Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[DGP] The Latest on the Ravaged Earth Society!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 31, 32, 33  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Licensees
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you buy it?
Heck yes!
86%
 86%  [ 94 ]
Heck no!
13%
 13%  [ 15 ]
Total Votes : 109

MarshalEric
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, gang. Just a TRES update:

Talisman Studios is laying out the main TRES rulebook.

I recently ran a demo of TRES at Philcon Science Fiction Convention in Philadelphia on Nov. 18. The group consisted of a private detective, a weird scientist and a masked avenger. They played the Mystery of the Anasazi adventure and had fun.

I'm also working on a super secret surprise adventure for TRES. Details to follow. #1icon_bow
pulp hero
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarshalEric wrote:

Simply put, we're not using the Explorer's Edition! Smile
SWEX came out after Mystery of the Anasazi was written last year. We're using the revised Savage Worlds rules that came out in 2004, but if you want to use SWEX, feel free to adjust and make modifications. It's you game, after all!

Are you using SWEX for the TRES book? I have SWEX and do not want to have to convert a new setting from the older rules. Seems very strange. New fans will have SWEX and not Revised.

Quote:

Bigot was scrapped and replaced by
Jingoistic (Minor or Major) Your hero dislikes people from other races, nationalities, or cultures and believes his own race, nationality, and culture to be far superior—a jingoistic Englishman, for example, dislikes South Africans and Amazonians as much as the French or Spanish. He cannot help belittling other cultures at every opportunity. A character taking the Minor version has –2 Charisma among other cultures. The penalty increases to –4 for the Major Hindrance.

This is the same as the Hindrince from 50 fathoms Companion and Pirates books? It has the exact wording except for the people.

Get me TRES goodness!!

Pulp Hero
bloodshadows
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eagerly awaiting my Ravage Earth fix! Smile
jblittlefield
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pulp hero wrote:
MarshalEric wrote:

Simply put, we're not using the Explorer's Edition! Smile
SWEX came out after Mystery of the Anasazi was written last year. We're using the revised Savage Worlds rules that came out in 2004, but if you want to use SWEX, feel free to adjust and make modifications. It's you game, after all!

Are you using SWEX for the TRES book? I have SWEX and do not want to have to convert a new setting from the older rules. Seems very strange. New fans will have SWEX and not Revised.

Quote:

Bigot was scrapped and replaced by
Jingoistic (Minor or Major) Your hero dislikes people from other races, nationalities, or cultures and believes his own race, nationality, and culture to be far superior—a jingoistic Englishman, for example, dislikes South Africans and Amazonians as much as the French or Spanish. He cannot help belittling other cultures at every opportunity. A character taking the Minor version has –2 Charisma among other cultures. The penalty increases to –4 for the Major Hindrance.

This is the same as the Hindrince from 50 fathoms Companion and Pirates books? It has the exact wording except for the people.

Get me TRES goodness!!

Pulp Hero

1. A conversion document will most likely be provided. But don't quote me because I'm not "officially" involved with TRES any longer. Wink

2. Yep, it is. Pinnacle gave us permission to use it verbatim. Smile
Alan
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone dropped by doubleg's website recently?

How shocked was I?

Anyone in a position of 'the know' willing and able to tell us more?

Follow Savage Mojo on Twitter.
Renny
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What...the....hell ?????? Surprised

Renny

Currently 99% Savage and proud !
XcomSquaddie
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like something pretty serious.

Any news on release dates and whatnot?
XcomSquaddie
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a bit of googling, I found that the website was like that on March 11, so that's going on a week or so.
Savage Simon
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Double-G message says it all. Pinnacle considers the matter to be private and closed.

Simon
aethelwulf22
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a HUGE disappointment! And after such a long wait, too!

I just hope I don't have to wait too long for Pinnacle to finish Slipstream...
Or the man who's half a boy.
Boldfist
Heroic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am totally bummed about this.... We have been DYING for TRES to come out. In fact, we started our current campaign with the lastest copy of the player's guide just over a month ago in anticipation of it hitting shelves sometime this summer.

So, what does it mean that Eric is retaining the rights to the property?

Quote:
However, do not dispair; TRES will continue. It is currently in layout with Talisman and the first proof is just weeks away. DGP will be re-assigning all rights to the TRES property to its original owner, Eric Avedissian, as soon as possible so that any delay is minimised.

Will this be a Savage Setting through Eric somehow? If TRES is continuing will it still use the Savage rules?
starwars1138
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaarg! I sure hope the product makes it out as a Savage World product at some point. I've been looking forward to it for a while.
"Because I'm pretty?"
"Because you're pretty."
Dark Agnes
Novice

Location: Dancing in the Moonlight. Its a supernatural delight.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really disapointed about this.
Every since my husband first told me about it, I've been wait for TRES to be released.
I had a whole system worked out where I was going to start my players off in Rippers and then slide into TRES.
I can only hope that someday we'll see this released as part of the SW settings.
MadTinkerer
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tragic, but not hardly surprising to me.

(Disclaimer: I was officially a proofreader for DGP for a while, but haven't been involved for a couple years now. No, I'm not going to "leak" anything or do anything to violate my NDA. Everything I'm about to say doesn't violate my NDA (so relax, Clint Wink ).)

Savage Worlds is a game system designed for people who don't have much time to game anymore. Double G Press was a company founded and staffed by Savage Worlds fans. It did seem like a good idea at the time.

Everyone had enthusiasm in spades but not hardly any experience producing actual game products. Bill ("JB") had plenty of experience writing and editing fan-stuff, and you can still find a lot of his stuff if you look for it. Peter ("Leitchy") had professional experience in other areas, including web design. Eric had a really neat vision, and the creative power to bring his vision to life. I and most of the other miscellaneous folks invited to playtest and help out in other ways mostly just had enthusiasm and varied points of view. But sadly, all of that just doesn't add up to a team of professional game designers. Especially since we are scattered all over the world.

The problem is simply that producing something professionally is exponentially, quantitatively harder than producing something as a fan. (To cite an example from the PC gaming world: this is why you see a ton of Half Life 1 & 2 mods, and plenty of those are fantastic, but only the occasional Team Fortress or Portal are actually made professionally.) And to tell you the hard truth: in a sense, the fact that it's Savage Worlds makes it worse. Because Savage Worlds seems easy. It can be played by those who don't have a lot of time to spare with minimal effort. Making a product professionally demands time to learn how to make it professionally that the average SW fan just doesn't have.

I'm not blaming Shane at all, here. This same lesson was already learned the hard way by all of the people who jumped on the d20/OGL bandwagon explicitly to start their own small game companies and failed several years earlier*. If SW was more popular, we probably would have seen more Double G Presses already (Vampire Earth, anyone? Hey I bought it, so don't look at me.).

The fact that most SW licensees are successful, there are more official Savage Worlds settings currently being supported by PEG than D&D setting being supported by WotC, and there's still a tremendous amount of good fan-created work are all testaments to the potential of Savage Worlds. But producing a Savage Setting professionally is tougher than "you" probably think (where "you" is a SW fan who hasn't been involved in game publishing before).

The failure of Double G Press is tragic, but if we can all come away from this having learned a valuable lesson, then it won't be in vain. Selfishly, I'd rather learn it this way than make the mistake myself; and for that, at least, I am grateful.

And hey:
Quote:
It is currently in layout with Talisman and the first proof is just weeks away.
So there's still hope for TRES after all. I expect it will be popular once it finally gets out (and I have good reason for thinking so Wink ), and I wish Eric & Talisman the best of success.

*Heck, the d20 publishers had/have it easier, because most d20 products are just pieces and the publishers expect the GM to put the pieces together (with a few exceptions among the most popular and successful d20 publishers who are successful and popular for that reason). Would you pay $2 for a PDF that had six pages of fluff and just one race, a few Edges, several powers, or a dozen weapon write-ups? I might, but then I'm a Mega-Dorky Nerd God.

Check out Mad Tinkerer Dot Org!
Alan
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think anyone should get their hopes up until the dust has well and truly settled:

http://talisman-studios.com/index.php?blog=12&title=doubleg_press&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

Follow Savage Mojo on Twitter.
BluSponge
Heroic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That. Really. Sucks. Sad
MadTinkerer
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan wrote:
I don't think anyone should get their hopes up until the dust has well and truly settled:

http://talisman-studios.com/index.php?blog=12&title=doubleg_press&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

Eh? Surprised

This is really not good...

Check out Mad Tinkerer Dot Org!
Seeker of Truth
Heroic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that's really disappointing. TRES has been in my Top 5 Most Wanted Savage Settings since I turned Savage. I really hope another licensee can get this off the ground.
drcheckmate
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the risk of sounding... I don't know...

Look, I have the coolest character sheet ever made.
I have the time line.
I have wikipedia.
I have two copies of the core rules (three if you count PotSM).
I have the pulp tool kits and a couple of others.

I've got all I need. For now.

That said, I sure would miss having a nice shiny pulp savage setting sitting on my shelf next to NE, RunePunk, and PotSM. What I want to know is why TRES has never been picked up and run with by PEG. I love your product here guys, but you confuse me a great deal.

I, for one, will wait as paciently as possible for as long as necessary. The run way lights are on, the hat and the whip are handy, the (heavily modified) thunderbolt is warming up in the hangar, and the golden idol awaits! No Thule Society plot is going to prevent us from having this book.

Who, I say, WHO! Is with me on this?
XcomSquaddie
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MadTinkerer wrote:
Double G Press was a company founded and staffed by Savage Worlds fans.

Whatever the outcome, I salute their attempt. Even though things didn't work out, they took their shot at it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Licensees All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 31, 32, 33  Next
Page 32 of 33

Jump to: