Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to do a 'pets' character

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rungok
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:04 pm    Post subject: How to do a 'pets' character Reply with quote

So my friend took the Wreck it Ralph movie and really liked the concept of characters from different video games having adventures in different game worlds. He is going to run a game where we each get to pick a genericized version of a particular style of console/arcade game character.

So I thought about it and decided I wanted to play a generic game boy/DS Pokemon game hero. Someone who collects/trains portable monsters/fighters that he throws out to do things. I was trying to figure out how to do this with savage worlds.

Either I can figure out how to have a character summon a 'pet' monster or I can just have very particular trappings for certain powers. The issue then is targeting. I'd like the monster to be able to take hits since in my character's world they do 'battle'.

Anyone have any suggestions for how to do this? I would be fine starting with one 'monster' at start and can get them as I increase in rank or something.
ogbendog
Legendary

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Summon Ally power?
rungok
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see that in my explorer's edition book.
ogbendog
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah, there you go.

it's in SWD, and (I assume) in Fantasy Companion.

You could probably take Zombie and apply different trappings. I'd suggest using the Skirmish rules to figure out the points on a zombie then build other critters of that point value.
tigerguy786
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rungok wrote:
I don't see that in my explorer's edition book.

I would highly suggest you get the Deluke Explorer's Edition as soon as you can, it's $10 in pdf or paper, and I'll bet there's a good deal if you get both at once.

Another alternative, which granted is a bit strange, might be to use Weird Science as a base. Just stick with me here...

Make the trappings of each power a creature (as you alluded to before), but change the duration of instant powers to the standard 3 rounds with an upkeep. And just assume that the creature does whichever power you have it connected to until it runs out of juice (it wouldn't use power points for the actual ability just power to keep it around). Since it's Weird Science based, each power has its own pool of points while you have your own that you can extend things with. It would need basic stats so you know it's toughness and it would be an extra, but it's something

EX:
You want a fiery dragon, and burst. You take the Burst power, but instead of a single cone template it summons/unleashes/whatever the creature who can use the equivalent of the Burst power until you change to something else or it runs of power points to maintain itself or it dies.

Does that all make sense? That's another thing: I might add that you can only have 1 active at any point.
VonDan
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Summon Ally and Summon Zombie lets you summon greater allies with each advance category but they are mostly human(oid).

Look at the Summon Ally and Summon Zombie list and figure out the point value and apply that to standard animals or an animals with a monster edge or power

I was thinking look to the summon familiar edge for animals for each character lever but they are permanent and thus mundane but to give you an idea maybe that animal with a monster edge as a temporary summon
rungok
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay.

I like the summon ally ability, but I also like the trappings for mad science option too... Hum. Neither is really a smooth analog for what I'm looking for.
VonDan
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a D&D game i fooled the DM into letting me play a Pokemon Trainer, I was a summoner and my PC was an artist and owned a paper and ink shop, so his spells focus was playing cards made with magic ink. I stated up creatures on 3x5 cards and doodled an image on them and the first time i cast I tossed down the card and said the summoned animals name and said "I choose you" No one had guest what I had set up and the whole gang groaned in dispare
rungok
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sir is a fantastic idea.

I like the trappings thing, with the limitation of only being able to have one power active at a time. The power points would be for the (3/1 round) duration of the power, regardless of the actual cost of the power. The pet would have it's own stats and the same pp pool as I would base to use the one 'power' that is what it's trapping is for. I dunno, tried to get a good mixture.
robert4818
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: How to do a 'pets' character Reply with quote

rungok wrote:
So my friend took the Wreck it Ralph movie and really liked the concept of characters from different video games having adventures in different game worlds. He is going to run a game where we each get to pick a genericized version of a particular style of console/arcade game character.

So I thought about it and decided I wanted to play a generic game boy/DS Pokemon game hero. Someone who collects/trains portable monsters/fighters that he throws out to do things. I was trying to figure out how to do this with savage worlds.

Either I can figure out how to have a character summon a 'pet' monster or I can just have very particular trappings for certain powers. The issue then is targeting. I'd like the monster to be able to take hits since in my character's world they do 'battle'.

Anyone have any suggestions for how to do this? I would be fine starting with one 'monster' at start and can get them as I increase in rank or something.

My thoughts, with GM permission.

Take AB Trainer and the controlling skill Direction.

The AB trainer comes with 3 powers, and 10pp. Those new powers are all linked to one creature, who is an extra.

You have two ways to gain powers. Capture a new creature (which gives you 2 new powers, and 10pp for that creature) or use New Power, which lets you add 1 power to any 1 creature.

You can have only 1 creature out at a time, and it takes an action and a skill roll to either bring out or take in a creature.

Edges like Rapid Recharge, can be taken, but apply to a single creature only.
tigerguy786
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: How to do a 'pets' character Reply with quote

robert4818 wrote:
rungok wrote:

My thoughts, with GM permission.

Take AB Trainer and the controlling skill Direction.

The AB trainer comes with 3 powers, and 10pp. Those new powers are all linked to one creature, who is an extra.

You have two ways to gain powers. Capture a new creature (which gives you 2 new powers, and 10pp for that creature) or use New Power, which lets you add 1 power to any 1 creature.

You can have only 1 creature out at a time, and it takes an action and a skill roll to either bring out or take in a creature.

Edges like Rapid Recharge, can be taken, but apply to a single creature only.

I agree with this except for the very last part. I'm not sure why it would have to only apply to a single creature. AB Weird Science applies things like that to everything after all.
Ornimancer
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think using the Shape Change power table as a guide for point cost in summoning could work well.
Virgobrown72
Heroic

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd done something like this, giving the character the Superpower AB, and the power being Summon Ally. I also requiered the Hindrance:Young. This worked out very well for my game. As they grew in rank<they could summon more powerful creatures. Also, I'd allowed for swapping melee attacks for the creatures with equivilant ranged attacks with trappings, butnot both (In order to simulate the various types of "Pocket Monsters"). Fat fun was had by all... Wink
Lysander
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would BeastMaster be appropriate here? Use the Spirit die as the number of Pokemon you have at your command?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSReSGe200A
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: