Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[Talisman Studios] Shaintar: Immortal Legends GM Support
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Licensees
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How Are You Most Likely To Use the Shaintar Player's Guide?
As support for my existing fantasy campaign, set in my own world.
1%
 1%  [ 6 ]
1%
 1%  [ 6 ]
1%
 1%  [ 6 ]
1%
 1%  [ 6 ]
To start up my own fantasy campaign, set in my own world.
1%
 1%  [ 6 ]
1%
 1%  [ 6 ]
1%
 1%  [ 6 ]
1%
 1%  [ 6 ]
To support my own fantasy campaign, set in an established/published setting (such as Forgotten Realms).
1%
 1%  [ 6 ]
To support my own fantasy campaign, set in an established/published setting (such as Forgotten Realms).
1%
 1%  [ 6 ]
1%
 1%  [ 6 ]
1%
 1%  [ 6 ]
To start up a campaign set in the Shaintar: Immortal Legends world, of course!
12%
 12%  [ 40 ]
12%
 12%  [ 40 ]
12%
 12%  [ 40 ]
12%
 12%  [ 40 ]
To support my existing Shaintar campaign.
0%
 0%  [ 2 ]
0%
 0%  [ 2 ]
0%
 0%  [ 2 ]
0%
 0%  [ 2 ]
To review for ideas on how to develop my own setting rules and material.
3%
 3%  [ 10 ]
3%
 3%  [ 10 ]
3%
 3%  [ 10 ]
3%
 3%  [ 10 ]
To line my hamster's cage, so that he has something really amazingly bad to poop on.
2%
 2%  [ 9 ]
To line my hamster's cage, so that he has something really amazingly bad to poop on.
2%
 2%  [ 9 ]
2%
 2%  [ 9 ]
2%
 2%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 316

Sean Patrick Fannon
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:01 am    Post subject: [Talisman Studios] Shaintar: Immortal Legends GM Support Reply with quote

Until such time as the full setting book is complete and printed, I want very much to support any Game Masters out there who are interested in starting up campaigns, or even those just planning to run adventures at game stores or conventions.

This thread will be dedicated to providing that support.

So, those of you are are looking for materials to help you, please let me know what you are interested in seeing.

While I am at it, a little poll is attached for my personal edification...

Bad Dog. Good Games.

Last edited by Sean Patrick Fannon on Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Sean Patrick Fannon
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bestiary Support - Part One

Childer

The Childer are bestial creatures that, for the most part, are "beast men" in various forms. They are considered the "children of demons," hence the name. They are definitely creatures of Flame, given to violent temperaments and poor impulse control.

Interestingly enough, most people believe that the Brinchie are originally from Norcan Darr, the distant land the Childer come from (and are summoned from when Acolytes bring them to Shaintar, usually through portals called Cauldrons). However, Brinchie do not detect as being connected to Flame (with some very, very rare exceptions, and they are devout followers of Ceynara, the Goddess of War and Queen of Hell).

RATZIN
Rat-men, about the size of dwarves. They are cowardly when cornered alone, but vicious in packs. Their "Pack Tactics" Special Ability means that as long as there are at least two against a single target, each Ratzin gets an added +1 to their Gang Up bonus. Two Ratzin will get a +2 to their Fighting, while five Ratzin will enjoy a +5.

The disease they can infect victims with is delivered via their bites and claws. If they successfully hit and do damage (at least a Shaken result), even if the victim successfully Soaks the damage, they must then make a basic Vigor check. Success means the disease does not take hold and they are fine after that. Failure means they take a Fatigue level. Every hour after that, the victim must make a subsequent Vigor roll or suffer an added Fatigue level (and, regardless of successful rolls, they remain infected until treated). A simple application of a Healing spell, or using the Healing Skill (though the latter usually requires at least a day of rest and treatment). Using the Dispel power on the disease will take the supernatural component out of it, meaning the victim rolls once per day instead of per hour and, if they succeed even once on a Vigor check, the disease is cured on its own without treatment or aid.

~~~~~~~~~~
RATZIN
STR: d6
AGI: d8
VIG: d4
SMA: d4
SPI: d4

Pace: 9 (d10)
Parry: 6 (-1 to be hit)
Tough: 3 (4)
Cha: -4

SKILLS: Fighting d8, Throwing d6, Stealth d8, Tracking d4, Survival d4, Notice d6

SPECIAL ABILITIES/EDGES: Pack Tactics (+1 Gang Up Bonus if other Ratzin present), +2 Tracking, Notice; Detect Arcana; Small -1; Claws/Bite (STR+1); Disease; Fleetfooted

HINDRANCES: Mean, Coward, Weakness: Vuln. to White Silver and Everwood (+2), Pack Mentality (-2 Spirit and Spirit-based rolls if no other Ratzin present).

GEAR: Leather Armor (+1), Short Sword (d6+2)
~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~
RATZIN ELITE
STR: d6
AGI: d10
VIG: d6
SMA: d6
SPI: d6

Pace: 9 (d10)
Parry: 8 (-1 to be hit)
Tough: 5 (6)
Cha: -4

SKILLS: Fighting d10, Throwing d8, Stealth d10, Tracking d6, Survival d4, Notice d8

SPECIAL ABILITIES/EDGES: Pack Tactics (+1 Gang Up Bonus if other Ratzin present), +2 Tracking, Notice; Detect Arcana; Small -1; Claws/Bite (STR+1); Disease; Fleetfooted; Frenzy; Block

HINDRANCES: Mean, Coward, Weakness: Vuln. White Silver and Everwood (+2), Pack Mentality (-2 Spirit and Spirit-based rolls if no other Ratzin present).

GEAR: Studded Leather Armor (+2), Short Sword (STR+2)
~~~~~~~~~~

To be continued...

Bad Dog. Good Games.

Last edited by Sean Patrick Fannon on Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
cpk666
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suggestion: rename Pack Mentality (Edge) Pack Tactics, just to differentiate it from Pack Mentality (Hindrance).

CK

"Tact is just not saying true stuff. I'll pass."--Cordelia Chase
Sean Patrick Fannon
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cpk666 wrote:
Suggestion: rename Pack Mentality (Edge) Pack Tactics, just to differentiate it from Pack Mentality (Hindrance).

Agreed.

I will edit it as such.

Bad Dog. Good Games.
Sean Patrick Fannon
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow!

Three people are willing to buy the Shaintar PG just to give their hamsters something to poop on!

Too cool!

Rolling Eyes

Bad Dog. Good Games.
Old Patch
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sean Patrick Fannon wrote:
Wow!

Three people are willing to buy the Shaintar PG just to give their hamsters something to poop on!

Too cool!

Rolling Eyes

My hamster uses his own money for game products. Laughing

I'm trying to get him to save for college but he just won't listen.

"Outside of a Dog, a Book is a Man's Best Friend. Inside of a Dog, it is too dark to read." ~Groucho Marx~
Wiggy
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow!

Too cool!

Rolling Eyes

Call them and they will come Smile

Wiggy
Sean Patrick Fannon
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I knew if I gave that as a response, I'd get some people choosing it. I just couldn't resist, though. Taking yourself too seriously is a dangerous thing in this business, especially when you are putting your life's most personally-important work out there.

Bad Dog. Good Games.
cpk666
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um, are you going to continue posting Childer write-ups?

CK

Sean Patrick Fannon
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cpk666 wrote:
Um, are you going to continue posting Childer write-ups?

CK

OK.

Sure...

Bad Dog. Good Games.
Sean Patrick Fannon
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MINOTAURS
Bull-men, huge, powerful and intimidating. They are the powerhouses of the Childer, and are often found in command of lesser Childer (normally, hordes of terrified Ratzin).

They are unusually fast and very adept at using their natural gifts to gore a target at the end of a Charge, tossing aside opponents with their huge horns. Anyone who is at least Shaken by a Gore attack is knocked to the ground to one side or the other of the charging Minotaur.

Minotaurs sent into battle by their acolyte or demonic masters are almost always fairly well equiped, including Blood Steel axes that are particularly devastating for any Fae they meet.

~~~~~~~~~~
MINOTAURS
STR: d12+3
AGI: d8
VIG: d12+1
SMA: d6
SPI: d8

Pace: 8 (d10)
Parry: 7
Tough: 10 (13)
Cha: -3

SKILLS: Fighting d10, Notice d10, Guts d12, Intimidation d12, Throwing d6

EDGES: Charge, Gore (d12+7 after Charge), Improved Sweep, Size +2

HINDRANCES: Weakness: Vulnerable to White Silver/Everwood (+2), Mean, Bloodthirsty

GEAR: Bloodsteel Great Axe (d12+7, AP 1), Chain (+3, -2)
~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~
MINOTAUR ELITE
STR: d12+5
AGI: d10
VIG: d12+2
SMA: d8
SPI: d8

Pace: 8 (d10)
Parry: 8
Tough: 15
Cha: -3

SKILLS: Fighting d12, Notice d10, Guts d12, Intimidation d12, Throwing d6

EDGES: Charge, Gore (d12+9 after Charge), Improved Sweep, Size +2, Nerves of Steel, Level Headed

HINDRANCES: Weakness: Vulnerable to White Silver/Everwood (+2), Mean, Bloodthirsty

GEAR: Bloodsteel Great Axe (d12+9, AP 1), Plate & Chain (+4, -2)

Bad Dog. Good Games.
starwars1138
Heroic

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*shudder* Yeah, them minotuars are a might nasty... Avoid them if you can. And if you can't bring a bow and arrow toting Brinchie.
"Because I'm pretty?"
"Because you're pretty."
Count Zero
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

starwars1138 wrote:
*shudder* Yeah, them minotuars are a might nasty... Avoid them if you can. And if you can't bring a bow and arrow toting Brinchie.

Aye, we met one o' those beasties down near Doogle's Folly. Bad business, that.
Sean Patrick Fannon
Heroic

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does seem, however, that minotaurs have an almost uncanny vulnerability to the following combinations -

1) Brinchie archers (who understand Called Shots to the eye and effective use of Blue Bennies).

2) Teamwork, Gang Up Bonuses, and Wild Attacks.

3) Sorcerers who've been saving up their PPs (or figured out how to get more) and know when it's time to spend 6 PPs on Bolt.

Arrow

Bad Dog. Good Games.
cpk666
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to mention the timely use of Adventure Deck cards, especially ones like Deadly Blow and Anti-Benny Cool .

CK

Count Zero
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3) Sorcerers who've been saving up their PPs (or figured out how to get more) and know when it's time to spend 6 PPs on Bolt.

Arrow

I seem to recall my Eldakar using this method in Rat Catchers. Cool
SlasherEpoch
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is a vulnerability to solid tactics really a vulnerability? I've had two Wild Card NPCs wipe the walls with four guys who were of roughly equal or greater power, all through cunning. And a bit of luck.

Evil Wig Enterprises Minion #15 - "The
Machete"
Sean Patrick Fannon
Heroic

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SlasherEpoch wrote:
I've had two Wild Card NPCs wipe the walls with four guys who were of roughly equal or greater power, all through cunning. And a bit of luck.

Well, it's certainly true that anything can happen in this game, but it is also true that the GM can very easily weight things in the favor of either side with very subtle, simple machinations. I consider this another major strength of the game.

By awarding more Bennies and/or incorporating the Adventure Cards, you put the cinematic hero tools into the hands of your players to give them exactly the advantages they should have for that style of game. Combine that with having the bad guys react cinematically appropriately to their efforts and you have the kinds of results that one might expect for such an experience (with, of course, the always-present drama of the dice to tweak things one way or another).

For GMs preferring either a more gritty, realistic, or simply more random experience, reducing the Bennies, limiting or eliminating the Adventure Cards, and playing the bad guys (especially the Wild Cards) to the absolute hilt will generate very different results.

Both are valid approaches, certainly, but I submit the former tends to be what most (not all, but most) players would prefer. Life is hard enough; their games should be all about the fun and the fantasy.

Bad Dog. Good Games.
MadTinkerer
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I am currently finding that running a longterm campaign is almost impossible due to all kinds of scheduling conflicts, new class schedule and so on, I wouldn't be averse to running some "straight Shaintar" adventures in addition to the occasional generic D&D type adventures I usually run. (or heck, maybe I could get someone else to GM a Shaintar game or two)

That said, I chose "To review for ideas on how to develop my own setting rules and material.", simply because that's probably what I'll mainly be using it for. There's nothing quite like your own home-brew. Right, Sean? Wink

Check out Mad Tinkerer Dot Org!
Sean Patrick Fannon
Heroic

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MadTinkerer wrote:
I wouldn't be averse to running some "straight Shaintar" adventures in addition to the occasional generic D&D type adventures I usually run. (or heck, maybe I could get someone else to GM a Shaintar game or two)

It is my intention to get the Ratcatchers scenario fully written up and posted somewhere soon, so that people have a ready-to-run scenario to use with the PG. Hopefully that will help.

Quote:
There's nothing quite like your own home-brew. Right, Sean? Wink

My 26 year quest says you are correct, sir. Smile

Bad Dog. Good Games.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Licensees All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: