Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

All SW Core Rules Questions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 39, 40, 41, 42  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Official Answers on How the Core Rules Work
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lockridge
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Clint,
That does help clear things up. Wounds can only be achieved if the Wild Card is Shaken (either on the same attack with a raise or a subsequent attack while the target is Shaken).
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lockridge wrote:
Thanks Clint,
That does help clear things up. Wounds can only be achieved if the Wild Card is Shaken (either on the same attack with a raise or a subsequent attack while the target is Shaken).

Well... I guess so. I never really looked at it like that, but if it works for you. Smile

One thing to keep in mind about that though. If a Wild Card takes 2 Wounds and is Shaken, they can spend a Benny to automatically buy off the Shaken*, but they would still have the 2 Wounds even though the Shaken "never happened."

* Note: they do have the option of trying to Soak the Wounds, but it is still possible to just spend the Benny for the automatic negation of a Shaken.

Hope that didn't make things more confusing.

www.peginc.com
Lockridge
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats great. I'm on the right track now.
Thanks again.
ogbendog
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: I need help with basic combat Reply with quote

Clint wrote:

First off, welcome to the forum!

The key to damage is that each raise on a damage roll causes a wound (page 68 of SWR under Damage Effects and Wounds and Wild Cards).

So it works out like this...

Damage results if target not Shaken
Success = Shaken
Raise = 1 Wound & Shaken
2 Raises = 2 Wounds & Shaken
3 Raises = 3 Wounds & Shaken
and so on...

Now if the target is already Shaken, then a normal Shaken result from damage will cause a wound instead. Like so...
Success = 1 Wound
Raise = 1 Wound
2 Raises = 2 Wounds
3 Raises = 3 Wounds
and so on...

Where most people get confused is that this only changes the results for getting a Success, not if a raise or better is gained. Basically, Extras are easier to "kill" in one shot, but not Wild Cards.

Hope this clears things up. If not, just let me know.

woah. I thought getting a shaken result (from damage) while already shaken becomes a wound, but you still get one more wound per raise. Like this:

Success = shaken -> 1 Wound
Raise = 2 Wound
2 Raises = 3 Wounds
3 Raises = 4 Wounds
and so on...

the shaken becomes a wound, and raises are still a wound each
Mr.Joel
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: I need help with basic combat Reply with quote

ogbendog wrote:
I thought getting a shaken result (from damage) while already shaken becomes a wound, but you still get one more wound per raise.

Me too, also.
Wiggy
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope. A wound doesn't cause a Shaken result (and thus another wound) to an existing Shaken character. As the rules say (under Wounds and Wild Cards), "If a hero suffers a wound and wasn't Shaken already, he's Shaken as well."

If he's already Shaken and takes 1 Wound, he's got 1 Wound and is still Shaken, but that's all.

Wiggy
Mr.Joel
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wiggy wrote:
If he's already Shaken and takes 1 Wound, he's got 1 Wound and is still Shaken, but that's all.

I understand that. But what happens when a Shaken character suffers damage equal to Toughness +4?
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr.Joel wrote:
Wiggy wrote:

I understand that. But what happens when a Shaken character suffers damage equal to Toughness +4?

Exactly what Wiggy said. That's what he meant by the character taking 1 Wound.

Or to clarify, a character who is damaged by an attack that gets a single raise (4-7 points higher than Toughness) takes 1 wound. Raises on the damage roll always directly equate to the number of Wounds caused. It does not matter if they were Shaken or not before the attack.

The only thing that changes is the effect of getting a Shaken result (a single success). The rest stays the same.

Like I said, being Shaken doesn't make Wild Cards easier to kill in one shot.

www.peginc.com
mellis1644
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:49 pm    Post subject: O.K. a dumb damage roll question from a newbe to the rules Reply with quote

O.K. so a dumb rules question from a newbie.
I did not find this asked before so maybe I'm just not getting this peice or have missed something.

If rolling damage using for example a flintlock pistol where the damage is 2D6+1 do you total all the die together or are they rolled seperate?

I know not to also roll the wildcard die (if a wild card). For exmaple, if so the die come up 3 and 6 then again because of the rules it's clear I roll the 6 again and add that - let's say it comes up as 5.

Is the total for the damage roll:

3+6+5+1 = 15
or
6+5+1 = 12

Similarly, if a PC wildcard is using say a sword and they get the wildcard die is it STR+3+'wild die' or is the wild die in this case independant ? i.e. take the best of STR+3 or wild die+3

Thanks in advance for the answer as this does not seem clear to me and I could see it working either way.
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: O.K. a dumb damage roll question from a newbe to the rul Reply with quote

First off, welcome to the forum!

mellis1644 wrote:
O.K. so a dumb rules question from a newbie.
I did not find this asked before so maybe I'm just not getting this peice or have missed something.

If rolling damage using for example a flintlock pistol where the damage is 2D6+1 do you total all the die together or are they rolled seperate?

I know not to also roll the wildcard die (if a wild card). For exmaple, if so the die come up 3 and 6 then again because of the rules it's clear I roll the 6 again and add that - let's say it comes up as 5.

Is the total for the damage roll:

3+6+5+1 = 15
or
6+5+1 = 12

For the flintlock, the total would be 15. Weapons that do fixed damage add the results of all the dice rolled together. The downside is that you can't spend a Benny to reroll.

mellis1644 wrote:
Similarly, if a PC wildcard is using say a sword and they get the wildcard die is it STR+3+'wild die' or is the wild die in this case independant ? i.e. take the best of STR+3 or wild die+3

Thanks in advance for the answer as this does not seem clear to me and I could see it working either way.

When rolling the Wild Die, it's always take the best. So in the example above, it would be the better roll between the Strength Die or Wild Die and then add 3.

So if you rolled a 2 and a 5, the total would be 5+3=8.

Hope this clears things up. If not, please let me know.

www.peginc.com
Christian
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And if you have a Strength damage die, a wild die and a raise bonus, you roll your three dice and count best two out of three, correct ?

Regarding stealth, if a character misses his Stealth roll against "inactive" guards, the guards are now active and must do an opposed Notice vs Stealth roll. Is this roll made against the previous missed Stealth roll, or against a fresh new Stealth roll ?
Thanx
Wiggy
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christian wrote:
And if you have a Strength damage die, a wild die and a raise bonus, you roll your three dice and count best two out of three, correct ?

Not quite, no. The Wild Die can only replace the Strength die, not the extra die for getting a raise on your attack.

If you rolled 5 (Str), 5 (Wild), and 1 (bonus die), you'd only cause 6 damage, not 10.

Quote:
Regarding stealth, if a character misses his Stealth roll against "inactive" guards, the guards are now active and must do an opposed Notice vs Stealth roll. Is this roll made against the previous missed Stealth roll, or against a fresh new Stealth roll ?
Thanx

Usually I'd say against a new Stealth roll. The guard has already heard or seen something, that's why he is now alert. Now he must wait for a new sight or sound to confirm any suspicions he may have.

Wiggy
Christian
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Wiggy !
One more : a character intimidates another and so gains a +2 bonus on his next action against this opponent. Now the character has something else to do (like unshake or free from a grapple). After that does he still have his bonus, even after one or two delaying rounds ?
(I've noted elsewhere that a bonus "on his next action" woudn't work, but in this case it's "on his next action against this opponent")
Wiggy
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christian wrote:
Thank you Wiggy !
One more : a character intimidates another and so gains a +2 bonus on his next action against this opponent. Now the character has something else to do (like unshake or free from a grapple). After that does he still have his bonus, even after one or two delaying rounds ?
(I've noted elsewhere that a bonus "on his next action" woudn't work, but in this case it's "on his next action against this opponent")

Yes, it's his next action, regardless of when that occurs. The victim is still cowed by the hero. It's a threat waiting to become a deed Smile

Take the example of a guy threatening to kick your head in and you're intimidated. No fight occurs then, but a bit later he comes back. That "fear" hasn't vanished, it's just been dormant.

Wiggy
ogbendog
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can a PC, for example, reload and shoot a crossbow in one round, taking a -2 to hit for multiple actions?
could you relaod a shoot a musket in one round with a -4 to hit?
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ogbendog wrote:
Can a PC, for example, reload and shoot a crossbow in one round, taking a -2 to hit for multiple actions?
could you relaod a shoot a musket in one round with a -4 to hit?

Generally, yes to the first, and no to the second.

Since reloading and shooting are separate actions, you could combine them with a -2 MAP; however, if the GM allows this, he may also ask for a successful Agility roll (similar to drawing a weapon) to get the weapon reloaded.

For the musket though, it would be attempting to perform the same action twice in one round, reloading. So, you couldn't shoot and finish two rounds of reloading in one round, but you could theoretically spend one action reloading and on the second action, combine reloading with shooting for a -2 MAP.

Hope this helps.

www.peginc.com
ogbendog
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unless, I suppose, you had the musketeer edge.

thanks
Baksartha
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 4:08 pm    Post subject: Errata Reply with quote

Hey Clint,

A while back I had asked if there were a list of compiled errata anywhere for SWR. While I realise that there isn't much errata, an OFFICIAL list would be nice. I noticed that there is one for Deadlands: Reloaded. I was just hoping that the same could be done for SWR.

This thread is great, but 40 pages is alot to go through (I would rather devote that time to prepping my adventures). SWR has become the game-of-choice for my group, a handy list of errata would be nice to have at my fingertips while playing.

Thanks for all your efforts!
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Errata Reply with quote

Baksartha wrote:
Hey Clint,

A while back I had asked if there were a list of compiled errata anywhere for SWR. While I realise that there isn't much errata, an OFFICIAL list would be nice. I noticed that there is one for Deadlands: Reloaded. I was just hoping that the same could be done for SWR.

This thread is great, but 40 pages is alot to go through (I would rather devote that time to prepping my adventures). SWR has become the game-of-choice for my group, a handy list of errata would be nice to have at my fingertips while playing.

Thanks for all your efforts!

I'll have to look into it. Honestly, I can't think of a lot of true "errata" in the second printing. It might take a little research to find it, but I'll see what I can come up with.

The only one I know off the top of my head is that the Giant Killer summary lists the bonus as +4 damage instead of the correct +1d6 as in the description.

As always, if anyone has a question, they can use the Search button if they like, but I don't have any problem answering it again.

www.peginc.com
Baksartha
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clint,

Thanks for looking into this. The following is a list of potential errata gathered by my players and from these message boards. Perhaps some of this could be made official? Thanks again, we truly appreciate how dedicated you are to supporting the game!

P34: Giant Killer edge summary - Bonus damage is +1d6, not +4.

P34: Holy/Unholy Warrior edge summary - Use of this edge costs 1 Power Point total, not 1 Power Point per creature affected.

P43: Shotguns - The cost of a Sawed-Off DB shotgun is $150, not $350.

P60: Readying Weapons - The penalty in the second part of the example should be -4, not -2.

P63: Small Targets - A vampire's heart is a tiny target (-6 penalty), not a small target

P84: Obscure power - The -6 attack penalty is the result of absolute blindness, not pitch darkness.

P91: Fright Table (Panicked) - The character immediately moves his full Pace plus running die away from the danger and is Shaken.

P94: Hunger - A successful Survival roll each day provides enough food and water for one person (five adults on a raise), not one person per raise.

P126: Drake - Fiery breath should refer to page 95, not page 97.

P126: Dragon - Fiery breath should refer to page 95, not page 97.

P130: Orc (Special Abilities) - Add infravision.

P130: Orc Chieftan - (Special Abilities) - Add infravision.

P144: Character sheet - Encumbrance is misspelled.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Official Answers on How the Core Rules Work All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 39, 40, 41, 42  Next
Page 40 of 42

Jump to: