Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[DGP] TRES Hardcover
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Licensees
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you buy a 176-page hardcover of The Ravage Earth Society if the PDF version were included as well? Retail would be $29.95.
Yes
22%
 22%  [ 66 ]
Yes
22%
 22%  [ 66 ]
Yes
22%
 22%  [ 66 ]
Yes
22%
 22%  [ 66 ]
No
2%
 2%  [ 8 ]
No
2%
 2%  [ 8 ]
No
2%
 2%  [ 8 ]
No
2%
 2%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 296

jblittlefield
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:45 am    Post subject: [DGP] TRES Hardcover Reply with quote

Peter and I are looking in to doing a limited print run (100 copies with hardcovers) of The Ravaged Earth Society. In order to do this, we're probably going to reduce the page count to somewhere between 176-192 pages so we can retail the books for $29.95 a pop. All who buy this initial print run will get a FREE copy of the PDF version of TRES included with their book.

Does this sound like something you guys would be interested in? Why or why not?

Just wondering if there's enough interest here to bother....

Last edited by jblittlefield on Tue May 16, 2006 7:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Banjo
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted yes but because I'm in Australia, I would probably only get the PDF Wink
jblittlefield
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Banjo wrote:
I voted yes but because I'm in Australia, I would probably only get the PDF Wink

Why? Peter lives in Australia and will be keeping a few books on hand. Besides, I can ship the book via Global Priority Mail (Flat Rate) for around $9 if all else were to fail. Wink

Last edited by jblittlefield on Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Banjo
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Stuff Exclamation
RooksGambit
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd buy it all day long.

If you end up doing it, I'll go ahead and guarantee my purchase.
MarshalEric
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'd get a limited edition TRES hardback with a page count of 176-192 pages for $29.99 if a free PDF were thrown in as well. What a bargain! Very Happy

And I would say that even if I hadn't written it! Razz
Redeucer
Heroic

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends. Will the material above the 17x-19x page count still be in the pdf? And if so, what is being left out?

Redeucer
Darth Squirellious, Dark Rodent of the Sith!

"Mediocrity has never been so EPIC!"
- SlasherEpoch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
jblittlefield
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

redeucer wrote:
Depends. Will the material above the 17x-19x page count still be in the pdf? And if so, what is being left out?

No. It'll appear as web freebies on the DGP website, within the Gazetteer, and as a series of articles for The New York Chronicle.

We simply decided to focus the majority of the background material on the United States - saving the rest of the world (other than a brief description and a few adventure seeds) for the Gazetteer.

A couple of areas were actually expanded...now go vote yes!
Kane
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to vote yes. Everthing I read about this setting makes me want it more and more. The problem is that I'm an old school gamer. I like the feel of a good hardbound set of rules in my hand. i need that connection to help me get into the mindset. Printed and bound PDF's are find for reading and rules crunching, but they lack that essence that I need to slip into the world setting.
Guess I'm to old to change my ways.
jblittlefield
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kane wrote:
I had to vote yes. Everthing I read about this setting makes me want it more and more. The problem is that I'm an old school gamer. I like the feel of a good hardbound set of rules in my hand. i need that connection to help me get into the mindset. Printed and bound PDF's are find for reading and rules crunching, but they lack that essence that I need to slip into the world setting.

This will be an actual hardcover gamebook -- not just a printed PDF that we had bound at Kinkos. When you buy the book, you'll receive a passcode via e-mail good for a free download of the TRES PDF file (via RPGNow).

Just wanted to clarify as I wasn't quite sure if you were clear on that. Wink
Redeucer
Heroic

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jblittlefield wrote:
redeucer wrote:

No. It'll appear as web freebies on the DGP website, within the Gazetteer, and as a series of articles for The New York Chronicle.

We simply decided to focus the majority of the background material on the United States - saving the rest of the world (other than a brief description and a few adventure seeds) for the Gazetteer.

A couple of areas were actually expanded...now go vote yes!

OK! OK! You can LET GO OF MY ARM NOW!!! Laughing

Redeucer
Darth Squirellious, Dark Rodent of the Sith!

"Mediocrity has never been so EPIC!"
- SlasherEpoch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Kane
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jblittlefield wrote:
Kane wrote:

This will be an actual hardcover gamebook -- not just a printed PDF that we had bound at Kinkos. When you buy the book, you'll receive a passcode via e-mail good for a free download of the TRES PDF file (via RPGNow).

Just wanted to clarify as I wasn't quite sure if you were clear on that. Wink
Actually, the faults mine. i understood what you ment. I just didn't make myself as clear as I should have. Sorry. Embarassed
Chris Passeno
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm buying it either way, but a hardcover would be icing on the cake.
BluSponge
Heroic

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: TRES Hardcover Reply with quote

jblittlefield wrote:
In order to do this, we're probably going to reduce the page count to somewhere between 176-192 pages so we can retail the books for $29.95 a pop. All who buy this initial print run will get a FREE copy of the PDF version of TRES included with their book.

I said yes, but I have a couple of questions:

How much would the full page count hardcover cost?

How much would the POD version cost?

What are you cutting?

See I might be willing to pay $35 for the HC to get it all in there. But either way, I suspect RES is going to be one of those books that I have a hard copy of, so I don't really care if it's a shiney HC (sweet as it may be) or a shiney POD, or if I have to pay $5 here or there to get it. What DOES interest me is whether the POD will have more content than the HC. If that's the case, I'd rather pay a little more for the HC, or just get the POD. Even if the pdf is included (which is a cool deal and definitely a selling point).

Tom
Piotr Korys
Heroic

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I`ve voted Yes. But I hope it wont be to soon, as I`ve bought to many books right now Sad
jblittlefield
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: TRES Hardcover Reply with quote

BluSponge wrote:
jblittlefield wrote:
In order to do this, we're probably going to reduce the page count to somewhere between 176-192 pages so we can retail the books for $29.95 a pop. All who buy this initial print run will get a FREE copy of the PDF version of TRES included with their book.

I said yes, but I have a couple of questions:

How much would the full page count hardcover cost?

How much would the POD version cost?

What are you cutting?

See I might be willing to pay $35 for the HC to get it all in there. But either way, I suspect RES is going to be one of those books that I have a hard copy of, so I don't really care if it's a shiney HC (sweet as it may be) or a shiney POD, or if I have to pay $5 here or there to get it. What DOES interest me is whether the POD will have more content than the HC. If that's the case, I'd rather pay a little more for the HC, or just get the POD. Even if the pdf is included (which is a cool deal and definitely a selling point).

Tom

Full page (most likely we were looking at 224+ pages) hardcover would have been around $39.99 and PoD would probably have been $34.99. The PDF would have been $29.99.

Honestly, those prices may have been OK with a few gamers, but I'm willing to bet that we would have lost a lot of sales -- regardless of the page count or what we included. Wink

The PDF will contain the same content as the hardcover.

The stuff cut was mainly information that seemed better suited for inclusion in the Gazetteer. No rules or anything were cut. Wink
Doc_Chronos
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:04 am    Post subject: TRES Hardcover Reply with quote

I voted yes. This sounds like a great deal.
SavagedRobby
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd definitely be interested in this. I actually really like this type of arrangement, and wish more companies would do it.

I often get the PDF of a product, and I often get the HC as well. Usually, though, I try to find the HC at a discounted price somewhere (like ebay), rather than buy from S&R or another higher priced outlet. But if the PDF were part of that purchase, I'd spend the money directly, rather than indirectly (its a minor difference, but it helps get product off the warehouse shelves).

Also doesn't hurt that I'm looking forward to TRES in general. Smile
BluSponge
Heroic

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: TRES Hardcover Reply with quote

jblittlefield wrote:
Full page (most likely we were looking at 224+ pages) hardcover would have been around $39.99 and PoD would probably have been $34.99. The PDF would have been $29.99.

Honestly, those prices may have been OK with a few gamers, but I'm willing to bet that we would have lost a lot of sales -- regardless of the page count or what we included. Wink

Ouch! Yeah, that would have been a bit pricey. I mean, I still would have been game for the POD version, but I think you guys are doing the right thing here. I can't imagine anyone paying $30 for the pdf. Surprised

Quote:

The stuff cut was mainly information that seemed better suited for inclusion in the Gazetteer. No rules or anything were cut. Wink

Sounds cool. So what are the specs on the Gazetteer? And where will all the cool adventure threads you've been posting be reprinted and elaborated upon?

Tom
jblittlefield
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: TRES Hardcover Reply with quote

BluSponge wrote:
jblittlefield wrote:

Ouch! Yeah, that would have been a bit pricey. I mean, I still would have been game for the POD version, but I think you guys are doing the right thing here. I can't imagine anyone paying $30 for the pdf. Surprised

Yeah, and with my rep as a cheapskate, I'd never hear the end of it!

BluSponge wrote:
jblittlefield wrote:

Sounds cool. So what are the specs on the Gazetteer? And where will all the cool adventure threads you've been posting be reprinted and elaborated upon?

The adventure seeds will appear in various sources: some as Ravaged Serial web freebies on the DGP site, others within the pages of The New York Chronicle (the official newsletter of TRES), and yet others will be elaborated on in the Gazetteer(s)...

Ah! You noticed the "(s)" -- truth is, we're not sure how we're going to handle the gazetteers. They may be released as a two-volume set: Volume One - The West and Volume Two - The East. They may be done as a series, with each book focusing on a specific continent or geographical region. Honestly, we don't know yet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Licensees All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: