Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tales PDF a great Idea
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Hey Pinnacle!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lordthrog
Heroic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fred the monkey wrote:
Doc Otto wrote:
How much does it typically cost to get a PDF printed and bound nicely at a Kinko's or Mailboxes Etc? Also, what's the quality on these jobs?

At the my local Kinko's (yours may vary), it would come out to something like this:
140 pages @ 7 cents per page = $9.80 (that's single-sided)
70 pages (double sided) @ 9 cents per = $6.30
Comb binding (one of the cheaper options) is $4 or $5.
Spiral binding, which is much more durable is a bit more, but I don't know how much exactly. Personally, I just take the pages home where I have a three hole punch and a bunch of binders.

There might be a fee for printing from disk, but I'm not sure about that.

If you want to get fancy, you can also get your covers laminated, which helps them last longer. You can also have them do this whole process (spiral binding and laminating) to any existing soft cover books you own. They cut the binding off and re-do the whole thing. Just the thing for your heavily used main books. I haven't done this, but I saw a whole bunch of books done this way at this year's GenCon.

That's a LOT better than what the Kinko's around here told me. They quoted $.50 a page to print. And that was when I had the Players Guide to print. No way was I gonna spend $50+ dollars for that. That's when I spent the afternoon printing at work.

"So, what weapon should I use? I'm very proficient with the Spork, but I also swing a mean sock of Legos." - Bucky Katt
ZekeZero
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing that it isn't going to be out today. Shane had to go away for the last half of the week unexpectedly. It will probably turn up next week sometime though.

-Zeke
nsolo
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZekeZero wrote:
I'm guessing that it isn't going to be out today. Shane had to go away for the last half of the week unexpectedly. It will probably turn up next week sometime though.

-Zeke
Thanks for the info!

Peter Hildreth
Truckee Games
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: When will "Privateer's Bounty" be available? Reply with quote

nsolo wrote:
And, along those lines. . . does anyone know if Privateer's Bounty will be available today?

Peter Hildreth

I don't know, but probably not. Shane was unavailable from Wednesday onward, probably until next Monday. He had...an issue to take care of...
Marc Hameleers
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing bad, i hope?
PEGShane
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 99-year old grandfather, Lacy Ellis Davis, who I am named after, died. No big secret. I was able to give the eulogy and that helped. Something we all have to go through. I was able to wait far longer than most, and I appreciate it.

As for PDFs, the cost of Savage Tales would have been $24.95 for 144 pages (softback). You'll definitely get a better buy in the PDF because you'll be able to pick and choose what you want. And yes, there will be enough information about the PDF available for you to decide if it's something you want.

JB is right that no one here should be buying stuff just to give me money (as kind as the sentiment may be). It's up to me to *earn* your money, which I hope I do. Thwaack is also right though that not every product will work for everyone. Those who really want to do me a favor can simply say "it's not for me" if something doesn't appeal to them rather than making long threads that might turn someone else off (your call, of course--as you know I don't edit the lists--though I reserve the right to do so if things ever get out of hand). JB's thread on "Disappointed in Evernight" is a good example, especially since the main complaint was that he'd already done something like that in his world so he felt it wasn't original. Again--your perogative--just stating what my preference would be. No need to argue or respond, I'm just telling you my *desires,* not demands, of course.

Of course if I ever *really* do anything wrong--or that is perceived as wrong--then I'll face the music.

Privateer's Bounty is all done and just waiting for a map from Niklas, who did some of the extra Evernight stuff you may have seen.

Thanks all,

Shane Hensley
Pinnacle
Marc Hameleers
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My condoleances. 99 years sure gave him time to live a full life. I hope he did.

Sadly, I never did have to bury a grandfather, both died before i was old enough to realize that i had one. I sure hope you and your grandfather got everything out of your time together you guys wanted!

Marc
palehorse
Heroic

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about your grandfather, Shane. Many condolences to you and yours.
nsolo
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<<JB is right that no one here should be buying stuff just to give me money (as kind as the sentiment may be). It's up to me to *earn* your money, which I hope I do. >>

Well, it depends on how you look at it. I have bought products even though I wouldn't play them because I wanted the company to succeed to produce products I would use. In this case, I didn't buy Evernight at GenCon (and should have, they had a nice package deal). Now that I have looked at the Players Guide PDF, I may end up buying EN for some of the other stuff, even though I probably won't run it.

I am not saying everyone should do this. But, it is good for the industry to have a number of viable companies that put out good products. Competition is good for the players. Imagine if all you had was one company making all RPGs!

<<Thwaack is also right though that not every product will work for everyone. Those who really want to do me a favor can simply say "it's not for me" if something doesn't appeal to them rather than making long threads that might turn someone else off (your call, of course--as you know I don't edit the lists--though I reserve the right to do so if things ever get out of hand). JB's thread on "Disappointed in Evernight" is a good example, especially since the main complaint was that he'd already done something like that in his world so he felt it wasn't original. Again--your perogative--just stating what my preference would be. No need to argue or respond, I'm just telling you my *desires,* not demands, of course.>>

Yeah, it does strike me as odd that a thread with that title is on the official forum. But, hey, that is what Shane is like.

Peter Hildreth

PS: Before people think I am insensitve, I sent codolences in a private email
Count Zero
Legendary

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its important to post the bad as well as the good here on the forums. Sure, its nice to hear how great your product is but it also helps Shane to know what his customers dislike about his products as well. It'll just make future products that much better. The nice thing about the folks 'round here is that they will actually give constructive criticisms and tell you exactly what it is they didn't like. Thats nice, especially considering things I've seen on other companys forums.
PEGShane
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 7:33 pm    Post subject: Constructive Criticism Reply with quote

Count Zero wrote:
I think its important to post the bad as well as the good here on the forums. Sure, its nice to hear how great your product is but it also helps Shane to know what his customers dislike about his products as well. It'll just make future products that much better. The nice thing about the folks 'round here is that they will actually give constructive criticisms and tell you exactly what it is they didn't like. Thats nice, especially considering things I've seen on other companys forums.

Amen. I'll never shy away from constructive criticism. Advice to make what I do better and better? For free? Sure!

And the important point is that it's constructive. In 8 years of doing this now we've had exactly two people start real and neverending flame wars. One apologized profusely after she was booted from the DL list. The other hates me forever, but I'll take those numbers.

And as long as it stays this way--*encouraging* rather than *discouraging*, I'll be around.

Shane
marshal kt
Legendary

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my deepest condolences shane to you and your family.
jblittlefield
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nsolo wrote:
Yeah, it does strike me as odd that a thread with that title is on the official forum. But, hey, that is what Shane is like.

Just for the record, Shane did ask me to tone down the criticism, but only because it was so subjective in its nature. After reviewing my posts I agreed with him and made a post that clearly stated that my position was based on my personal opinion and that the only problem I had with the EN product, other than subjective opinion, was that the binding was poorly done and the proofreading was atrocious - both of which, I'm sure, have been addressed for future releases.

If Shane wasn't so open to criticism and his customer service wasn't of the highest quality, I would have written this game off a long time ago as a flash in the pan system; however, he's consistently demonstrated his committment to the game and for that he has my utmost respect Wink
PEGShane
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Bill! Very kind of you.

You should attend MaceCon, by the way, since you're in Fayetteville. Give us a chance to meet face to face.

Shane
jblittlefield
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PEGShane wrote:
Thanks, Bill! Very kind of you.

You should attend MaceCon, by the way, since you're in Fayetteville. Give us a chance to meet face to face.

Shane

I'm planning on it Wink

Are you going to be there for the entire event or is there a specific day I should look for you?
PEGShane
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be there for the entire event. Looking forward to it!

Shane
jblittlefield
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PEGShane wrote:
I'll be there for the entire event. Looking forward to it!

Shane

I'll be the grumpy old guy wandering around saying he's seen it all before Wink
nsolo
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 3:04 pm    Post subject: ETA for Privateer's Bounty Reply with quote

So, anyone have any idea when Privateer's Bounty will hit RPGNow.com?

Peter Hildreth
PEGShane
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any hour now, Peter.

Shane
jyates
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paid for mine ... just waiting on email to deliver it!
"...if you can accept Zombies made from turnips..." -- The Loremaster. TURNIPS???
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Hey Pinnacle! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: