Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Source material for "French and Indian War" settin

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dylan S
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:07 pm    Post subject: Source material for "French and Indian War" settin Reply with quote

Hi everyone,
I've had the idea for some time to create a campaign focusing on northern Ontario and Quebec during the French and Indian War (that is, the North American theater of the Seven Years War). I'm not going to actually construct a military story - the players won't be working as soldiers - but I would like to use that time period as the backdrop. Think of fur trades, snowy forts, canoe trips, landed immigrants, First Nations settlements, trans-Atlantic voyages, and constant strife between hostile colonial countries and their supported companies.

So, I was wondering if anyone could recommend books, movies, paintings, maps, music, anything at all to get my players and myself familiar with the time period. Note that I'm not looking for Savage Worlds conversion advice (in fact, I suspect that there's no need for any conversion), but rather advice on getting into the history and the spirit of the setting. For instance, could someone recommend a novelist who deals with that period as deftly as Bernard Cornwell and Patrick O'Brian dealt with the Napoleonic wars?

I know there are some very well-read and historically-minded folks on this forum. Thanks in advance.

Edit: Please do feel free to offer any ideas for cool edges, hindrances, or gear that you think fit with the setting if you want to. I'm all ears!
newForumNewName
Heroic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing close that comes to mind is Last of the Mohicans as far as movies.

"While nFNN could be less of a jerk about how he says what he says, what he says is essentially correct." -- ValhallaGH
Connallmac
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also recommend Brotherhood of the Wolf, though it's set in France after the war the main character is a veteran of the Seven Years War in North America, as is his companion a Native American.

As to books I would look to James Fennimore Cooper, which you can download for free since he's long been in the public domain. You might also try Joseph Altsheler, who apparently wrote six book series that is set in the time period you're looking for. You can download the first book, The Hunters of the Hills, as well as the other books in the series for free here: http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50708
Inferno!
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may find Colonial Gothic: New France useful. If has maps of cities and forts, digest information about the French colonies, history as well as native tribes of the area.
Averjoe
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no suggestions, but I wanted to say that you are a lucky man if you actually have players who want to play this. Every time I mention doing a historical game of any type my players eyes glaze over. #1drooling3

*sigh* Some days it sucks to be the GM.

Averjoe
Dylan S
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice, everyone.
Averjoe, I actually don't intend to ask them ahead of time. I'm planning to design a single-session (aiming for 3 to 4 hour) adventure within this setting, including characters, and then simply invite them over to play SW. If they enjoy the one-shot, I'll expand it into a campaign. If not, well, so much for that idea.
The Angle
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could check out Tim Truman's "Simon Girty" comics.

In films, also check "Unconquered" and "Northwest Passage."

Plus, there are National Geographic and PBS documentaries on Lewis & Clark, which are later but still pertinent if you're interested in wilderness adventures.

All of these are on Netflix.

Steve
Neal5x5
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read the book Savage Wilderness by Harold Coyle. He broke from his modern military work to write this title set during the French & Indian War/7 Years War. I thought his descriptions of the French side were particularly worthwhile.
RPGperik
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inferno! wrote:
You may find Colonial Gothic: New France useful. If has maps of cities and forts, digest information about the French colonies, history as well as native tribes of the area.

There's now also a sourcebook for the French & Indian War for Colonial Gothic: Colonial Gothic: The French & Indian War

What I was wondering: does anyone have SW write-ups for Colonial era weaponry? I am toying with the idea of using Solomon Kane for a colonial era game, using Colonial Gothic for setting information but I'd need some weaponry that's a bit more modern than the stuff in the Solomon Kane book.
Boldfist
Heroic

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to second the recommendation for James Fenimore Cooper. The Leatherstocking Tales are very good. His hero, Natty Bumppo, is a Wild Card if ever there was one. He is known as Hawkeye in the Last of the Mohicans story/movie. He was also a member of the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (if you are into comic books). Smile

I would also recommend the Patriot with Mel Gibson. It takes place during the Revolutionary War (15-20 years later than your time period) but the main character is a veteran of the French & Indian war. It's not very historically accurate but the movie is definitely action packed and visually appealing!
Kodyax
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can find it, the television series Hawkeye was set in the French and Indian War in America.
scourger
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition to The Patriot and Colonial Gothic: French & Indian War for general flavor, I will recommend Northwest Passage by Kenneth Roberts. It is a great read and will let you know about conditions in the war.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northwest_Passage_%28novel%29

http://www.amazon.com/Northwest-Passage-Kenneth-Roberts/dp/0892725427

Other internet research on Robert's Rangers would be helpful, too; as well as biographies of George Washington from that early time in his military career.
VonDan
Legendary

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since a spammer revived the thread

I would also say the first 2 or 3 of the leather stalking tales "The Dear Slayer" And "The Last of the Mohicans"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leatherstocking_Tales
supercOntra
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VonDan wrote:
Since a spammer revived the thread

I would also say the first 2 or 3 of the leather stalking tales "The Dear Slayer" And "The Last of the Mohicans"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leatherstocking_Tales

"The Dear Slayer" A tale of a cute girl with a big knife Wink
Putraack
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The journals of Robert Rogers of the Rangers" would be primary source material. Anything else you can find on Rogers and the Rangers could work for you. That's mostly military stuff, of course, but that's the backstory to most of Cooper's works.

I think there was an old Henry Fonda movie called Drums along the Mohawk, but I can't remember if it was actually any good. There was a PC "RPG" with that same title years ago, that I found charming for some reason-- both my wife and I wasted a long pre-children winter playing that.
VonDan
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Putraack wrote:

I think there was an old Henry Fonda movie called Drums along the Mohawk, but I can't remember if it was actually any good. There was a PC "RPG" with that same title years ago, that I found charming for some reason-- both my wife and I wasted a long pre-children winter playing that.

The PC RPG was called "Fields of Fire" in Europe and "War Along the Mohawk" in America. I have/had it from when Dynamix Software threw out there research library but never played it as the used disk were flawed.

I used to get PC gamer magazine and they had the Military History and War game expert do the review. I don't think he got the concept of a RPG he was saying the concept of a Plus 2 silver flintlock was Illogical it would wear out quicker than a steel one. I was charmed by the idea that the Indian scout class could pick a skill called "disappearing Beaver" (the ability to swim unseen and silent along the river and attack any one on the shore)
Lord Karick
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you thought about Orson Scott Card's "Alvin Maker" series?, they seem to be set at approximately the same time, plus there's a whole alternate history arcane background for the grabbing.
supercOntra
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reviving thread just to ask how your conversion is going
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: