Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recommend four SW books to buy.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blogotron
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:30 pm    Post subject: Recommend four SW books to buy. Reply with quote

Beyond the Core book what four books would to recommend I purchase as a a gift to myself? I do have some books but I am wondering what a cold recommendation might garner me.
MatthewJHanson
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you want to do with it?

If unsure, the companions are always a good choice.
Snate56
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that's pretty much it. The core book and the companions (or toolkits for those not companionized yet!) will allow you to play anything your depraved mind can come up with!

SteveN
fanchergw
Heroic

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you already have the companions, or would rather just go with published settings, here is my list for the first 4:
50 Fathoms
Deadlands RL or Deadlands Noir or Hell On Earth RL
Interface Zero or Last Parsec
Weird Wars Rome or HellFrost or Land of Fire

That should give good breadth and show off the many strengths of the system, while allowing you to customize the list to your and your players' tastes.

Gordon
farik
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After the core book my top 4 recommendations would be

50 Fathoms
Sci Fi Companion
Horror Companion
Fantasy Companion

in that order. 50 Fathoms is the best combination of sandbox and plot point adventures I've encountered in the last 20+ years of playing and running games.

The other 3 companions allow you to run a wide gambit of different types of games or convert existing campaigns from other systems to savage worlds.
drone4416
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go with:

50 Fathoms
Sci Fi Companion
Horror Companion
Supers Companion (2nd edition)
sablemage
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:34 am    Post subject: Re: Recommend four SW books to buy. Reply with quote

Blogotron wrote:
Beyond the Core book what four books would to recommend I purchase as a a gift to myself? I do have some books but I am wondering what a cold recommendation might garner me.

SW is a very broad church.

Do you have a particular genre in mind, or do you want to be guided by our (subjective) views of what the best books are?

Do you want a setting and adventures you can use off the shelf, or a toolkit to build your own?
Blogotron
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Recommend four SW books to buy. Reply with quote

sablemage wrote:
Blogotron wrote:

SW is a very broad church.

Do you have a particular genre in mind, or do you want to be guided by our (subjective) views of what the best books are?

Do you want a setting and adventures you can use off the shelf, or a toolkit to build your own?

Subjective views, please! I have been playing SW for a few years but have not bought anything new in over 2 years (besides the new core) and I have many gaps, regardless of what books I own.

So far the suggestions have been pretty uniform in that the Companions are a must-have and that 50 fathoms is well done. I have not seen but one post that suggests non-Pinnacle products. I wonder why that is?
Snate56
Legendary

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah! We were looking at it from the standpoint of what you would want right out of the gate!

You want to know what we think are the very best slices of Savage Worlds, then?
Well, it would help if we knew what you already had, and do you want stuff that we're looking forward to, or stuff that we own and have experience with?

SteveN
Wibbs
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

War of the Dead is brilliant if you're into the zombie genre, but the length of the campaign requires a significant time investment from the GM and players. Hard copy it comes in four separate chapters.

Deadlands is fantastic if you like a bit of old west mixed with horror, magic and steampunk. If you wanted something you could run as a plot point you'd need the Marshal's Handbook, Player's Guide and either The Flood or Last Sons.

Interface Zero is a superb cyberpunk setting, and my favourite futuristic one.

Hellfrost is my favourite setting overall, with the published material containing a rich, detailed fantasy setting that's just sufficiently different to make it stand out from the crowd. There are 3 core books - gazetteer, bestiary and player guide.
Blogotron
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want stuff I could buy now. I think that if I listed what I had it would color recommendations

But if you think it would not change your top 4 must haves:

*****SPOILER ALERT*******

Realms of Cthulhu, Day After Ragnarok, Necrop0lis XXXX, Fantasy Companion, Hellfrost, Winterweir, Necessary evil ( Explorers) Runepunk, Low Life, Mars, Rippers, Ravaged Earth and Darwin's World.
Wibbs
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then I would change my Hellfrost recommendation to 50 Fathoms.
UmbraLux
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest taking a good look at Nova Praxis or Last Parsec, both of which make use of the SciFi Companion. I also recommend Wiggy's "Perilous Places and Serious Situations". Runepunk is another excellent setting, it gives you lots of conflict in a range from adventure to conspiracy or even outright war. You have Hellfrost so Shaintar may be worth a look. I also like Deadlands Noir.

Whatever you choose, enjoy!
Virgobrown72
Heroic

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sci Fi Companion
Fantasy Companion
Horror Companion
Supers Companion

(Honorable mention to the Pulp Toolkit!!!

Wink Wink Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: