Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[Talisman Studios] Shaintar: Immortal Legends GM Support
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Licensees
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How Are You Most Likely To Use the Shaintar Player's Guide?
As support for my existing fantasy campaign, set in my own world.
1%
 1%  [ 6 ]
1%
 1%  [ 6 ]
1%
 1%  [ 6 ]
1%
 1%  [ 6 ]
To start up my own fantasy campaign, set in my own world.
1%
 1%  [ 6 ]
1%
 1%  [ 6 ]
1%
 1%  [ 6 ]
1%
 1%  [ 6 ]
To support my own fantasy campaign, set in an established/published setting (such as Forgotten Realms).
1%
 1%  [ 6 ]
To support my own fantasy campaign, set in an established/published setting (such as Forgotten Realms).
1%
 1%  [ 6 ]
1%
 1%  [ 6 ]
1%
 1%  [ 6 ]
To start up a campaign set in the Shaintar: Immortal Legends world, of course!
12%
 12%  [ 40 ]
12%
 12%  [ 40 ]
12%
 12%  [ 40 ]
12%
 12%  [ 40 ]
To support my existing Shaintar campaign.
0%
 0%  [ 2 ]
0%
 0%  [ 2 ]
0%
 0%  [ 2 ]
0%
 0%  [ 2 ]
To review for ideas on how to develop my own setting rules and material.
3%
 3%  [ 10 ]
3%
 3%  [ 10 ]
3%
 3%  [ 10 ]
3%
 3%  [ 10 ]
To line my hamster's cage, so that he has something really amazingly bad to poop on.
2%
 2%  [ 9 ]
To line my hamster's cage, so that he has something really amazingly bad to poop on.
2%
 2%  [ 9 ]
2%
 2%  [ 9 ]
2%
 2%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 316

Stephen Peto
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 12:06 pm    Post subject: Shaintar questions Reply with quote

Id like to ask Sean a couple of questions.

Is there a town or location in Shaintar that would make a good starting base for a group of player characters? I presume that a world as rich as Shaintar would have adventure opportunities anywhere that the player characters might wish to go, but Id like to ask the expert for his suggestions.

Will the full setting contain adventure seeds? And following on that train of thought, will the setting be supported by adventure modules? I think that published adventures sometimes serve as good examples of how the elements of a world are supposed to work together. Anything that sparks off ideas on how to use the setting has got to be a good thing. I would be very grateful if you do post your Ratcatchers scenario as I would sure like to see Shaintar in action.
Sean Patrick Fannon
Heroic

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Shaintar questions Reply with quote

Stephen Peto wrote:
Is there a town or location in Shaintar that would make a good starting base for a group of player characters? I presume that a world as rich as Shaintar would have adventure opportunities anywhere that the player characters might wish to go, but Id like to ask the expert for his suggestions.

Well, the most recommended starting location would be Kythros, which is the southern portion of the Wild Lands (near the Freelands). It's the headquarters of Grayson's Grey Rangers, and as I've written, that's the prime origin for a group of heroes in Shaintar.

Other good starting cities

- Paradise (on the southern edge of the Eternal Desert, and also a great location to begin sea-travel adventures).

- Lanthor (the southern end of the Freelands, the largest city in the world, excellent seaport and urban fantasy adventures. As a free city, there's lots of potential for political intrigue, shadowy guild activity, and more).

- Five Cross (near the north end of the Kingdom of Galea; wilderness adventures, lots of potential conflict with raiding crusaders from the Prelacy of Camon).

- Anywhere near the southern borders of the Kal-a-Nar Empire (lots of potential conflict with Kal soldiers, mercenaries, and roaming bands of Childer. Also can end up in conflict with aggressive goblinesh forces, far-ranging shayakar and other Shaya'Nor forces, and such).

These are just some places to consider. As you surmised, anyplace in Shaintar can be a setting for adventure and great stories.

Quote:
Will the full setting contain adventure seeds? And following on that train of thought, will the setting be supported by adventure modules? I think that published adventures sometimes serve as good examples of how the elements of a world are supposed to work together. Anything that sparks off ideas on how to use the setting has got to be a good thing. I would be very grateful if you do post your Ratcatchers scenario as I would sure like to see Shaintar in action.

The full Shaintar: Immortal Legends setting book will have adventures, adventure seeds, and related information (to include the "Ratcatchers" scenario, which launches "The Rise of the Scions" plot-point campaign that will be running through subsequent offerings).

I may well post the Ratcatcher's scenario as a freebie online, as well, but I have to consult with Erskin and make sure this won't get me killed. I can assure you that I will post something for adventuring for free.

And you are correct - the kinds of adventures a creator provides give clear indications of the stories meant to be told in that setting. The plot hooks and Savage Tales you find in the S:IL book will be designed to advance all of the major storylines planned for, as well as give a feel for what is happening all over the realm.

Bad Dog. Good Games.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Erskin
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Shaintar questions Reply with quote

Stephen Peto wrote:
Is there a town or location in Shaintar that would make a good starting base for a group of player characters?

Also, there are plenty of room for other towns out there. If there's a region in particular you're interested in, the setting is designed to let you have more places than are shown. (Also let's you bring your favorite modules in from elsewhere, or write your own without things getting hairy for no reason.)

Sean Patrick Fannon wrote:
I may well post the Ratcatcher's scenario as a freebie online, as well, but I have to consult with Erskin and make sure this won't get me killed. I can assure you that I will post something for adventuring for free.

No killing from me! The Ratcatcher's scenario make take longer than we'd like to get it "all gussied up and presentable" but Talisman Studios is all for letting people take a "test drive". (Hey, it works for the SW system, right? Besides, how else can you know if you like it?)

As for future adventure modules, Talisman Studios realises Sean's 26+ years of development mean there is more story than we can fit in one book. We will get that story out to you, but we're still exploring the best format to present it in. (And I think you'll like what we're coming up with...)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Shadowdragon
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to see stats for Ogre, Orc, and Goblin npcs just to see if/how they're effected by them now being playable races. I don't think the stats for them in the core book will be usable in a shaintar campaign.
Sean Patrick Fannon
Heroic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shadowdragon wrote:
I would like to see stats for Ogre, Orc, and Goblin npcs just to see if/how they're effected by them now being playable races. I don't think the stats for them in the core book will be usable in a shaintar campaign.

Hmm. I haven't really gotten around to using them as "stock bad guys," for the very reason that they are PC-playable races. However, there are goblinesh gathers* that are generally war-like and even evil, worshipping Ceynara - the Queen of Hell - as their war goddess.

So it stands to reason that they could be encountered as a bunch of bad guys. Then again, the way Shaintar is, any race could be encountered as a "bunch of bad guys."

Still, I see a cause for writing up some basic bad guy stats featuring them. I guess I just wanted to de-emphasize their usual role in a fantasy setting. What most games use goblins for, for example, you'd encounter ratzin (the Childer rat-man) instead. Minotaurs take the place of orcs and ogres as "stock big brutes to fight."

Having stated that, I'll write up and post some goblinesh bad guys for ya!

* - "Gather" is the term used for established goblinesh communities, which are very "pure communistic" in nature.

Bad Dog. Good Games.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Sean Patrick Fannon
Heroic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GOBLINESH BAD GUYS

GOBLINS
What follows are some stats for goblins as potential opponents for Heroes. These would likely be the fodder of a Shaya'Nor military command, or else from a gather that is totally given over to the worship of Ceynara and the Demon Lords.

~~~~~~~~~~
GOBLIN SCOUTS
STR: d4
AGI: d6
VIG: d6
SMA: d6
SPI: d4

Pace: 6
Parry: 5 (-2 to be hit)
Tough: 4 (5)
Cha: -2 (-4)

SKILLS: Fighting d6, Notice d6, Shooting d6, Stealth d6, Survival d4, Tracking d6

SPECIAL ABILITIES/EDGES: Thermal Vision, Small and Nimble (figured in)

HINDRANCES: Mean, Yellow, Outsider

GEAR: Partial Leather Armor (+1), Short Sword (d4+2), Small Bow (2d6-2)
~~~~~~~~~~
GOBLIN SCOUTS, ADVANCED
STR: d6
AGI: d8
VIG: d6
SPI: d6

Parry: 6 (-2 to be hit)
Tough: 4 (5)

SKILLS: Fighting d8, Notice d8, Shooting d8, Stealth d8, Survival d6, Tracking d6

SPECIAL ABILITIES/EDGES: Thermal Vision, Small and Nimble (figured in)

HINDRANCES: Mean, Outsider

GEAR: Partial Leather Armor (+1), Short Sword (d6+2), Bow (2d6)
~~~~~~~~~~
GOBLIN SCOUTS, ELITE
STR: d6
AGI: d10
VIG: d8

Parry: 8 (-2 to be hit)
Tough: 5 (6)

SKILLS: Fighting d10, Notice d8, Shooting d10, Stealth d8(+2), Survival d8+2, Tracking d8+2

SPECIAL ABILITIES/EDGES: Thermal Vision, Small and Nimble (figured in), Woodsman (+2 Survival, Tracking, and Stealth in woods), Block

HINDRANCES: Mean, Outsider

GEAR: Full Leather Armor (+1), Short Sword (d6+2), Bow (2d6)

Bad Dog. Good Games.

Last edited by Sean Patrick Fannon on Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:11 am; edited 2 times in total
Sean Patrick Fannon
Heroic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ORCS
Orc warriors, bent on destruction or some good raiding in the name of Ceynara.

~~~~~~~~~~
ORC WARRIOR
STR: d8
SMA: d4

Parry: 6 (7)
Tough: 6 (8)
Cha: -4 (-6)

SKILLS: Fighting d8, Guts d6, Notice d6, Shooting d6, Stealth d6, Survival d4

SPECIAL ABILITIES/EDGES: Thermal Vision

HINDRANCES: Bestial Appearance, Bloodthirsty, Outsider

GEAR: Partial Scale Mail (+2), Medium Shield (+1 Parry, figured in; +2 Armor vs Ranged Damage), Long Sword or Battleaxe (d8+3), Bow (2d6)
~~~~~~~~~~
ORC WARRIOR, ADVANCED
STR: d10
VIG: d10

Parry: 7 (9)
Tough: 7 (9)

SKILLS: Fighting d10, Guts d6, Notice d6, Shooting d8, Stealth d6, Survival d4

SPECIAL ABILITIES/EDGES: Thermal Vision, Frenzy

GEAR: Full Scale Mail (+2), Large Shield (+2 Parry, figured in; +2 Armor vs Ranged Damage), Long Sword or Battleaxe (d10+3), Bow (2d6)
~~~~~~~~~~
ORC WARRIOR, ELITE
STR: d12+1
VIG: d12
SPI: d8

Parry: 9 (11)
Tough: 7 (10)

SKILLS: Fighting d12, Guts d8, Notice d6, Shooting d8, Stealth d6, Survival d4

SPECIAL ABILITIES/EDGES: Thermal Vision, Improved Frenzy, Block

GEAR: Full Chain Mail (+3), Large Shield (+2 Parry, figured in; +2 Armor vs Ranged Damage), Long Sword or Battleaxe (d12+4), Bow (2d6)

Bad Dog. Good Games.
Sean Patrick Fannon
Heroic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OGRES
Stomping onto the field to whup some major butt, they probably care less why they're doing it than if they knock someone further than the next guy...

OGRE WARRIOR
STR: d10
SPI: d4

Pace: 7
Parry: 5 (+2 to be hit)
Tough: 9 (11)

SKILLS: Fighting d6, Guts d6, Notice d6, Survival d4, Throwing d6

SPECIAL ABILITIES/EDGES: Thermal Vision, Size +3

HINDRANCES: Bad Eyes, Bestial Appearance, Bloodthirsty, Outsider, Large (+2 to be hit)

GEAR: Partial Scale (+2), Great Axe (d10+4, AP 1) or Great Club (d10+3, Reach +1), Stones to throw (d10+1)
~~~~~~~~~~
OGRE WARRIOR, ADVANCED
STR: d12
VIG: d10

Parry: 6 (+2 to be hit)
Tough: 10 (12)

SKILLS: Fighting d8, Guts d6, Notice d6, Survival d4, Throwing d8

SPECIAL ABILITIES/EDGES: Thermal Vision, Size +3, Sweep

HINDRANCES: Bad Eyes, Bestial Appearance, Bloodthirsty, Outsider, Large (+2 to be hit)

GEAR: Partial Scale (+2), Great Axe (d12+4, AP 1) or Great Club (d12+3, Reach +1), Stones to throw (d12+1)
~~~~~~~~~~
OGRE WARRIOR, ELITE
STR: d12+2
VIG: d12

Parry: 7 (+2 to be hit)
Tough: 11 (14)

SKILLS: Fighting d10, Guts d8, Notice d6, Survival d4, Throwing d10

SPECIAL ABILITIES/EDGES: Thermal Vision, Size +3, Improved Sweep, Frenzy

GEAR: Partial Chain (+3), Great Axe (d12+6, AP 1) or Great Club (d12+5, Reach +1), Stones to throw (d12+3)

Bad Dog. Good Games.

Last edited by Sean Patrick Fannon on Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Sean Patrick Fannon
Heroic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, is that cool, or would you like to see some Bad Guy Wild Card goblinesh as well?

I just created the above this morning, in between my GAMA duties.

How cool is that? I love this system!!! Very Happy

Bad Dog. Good Games.
Shadowdragon
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool, I'd like to see someone make up stats for 9 creatures that fast using the D20 system. BTW, what is the Coward Hindrance? I can't find it in either the Shaintar PG or the core book.

Edit: Actually, nearly all the PC races can turn up as villains at some point. Brinchie, Dregordians, Dwarves, even some of the elf races, could all act as bandits, thieves, assassins, evil mercenaries, etc. NPC stats can be made for all the races that include "bad elements".

Last edited by Shadowdragon on Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sean Patrick Fannon
Heroic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shadowdragon wrote:
... what is the Coward Hindrance? I can't find it in either the Shaintar PG or the core book.

That's due to one very good reason.

I am an idiot.

It's "Yellow."

(Edit, edit, edit...) Embarassed

Bad Dog. Good Games.
Stephen Peto
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 3:43 pm    Post subject: Thank you for your ideas Reply with quote

Thanks Sean and Erskin for your answers.

I've gone back and had a good look at the map to see where the places you suggest are located. In the guide it does mention "The headquarters of the Rangers is in a location central to the Southern Kingdoms," but knowing that its Kythros helps a lot in sorting out in my mind where things are. Its sort of like moving to a new neighbourhood and getting to know the street names Very Happy

With some hills to the East and West and an Elven wood to the north it should be easy enough to base some low key adventures. I'm thinking along the lines of missing travellers, foraging for herbs, bandits etc. I guess a good start to an adventure might be to have the PCs sworn in as Rangers, kind of like deputies in a Western.

Lanthor also sounds an interesting place. Urban adventures are cool too and the idea of a guild war sounds promising.

Quote:
The full Shaintar: Immortal Legends setting book will have adventures, adventure seeds, and related information (to include the "Ratcatchers" scenario, which launches "The Rise of the Scions" plot-point campaign that will be running through subsequent offerings).

It sounds like there will be some good material in there.

Quote:
As for future adventure modules, Talisman Studios realises Sean's 26+ years of development mean there is more story than we can fit in one book. We will get that story out to you, but we're still exploring the best format to present it in. (And I think you'll like what we're coming up with...)

And its good to see that you are fully committed to supporting Shaintar once the full setting is released.

Its simply a pleasure finding out more about this world. The information you have both provided really make me want to go and adventure there. Thanks for all your hard work in making Shaintar happen.
Boulder
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stephen Peto wrote:
Its simply a pleasure finding out more about this world. The information you have both provided really make me want to go and adventure there. Thanks for all your hard work in making Shaintar happen.

Shaintar is definitely not going to be a "here's the book. Good luck on running your game with no crunchy stuff" kind of game. There will be annual support for Shaintar. We're still not sure WHEN everything is going into production. All we know is that it WILL be out.

Just wait. We'll knock your [censored] socks off. Razz
Our Shop!!!
Sean Patrick Fannon
Heroic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, to slightly correct my supportive colleague, Boulder, there will be far more than annual support.

We're sitting tight on the details for now, because there are a lot of elements coming together at once. Just be assured that those who get involved with Shainar will be well-rewarded for their support.

At the same time, I want to remind everyone of our commitment to the "core+setting" philosophy.

While we will be releasing lots of content for Shaintar, and that content may well contain rules material, you will never have to purchase anything else from us to get the new rules stuff.

Any "crunchy bits" we come up with will be provided free to everyone. Only those who want all the Shaintar content will need to buy the added support materials.

We hope that's a lot of you, of course, but we understand that won't be all of you.

And we definitely want to play nice in the sandbox. Wink

Bad Dog. Good Games.
Shadowdragon
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would it be possible to get a larger, clearer, version of the full Shaintar map? A small version is available here but you can't make out very much.
Sean Patrick Fannon
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shadowdragon wrote:
Would it be possible to get a larger, clearer, version of the full Shaintar map?

That's the old working map, anyway. We've got a much nicer one available. I'll get Erskin to post it to the promotiona mateirals page as soon as he can.

Bad Dog. Good Games.
Erskin
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shadowdragon wrote:
Would it be possible to get a larger, clearer, version of the full Shaintar map?

Yes, we're working on just that. Look for it in next week's update.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sean Patrick Fannon
Heroic

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shadowdragon wrote:

And it's here, thanks once again to Erskin's tireless efforts and the amazing work that Coley Brookshire (one of the Evil Beagles who really went all out to help make Shaintar happen).

I'd like to point out that anyone who likes the Shaintar map and wants work like that for their own products should let me know - I can put you right in contact with Coley.

Bad Dog. Good Games.
Shadowdragon
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With lizardmen, orcs, and goblins now as good guy (for the most part) PC races, what evil humanoid races exist on Shaintar? Is there a standard evil non-human race that fills the role orcs and goblins fill on other fantasy worlds? What savage non-human race of swamp/forest dwellers fill the role that Lizardmen do on other fantasy worlds?
Boulder
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shadowdragon wrote:
With lizardmen, orcs, and goblins now as good guy (for the most part) PC races, what evil humanoid races exist on Shaintar? Is there a standard evil non-human race that fills the role orcs and goblins fill on other fantasy worlds? What savage non-human race of swamp/forest dwellers fill the role that Lizardmen do on other fantasy worlds?

That's the thing about Shaintar. Lizardmen, orcs, and goblins may be 'good guy' races but they are also your typical 'bad guy' races too if you want them to be. Sean's vision is that there no 'bad guy' races. Every race has the potential to as evil as evil can be, but vice versa with the good aspect. An evil human NPC can take on a good goblin PC. As a matter of fact, the most evil group of bad guys on Shaintar are humans, the Prelacy. Imagine the Spanish Inquisition (what a show!) with magical abilities. I have a character that fought 'em and didn't like 'em.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that there are no stock 'bad guy' races in Shaintar. You have undead, gargoyles (Thratchen), minotaurs, ratzin, and such but they are all few and far in between.
Our Shop!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Licensees All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: