Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teller, how do you play member of the Fellowship of MIRV?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony
View previous topic :: View next topic  

To keep the thread around
Nuke 'em till they glow!
37%
 37%  [ 3 ]
The Glow until we're nuked!
62%
 62%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 8

Elijah Pact
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 8:18 pm    Post subject: Teller, how do you play member of the Fellowship of MIRV? Reply with quote

I just bought City o' Sin, and I was wondering how you would go about making characters that are members of the Fellowship, are they considered Blessed, or Doomsayers or Doomsayers with the Protection miracle? What edges and hindrances would be needed to model them. Are they meant to be non-player characters only? What's up with them?

If we were to take the Blessed option, what would be an agreeable Sinnin' Chart?

Major: Killing someone, anything else?
Minor:?

Thoughts anyone? Teller could you perhaps drop your two cents in? I really like the book. I think its a great improvement for mutant kind everywhere.
Psykoguy
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you could put this in Hey Shane
DannyboyO1
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the impression they were just mildly deluded folks. A red herring.
Elijah Pact
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they're one of the cooler groups, I'd really like to play a member of the Fellowship of MIRV or a Junkyard Gonzer. They both seem like they'd be fun to roleplay.
Teller
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, they were a red herring. A group of deluded folks based off a classic movie that I was paying homage to. But, it's your campaign, so do them up however you want. I personally would shy away from introducing them as Blessed, having never allowed them in my campaigns.
Elijah Pact
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, I think it would be really cool to play one. Hmm, I'll submit to your advice and not make them blessed.

Officially, does anyone know if Faith in a non-Glow source still provide the Protection miracle? I usually let it out of habit, but thats another story.

I think I'd work out the MIRV member as either another variation of the Doomsayer Arcane background, but include somekind of Sinnin mechanic like traditional blessed, that would rob them of their powers if they act in a violent beligerent manner, un-becoming a member of the Church.

What do you guys think of that? I'd closely model the Sinnin chart on the Buddist and Christian strictures found in Fire&Brimstone to try to capture the feel of their beliefs. Suggestions would be cool, since I didn't take the book with me when I moved, its still at my parents.

As for Gonzers (Iron Oasis), Oath of Silence 2 point hindrance (since mute is a 3 point hinderance), 2 (or more) points of Cyberbelongins to buy the datajack, and radio. I think would about cover it.
DannyboyO1
Heroic

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody mind if I feel really smug about having an accurate guess?
Teller
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a copy of City O' Sin anymore (believe it or not), but in looking at my manuscript (which I still have) the following:
"The Fellowship welcomes both normals and mutants into their fold, and regards the inert ghost rock bomb lying in the rotunda of the Capitol building as an earthly incarnation of their God, a literal fallen angel. So great is their faith that some of the flock have exhibited supernatural powers. "

was a allusion to the fact that constant exposure to the radiation from the bomb was causing them to mutate and become Doomies.

Actually, the original manuscript mentioned that if you wanted to have people with Blessed powers, this was a good place to place them (it was in the Marshal's section, but as I said, not having the book I don't remember what made the cut).

"The faith of some followers, coupled with the teachings of the Deacon and low-level ghost-rock radiation exposure to the inert bomb have combined to allow some MIRVers to exhibit powers of faith not seen since before the coming of the Reckoners."

Hope that helps.

Actually, there was goong to be an AB for the Fellowship. If there's any interest, I can post what I have, although it's incomplete.
Mort
Heroic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Consider us interested
Psykoguy
Heroic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teller: Don't worry about asking, we're always interested
Teller
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, here's what was originally in the manuscript before it got cut.
Please note: despite my status as the CoS writer, the following is an UNOFFICAL ADDENDUM TO HoE, and is not endorsed by PEG/GWG:

Chapter Three:
God’s Mortal Shell

Before the world went to Hell, people looked for reassurance wherever they could find it. Some turned to drugs, alcohol, or the Internet. Others joined cults that promised earthly power in exchange fore something as insignificant as the supplicants’ souls. Others turned to more traditional religions as a way to find answers, supporting both conventional churches and outlandish televangelists.
With the coming of the Reckoners, practitioners of the traditional religions became few and far between. Many were killed when the bombs fell, or in the ensuing years of death and destruction when the law of the jungle became the law of the land. Many turned away from religion when they realized that the Apocalypse had come to pass. Today in the Wasted West the traditional blessed are few and far between.
This option allows you to create a posse member who is a mix of Blessed and Doomie, but requires the possession of the Weird West supplement Fire & Brimstone. Sorry about that, but we don’t have the room in this book to reproduce all the special rules and miracles, and don’t want to shortchange our fans who already have that particular product with a passel of repeated material. As usual, check with your Marshal before creating one of these characters to be sure she allows them in her campaign. If she gives you the go-ahead, read on to find the particulars of the Deacon’s religion.

Gimme that New-fangled Religion
The Fellowship of MIRV allows your characters a new way to fight back against the forces of the Reckoners in Hell on Earth. The Fellowship follows a strange blend of Western religion, Eastern philosophy, meditation, yoga, and Megan Holst’s own brand of New Age harmonics and radiation exposure. Those that take the time to master the intricacies of MIRV learn to bridge the gap between traditional religion and that espoused by Silas and Joan through the body of their Messiah that lies in state in the rotunda of the Nevada capital.

Playing a member of the Fellowship of MIRV
The easiest way to play a MIRVer is to start out as one. All you have to do is purchase the Arcane Background: Blessed Edge, specifying MIRVer as your religion during character creation. Then make sure that you have at least one level in Faith. Existing characters that want to join up have to follow the guidelines established in the Deadlands: Weird West supplement Fire & Brimstone. Those who dedicate their lives to spreading the word of the holy MIRV must spend at least a year in study and meditation under the tutelage of Deacon at the State Capital, so existing characters will have a tough time becoming a clergy member, although there is nothing to stop them from becoming a laymember of the Fellowship.

Walking the Walk
Under the leadership of the mysterious entity known as Deacon, the Fellowship of MIRV practices a conglomeration of New Age beliefs and Eastern philosophy. Much like Buddhism, MIRVers strive for internal perfection and personal enlightenment. MIRVers feel that the key to enlightenment lies within the individual, and it is only in exploring and mastering the inner self that this can be achieved. The Fellowship has a belief system similar to the teachings of Buddha, and center their belief around four truths and the steps of the eight-fold path.
The Four Truths:
1. Life is suffering
2. The cause of suffering is vanity
3. Vanity stems from earthly possessions and desires
4. The human mind can achieve holiness and become a conduit of a higher power.

The Steps of the Eight-fold Path:
1. Understand the Four Truths
2. Positive thoughts about people and life
3. Avoid unkind speech, gossip, and lies, for they began the Last War
4. Act without violence or vanity, for they brought about the end of the old world
5. Live without harming others, for our numbers are too few
6. Work hard and use time wisely
7. Learn to concentrate and master the mysteries of the MIRV
8. Be at peace with yourself.

MIRVers feel Judgment Day heralded in a time of testing for the faithful, referred to as The Trials, in which the trappings of the old world would be burned away in the cleansing flames of nuclear fire. The Reckoners are seen as an aberration in the MIRV’s plan, an evil which must be eliminated before the new world can come about. By following the Eight-fold Path, adherents can bring about the end of the Trials and achieve enlightenment and bliss in the new world.

Feeling the Burn
Radiation factors into this belief structure in a way similar to that practiced by the followers of Joan and Silas. Radiation is a manifestation of Divine Will on earth, and is treated as such –something to be handled with reverence and respect. Borrowing from the example of Christianity, the Fellowship reveres the warhead in the State Capital as an earthly representation of their higher power. Much like Christ’s presence on Earth brought insight and understanding to the Apostles, so has the MIRV opened the minds of the Fellowship to the truth. The Deacon has taught that the failure of the bomb to explode is even more proof of the benign aspect of ghost rock radiation. In this tenet, the Fellowship is similar to the Cult of Doom. Different from Doomsayers, however, is the belief that the “normal” or unchanged human is doomed. Instead, MIRVers do not see a distinction between mutant and human – both are equal and walk the same path of mastering the self to achieve personal enlightenment and end the Time of Trials. To this end, the Fellowship of MIRV is opposed to the practices of Silas’ Cult of Doom, and actively courts the Schismatic movement when possible. MIRVers do not feel that it is necessary to expose oneself to radiation to worship the divinity of it. They realize that not everyone is called upon to experience the power of the Divine first hand, and that to suffer its attentions can be a terrible thing if one hasn’t developed the strength of belief.
The Glow is viewed as a trial of one’s soul and faith. Believers who are baptized (whether by choice or accident) in its radiance are changed by the experience based upon the strength of their faith and inner self. It is simply a step on the individual road to understanding the self and one’s relationship with the universe (and again, a road upon which not all believers are expected to travel). All clergy of the Fellowship are baptized by exposure to the MIRV throughout their year-long apprenticeship.

Talking the Talk
The Fellowship is currently a small organization with but one temple – the Capitol building in Carson City. Under the guidance of Deacon, radiation safety precautions have been erected around the MIRV at the temple’s center so that norm and mutant alike can contemplate without accidental exposure to the Glow.
Members of the Fellowship feel that in mastering the self, one can best help others realize the potential in themselves. To this end MIRVers are definitely practitioners of what they preach. Part of strengthening the self is through helping others realize their own potential. The Fellowship is very much a service-based organization and missionary movement, with members wandering the Wastes helping those that don’t believe they can help themselves. They preach a message of brotherhood between mutant and norm, and teach a respect and reverence for the Divine mystery that is God represented by the Glow incarnate.

MIRVer Holy Days
The Fellowship of MIRV has only one real holy day: September 23. This marks not only “Judgment Day” of course, but the birth of the movement. Referred to as Epiphany, the day is one of contemplation and somber self-reflection for believers rather than one of feast or celebration.

MIRVer Strictures
Followers of Deacon have a set of moral guidelines that combines those of Buddhism with some revealed to Megan Holst.

SINNIN’
Minor: Sleeping in pre-War beds, wearing pre-War clothing or jewelry, using firearms, ignoring standard safety precautions around radiation.
Major: Singing, dancing, drunkenness, eating processed (pre-War) foods, accepting wealth, refusing aid to those in need, causing the mutation of an innocent through the use of radiation
Mortal: Lying, killing humans, causing the death of an innocent through the use of radiation

Edges and Hindrances
The Hindrances and Edges presented in Fire & Brimstone are appropriate for the Fellowship of MIRV, except for Religious Rank. None of the Edges or Hindrances from Children o’ the Atom can be taken, with the exception of mutant or super mutant.

MIRVer Miracles and Gifts
MIRVers have access to a variety of abilities that mimic both the powers of the Cult of Doom and traditional blessed miracles. The use of the MIRVer’s meridians to channel power means that the clergy of the Fellowship expend Strain to power their miracles. Your hero’s Strain is equal to her Vigor die type plus her level in faith. MIRVer's Strain is regained at the rate of 1 per hour spent in meditation over a source of the Glow. This meditation must be motionless and uninterrupted, as the follower turns their thoughts inward and focuses on the divine power as it flows through their meridians.
The following miracles are available to Followers of MIRV. The number listed in parentheses after the miracle is the Strain required to perform the miracle. If no number appears, it is a power from Children o’ the Atom and as such already has Strain assigned.

Aegis
Armor o’ Righteousness (1)
Babble On (1)
Benediction (2)
Bless Crops (1)
Calm (1)
Cloak (2)
Confession (1)
Control Rod
Devil’s Plaything (2)
Dispel (equal to caster's spell)
Empathy (2)
Endure (1)
Enigma (1)
EMP
Expose (1)
Falter (1)
Feast (1)
Fusion
Geiger Vision
The Glow
Grace (1)
Greenthumb
Guide (1)
HazMat Barrier
Hinder (1)
Holy Roller (1)
Holy Vestments (1)
Illuminate (1)
Inspiration (1)
Intercession (2)
Interpret Vision (1)
Last Rites (1)
Lay on Hands (1/level of wound)
Lion’s Den (1)
Martyrdom (1)
Mediate (2)
Mighty Fortress (2)
Molecular Bonding
Panacea (1-4, depending on disease)
Parley (2)
Protection (2)
Purify (but not Putrefy)
Reassurance (1)
Sacrifice (1)
Safekeepin' (2)
Solace (1 per point of Hindrance)
Solomon's Advice (2)
Soothe (1)
Succor (1)
Temperance (1+1 per Hindrance removed)
Test of Faith (3)
Tolerance
Unfetter (1)
Weatherman
Wellspring (1)
Word o' Honor (1)
Mort
Heroic

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting
DannyboyO1
Heroic

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody else think this thread should be archived?
Psykoguy
Heroic

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's got my vote
Mort
Heroic

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

& mine
The One
Heroic

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very very interesting....considering I've just allowed a Veteran of the Weird West Buddihst Monk to come over it would be definately worth my while using that.

Thanks a lot!

P.S. And all this time I thought you were someone using the authors name! Very Happy
Elijah Pact
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, sir. I hope this gets archived too.
Reginald de Curry
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Ideas abound.
Teller
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The One wrote:
P.S. And all this time I thought you were someone using the authors name! Very Happy

Obviously you haven't been reading all my posts for Tour of Darkness.

Arrow
grifflik
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teller wrote:
OK, here's what was originally in the manuscript before it got cut.

Man, Teller...

I had totally forgotten about this.

Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: