Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Orin Rakatha

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zadmar
Heroic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:34 pm    Post subject: Orin Rakatha Reply with quote

Not sure if anyone else has been following the Orin Rakatha Kickstarter, but apparently they're planning to add support for Savage Worlds, and as there's only 28 hours to go I thought it worth a mention.

Sadly there's not a lot of information about the setting, but what there is sounds pretty intriguing - people escaping from other worlds, and living in magical sentient towers. It gives me a bit of an Earthdawn vibe (with the population hiding in kaers), with touch of Ravenloft (a harsh crossing point between worlds), and perhaps even some Riftwar thrown in for good measure. I rather like their artwork, too.

I'm not sure why they decided to handle the printing themselves - they could have halved their goal by using DriveThruRPG's POD service (like Accursed did), and also avoided the risk of ever-changing international shipping prices. But I only buy PDFs, so the question is somewhat academic as far as I'm concerned.
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Orin Rakatha Reply with quote

Zadmar wrote:
Not sure if anyone else has been following the Orin Rakatha Kickstarter, but apparently they're planning to add support for Savage Worlds, and as there's only 28 hours to go I thought it worth a mention.

Just to clarify, they may be "planning to add support for Savage Worlds," but the company is not an approved licensee nor have we yet been contacted with a request for such approval.

www.peginc.com
Zadmar
Heroic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was careful not to post in the "SW Licensees" forum Smile I'm just a backer and wasn't sure what the exact situation was, but they've expressed an intent to support Savage Worlds either as an official licencee or with a free fan supplement, so I thought others might be interested in taking a look. It would have made a lot more sense for them to investigate the licence before the Kickstarter finished, but that doesn't look like it'll happen.
amerigoV
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always worry at the quality when that happens. I have not played Fate but I do know it is very different from Pathfinder, and SW plays different than PF. I am not sure how different Fate is from SW. I just wonder if all the effort goes into Pathfinder and a rush job will be done for SW.

I had similar misgivings on the Dragon Gods KS, but at leasted SW was considered up front in their build (and I suspect they like SW better for the feel, but Pathfinder would bring in the $). That and the focus on music also worried me that they would stretch too thin. But in the end, a Dark Sun esque world from the originator of the work had to be bought to round out the fantasy library.
Zadmar
Heroic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amerigoV wrote:
I just wonder if all the effort goes into Pathfinder and a rush job will be done for SW.

That's always a concern, although in this case (as with Dragon Kings) it seems to be a system-agnostic setting with additional rules for different systems. When the crunch is kept separate from the fluff, I find it's easier to replace any crunch I don't like - and I'm finding myself becoming increasingly critical of crunch :/

While Savage Worlds certainly plays differently from Pathfinder, there are enough parallels that (if you're familiar with both systems) it's fairly fast to convert from the latter to the former. It also helps that Pathfinder is very strict and consistent with balancing the numbers, while Savage Worlds is much looser, and more robust and forgiving if the numbers are a little off - challenge ratings are far less important for us, for example.
ogbendog
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would probably be worth the other way, going from SW ->pathfinder

the problem I've seen with d20-> sw is with adventures, d20 adventures tend to have XP building encounters, when SW doesn't need them

http://www.rpgnow.com/product/119241/Kaisers-Gate-Field-Manual-Mounts
Zadmar
Heroic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ogbendog wrote:
It would probably be worth the other way, going from SW ->pathfinder

It's more difficult that way around, as Pathfinder is more granular than Savage Worlds, with greater emphasis on precisely defined and balanced NPCs. For example I can take a Pathfinder character with Strength 9-13 and treat that as Strength d6 in SW, and that's easy - but if I'm converting it the other way, I have to decide what d6 should be treated as, and the total of the resulting stats then needs to add up to a certain amount, depending on whether the creature has a normal/elite/etc stat array. It gets even more complex when you start going into skills and other abilities.

ogbendog wrote:
the problem I've seen with d20-> sw is with adventures, d20 adventures tend to have XP building encounters, when SW doesn't need them

Yes that's one of the biggies for converted adventures. Another is the setup of certain encounters - in D&D/Pathfinder it's common to face solo opponents, while Savage Worlds works better against groups of foes. Often you can work around that by adding some minions, but sometimes it requires rewriting the encounter.

However for the actual setting it's usually a fairly straightforward conversion.
ogbendog
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

type, I meant to say "worse"

going from SW to a more granular system which assumes a certain amount of encounters to level and encounters getting harder.

You'd also have to (probably) come up with feats, prestige classes, etc.

http://www.rpgnow.com/product/119241/Kaisers-Gate-Field-Manual-Mounts
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: