Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Encounter balance?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Official Answers on How the Core Rules Work
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grakarg
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:08 pm    Post subject: Encounter balance? Reply with quote

I'm new to Savage Worlds and am getting ready to GM my first campaign using it. I going to run an alternate-reality hopping campaign so I'd settled on using SW for its ease and flexibiility rather then using something else (d20, etc).

Here's my dilemma: How do I tell if an encounter is "balanced" or not for my party? Some initial combats will be with some agent-types, and I want to make them beatable but not a cakewalk. Do I start them at seasoned lvl? The rules say I should just give them whatever I want and not worry about it too much, but I don't want to make them too tough, or make thing too hard on myself.

Are there any resources/threads on encounter design/balance?
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Encounter balance? Reply with quote

Grakarg wrote:
I'm new to Savage Worlds and am getting ready to GM my first campaign using it. I going to run an alternate-reality hopping campaign so I'd settled on using SW for its ease and flexibiility rather then using something else (d20, etc).

Here's my dilemma: How do I tell if an encounter is "balanced" or not for my party? Some initial combats will be with some agent-types, and I want to make them beatable but not a cakewalk. Do I start them at seasoned lvl? The rules say I should just give them whatever I want and not worry about it too much, but I don't want to make them too tough, or make thing too hard on myself.

Are there any resources/threads on encounter design/balance?

Well, if you have Savage Worlds Deluxe there is a part in the GM section that discusses that factor, but in general, remember that as GM you control a large part of "encounter balance" during actual play by virtue of how many Bennies you hand out to the players.

There are a lot of variable factors that can affect "encounter balance" in play, but that's one you can directly control.

As to other threads discussing it, I can suggest a Search using the controls at the top of the page or just starting a new one in SW General Chat.

www.peginc.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Official Answers on How the Core Rules Work All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: