Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Homebrew Arcane Background (Ninjutsu)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Volt875
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:50 pm    Post subject: Homebrew Arcane Background (Ninjutsu) Reply with quote

Hey all. So in my crazy fantasy game (what can I say ha ha my first timr running fantasy with SW I went all out. Ninjas, secret orders, sky pirates you name it) one of my players made a ninja character and my friend ans I got to talking about some of the stuff ninjas can do in animes so I thought about making a AB for ninjutsu.

Trouble is I can't think of a good backlash effect. My friend suggested a negative to parry as a sort of a "loss of focus" which I thought may be better done with a negative to the ninja's next action. My other idea was to make it so any boosting powers can only effect the ninja but my concern is that would hurt the team concept of the game.

So any thoughts on a good backlash idea for the failing ninja?
steelbrok
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be inclined to use the core AB:Supers rules with the proviso that the first power taken must be Boost Trait: Stealth.

Maybe give another edge (marsman? assassin?) and a hindrance (Wanted: Major?) too to round out the background
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've got access to Iron Dynasty, it has a lot of edges for anime-style ninja action. These include Ninja Strike, Shadow Arts, Shuriken Storm, Silent Kill, (Greater) Mark of the Yakuza, Ki Control and all the following edges, and Arrow Cutting.

If you're after an Arcane Background you'll need to throw out a reference. The AB for Jubei Kibagami is probably going to be very different from the AB for Naruto. The former seems very core rules AB (Superpowers) based while the latter is probably tapping into the Super Powers Companion.

Alternately, you can use Psionics as a basis. Change the arcane skill to either Ki Mastery (Spirit) or Shadow Mastery (Smarts), limit the power list some, and dictate that trappings are either mastery of personal ki / chi or manipulation of shadows (whichever better fits the ninja you're emulating).

Good luck!
Volt875
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was thinking more Jubei Kibagami.
Volt875
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steelbrok wrote:
I'd be inclined to use the core AB:Supers rules with the proviso that the first power taken must be Boost Trait: Stealth.

Maybe give another edge (marsman? assassin?) and a hindrance (Wanted: Major?) too to round out the background

This I like. Thanks Steelbrok.
Zadmar
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steelbrok wrote:

I agree with using Arcane Background (Super Powers), but wouldn't personally suggest requiring Boost Trait, and definitely wouldn't limit it to Stealth.

Arcane Background (Super Powers) only gets one power to start with, and it requires one skill for each power, so it's pretty expensive to get more - thus most ninjas will end up with the same power, at least early on. And if the only thing they can do is Boost Stealth (+1 die step, +2 on a raise) they might as well just increase their Stealth skill instead, or take the Thief Edge.

A lot of powers fit a mythical/supernatural ninja concept, either directly (Disguise, Invisibility, Smite, Speed, etc) or tweaked with trappings (Bolt representing a handful of shuriken, Burrow modified to let you vanish into the shadows instead of the earth, etc).

If you want the ninja to be super stealthy, I think it would be enough to make the AB require the Thief edge. If you want to focus on their combat skills, you could perhaps require the Assassin edge (either as well as Thief, or instead of it).

If you're adding both Thief and Assassin as requirements, you might want to consider giving them something extra as compensation. As you've mentioned making powers only work on themselves, one possibility might be to change the trappings on their powers in the same way as the Adept edge (except non-optional) - so a ninja can use some of their powers as a free action, but those powers don't work on others (note that although it would be a free action, they could still only activate one power each round).
steelbrok
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, AB:Supers (Core), Invisibility as first power is much better than Boost Stealth.
kronovan
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't say I'd go with any sort of AB for Ninjas even if I wanted them to be anime-like. I have ninjas in my Iron Dynasty campaign and they're pretty damn powerful much like they are in animes. The most I'd do is allow a Wild Talent edge (maybe call it Ninja Talent) that allowed them a single arcane power like invisibility or smite.
ogbendog
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want AB:ninjitsu to represent superior training, and you don't want to go with AB:Superpowers, I'd suggest something Blessed from Deadlands; they strain themselves and get a level of fatigue.

if you want it to be actual magic, that their abilities are supernatural, you can use any standard backlash
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volt875 wrote:
Was thinking more Jubei Kibagami.

At Novice, SPC. Jubei would have Super-Fighting, possibly with Deflection, Block, and some Super-Attributes. Shinkuro would have Infection 4 (always on, strong) with death in 1d6 hours, and Immunity (poison).

With experience, Core AB (Superpowers). Jubei probably has Deflection (sword blocks) and Healing (shrug it off), and might have Smite (powerful cut), Quickness (sword master reflexes), and Boost Trait (adrenaline surge). Shinkuro probably has Lower Trait (Vigor) with a poison trapping; the exact mechanics would have to be negotiated with the GM.
If the powers only work on themselves then I'd give them either two powers for free, or a free d4 in the arcane skill for each power.

As usual, Zadmar's input is quality stuff. Even when I think he's wrong Wink (he's not wrong this time).
Virgobrown72
Heroic

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I would think the Assasin professional Edge would kinda cover basic ninja stuff, but the extra cool ninja stuff sounds like AB:Magic to me. Basic ninja training(The professional edge), plus cool mystical abilities learned through cool esoteric means (AB: Magic). The Magic AB does have to lock you into the "Great Wizened Wizard" role. I think the Magic AB would work best pretty much as is with the assasin Pro Edge...

Just ma two cents an' whutnot!!! #gunbattle

Wink
Takeda
Heroic

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Virgobrown72 wrote:
Yeah, I would think the Assasin professional Edge would kinda cover basic ninja stuff, but the extra cool ninja stuff sounds like AB:Magic to me. Basic ninja training(The professional edge), plus cool mystical abilities learned through cool esoteric means (AB: Magic). The Magic AB does have to lock you into the "Great Wizened Wizard" role. I think the Magic AB would work best pretty much as is with the assasin Pro Edge...

Just ma two cents an' whutnot!!! #gunbattle

Wink

Seconded!l Very Happy
Sam: "Dude, you're not gonna poke her with a stick?"
Supernatural Quotes
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Virgobrown72 wrote:
Yeah, I would think the Assasin professional Edge would kinda cover basic ninja stuff,

Bah. Savage Worlds Ninja = Acrobat + Thief (+ Assassin, post Deluxe).

Magic Ninja are harder to nail down. Like Jedi, everyone has their own ideas about how stupidly awesome they actually are.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: