Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SW Fantasy Adventures/Campaigns

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeremy6801
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:19 pm    Post subject: SW Fantasy Adventures/Campaigns Reply with quote

I would like to run some adventures using the SW system in a fantasy setting for my son (7 years old) and wife. I'm looking for something with a D&D like feel. Primarily, I'm looking for a pre-written adventures or a campaign book. Does anyone have any recommendations for products that will support this goal?

Thanks!

Jeremy
Zadmar
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaintar is probably the closest to D&D style high fantasy, with a detailed setting, but it doesn't include an adventure. You can get the player's guide here for free.

Evernight is a simple setting with a full adventure, but it's really too dark. Hellfrost is a really good setting, if you don't mind a "frozen north" theme. Sundered Skies is also worth looking at, although once again it might be a bit dark with the glowmadness.

You could also check out some of the fan-made D&D conversions, like Kristian Serrano's Savage Eberron, or my Savage War of the Burning Sky.
jeremy6801
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much! I'm definitely going to look into these.
ogbendog
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beasts and Barbarians is more a sword and sorcery Conan type game; there are quite a few adventures for it.

Fifty Fathoms is like a cross between DnD and a swashbuckling pirate game, you have non-human races, magic openly existing etc., but the action is on ships

http://www.rpgnow.com/product/119241/Kaisers-Gate-Field-Manual-Mounts
Jonah Hex
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zadmar wrote:

Evernight is a simple setting with a full adventure, but it's really too dark.

Ha. Dark. I see what you did there.
amerigoV
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hellfrost from Triple Ace Games.
Zadmar
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonah Hex wrote:
Zadmar wrote:

Evernight is a simple setting with a full adventure, but it's really too dark.

Ha. Dark. I see what you did there.

No pun intended! Evernight is dark fantasy, with some pretty strong horror elements, and isn't the sort of thing I'd run for a 7 year old.
evil homer
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be easy to grab something old, even Keep on the Borderlands, and just use the SW stats. Many of the monsters are already statted in SW and if they aren't you can always re-skin something similar.
sablemage
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

evil homer wrote:
It might be easy to grab something old, even Keep on the Borderlands, and just use the SW stats. Many of the monsters are already statted in SW and if they aren't you can always re-skin something similar.

It's definitely possible to reskin old adventures, I've done it quite a bit. One of the great strengths of SW for me is the ability to do this on the fly.

You might also consider Reality Blurs' Old School Fantasy line, which is aimed at this kind of game.

+1 for Shaintar (for D&D style high fantasy) and +1 for Beasts & Barbarians (for swords and sorcery Conan-style). Shaintar is closer to the style you want, I think, but B&B has more adventures.
jeremy6801
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the great ideas! It's been fun looking through all of them. I might get myself in trouble using some of them for other things.

I think I'm going to give the Old School Fantasy adventures a try. It appears to have a simplified classic D&D style that I was looking for that would provide a good straightfoward experience for my son.
Sadric
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some more adventure?

Noble Deceit. I really like the moment when the players understand the whole masterplan of the big bad boss at the end of part 2. Twisted Evil
Not sure if a seven years old boy could realize what happened, and that the Charakters are only tools of the boss.

Jubjub lake. Its free, its fun and cool. I played it with my son as he was 9 years old.
There are bad dwarves, I simply change them to goblins to use a evil race.
There was a lone guard and it would be wise to snipe him. I thinked to changed this scene so he didnt have to murder the guard, but one of the characters was a mage with the stun-power. Smile

Against the orcs. Maybe the mass battle scene is overwhelming for one player.
kronovan
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another possibility is Green Ronin's Savage Worlds edition of their Freeport Companion. It's not the best edition of that companion, but it does include most of the races (Dwarves, Elves, Half-Elves, Half-Orcs, Halflings, Gnomes, Goblins and a setting specific Azhar) you'd find in a D&D settings and it's inexpensive. It also provides 4 new professional edges, but the Alchemist and Musketeer are really the only 2 that are decent.

The included Fury in Freeport adventure is short (3-4 sessions), but very good. There's also a number of other adventures available for the other editions that would be fairly easy to adapt to SW. Most of the other adventures were written for D&D 3.x. I ran Fury in Freeport for a group that had a 10 year old in it and I don't recall anything that was more inappropriate than your typical D&D adventure. It's been a while since I've run it though, so if you were interested I'd dig out my USB stick and reread it just to be sure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: