Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Figures Poll
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What do you think of using Mage Knight figures for SW games?
They'd be suitable
6%
 6%  [ 13 ]
They'd be suitable
6%
 6%  [ 13 ]
They'd be suitable
6%
 6%  [ 13 ]
They'd be suitable
6%
 6%  [ 13 ]
Dunno, but Heroclix work for Necessary Evil
6%
 6%  [ 13 ]
6%
 6%  [ 13 ]
6%
 6%  [ 13 ]
6%
 6%  [ 13 ]
Bases are too big to use for SW
1%
 1%  [ 4 ]
1%
 1%  [ 4 ]
1%
 1%  [ 4 ]
1%
 1%  [ 4 ]
I prefer D&D/other minis
6%
 6%  [ 13 ]
I prefer D&D/other minis
6%
 6%  [ 13 ]
I prefer D&D/other minis
6%
 6%  [ 13 ]
I prefer D&D/other minis
6%
 6%  [ 13 ]
Paper minis for me
4%
 4%  [ 9 ]
Paper minis for me
4%
 4%  [ 9 ]
Paper minis for me
4%
 4%  [ 9 ]
Paper minis for me
4%
 4%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 208

Wiggy
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:06 am    Post subject: Figures Poll Reply with quote

Hi all,

I know some of you guys probably play Mage Knight (or know someone who does), and some of you may have 100's of figures. Well, I'm considering buying a load on Ebay to use in my fantasy games, but wondered what you guys thought of them before I spend my hard earned cash.

Wiggy
sagaston
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't mind chopping them all off of those giant clicky bases and gluing them onto 25mm bases (Games Workshop sells em in packs of 50, and I'm sure other minis companies make them cheaper) and the fact they're larger than other minis, they're not bad for the price. Oh and the early Mage Knight figs were absolutely but ugly, but the new ones aren't bad.

I'd just buy a lot of the plastic, prepainted D&D minis 2nd hand. They're on the right sized base, they aren't quite as ugly, and they're more the size of other minis, in case someone wants to bring in their favorite Reaper Elf for their PC or you decide to splurge on a box of lizardmen or whatever.
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no option for multiple correct answers. Wink

For fantasy, I prefer the D&D minis. They already have the right base size, and they have a higher quality molding than the MK figures.

That said, some of the MK figures are pretty cool, and the base size isn't a big deal to me. As inscrutable said, you can always take them off the clix base and put them on a new one. I seem to recall hearing that if you put them in a freezer for an hour or so, the glue gets more brittle, and they are easier to pop off. Check it on some commons before you jump in though.

Another option to consider is to just switch to the 1.5" scale map. It's really not that hard. If you are using a map with squares/hexes, then the measure everything by those instead of actual inches (a character moves 6 squares not 6"). The only other thing you need to adjust is the templates, which isn't that hard. Just increase them 50%. The Small becomes 3", The Medium 6" (which means you can use the Large for the Medium), and the Large becomes 9". The Cone template might be a bit tricky, but just get it in the ballpark. Heck, you might even be able to take the electronic versions and print them out at 150% to get the right size.

For fantasy though, I'd still recommend the D&D minis over MK.

www.peginc.com
Wiggy
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There's no option for multiple correct answers. Wink

I'm new to polls Smile

Wiggy
Bill
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use them but the bases are a bit big. Still they are cheap, look pretty nice, have several unusual figures, and have a few nice monsters. All in all a pretty good way to go. If you don't like the almost double size bases you can trim the figure from the base and remount on a more standard size base.

For fantasy the D&D figures are very good giving different sizes for a reasonable price and a wide variety of more standard fantasy fare. these are often found in lots quite cheaply. The bases are good for most figures (although I hate the lack of the oblong bases for horses and the ilk).

The main savings point with most of these figures is to take care of the "where is everyone in combat" questions so scale is not as critical except for the template effects. (You may have to change the ranges to 1" = one 2" square/hex to take into account the larger base of the Heroclix figures.)
loungingbear
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did what you are thinking about doing Wiggy - bought a single lot of MK figs. They've worked great for us. I've also added many D&D minis to the collection as well. We just ignore the difference in size and usually manage to squeeze all the minis in the 1" squares on our Chessex map or just use a ruler. I don't have time to paint minis or change bases so we make do with what what we have.

One of the neat things about the MK minis was that there were many creatures I've never seen before (ie not from D&D). Those figures just make great new ideas spring to your mind for creating new adventures.

I wish MK had a site where you could see many minis on one page rather than view the images one at a time. Sort of like the D&D minis site where you see the whole set on one page. If anyone knows of a link for that I'll love to see it.

My advice - keep searching ebay and buy them when you find them for a good price. It can be addictive though!
Sean Patrick Fannon
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love using them, especially the more interesting and better painted heroes and villains.

I discovered that, if you don't ming a little work, don't need the bases to be exactly square (I use battlemats and such, the the configuration of the base isn't a huge deal), some metal shears will cut those bases right well. You pop them off the dial thing and then trim the remainder around the feet.

That way, you don't have to deal with glue. I hate glue.

Bad Dog. Good Games.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Boulder
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a Dremel tool, the MK figures can be resized for a 1" Battlemat, so I use both MK and D&D minis.
Our Shop!!!
Mindseye
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use Heroclix for NE, but I'm beginning to regret switching to the 1.5" scale map. Lots of times I just Wish we had more squares to work with. If I can convice them to do Superhero one shots after NE, I'll have to look into getting the smaller bases for the clix. I've been toying with using some Mechwarrior minis for robots, but haven't got around to purchasing any for that yet.

For fantasy, I like D&D minis especially for the PC's. I've recently found out that MK Centaurs are much cheaper than the D&D Rare Centaurs, and more varied as well. I've also found I like some of the MK minis for monsters.

For Savage world settings the Figure Flats for the opposition are indispensable. I'd hate to have to find figs for V'sori and Fins, especially in groups of 12, like many of the Savage Tales ask for! One thing I would like to see is more figs to represent the WC opposition. I understand the logic of not wanting to pay for a fig you will use one or two times, but the cool factor of having a Blackbeard figure instead of Random Captian # 3 would outweigh the cost in my option.

da Wookiee

not sure which to pick on the poll, they all have some use.

[edit] for 50 Fathoms the figure flats were great for the PC's, and I expect the same for Rippers (no painted Victorian figs).
ron blessing
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm all over the D&D minis for fantasy. The Mage Knight ones aren't as nicely sculpted and require rebasing.

Not to menthion you can buy hordes of classic creatures in lots on ebay for real cheap.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
lordthrog
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I am the lone vote (at this time) for the bases being too big. That said, it's not that hard to rebase them. If the figure is what you want, or as close as you are going to fing, make it work.

"So, what weapon should I use? I'm very proficient with the Spork, but I also swing a mean sock of Legos." - Bucky Katt
jblittlefield
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bases only matter if you use battlemats. I'm a purist, and although I rarely use minis theses days, when I do, it's on a plain unmarked surface.
charliebananas
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use heroclix for NE, and the oversized bases aren't a problem to me, the battle mat is just used as a rough estimation of distance. A flat playing surface doesn't show inclines, humps and bumps of a battle field so a little give and take is a given. IMHO
SlasherEpoch
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use HeroClix all the time for all of our games. No battlemat, just a whiteboard and a tape measure, so base size is rarely an issue.

Also, there's a game called HeroScape, some crazy "Battle cross Time" stuff there...never played the game, just bought it for the 20 models that came with it. Best $40 I ever spent.

Evil Wig Enterprises Minion #15 - "The
Machete"
razorwise
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HeroScape is a fun game and you get scads of cool mins, plus you can buy singles as well. You can also buy it for half price at some toy outlets from time to time. As for me, I'll use anything for miniatures...little bits of paper...dice...whatever...Loungingbear's habit... Wink

Regards,

Sean
The Blur is Now on G+
Wiggy
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to dredge up an old post, but how do you guys go about removing Clix figs from their big bases? Scalpel? Bolt cutters? Wing and a prayer?

I need to rebase mine so I can use them for SW without "adjacent" meaning over an inch anyway Smile They also eat up too much room on my small table.

Wiggy
Alan
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't hold me to it but I swear someone told me you can pop the in the fridge to cool down and the glue then tends to get brittle making them come off easily. No experience on that so you might like to get a second opinion or do a test run...

alan

Follow Savage Mojo on Twitter.
Dave Blewer
Heroic

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wiggy wrote:

I need to rebase mine so I can use them for SW without "adjacent" meaning over an inch anyway Smile They also eat up too much room on my small table.

I use a D&D Fiendish T-Rex figure for Dr Jurrassic in our ongoing NE game... Because of the size of its base I can be mobbed by six or more alien scum*.

Thanks Clint for the Combat Senses Edge! Very Happy

* I am not, but technically I could be... They do all seems to make a beeline for me, though... Many times I have exclaimed"Why do they keep going after the 30 foot tall T-Rex" Wink

Sundered Skies, a Savage Worlds setting available NOW!
lilledrage
Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use both MK and D&D minis. Not in the same game though.

I hate the look of the D&D orcs. I like the Orc Khans much better, but I like the soft material of the D&D minis better as it's more solid.

I don't want to bother rebasing MK minis. So far I use as is but I have thought about adding flock to their bases. Their size doesn't bother me as I don't use grids. I prefer 3D terrain on a felt mat.
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

he who... wrote:
Don't hold me to it but I swear someone told me you can pop the in the fridge to cool down and the glue then tends to get brittle making them come off easily. No experience on that so you might like to get a second opinion or do a test run...

Um, yeah, that would be in my first post in this thread. Wink

But it's put them in a freezer, not a fridge, from what I understand. Put them in overnight, and some people say they will pop right off the base with a tug and a twist. Or if the attached part seems thin or it doesn't pop off, they also say you can get a knife under it to pop it off from the bottom.

Of course, They also say I'm crazy for wearing a tinfoil Stetson, but what do They know. Twisted Evil

www.peginc.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: