Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

***Rules Questions for SW Settings***
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Official Answers on How the Rules In Other Pinnacle Products Work
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WickedRoland wrote:
Ok under the Parry power modifier Catch and Throw it says that to throw a caught object is a free action. Now is catching it also a free action or do you need to be on hold to attempt a catch? I'm assuming its free but just wanting an official clarification.

Yep, the character can catch and throw instantly.

WickedRoland wrote:
Now this question kinda affects alot of my next ones. I've seen mention of linking powers in this and other threads. Officially only one I see that can do it is paralyze which is a +4 mod to add it to a ranged attack. What I'm looking to do seems to be more of a limitation so was wondering if they merit a cost reduction.

Such as...

Linked (-1) this power is tied to other power and blah blah.

for example what I'm looking to do is...

ALTERED FORM (3)
Trappings: Noxious Gas
More Elastic(+1)
Requires Activation(-1)

Flight(2)
Trappings:
Floating gas
Linked(-1) May only be used when in Altered Form
Infection (2)
Trappings:
Noxious Gas
Linked(-1) May only be used in Altered Form
Strong (x2)
Immunity (4) Kinetic
Trappings:Gaseous form
Immunity (4) Slashing
Trappings:Gaseous form

With this power I come to 12 points. Only the altered form requires the activation..once on all the others are on of course the Infection still takes a touch attack. Is the Linked mod too much? too little? should it come before or after the doubling of strong?

I'd say too much I'm afraid. In essence, this is the same as the Requires Activation Modifier; the difference is that this allows all the powers to be used with one "activation"

Also, there's the consideration of how much of a limitation it truly is with some of the powers. It might make more sense with some of the defenses where the character could be surprised in "normal form," but the character makes the decision to fly or use Infection, so those wouldn't be affected as much.

I'd be more inclined to look at this like the Gimmick Hindrance where the character doesn't have access to any of his powers unless he is in his Altered Form.

WickedRoland wrote:
EDIT:Are Kinetic and Slashing viable options for Immunity? They are for abosrbtion but for immunity I see more specific examples...such as steel, wood etc.

And that's how it works for Immunity. It should be a specific form of matter or energy, not a type of damage like Slashing or Kinetic I'm afraid.

WickedRoland wrote:
btw I'm trying to reproduce a particular comic character with these so...heres the next example.

Attack, Melee (2)
Trappings:
Whip-like tendrils appearing from back of hand.
Knockback(+2)
Reach(+2)

Ensnare(3)
Trappings:
Whip-like tendrils appearing from back of hand.
Stronger(+3)
Linked(-1):
May only be used in conjunction with Attack, Melee

With this power it would appear you could do it with the powers seperately. What I was thinking is that this way you could ensare with the extra reach from Attack, Melee without purchasing ranged Attack for Ensnare. Which is farther than I want to ensare anyway do to trappings. Also this would add the extra damage from Attack, Melee like you had grappled the opponent.

This also bring up the question of..Does Ensnare cause damage like grappling? I guess not since it has no mention of it but would you allow it for the power I designed.I guess maybe it would just be combining one roll for Attack, Melee and Ensnare with just effects of snare continuing until opponent breaks free or I let them loose.

Ensnare does not do damage like Grappling. In fact, I would say that is what you should be using. Instead of buying Ensnare, just make Grappling attacks.

The Reach applies, the Attack, Melee damage applies, and with the points spent on Ensnare, the character could add +5 to Super Strength which would both increase damage and the opposed roll to get out of the Grapple.

WickedRoland wrote:
This also brought up a general SW question for me but I considered using it as part of the trappings for this power. Where are stats for a Whip? I have SW revised and NE and can find it in neither.

There are no stats for a whip in either of those books. Deadlands: Reloaded had stats for a whip, but that was based off the Way of the Brave rules. They may be discussed in the Reloaded section of the forum(I know there was an errata about the damage), so you could look there if you don't have the book yourself. I don't have access to my book right now, and while I have an idea, I don't want to give out inaccurate information.

If someone doesn't post it by tomorrow, I should be able to get it.

Hope this helps.

www.peginc.com
WickedRoland
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It helped alot. I appreciate the time. I've found since posting the Strength in Versitility article in Shark Bytes and its helped me to rethink some of my ideas. As has your answers but in thinking of alternate ways of doing this I've arrived at a new question.

The Phaser modifier for Intangibility allows you to shift in and out of phase rapidly with a spirit roll. Would this allow someone to return to tangible statis make touch attack then go intangible again in same action?

So here is the revised character I've decided on.

Altered Form (3)
Trappings:
Noxious Gas
Liquefy (+3) [from the article mentioned above but in this case I'd call it dispersion or diffusion given the trappings]
Requires Activation (-1)
Flight (2)
Trappings:
Gaseous form
Infection (2)
Trappings
: Noxious Gas
Strong(x2)

Ageless(1)

Attack, Melee (4)
Trappings:
Whip tendrils from back of hand
Knockback(+2)
Reach (+2)

20 points now...Novice character.

I may take 2 points from attack, melee for super attribute agility and strength probably. Still I want the first three powers tied together. Can't fly or infect unless he is in gaseous form. Would the trappings cover that in your opinion? I could go with gimmick except that would limit all his powers. maybe.....

Gimmick (Minor) as the Major except only half of starting power points must be affected by the characters gimmick.

EDIT: After successfully grappling an opponent is continuing it for damage an action? In other words would say an ambidextrous character be able to punch the grappled character with no MAP?

Thanks for the time. Just wish i could take credit for the character...all I'm doing is trying to stat him. Smile
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WickedRoland wrote:
The Phaser modifier for Intangibility allows you to shift in and out of phase rapidly with a spirit roll. Would this allow someone to return to tangible statis make touch attack then go intangible again in same action?

WickedRoland wrote:
I may take 2 points from attack, melee for super attribute agility and strength probably. Still I want the first three powers tied together. Can't fly or infect unless he is in gaseous form. Would the trappings cover that in your opinion? I could go with gimmick except that would limit all his powers. maybe.....

I would say that trappings are the prime way to go with this. It's just the way the powers work. You could just tweak the powers a bit to account for that. Say base Flight off of Pace+2 instead of straight Pace, or an additional -1 to the Vigor roll for Infection.

WickedRoland wrote:
EDIT: After successfully grappling an opponent is continuing it for damage an action? In other words would say an ambidextrous character be able to punch the grappled character with no MAP?

Yes, choosing to do damage with a grapple would be an action. Trying to do grapple damage and punch damage would incur the MAP as normal (though Two Fisted would counter this as usual).

Edit: To "answer" a previous question, whips in Deadlands do Str+1d4 damage (Str+1 core system). They have Reach: 2, and Parry: -1. On a raise, they do not do an extra 1d6 damage, but instead the target is -2 to Parry until their next action.

www.peginc.com
Judge Holden
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:42 am    Post subject: [Rippers] Drugs and Holy Warrior Reply with quote

How much of the half a pound of Morphine or Cocaine or Opium is a dose, or is each purchase price for one dose? How long would it take to fix up or smoke the required amount?
Is there any 'kit' included with this purchase price (huge syringes, towels, etc) or is that seperate?

and is the Holy Warrior Edge from the main rule book intended to be used in this setting or is it too overpowered?

- Dave Foley
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: [Rippers] Drugs and Holy Warrior Reply with quote

Wiggy will probably need to cover the other questions, but...

Judge Holden wrote:
and is the Holy Warrior Edge from the main rule book intended to be used in this setting or is it too overpowered?

Holy Warrior is allowed as mentioned in the book. This post might help with ideas on how it could work in Rippers.

http://www.peginc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=94145&highlight=holy+warrior#94145

www.peginc.com
Wiggy
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: [Rippers] Drugs and Holy Warrior Reply with quote

Judge Holden wrote:
How much of the half a pound of Morphine or Cocaine or Opium is a dose, or is each purchase price for one dose? How long would it take to fix up or smoke the required amount?
Is there any 'kit' included with this purchase price (huge syringes, towels, etc) or is that seperate?

I'd say that each half a pound equates to 10 doses for ease.

As for using times, opium is smoked and I'd say around 30 minutes to an hour for a good fix. Cocaine is probably a few minutes to give it a good snort (unless it's in a liquid solution in which case I'd treat it as...), and morphine about five minutes to tie the arm, finda good vein, fill the syringe, etc.

Again for ease, assume that each half pound comes with the necessary kit/paraphernalia.

Wiggy
WickedRoland
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok came up after first combat in NE.

Force Control the base power is described as melee at range. Strength based damage. Strength based on level of power of course.

So one of my players asked if he still got his wild die when rolling damage on a force control attack. I thought no probably not but allowed it at the time since they were getting smacked around bad enough already but what should it be?
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WickedRoland wrote:
Ok came up after first combat in NE.

Force Control the base power is described as melee at range. Strength based damage. Strength based on level of power of course.

So one of my players asked if he still got his wild die when rolling damage on a force control attack. I thought no probably not but allowed it at the time since they were getting smacked around bad enough already but what should it be?

In the first paragraph of the power's description, check out the last sentence...

Quote:
Those who are hit by it suffer the force's damage (its Strength die plus a Wild Die, just like a Wild Card character).

So, you had it right. Smile

[Edit: By the current rules, Force Control still works like a character's unarmed attack just rolling its Strength die for damage, no Wild Die.]

www.peginc.com

Last edited by Clint on Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:56 am; edited 1 time in total
WickedRoland
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol thanks. See how the heat of battle affects people? Not one but two of us lost the ability to read.
TheLoremaster
Legendary

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:52 am    Post subject: Necropolis: Orders and Branches and Chaplains ... oh my! Reply with quote

Okay, I'm a little confused by how the various branches and orders are supposed to relate. Each order has various members that fill certain roles, so you can have an Impaler Artillerist, an Impaler Scout, an Impaler Medic, etc. How do the Chaplains fit into all this? Are they an Order unto themselves, or is it just another branch within an order?

The reason why I ask is that page 9 indicates that a Chaplain requires Healing d6+, but page 12 indicates that Chaplains get Healing d6 for free. Are there two different types of Chaplains, those of an Order and those of a Branch? Which option is valid:

- Chaplain Artillerist?
- Impaler Chaplain?
- Chaplain Chaplain?

Maybe I just need more coffee ...
Wiggy
Legendary

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Necropolis: Orders and Branches and Chaplains ... oh my! Reply with quote

TheLoremaster wrote:

The reason why I ask is that page 9 indicates that a Chaplain requires Healing d6+, but page 12 indicates that Chaplains get Healing d6 for free. Are there two different types of Chaplains, those of an Order and those of a Branch? Which option is valid:

- Chaplain Artillerist?
- Impaler Chaplain?
- Chaplain Chaplain?

The second one is correct. Each order maintains its own cadre of chaplains, versed in the nuances of the order's take on the faith.

The requirement is listed for completeness and because there's nothing stopping a knight from becoming a chaplain. As is says on p.39, "[Characters] may, however, change roles within their order. So long as the character meets the minimum requirements for his new role he may request an internal transfer."

So the hero needs to meet the Healing d6+ to become a chaplain after character generation as he doesn't get the special training of a chaplain (which takes years, and is thus a character generation bonus).

Hope that helps.

Wiggy
SlasherEpoch
Legendary

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Necropolis:

Spoilers wrote:

The Undead's Weird Science has necromantic trappings, right? So does it have the ability to recharge PP or Wounds for the wielder?

Merci en avance

Evil Wig Enterprises Minion #15 - "The
Machete"
Wiggy
Legendary

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SlasherEpoch wrote:
Necropolis:

Spoilers wrote:

The Undead's Weird Science has necromantic trappings, right? So does it have the ability to recharge PP or Wounds for the wielder?

Merci en avance

Where applicable, yes. Undead Extras would use the former (having no wound levels) and Wild Cards would use the latter. Basically, the weapon drains the life energy from victims.

Wiggy
WickedRoland
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: NE Gimmick question Reply with quote

Ok say I have a character with Gimmick and I'm making two seperate characters and personalities for them. The human character without AB: Superpowers has the Luck and Great Luck edges. He gets his two extra bennies at beginning of session. Now question is can the alter ego (character with AB: Superpowers) use these bennies?

At first I think no he shouldn't be able to use them because seperate characters and he's not lucky but then it crosses my mind that they are using the same 3 generic bennies everyone gets. So if they share the generic ones they should share the luck ones otherwise each character should have his own pool of 3 generic bennies to draw from.

So now that I've unduly complicated my question...which variation is correct?

A: 3 shared generic bennies for both, 2 Luck bennies for Character 1

B: 3 shared generic bennies for both, 2 Luck bennies shared by both

C: 3 generic bennies per character, 2 Luck bennies for Character 1
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: NE Gimmick question Reply with quote

WickedRoland wrote:
Ok say I have a character with Gimmick and I'm making two seperate characters and personalities for them. The human character without AB: Superpowers has the Luck and Great Luck edges. He gets his two extra bennies at beginning of session. Now question is can the alter ego (character with AB: Superpowers) use these bennies?

At first I think no he shouldn't be able to use them because seperate characters and he's not lucky but then it crosses my mind that they are using the same 3 generic bennies everyone gets. So if they share the generic ones they should share the luck ones otherwise each character should have his own pool of 3 generic bennies to draw from.

So now that I've unduly complicated my question...which variation is correct?

A: 3 shared generic bennies for both, 2 Luck bennies for Character 1

B: 3 shared generic bennies for both, 2 Luck bennies shared by both

C: 3 generic bennies per character, 2 Luck bennies for Character 1

Choice "A" would be correct. Character 1's Edges (or Hindrances for that matter) only affect Character 1.

The GM can choose to make an exception for converting Bennies to XPs as a character with Gimmick is already taking a hit in experience in having to divide his level-ups between two characters, or optionally, the GM can require XPs earned from those Bennies to apply solely to that character, which would just require keeping two tracks of XPs.

Sorry for the delay, hope that helps.

www.peginc.com
Jyass
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked all throughout the NE book, but I couldn't find where the weight and size of a V'sori King Crab tank was. So, what's the info on the King Crab? In addition, what's the info on the other V'sori vehicles?

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I searched all around the forums and couldn't find it.
Noshrok Grimskull
Legendary

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evernight

SPOILERS POSSIBLE!!

How do I calculate damage if a character benefits from both Mighty Blow (double melee damage on a round he's got a Joker) and Slayer (double damage on a raise on an attack roll vs. Spiders)? Let's say he rolls a 5 for Strength and has a longsword (+3) - this gives him 10 damage (5 + 3 + another 2 for the Joker). Does he dish out 40 damage now?

And what if he goes overboard and adds the Adventure Card "Deadly Blow"? 80 damage?

And on a related note:
The Slayer Edge says that you know the soft spots on the Spiders and aim for them. Can I still use Slayer with Sweep or Frenzy or while going Berserk?

"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes 'ding' when there's stuff." - The Doctor (Doctor Who)
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jyass wrote:
I looked all throughout the NE book, but I couldn't find where the weight and size of a V'sori King Crab tank was. So, what's the info on the King Crab? In addition, what's the info on the other V'sori vehicles?

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I searched all around the forums and couldn't find it.

Don't know how I missed this question. I apologize.

King Crab - 45 tons
Barracuda - 7 tons
Sargasso - 5 tons
Stingray - 2 tons
Manta - 6 tons
Mbuna - 15 tons
Man O' War - Too much!

Hope this helps.

www.peginc.com
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noshrok Grimskull wrote:
Evernight

SPOILERS POSSIBLE!!

How do I calculate damage if a character benefits from both Mighty Blow (double melee damage on a round he's got a Joker) and Slayer (double damage on a raise on an attack roll vs. Spiders)? Let's say he rolls a 5 for Strength and has a longsword (+3) - this gives him 10 damage (5 + 3 + another 2 for the Joker). Does he dish out 40 damage now?

And what if he goes overboard and adds the Adventure Card "Deadly Blow"? 80 damage?

Short version: yes.

If a character with both the Slayer and Mighty Blow Edges is fighting a spider, draws a Joker, and someone plays the Deadly Blow AD card*, then he could stack all those effects.

Why he would, I have no idea. By the time he's hit 40 points of damage, he's probably already doing 7-8 wounds, so someone using the Adventure Card then is really kind of pointless, but maybe there's some reason I'm missing... other than a "Boo-YAH!" moment. Wink

*Note that the Deadly Blow card specifically does not state that it only affects the holder's attack; it says it can be played simply after a successful melee attack. So it could be played after another character's attack if the player wished to use their card for someone else.

Noshrok Grimskull wrote:
And on a related note:
The Slayer Edge says that you know the soft spots on the Spiders and aim for them. Can I still use Slayer with Sweep or Frenzy or while going Berserk?

Yes, same way you would be able to make a Called Shot with those too. Or more accurately, it's the same as the normal bonus 1d6 damage for a raise. An Edge is going to state if it specifically does not work with something; otherwise it does.

Hope this clears things up!

www.peginc.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Official Answers on How the Rules In Other Pinnacle Products Work All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36
Page 36 of 36

Jump to: