Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Campaign Idea

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
herrozerro
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:34 pm    Post subject: New Campaign Idea Reply with quote

So my current game is winding down, mainly due to conflicting schedules with school starting up and other stuff. So I have been digging through my old ideas folder for some inspiration for a new game. My stipulations are, I do not want to run just one shots, I'd like to have a little continuity. And I'd like the game structured around the idea that players may come and go between sessions.

I found an old idea buried in my folder called TAG, The Adventurers Guild. (stolen from a blog years ago under the name PMI, Party Management Incorporated. If anyone knows who it is from I'd love to know again.) The basic idea is that there is an organization TAG, and it is basically an adventurer brokering guild.

Players fill out an adventuring application: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jm30kzyjhjwbv79/Adventurer%20Application.pdf?dl=0

and get a new hire kit: https://www.dropbox.com/s/cm81tgu4j7ooynh/New%20hire%20Kit.pdf?dl=0

So the idea is that I keep a stable of quests that the players can choose from and we play out the adventure one shot style, and from there I can advance the meta plot of the people they might help or hinder. For example, they could have some common quest givers that will advance, perhaps a lowly scribe in the mages guild propelled from field research he managed while the party helps him lets him gain ranks in the mages guild and put up more quests.

Here is a sample adventure quest. https://www.dropbox.com/s/ia3g9elbkp5ka61/Quest%20-%20Beholder%20Issues.pdf?dl=0
So what do you think? Any comments, ideas questions?
gryffon2
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds cool. Could be run online and have multiple players, different players depending on the session. Some adventurers might cross over between groups and help on different quests.

Sounds plausible. Could get hectic for you as the gm though.
herrozerro
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well that's kind of the idea, run a game and just go with whomever shows up. Allow people to bring new characters or the same characters. I think a character could even have a stable of characters.

The format is sort of like PFS, D&D encounters or any other organized play. I can even have "seasons". Play adventures and advance my own metaplot.
The One
Heroic

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've run similar, an episodic game where each adventure is about 3 to 4 hours long. It helps to have the players fill out an after action report so you can piece together a metaplot based on what they did and didn't do. Perhaps it's needed to get paid, and you van reward thenplayer who writes it with a benny on their next game.

For example maybe the first few adventures are against undead, so the end of the arc is taking down the group responsible for sending them out there.

Consider a pool of extra's that can be taken along to cover any missing roles, make them using the same rules as PC's and keep them levelled up so if anyone dies they could take on one of the existing NPC's instead.

Don't worry too much if someone ends up an advance or two behind, even a Novice character can roll well and be good at one or two things
Rerun941
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would highly recommend Savage Suzerain as the setting actually addresses these kind of issues directly. (Swapping out characters, missing players, etc.)

And, you can basically maintain continuity and share characters between mini-campaigns. Get tired of your fantasy setting? No problem! Jump everyone over to a Wild West setting.

http://www.rpgnow.com/product/69046/Savage-Suzerain-Savage-Worlds
herrozerro
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The One wrote:
I've run similar, an episodic game where each adventure is about 3 to 4 hours long. It helps to have the players fill out an after action report so you can piece together a metaplot based on what they did and didn't do. Perhaps it's needed to get paid, and you van reward thenplayer who writes it with a benny on their next game.

For example maybe the first few adventures are against undead, so the end of the arc is taking down the group responsible for sending them out there.

Consider a pool of extra's that can be taken along to cover any missing roles, make them using the same rules as PC's and keep them levelled up so if anyone dies they could take on one of the existing NPC's instead.

Don't worry too much if someone ends up an advance or two behind, even a Novice character can roll well and be good at one or two things

Actually thats why I am going with savage worlds, in my normal game it's not unusual for my wife and maybe another player to be an advance behind due to just not getting around to it.

It works much better than a level based game like D&D for XP disparity.
robertnownes
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:44 am    Post subject: agents of oblivion Reply with quote

Agents of Oblivion, great game setting for modern action and linking together one shots, and player characters from all walks of life and places in the world.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: