Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

***Rules Questions for SW Settings***
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 34, 35, 36  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Official Answers on How the Rules In Other Pinnacle Products Work
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jyass wrote:
On page 129 of the NE hardback book, it lists 4-Star as having a d12+1 in a skill called deflection. I was intrigued by this until I realized that he had no throwing skill for his throwing stars, so I replaced the deflection skill with a throwing at the same die type (d12+1). Was the deflection skill a typo or is there some game rule involving deflection that I haven't grasped yet?

Just a mistake. You did right making it Throwing. He should also list as a power...

Super-Skill: Throwing (+2 Steps).

www.peginc.com
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: super-strength as a heavy weapon in NE Reply with quote

palehorse wrote:
nerdron wrote:

clint is gone? what will we do?!!! Smile
when is he due back?

Some time around this weekend or next Monday-ish, IIRC.

Correct. Wink

www.peginc.com
Mr. Freak
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If an opponent was engaged in melee and someone snuck up on them would they get the +4 hold bonus or just the +1 gang up?
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Galen_Rasputin wrote:
If an opponent was engaged in melee and someone snuck up on them would they get the +4 hold bonus or just the +1 gang up?

This does not seem to be a setting specific question, so I answered it under the general question thread here...

http://www.peginc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=87878&highlight=#87878

www.peginc.com
Banjo
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:22 pm    Post subject: NE - Combat Drugs ? Reply with quote

Various combat drugs in NE give bonuses to physical attributes.
Do these bonuses also apply to the skills associated with these attributes Question
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: NE - Combat Drugs ? Reply with quote

Banjo wrote:
Various combat drugs in NE give bonuses to physical attributes.
Do these bonuses also apply to the skills associated with these attributes Question

Hmm, not as written... but you could run it that way. The only one it would really affect would be Agility which is a bit shortshrifted anyway.

I'd say it affects the skill only if the character already has it. It will increase linked skills if the character has at least a d4 in them, but it won't give any increase if the character is unskilled.

www.peginc.com
Apollo
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am unclear on statement on page 30 of the Necessary Evil book that Active powers require a Shooting or Throwing roll. I understand Attack Ranged requiring a Shooting roll. What other powers require this?

Here are some I am unsure of:

Force Control Bind, Energy Control Damage, Earthquake, Stun
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apollo wrote:
I am unclear on statement on page 30 of the Necessary Evil book that Active powers require a Shooting or Throwing roll. I understand Attack Ranged requiring a Shooting roll. What other powers require this?

Basically any power that requires targeting a point at range.

Apollo wrote:
Here are some I am unsure of:

Force Control Bind, Energy Control Damage, Earthquake, Stun

Energy Control and Stun: Yes.

Earthquake: No (it's a straight line that starts from the character).

Force Control: No/Yes. Force Control uses Fighting normally (it's mentioned in the power description a couple of times). In essence, it's just using Strength at range, so Fighting is the more appropriate skill... usually. You could easily switch out the use of Fighting for Shooting, but either way, it does need some skill for targeting.

Hope this helps!

www.peginc.com
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarkEmperor040 wrote:
If someone wanted to create a character that could absorb not just one type of attack coming at him and then use the transference and reflection modifiers to them, how should you go about purchasing the powers?

Absorption (Type 1) with the modifiers to start it off, but then, if you wanted another type, wouldn't you have to buy Absorption (Type 2). And, if you wanted to use the modifiers with the second absorption, would you have to buy them both again?

I'd just have them spend the base 4 PP's for each type of energy absorbed. I wouldn't make them buy the power all over again. In essence, a new Modifier...

Extra Type (+4): You may absorb one additional type of energy each time you take this modifier.

www.peginc.com
DarkEmperor040
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to ask this on the previous question. With the Reflection modifier to Absorption, does the villain need to make a shooting roll and does the reflected damage only go back to the person who dealt it, or can it target someone else? I would think so.
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarkEmperor040 wrote:
I forgot to ask this on the previous question. With the Reflection modifier to Absorption, does the villain need to make a shooting roll and does the reflected damage only go back to the person who dealt it, or can it target someone else? I would think so.

Either way.

You can run it as true reflected energy. In which case, it automatically attacks the original attack as if using their own attack roll. Most of the time this won't be an issue, but if the attacker is behind cover or something and the target wasn't, it could make a difference.

Or you can allow the character to direct the reflected energy to attack others. In this case, they have to make a Shooting roll to hit every time they reflect energy (even if attacking the original source of the energy).

I'd say the two ways pretty much balance out.

www.peginc.com
Mindseye
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:41 pm    Post subject: When Cap throws his mighty shield . . . Reply with quote

I remember this being covered earlier, but I can't find the topic. I'm assuming it's been pruned.

I was looking for a modifier for Attack, Ranged, that simulates the character throwing a unique weapon (Shield, Boomerang, Hammer, etc.) and it returning to them. I remember mention of Parry's Catch and Throw modifier, but it seems a bit cheap for getting the item to return as well as being able to throw it again. Opinions?

da Wookiee
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: When Cap throws his mighty shield . . . Reply with quote

da Wookiee wrote:
I remember this being covered earlier, but I can't find the topic. I'm assuming it's been pruned.

I was looking for a modifier for Attack, Ranged, that simulates the character throwing a unique weapon (Shield, Boomerang, Hammer, etc.) and it returning to them. I remember mention of Parry's Catch and Throw modifier, but it seems a bit cheap for getting the item to return as well as being able to throw it again. Opinions?

Hmm, I'm not sure I understand your question.

If the effect is just an item that you throw and it returns to you, that just seems like a trapping for Attack, Ranged (other than perhaps being a Device that can be taken away).

www.peginc.com
Apollo
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your answer. Am I correct to say using a power such as Stun or Energy Control with a Medium Burst Template would be a Target Number of 4 because it is an area effect attack?

If a character has Awareness, can he see in Pitch Black Darkness?
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apollo wrote:
Thanks for your answer. Am I correct to say using a power such as Stun or Energy Control with a Medium Burst Template would be a Target Number of 4 because it is an area effect attack?

Yeah, and instead of the normal deviation, you can just roll 1d6 since it can't deviate more than 6" anyway (half of 12").

Apollo wrote:
If a character has Awareness, can he see in Pitch Black Darkness?

Yep, "suffers no penalties for bad lighting..." Darkness is about as bad as lighting gets. Wink

Also be sure to check the Feeding Frenzy column in Sharkbytes for answers to a lot of questions. The link is in the first post.

www.peginc.com
Mindseye
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: When Cap throws his mighty shield . . . Reply with quote

Clint wrote:
da Wookiee wrote:

Hmm, I'm not sure I understand your question.

If the effect is just an item that you throw and it returns to you, that just seems like a trapping for Attack, Ranged (other than perhaps being a Device that can be taken away).

Okay, Working with that, Let me see if I've set it up right.

Attack, Ranged (Trapping: Thrown Shield that Returns) Rapid Fire, Device [cost: 5]

This way, Cap makes two Throwing rolls, (one Wild Die, replacing either Throwing Die) targets two different opponents, and regardless of whether he connects with either throw, the shield is assumed to have returned to him to be thrown again next turn. The shield can be taken from him, but otherwise, he's assumed to have it.

It seems so clear now. (assuming i've got it right) I don't know why I try to complicate things.

Thanks Clint.
SlasherEpoch
Legendary

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having finally ponied up the cash for NE myself (as the characters in the boards might indicate), I now have a question about Altered Form, specically about size increases. Are they possible? IE, is every 50% larger increment another point of Size up or down from their original, or is it just something for a character's question "Can I stretch that far?" It seems to me like some of the benefits of large size might be built in, but I thought I'd check.

Evil Wig Enterprises Minion #15 - "The
Machete"
Redeucer
Heroic

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Slasher,

For one point more, you get the additional 50% increase or decrease and +1 reach. So if you spent 6 points (3 on base Altered Form with More Elastic x3 for 3 more points) you would be able to stretch 4" and you would be able to grow to 3 times his normal size, or teeny tiny. You can be teeny tiny and still stretch 4", or you can be 3 times your size and stretch 4". Or anything inbetween. The amount you stretch is not tied to your size.

Does this answer your question?

Redeucer
Darth Squirellious, Dark Rodent of the Sith!

"Mediocrity has never been so EPIC!"
- SlasherEpoch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
SlasherEpoch
Legendary

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not...really. I sort of meant, "As an additional effect to Altered Form, can a character stretch to the point of counting as a Size+1 creature?"

In other words, can stretchiness imitate growth? Since the power says they can stretch to be 50% larger, it seems to imply that, but it's not spelled out yes or no.

Evil Wig Enterprises Minion #15 - "The
Machete"
Redeucer
Heroic

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way I understand it, yes...to a point. The exception being you don't get the actual the toughness and strength bonuses you get with Growth. Was that the question?

Redeucer
Darth Squirellious, Dark Rodent of the Sith!

"Mediocrity has never been so EPIC!"
- SlasherEpoch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Official Answers on How the Rules In Other Pinnacle Products Work All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 34, 35, 36  Next
Page 2 of 36

Jump to: