Novice, AB (Gunman), Guntech d8
The Gunman's weapons that deal damage all gain AP 2.

Heavy Weapons
Requirements: Veteran, AB (Gunman), Armor Peircing Weapons, Guntech d10
The Gunman's weapons that deal damage all gain AP 4 and count as Heavy Weapons.

*Rather than supernatural effects, Gunmen with this power have a variety of sensors which distinguish between living things, objects and hypertechnology (such as other gunmen, alien tech, etc.) as well as psionic powers. This effectively works just like detect arcana, with the additional effect of Infravision(as the monstrous ability), but not conceal arcana.
**Vehicles and other devices with microchips only.

EDIT: Edited slightly.

Last edited by MadTinkerer on Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
JackAce
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Variant Arcane Backgrounds Reply with quote

MadTinkerer wrote:

OK, this is way cool! #Onfire

Just a few little questions/suggestions:
MadTinkerer wrote:
elemental manipulation** (various gizmos)
** Air, Earth and Fire only.

Why no Water? Couldn't the GUNman have a Condensation Collector and a Filter Unit?

MadTinkerer wrote:
puppet*** (remote control device)
***Vehicles and other devices with microchips only.

I see what this is supposed to do, but I guess it would work even better as a variant of animal control, rather than puppet.

MadTinkerer wrote:
Armor Peircing
Requirements: Novice, AB (Gunman), Guntech d8
The Gunman's weapons that deal damage all gain AP 2.

Heavy Weapons
Requirements: Veteran, AB (Gunman), Guntech d10
The Gunman's weapons that deal damage all gain AP 4 and count as Heavy Weapons.

I'd expect that Armor Piercing was a Requirement for Heavy Weapon, so this would basically be a two-levelled Edge.
MadTinkerer
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Variant Arcane Backgrounds Reply with quote

JackAce wrote:
MadTinkerer wrote:

OK, this is way cool! #Onfire

Yep. Just wait until I post the AB for the Gunmen-hunting Peacemakers and a little more background info on the general set-up of the scenario I'm going to run for my players. Wink

JackAce wrote:
Just a few little questions/suggestions:
MadTinkerer wrote:
elemental manipulation** (various gizmos)
** Air, Earth and Fire only.

Why no Water? Couldn't the GUNman have a Condensation Collector and a Filter Unit?

Oh, all right.

JackAce wrote:
MadTinkerer wrote:
puppet*** (remote control device)
***Vehicles and other devices with microchips only.

I see what this is supposed to do, but I guess it would work even better as a variant of animal control, rather than puppet.

You mean beast friend, which has a variable cost depending on the size of the creature? I guess that's not a bad idea. This is a "quickie" qrite-up that hasn't been playtested, so pick whichever power makes more sense to you.

JackAce wrote:
I'd expect that Armor Piercing was a Requirement for Heavy Weapon, so this would basically be a two-levelled Edge.

That's what I meant. Well spotted.

JackAce
Legendary

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#ninja I dont want to steal your thread, but Ive got one for the list:

Arcane Background: Vampire
Arcane Skill: Blood Focus (Spirit)
Starting Power Points: 10
Starting Powers: 3, one of which must be healing
Power List: armor*, barrier (wind wall, non-solid, Vigor roll to pass through of be Shaken), beast friend, boost trait*, burrow, burst (chill of death), deflection*, detect/conceal arcana, dispel, elemental manipulation, fear, fly*, healing*, invisibility, obscure, puppet, quickness*, shape change, smite* (affects unarmed & armed melee attacks made by the vampire), speak language*, speed*, stun (despair, targets roll Spirit instead of Vigor), zombie
*self only
Background: This version of vampirism is a specialized type of magic. Despite popular belief, it is not contagious. To become a vampire, an aspiring mage must first learn certain forbidden arcane secrets, and then perform a dark ritual to transcend from life to undeath. This usually happens under the guidance of a vampiric mentor, but its also possible to pull off in self-study.
Undead: Vampires are Undead, as described in the SWCR.
Healing: Since vampires are basically dead, they no longer benefit from natural healing. The only way they can regenerate wounds is by using the healing power (which every vampire is required to possess). If the vampire is Incapacitated, his body will automatically cast healing every round until he either wakes up or runs out of power points. Vampires never suffer permanent injuries.
Blood is Power: Vampires dont regenerate power points like other mages. They need to drink the blood of the living in order to replenish their power. A normal human body holds 12 power points worth of blood. Each point drained causes one wound to the victim. If five or more points are drained, the victim dies. In combat the vampire can drain up to three points per round.
Blood is Life: A vampire must constantly expend a portion of his arcane power to perpetuate his undead existence. This causes him to loose one power point every 12 hours.
Vampires can go out during the day; however, doing so increases their power consumption dramatically. If the vampire is subject to indirect daylight (room with windows, keeping to the shadows, sky clouded over, etc.) he looses one power point every hour. Standing in direct sunlight costs him one point every minute.
When a vampire runs out of power points and is then forced to spend another point, he suffers a wound.
MadTinkerer
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool! Thanks. And here's a little background for the Gunmen/Peacemakers-verse to give a little context:

The Controllers

The Controllers claim to be "evolved humans" descended from people who were involved in a series of genetic experiments in the early 21st century. Regardless of their true identity (Resistance intelligence indicates they may not be human at all), The Controllers assumed power in the mid-21st century by simply using their "naturally superior" talents to rise to positions in the U.S. government at a young age. Before they revealed (what they claim to be) their common ancestry, they appeared to come from a wide variety of families and backgrounds with only their youth and talents as common factors.
On July 4th, 2056, President Jenkins announced national martial law in the middle of what was then known as "World War IV". Over a few months, while the military ran the country, Jenkins revealed the "truth" about the Controllers and that they beleived that reorganising the entire North American continent into a new "Controlled" government was necessary to stave off the annihilation of humanity. Given the state of the world at the time, almost the entire remaining population of the U.S. bought into it, approving the measure in a national referendum. At least, that's the official story.

GUN Control

Let's skip ahead a few years. United North America (UNA) is fully under Control, the new system of government by Controllers. WWIV is over, with the UNA at the head of the new Council of World Nations (CWN). With the abolishment of the Bill of Rights came the legal ability of the Controllers to abolish civilian-owned firearms from the continent. Along with the obvious problem of ordinary civilians who preferred to hang onto their suddenly-illegal self-defence ordnance, came the issue of what to do with the Gunmen. Most of the Gunmen at the time had served under the U.S. and then UNA military, but due to the nature of the GUNs, the Gunmen could not simply be "disarmed" once they wanted to return to civilian life. It was physically impossible. But the Controllers weren't about to make an exception to the law for loyal servicemen.
The Controllers came up with a special "retirement plan" which effectively forced Gunmen to live in special "Villages" policed by the Peacemakers. (The Peacemakers were not originally made to counter the Gunmen: that is merely how things turned out... Assuming our Peacemaker allies' intelligence is correct.) The Villages were little more than very nice prisons. Some Gunmen escaped and discovered Resistance cells and still fight with us today. Many were captured and mentally reprogrammed as punishment.

The Peacemakers

As you're no doubt painfully aware, in addition to the normal human police force, the Peacemakers are a special "augmented human" branch of law enforcement with nation-wide jursidiction. Some of them have joined the Resistance and are an invaluable asset. But most of them remain under the thumbs of the Controllers. Unlike the Gunmen, the Resistance has yet to find a way to make more Peacemakers, so all of them are first augmented by the Controllers and then (usually fairly soon into their careers) rebel for one reason or another.

Arcane Background (Peacemaker)
Starting Power Points: 15
Background: Peacemakers are normal humans whose bodies have been altered by the Controllers. The most obvious alteration is the inclusion of the "peacemaker gland" which replaces the normal adrenaline gland and allows for a variety of "almost super human" abilities. Most Peacemaker powers have no externally visible "trappings" other than the Peacemaker suddenly being able to run twice as fast (and so on).
Peacemaker abilities are all "new" skills linked to various Attributes. A very strong Peacemaker will find certain abilities easier to develop than a very smart one.
Agility Skills: deflection*, quickness*, speed*
Smarts Skills: detect arcana**, speak language*
Spirit Skills: beast freind, fear
Strength Skills: burrow, burst(striking ground hard), fly* (actually leaping), smite (super strength)
Vigor Skills: armor*, environmental protection*, healing*

Boost Trait: All Peacemakers can use the boost trait power on themselves. The Arcane Skill for this is the Trait in question. So to boost Agility would require a successful Agility roll.
Rebellion: All Peacemaker Heroes are members of the Resistance by default. This means they have no legal enforcement powers and are wanted by the Peacemakers that still work for the UNA. This also means severe Charisma penalties at the GM's discretion when dealing with non-Resistance characters who know that the Peacemaker is a rebel. (In general, penalties that are even more severe than for Gunmen!) So Peacemaker Heroes should generally avoid showing off in public.

*self only
**Works similarly to the Gunman version, but represents ultra-heightened senses.

Author's note: The Gunmen-verse Adventure

I'm currently writing notes for an adventure set in the Gunmen-verse which may or may not be written up as a proper adventure for Shark Bytes.
Both Gunmen and Peacemakers will have access to a few powers from other sources when I run the adventure (in particular, Gunmen can make little bio-mechanical robots if they take the contanimation power from Low Life, and Peacemakers have aim from DL:R linked to Agility), but I've tried to stick to just the main rulebook with these particular writeups.
Also: there's one new power for Peacemakers I'll edit in later...

EDIT(a couple of months later): When I remember which power I meant, I'll let you guys know. Wink

Last edited by MadTinkerer on Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
MadTinkerer
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been a while, sorry to say. I still haven't gotten around to writing up the Gunmen-verse adventure, but then I haven't been able to play SW at all for the last few weeks(!) #1icon_wall

Anyway, here's a nice little D&D Prestige Class style Professional Edge:

Mage Warrior (Not "Mage Knight". That would be silly.)
Requirements: Novice, Arcane Background (Magic), Magic d8, Fighting d8
With practice, your Hero has learned a fighting style that flawlessly combines spellcasting with combat moves. If your Hero casts a spell and immediately makes an attack or vice versa, the two actions count as just one for the purpose of determining Multi-Action Penalty. For example, a Hero could cast smite on a sword and then attack for no penalty. Or attack, cast bolt, and make an Agility Trick at only a -2 penalty to each action.

Wiggy
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MadTinkerer wrote:
Been a while, sorry to say. I still haven't gotten around to writing up the Gunmen-verse adventure, but then I haven't been able to play SW at all for the last few weeks(!) #1icon_wall

Anyway, here's a nice little D&D Prestige Class style Professional Edge:

Mage Warrior (Not "Mage Knight". That would be silly.)
Requirements: Novice, Arcane Background (Magic), Magic d8, Fighting d8
With practice, your Hero has learned a fighting style that flawlessly combines spellcasting with combat moves. If your Hero casts a spell and immediately makes an attack or vice versa, the two actions count as just one for the purpose of determining Multi-Action Penalty. For example, a Hero could cast smite on a sword and then attack for no penalty. Or attack, cast bolt, and make an Agility Trick at only a -2 penalty to each action.

Similar to the Combat Mage Edge from the Fantasy World Builder TK, then? Wink Yours is better defined though (well done on that), and I should really have added Spellcasting to my requirements instead of Smarts Smile (but I was young and reckless back then).

Wiggy
MadTinkerer
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wiggy wrote:
Similar to the Combat Mage Edge from the Fantasy World Builder TK, then? Wink

Yeah, it just needed a little tweaking. Considering that the spellcasters in my homebrew (techno-)fantasy campaign are going to be in combat a lot, it needed a little beefing up. #1cool

RooksGambit
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[Evil Wig Minion] Oh no, sir. It is just that you were creating a generic version of the Edge for generic fantasy settings. Your henchman, the Fanboy has obviously taken inspiration in your genious and has slightly adapted it to his less-generic fantasy game. This is surely something you would have conceived of, nay, already had in mind for the inevitalbe Techno-fantasy toolkit. He saw the idea in your evil office and you let him have the credit, didn't you?

So generous, our evil overlord, letting us garner admiration with your own work[/Evi Wig Minion]

#1icon_bow

Very cool, though, Tink. If there's somethig in the SW system that doesn't get near enough TLC from the fans, its the magic system!
Wiggy
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rook wrote:
[Evil Wig Minion] Oh no, sir. It is just that you were creating a generic version of the Edge for generic fantasy settings. Your henchman, the Fanboy has obviously taken inspiration in your genious and has slightly adapted it to his less-generic fantasy game. This is surely something you would have conceived of, nay, already had in mind for the inevitalbe Techno-fantasy toolkit. He saw the idea in your evil office and you let him have the credit, didn't you?

So generous, our evil overlord, letting us garner admiration with your own work[/Evi Wig Minion]

Smile Such loyalty will be rewarded. One day...

Quote:
Very cool, though, Tink. If there's somethig in the SW system that doesn't get near enough TLC from the fans, its the magic system!

Yup, MT sure does a good job keeing the fans supplied with variant ABs packed full o' flavor. And him adding to my work in this manner is quite flattering.

Wiggy
yeahgday
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject: new types... Reply with quote

hey I was wondering if the new types in gundam would be ab edge, or an arcane background? I could see Armour, boost trait, quickness, smite and speed working with it. Perhaps even deflection, detect/conceal arcana (you instictivly sence other new types), dispel, healing (usable on your mobile suit) and invisibility for new types with more mystical connection to their mobile suits.

I'd prolly give the arcane background
Power points: 20
powers: 2
drawback: only usable while piloting.
MadTinkerer
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, I am only familar with:

All of Gundam Wing (which didn't have Newtypes)
The first half of Gundam Seed (Which has Coordinators)
The cut-down version of original Gundam series (the original video release) which didn't go into the Newtype abilities very much until near the end.

From what I've seen(and I might be "wrong"), I'd definitely classify Newtypes as having Weird Edges. Particularly Danger Sense, and possibly a version of quickness that doesn't rely on PP and requires the Quick Edge. Assuming that the Mecha rules allow Pilots to use (most of) their own Combat Edges when using humanoid Mecha, the rest of the Gundam Pilots' talents can be covered by combat Edges such as Block and Rock & Roll. See the Pulp Gear Toolkit for some ideas on aircraft piloting that could be "borrowed" for mecha pilots.

The Coordinators' abilities are generally covered by a high Smarts. Perhaps a Background Edge that gives them d6 Smarts and an extra 2 Skill Points or something like that. Then Kira's ability (from what I've seen) is covered by a slightly tweaked Berserk Edge that increases Shooting instead of Strength by +2. (In the show it's explicitly compared to the ability of berserkers, so that's why I went with Berserk.)

So no variant AB this time. Sorry. Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: