Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fanmade Works and CPNI

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Hey Pinnacle!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MagusRogue
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:44 pm    Post subject: Fanmade Works and CPNI Reply with quote

Hey I'm working on a savaged campaign setting that's literally all but done, just working on the magic chapter. Now, here's the tricky part, and one I wanna pass with you guys before I upload it and share it for usage and criticism: some (many) of the powers used in the setting are repurposed from either the core rules or other products (really just 50 Fathoms for the Storm and Zephyr powers). Others are mostly the same, just with some added trappings (namely repurposing Blast and Bolt). Also a weapon got repurposed, re-weighted a bit, and reused. Would I get the fifty flaming spears of death and agony for putting this up? I can see CPNI issues, but it makes it easier than just 'Go to XWY Product You May Not Have To Use An Essential Power To The Setting.'

Your two cents?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jpk
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using existing game mechanics from published works would require a license and permission from each publisher (if you're using materials from licensees, for instance).

To be covered under the Fan license, you'll need to stick to references to core mechanics with changes listed rather than including the full text. For example, "Flaming Glare of the Soul: As bolt, but requires unobstructed line of sight and can only harm living beings." would be fine and dandy. Actually including the bolt mechanics in your Flaming Glare of the Soul entry would not.

For the most part, if you've tinkered with a common weapon, you're fine to include the version for your setting. If you've tinkered with a weapon that's tied to a setting or is otherwise someone else's intellectual property (say, the named guns of the CSA and USA from Hell on Earth Reloaded), then you may be running into some trouble.

Does that clear things up?
MagusRogue
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That works for me, thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MagusRogue
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey guys once I'm done mind if i run it by you guys to see if its kosher before i post it?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Hey Pinnacle! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: