Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which type of paper miniatures/figure flats would you prefer
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which type of paper miniatures/figure flats would you prefer to get from GWG?
The three-sided type currently provided
12%
 12%  [ 22 ]
12%
 12%  [ 22 ]
12%
 12%  [ 22 ]
12%
 12%  [ 22 ]
Two-sided types ala Cardboard Heroes that fold to provide their own stand
12%
 12%  [ 23 ]
12%
 12%  [ 23 ]
12%
 12%  [ 23 ]
12%
 12%  [ 23 ]
Total Votes : 180

outlawmoon
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:44 am    Post subject: Which type of paper miniatures/figure flats would you prefer Reply with quote

Anyone else prefer basic two-sided paper miniatures (ala Cardbaord heroes, SPARKS, or those made by Microtactix) that don't require plastic stands and don't burn even more ink than necessary when printed?

I've tried manually converting PEG/GWG's flats to that format, but always lose resolution, plus it's a lot of work. Why Shane likes the three-sided types, for games without persnickety rules for facing, is beyond me, unless he owns stock in an inkjet cartridge company...

The ideal would be two-sided, with an outline of the fig on the back rather than the full black silhouette, so we poor impoverished gamers out here don't use more ink than necessary.
screenmonkey
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't miss the ink, but i do miss the three sides when the light weight 2 siders keep falling over in the middle of combat. They're a unique design of PEG/GWG as far as i know, and i wouldn't have 'em any other way.
outlawmoon
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

screenmonkey wrote:
i don't miss the ink, but i do miss the three sides when the light weight 2 siders keep falling over in the middle of combat. They're a unique design of PEG/GWG as far as i know, and i wouldn't have 'em any other way.
That's a solid point, and I hadn't thought of it, mainly because I largely make my own two-siders and rarely have problems. But I can see that stability is definitely better with the three-siders.

How 'bout this...three siders with an outline silhouette, rather than a solid black one?

Tim
Under An Outlaw Moon:
http://www.livejournal.com/users/outlawmoon/
Savagery of Various Kinds
Mindseye
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my mileage, Kinko's costs about the same to print 20 pages of 2-siders as 20 pages of 3 siders. ymmv

da Wookiee
outlawmoon
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

da Wookiee wrote:
For my mileage, Kinko's costs about the same to print 20 pages of 2-siders as 20 pages of 3 siders. ymmv

da Wookiee
I'm thinking I'm not the only guy out here who has his own printer and has to buy his own ink.

Tim
Under An Outlaw Moon:
Redeucer
Heroic

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, the three siders stand up better than the two siders. Tri-fold them, tape or glue the flap underneath, and now you have a traingle base that is inherently more stable than what the two-siders provide.

Second, the ink isn't all that expensive. It is cheaper to print them on a color printer at home from cardstock you but at Office Depot or wherever than it is to print them at Kinkos. Yes the cost of pages at Kinkos is the same whether 2 or 3 sided figures, but it still isn't that much more expensive to do it at home on your own printer. I bought a ream of cardstock, printed all of the NE figure flats out, then made dozens of pages of my own and all on one cartridge with plenty left over. My only comment there is don't buy the cheap ink you see on line. It is inferior in print quality than the regular print cartriges.

As for resolution and converting, that shouldn't be a problem depending on what you are using. I use Adobe Photoshop and have no problems there (converting 2-sided to 3-sided). Take a look at my NE Story thread and you will see some of the figures that I made for the characters in our group. If you are using Photoshop and need help, drop me a pm. It's probably just a question of the resolution.

Redeucer
Darth Squirellious, Dark Rodent of the Sith!

"Mediocrity has never been so EPIC!"
- SlasherEpoch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Mindseye
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

outlawmoon wrote:
da Wookiee wrote:

da Wookiee
I'm thinking I'm not the only guy out here who has his own printer and has to buy his own ink.

This is true, but it looks better laser printed. I've printed them on my home computer, and they look fine. I just take the figure flats, the player's guide, any custom templates (resizing for Heroclix scale) I need on a cd and wander around kinkos (copymax, actually) and I get nice professional print stuff.

da Wookiee
DerFinsterling
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the fact that the three-siders are more stable, but the two siders are easier to carry around, since they're flat and don't take as much space.
Paraplegic_Racehorse
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer two-sides because a) they are flat and I can carry them around in an envelope and b) I can cut around the figure outline and have a really good looking figure instead of having to cut the silly bounding box and wind up with an ugly box. The figure outline cutting also allows for easier identification from a raised perspective (such as standing by the table, rather than sitting). Also, I use separate bases for the figures made from 5mm foam-core paper with slots cut into them. This adds only a small amount to the weight of the figure, but does add tremendously to its ability to stand on, for example, sloped surfaces like hills.
outlawmoon
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's close, but looking like a three-sided win...

Tim
Under An Outlaw Moon:
tenebrae
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two sided, definitely.

The plastic bases sold for Cardboard Heroes are cheap and work great. Flat, the standups are easier to store and carry.

I never thought of cutting out the shape on a two-sided, I'll have to try that.
db0
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know what I would prefer? Instead of the standard 3-sided with the shade on the back, a 3 sided with a blank on the back so that I can write up it's main stats like Parry, Toughness, Fighting, Damage and not have to look it up. As it is, the players rarely align the miniature according to its back (it's just too much hassle and the miniatures tend to get bumped around a lot due to their weight) and the extra side goes to waste.

2 sided miniatures using bases are only good if you can find appropriate bases (for example, I can't where I live) and then only if the bases are heavy enough so that they hold the mini down even if the standard group clutz moves the tabletop Rolling Eyes.

Metallic minis would be the best although since I tend to use paper clippers to signify wounds and shaken status they tend to clutter the table and they are not always fit for the description.
MadTinkerer
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

db0 wrote:
You know what I would prefer? Instead of the standard 3-sided with the shade on the back, a 3 sided with a blank on the back so that I can write up it's main stats like Parry, Toughness, Fighting, Damage and not have to look it up.

That, my freind, is a frickin brilliant idea. Cool Give yourself a pat on your back from me. Now, if there was just an easy way to implement it...

Check out Mad Tinkerer Dot Org!
PEGShane
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:07 am    Post subject: ER... Reply with quote

I use two-sided as well. You just cut the third (colored) side and label off. Then fold it and stick it in a base...

Says that right in the FFs where we talk about the bases we sell...

Question Shane
Alric
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

screenmonkey wrote:
They're a unique design of PEG/GWG as far as i know, and i wouldn't have 'em any other way.

TSR used the triangular design for the Marvel Super Heroes Supplement "Pit of the Viper". Good lord would I like to find a copy of that again. It had figures for almost every current (at the time) marvel hero and villain.
Mindseye
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alric wrote:
screenmonkey wrote:
They're a unique design of PEG/GWG as far as i know, and i wouldn't have 'em any other way.

TSR used the triangular design for the Marvel Super Heroes Supplement "Pit of the Viper". Good lord would I like to find a copy of that again. It had figures for almost every current (at the time) marvel hero and villain.

Ask ebay and ye shall recieve! Smile

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2548&item=5912521054&rd=1&ssPageName=WD1V

da Wookiee
jblittlefield
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer the type that are made out of "lead" (or whatever type of metal it is that they're using these days) ... you know, the ones you have to paint (god forbid)! Wink

But given the choices mentioned -- I'd take the 3-sided ones. Wink

Last edited by jblittlefield on Fri Jan 21, 2005 4:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Count Zero
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jblittlefield wrote:
I prefer the type that are made out of "lead" (or whatever type of metal it is that they're using these days) ... you know, the ones you have to paint (god forbid)! Wink

I can dig that. I'm a minis gamer as well so I appreciate me some lead! Wink

I use flats most of the time for roleplaying because my minis collection doesn't overlap enough with what I need for my rpg sessions. Plus I can write on them. Wink

That said, I prefer the 2d kind. I mount them on 1" sqaures of illustration board and the things are like Weebles. Wink
Valander
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jblittlefield wrote:

I'm with JB on this one. Since one of my favorite hobbies is painting, I definitely prefer lead. Plastic will do in a pinch (though not those godawful MageKnight/D&D minis... that plastic is teh suck).

Still, since I don't really want to start yet another collection of models, I kinda like the paper ones for NE, and I prefer the 3-fold variant there. Although I must admit I'm kinda taken with that idea of having a stat summary on the back instead of a black silhouette.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Alric
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also prefer metal miniatures over paper. Supers however are such an individual and unique lot that it is nearly impossible to find figures for them.

With Hero Machine or Poser you can easily make your own figure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: