Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[HoER] Cybernetics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MagusRogue
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:01 pm    Post subject: [HoER] Cybernetics Reply with quote

Hey, just got through my first game of Hell on Earth Reloaded, and have to say I LOVE it. However, it once again reminded me just how deadly Deadlands is. First session, and the pc goes down. Had to hand of god it to have another npc do a Healing unskilled check (rolled an 11!!!) to keep him from dying. I went a bit easy on them on the first game since they're new to the setting and rules; next time isn't gonna be as easy!

Anyhow, to the point, he now has a permanent injury in the form of a missing eye. He was wanting to know if its possible to get a cybernetic replacement in HoE:R. If I remember right from classic, cyborgs actually were suppose to be part harrowed or something, right? So is it possible for regulars to get cybernetics? Or is our tale-teller stuck with a patch for the rest of his life (or until his templar buddy learns greater healing)?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There have always been two kinds of cybernetics in Hell On Earth - scrappers and true cyborgs.

Scrappers are people with replacement parts (see Iron Oasis for the Classic rules). Powered prosthetic limbs and parts of various kinds were available for the disabled and funded (eyes, arms, legs, etc.). Some healthy folks, especially those engaged in bloodsports, would get parts replaced as "upgrades". Prosthetic parts are expensive, require maintenance, and are exceedingly rare almost 20 years after the boom.
The current reloaded advice is to use the Smith & Robards 1880 catalog rules (see the Marshal's section) for HOE:R scrappers. This would represent junker-made limbs or salvaged pre-war cybernetics.
Actual, fully functional and maintained pre-war cybernetics would provide the same functions but without as many reliability issues. The specifics are up to the Marshal.

True cyborgs are ... like Robocop. They died during the conversion, are a form of harrowed, and the manitou is being used as a power source for all their amazing mechanical bits. These ranged from minimal conversion cyborgs (basically a harrowed without dominion) to face-changing infiltrators (capable of impersonating all kinds of people) to the walking-tanks known as drones (immune to most personal weapons). You can find all the details in the Classic book Cyborgs.
The HOE:R rules for cyborgs are supposed to be in the forthcoming HOE Companion. I imagine that they'll resemble the Scrapper rules in S&R1880, but with different drawbacks; however, that's pure speculation.

TL:DR - He can get a mechanical eye in Junkyard, but he's safer waiting for Greater Healing.
MagusRogue
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahh, i remember that book. sweet, so i get to make our tale-teller a Scrapper! he's gonna love the Spirit loss.... ah well, he's got plenty of advances ahead of him.

As an aside, does HoE:R mention bionics? The thread seems to mention that the book itself references Smith & Robards 1880s, but i don't remember that part of the book. Whats the availability of bionics? hows the rolls required to find a body doc? Still gotta go to Salt Lake City to get it done? And, because he's asked, I highly doubt it but he has a connection with the Librarians, would they be any help becoming a scrapper?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MagusRogue wrote:
The thread seems to mention that the book itself references Smith & Robards 1880s, but i don't remember that part of the book.

Marshal's section, starting around page 119 (Steam Augmentations). The fluff has changed in the last two centuries, but not a whole lot. As Clint says, no one is making the super-high-tech parts that were available twenty years ago.
MagusRogue
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome, that works!

One thing I noticed, though... It seems that you loose 1 die of spirit for every replacement, but according to S&R its a one time thing, and also doesn't mention a charisma penalty for being a scrapper. Should we go with HoER or S&W if we have the latter book for rules?
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MagusRogue wrote:
One thing I noticed, though... It seems that you loose 1 die of spirit for every replacement, but according to S&R its a one time thing, and also doesn't mention a charisma penalty for being a scrapper. Should we go with HoER or S&W if we have the latter book for rules?

If the character is getting anything other than the listed non-enhanced replacements in the HOER book, then use the rules from S&R.

The Spirit loss in HOER is actually better than the effects in S&R because the cost to increase Spirit isn't changed, not to mention no Charisma penalty (since the replacements don't look anywhere near as intimidating as the "enhanced" versions).

www.peginc.com
MagusRogue
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Works for me. One very last question. How much would they charge to get a replacement eyeball?
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MagusRogue wrote:
Works for me. One very last question. How much would they charge to get a replacement eyeball?

Anything more complex than a "simple" limb replacement was specifically not in the book because they would be almost impossible to find, pretty much an adventure in their own right.

Finding someone who can implant a replacement eye, requiring some level of direct neural connection (i.e. a brain surgeon), and also has a pre-war eye that would work for the recipient would be a challenge in itself.

There's no way to set a flat price on something like that, just that "cheap" certainly isn't one of the choices. Wink

www.peginc.com
MagusRogue
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aha... so it might be easier to just go scrapper. We'll see. Thanks for the advice Clint and Valhalla!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: