Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

***Rules Questions for SW Settings***
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Official Answers on How the Rules In Other Pinnacle Products Work
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peregrinefalcon
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 4:36 am    Post subject: Ne Questions Reply with quote

Ran my first session of Ne tonight, This is also my First Savage Worlds game, although I do own all the deadlands books except reloaded.

1. Can burrow be used with persision? Has super tunneler, Can he use the burrow power to burrow through a door? He also used it to burrow out cell bars, and hinges on another door. His trapping is that he actually chews and claws his way through.

2. Is there anyway to split movement? Ie move attack move again. A character has speed Sonic wants to move in attack and then move away

I'm sure I'll have others later.
favwiz
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:53 pm    Post subject: NE: Activated Powers Reply with quote

1. Does the requires activation discount listed for several powers mean that you must activate the power as a free action every round you use it? Does this mean the power would not be active when you are surprised or shaken and thus not able to take an action?

2. How does delayed activation work with power armor? It doesn't seem like much of a penalty if it only delays you putting it on. Does it mean that you have to go through the activiation process prior to every encoutner you plan on using it?

Thanks
favwiz
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:10 pm    Post subject: NE: Paralysis Reply with quote

1. Can paralysis be combined with the area effect modifier of attack ranged? This seems to allow paralysis to be applied to a large number of targets per round.

2. Since paralysis is not listed as an elemental effect, can you go ahead and add an effect like cold. This would force a target of the ranged attack to suffer damage, make a vigor check to resist the paralysis, and finally make another vigor check to resist the effect of the cold.

3. When you combine paralysis with attack - ranged are they still considered speperate powers? This matters if the effect is coming from a device such as a wand or a staff. If they are seperate power, you can take the device discount twice.

Thanks
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Ne Questions Reply with quote

Peregrinefalcon wrote:
1. Can burrow be used with persision? Has super tunneler, Can he use the burrow power to burrow through a door? He also used it to burrow out cell bars, and hinges on another door. His trapping is that he actually chews and claws his way through.

If it is an inanimate object, I'd say he could. I'd rule that it would take at least one action though, since the speed is so reduced for denser material.

Peregrinefalcon wrote:
2. Is there anyway to split movement? Ie move attack move again. A character has speed Sonic wants to move in attack and then move away

Movement can already be divided like that. The issue for the speedster though is if the target doesn't end up Shaken or Incapacitated, they will get a free attack when he tries to move away.

www.peginc.com
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: NE: Activated Powers Reply with quote

favwiz wrote:
1. Does the requires activation discount listed for several powers mean that you must activate the power as a free action every round you use it? Does this mean the power would not be active when you are surprised or shaken and thus not able to take an action?

A character does need to be able to perform a free action to keep a Requires Activation power up. However, this does not mean they would go down when Shaken. A Shaken character can't perform regular actions, but could perform a free action.

If surprised before it is activated though, it would not work. Neither when unconscious or Incapacitated.

favwiz wrote:
2. How does delayed activation work with power armor? It doesn't seem like much of a penalty if it only delays you putting it on. Does it mean that you have to go through the activiation process prior to every encoutner you plan on using it?

It should be just about that limiting. If the armor takes a while to put on, but the character then wears it all day, then as described, Slow Activation wouldn't really apply. For some reason, the character doesn't wear the armor all the time, and has to take the time to put it on before he needs it.

If the character pretty much has the armor when he needs it, then it should be more like the Armor Clad Archetype who doesn't have Slow Activation.

www.peginc.com
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: NE: Paralysis Reply with quote

favwiz wrote:
1. Can paralysis be combined with the area effect modifier of attack ranged? This seems to allow paralysis to be applied to a large number of targets per round.

It would. The benefit of tying it to Attack, Ranged.

favwiz wrote:
2. Since paralysis is not listed as an elemental effect, can you go ahead and add an effect like cold. This would force a target of the ranged attack to suffer damage, make a vigor check to resist the paralysis, and finally make another vigor check to resist the effect of the cold.

If Paralysis is linked to Attack, Ranged, then those Modifiers apply. You don't need to add Elemental Trick to Paralysis, just to Attack, Ranged, and it would do just what you described.

favwiz wrote:
3. When you combine paralysis with attack - ranged are they still considered speperate powers? This matters if the effect is coming from a device such as a wand or a staff. If they are seperate power, you can take the device discount twice.

Though linked, they are still considered separate powers for purposes of the Device modifier.

Hope this helps.

www.peginc.com
Ryori
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: NE: Activated Powers Reply with quote

Clint wrote:

favwiz wrote:

It should be just about that limiting. If the armor takes a while to put on, but the character then wears it all day, then as described, Slow Activation wouldn't really apply. For some reason, the character doesn't wear the armor all the time, and has to take the time to put it on before he needs it.

If the character pretty much has the armor when he needs it, then it should be more like the Armor Clad Archetype who doesn't have Slow Activation.

BTW - the example under devices does not seem in line with the verbage.

I am trying to make a normal guy with a power suit - rather standard Comic stuff. In trying to understand and fulfill slow activation, I'm running into problems figuring out what that limitation really is. Our campaign won't really provide the need to be out of the suit while we're playing so just putting on the suit isn't a limitation the route we're going. I have 8 powers in the suit, some combat oriented, some not. So right now that's 8 "free" points - which is substantial. Some I can sub out the native Requires Activation and avoid the question. But we're still looking at 4 or 5 points to determine a fair limitation for both player and GM.

Here are some examples of why my confusion in picking a legit limitation happens:

Broadcast: takes 5+1d6 rounds to ramp up, find the signal. Makes perfect sense, but I would imagine this is normally outside of combat so not a big deal. I could see some circumstances where you'd want to jam a signal, perhaps, but didn't have that minute before the bad guys got their signal out. But in general, not very limiting.

Combat Edges: Our combats typically have lasted 5-10 rounds. So in general, if I didn't get it fired up before combat, the slow activation makes the edge unavailable for combat. Being a combat focused item, it makes it mostly unusable. If I can warm it up in advance, then we're back to the original question.

Flight: takes 5+1d6 to warm up the jets. Still very usable in travel. But does limit the ability in combat to make a quick vertical getaway.

So in those three I would say limited limitation, massive limitation, and about right.

My other hangup is that except for two powers, I can replace everything with gear if I had the money (which I almost do) so it is tough to gauge how much "free" I am getting at the moment. The GM sees 8 points, I'm seeing an advance on my next Rich edge check.
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: NE: Activated Powers Reply with quote

Ryori wrote:
BTW - the example under devices does not seem in line with the verbage.

It can be confusing. It might have been clearer if we said Zero's armor took a while to charge instead of put on. It's not the best example as rarely will putting on armor quailify for Slow Activation, but it could happen with some designs. In this case, stick with the verbage.

Ryori wrote:
I am trying to make a normal guy with a power suit - rather standard Comic stuff. In trying to understand and fulfill slow activation, I'm running into problems figuring out what that limitation really is. Our campaign won't really provide the need to be out of the suit while we're playing so just putting on the suit isn't a limitation the route we're going. I have 8 powers in the suit, some combat oriented, some not. So right now that's 8 "free" points - which is substantial. Some I can sub out the native Requires Activation and avoid the question. But we're still looking at 4 or 5 points to determine a fair limitation for both player and GM.

Here are some examples of why my confusion in picking a legit limitation happens:

Broadcast: takes 5+1d6 rounds to ramp up, find the signal. Makes perfect sense, but I would imagine this is normally outside of combat so not a big deal. I could see some circumstances where you'd want to jam a signal, perhaps, but didn't have that minute before the bad guys got their signal out. But in general, not very limiting.

Combat Edges: Our combats typically have lasted 5-10 rounds. So in general, if I didn't get it fired up before combat, the slow activation makes the edge unavailable for combat. Being a combat focused item, it makes it mostly unusable. If I can warm it up in advance, then we're back to the original question.

Flight: takes 5+1d6 to warm up the jets. Still very usable in travel. But does limit the ability in combat to make a quick vertical getaway.

So in those three I would say limited limitation, massive limitation, and about right.

Ultimately, it comes down to the last sentence under Slow Activation...

"Ignore this modifier if the device is basically always on and ready to go, even if it takes a while to start initially."

I'd agree with your assessment; with Flight, it would work. The others, not so much. Although, for Broadcast, it should be noted that the delay time is at least 5+1d6 rounds. The GM could easily increase the delay to make it "appropriately" limiting.

On a side note, Slow Activation would be pointless for Super Edges; their cost can't be reduced anymore than it already is for Device alone. That would apply to any power costing 2 PPs.

Ryori wrote:
My other hangup is that except for two powers, I can replace everything with gear if I had the money (which I almost do) so it is tough to gauge how much "free" I am getting at the moment. The GM sees 8 points, I'm seeing an advance on my next Rich edge check.

Not sure what a "Rich edge check" is (guessing it's a house rule of your GM), but generally Devices survive a lot more than gear. A Device is going to be treated as part of the Wild Card and can take equivalent wounds, but gear is just like a normal item, and damage that exceeds its Toughness will break it.

Hope this helps a bit. If not, just let me know.

www.peginc.com
Ryori
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The check I mentioned would be income available from the Rich edge.

If the device provided 2 combat edges the cost would be 4, 2 per edge. The discount only applies once per power set (even if it was two devices, correct). So 4 total, minus 1 for device, minus 1 if slow activation ?

That is a good point I had not considered about normal gear. Super gear is special in that way.

With something combat focused, would you suggest avoiding the Slow Activation, or reducing to say one or two rounds (i.e. cards passed out on round one, my turn I activate, round 3 it is ready).
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryori wrote:
If the device provided 2 combat edges the cost would be 4, 2 per edge. The discount only applies once per power set (even if it was two devices, correct). So 4 total, minus 1 for device, minus 1 if slow activation ?

You are correct. Sorry, I was thinking of just one edge.

Ryori wrote:
With something combat focused, would you suggest avoiding the Slow Activation, or reducing to say one or two rounds (i.e. cards passed out on round one, my turn I activate, round 3 it is ready).

I'd avoid Slow Activation. If you want to go with a modifier, I'd see if the GM would allow Requires Activation (but that's only an issue if the character would be disadvantaged by being surprised). As is, the minimum time is 5+1d6 rounds, but if the GM wants to reduce the time, it's his call too.

One option might be to reduce the time, but if the character is Shaken, the power has to be reactivated all over again.

www.peginc.com
Boldfist
Heroic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reposting this into this thread at DerFinsterling's suggestion.

Greetings!

Playing NE and had a question. This came up at our Columbus Game day and again at Origins. I just forgot to ever ask the powers that be for their interpretation on it. It came up again tonight and thought I'd throw this out there.

If a Supervillain wants to throw another Supervillain (aka Fastball Special) what rules do you use?

Just a throwing roll to pickup the Supervillain and hurl him at a foe? Using the Strength chart a villain with d12+4 strength could hurl another villain that weighs up to 400 lbs (half the load limit) at a range of 6/12/24. How much damage would the hurtling villain do to the target? Would you allow the villian to take his action if he were on hold just before hitting the target? If so, how much additional damage would he do for being thrown?

What if the hurtling villain wasn't on hold and just hit the target? Would he suffer damage as well? How much? And how much damage would he do to the target?

I think I have reasonable answers to these questions but wanted to post them without offering my opinion first... Any takers?
Judge Holden
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all: picture a very fat dancing swordsman.

Ok now that you have an appropriate mental picture, I can ask my question.

Can I stack Fleet-Footed Edge with the Obese hinderance? If so does the running dice stay at d10 (for fleet footed) or d4 (for obese) or do you split the difference and put it at d6?

- Dave Foley
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boldfist wrote:
Reposting this into this thread at DerFinsterling's suggestion.

Covered in original thread.

www.peginc.com
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judge Holden wrote:
First of all: picture a very fat dancing swordsman.

Do I have to? Wink

Judge Holden wrote:
Ok now that you have an appropriate mental picture, I can ask my question.

Can I stack Fleet-Footed Edge with the Obese hinderance? If so does the running dice stay at d10 (for fleet footed) or d4 (for obese) or do you split the difference and put it at d6?

I'd allow it. Since the Edge increases the Running die by two die types normally, I'd run it the same way. So the Obese character with a base d4 Running Die would get a d8.

www.peginc.com
Renny
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Quick NE question if I may?

How do I simulate a suit of powered armour with enviromental support i.e built in air supply and so on. Immunity doesn't seem to quite fit.

Thanks for your help

Renny
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Renny wrote:
Quick NE question if I may?

How do I simulate a suit of powered armour with enviromental support i.e built in air supply and so on. Immunity doesn't seem to quite fit.

Depends on what is meant by "...and so on."

If you just want an internal air supply, take Immunity: Air/Wind. That makes the character immune to any environmental effects related to that, which in this case would cover suffocation.

If however, you are looking for a character who can go orbital and look down on the little blue planet (i.e. Immune to Air, Heat, Cold, Radiation, etc...), sorry, but that's purposefully not in NE. Or to be more specific, it's not cheaply available in NE on purpose due to the setting and story.

It could be done, but it would require taking the 4 Immunities listed above and at least 1 point of full coverage Heavy Armor (to protect against the pressure differentials).

For NE, I do allow one other option for power armor suits; the character can integrate a "normal" spacesuit into the armor. This just requires spending money on the equipment.

Sound too good? Well, it's gear, not a power, so if the character is only just Shaken by an attack, the suit is breached. Definitely not something to depend on in combat.

Hope that helps in some way.

www.peginc.com
Renny
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clint

Thanks for the reply. That's exactly what I needed. The character's powersuit isn't that advanced but I wanted to include the air supply.

Many thanks for your help. I love the setting, btw.

Regards

Renny
GreenTongue
Heroic

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been under the impression that the "Gang Up" bonus was partly limited to 4 because there was a physical limit to the number of bodies that could effectively engage in a fight with a human sized opponent.

Does this limit exist when "reach" weapons are used?

At what point do you switch to the swarm rules and would you keep the +4?
=
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GreenTongue wrote:
I have been under the impression that the "Gang Up" bonus was partly limited to 4 because there was a physical limit to the number of bodies that could effectively engage in a fight with a human sized opponent.

Does this limit exist when "reach" weapons are used?

Yes, the limit always exists. It's not based on the physical limit of bodies, but more because after a certain point, more attackers just aren't any more help to others in fighting a single opponent.

GreenTongue wrote:
At what point do you switch to the swarm rules and would you keep the +4?

Swarms are considered a single entity; they don't get the Gang Up bonus from themselves. Generally their advantages are in their own abilities.

As far as "switching to the swarm rules," I'm not quite sure what you mean... unless this is related to the Pulp GM Toolkit, which might explain why this question is in the Official Settings thread. #1kopfpatsch

Sorry, we'll see if Wiggy has an answer for that.

www.peginc.com
Wiggy
Legendary

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Clint]As far as "switching to the swarm rules," I'm not quite sure what you mean... unless this is related to the Pulp GM Toolkit, which might explain why this question is in the Official Settings thread. #1kopfpatsch

Sorry, we'll see if Wiggy has an answer for that.[/quote]

Nothing new about swarm rules in the Pulp Toolkits AFAIR. Just lots of sample swarms.

Wiggy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Official Answers on How the Rules In Other Pinnacle Products Work All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36  Next
Page 33 of 36

Jump to: