Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Character Sheet Tips

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
robert4818
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Character Sheet Tips Reply with quote

Decided I'd create a thread for thoughts and advice on character sheet creation. Feel free to post your general thoughts on character sheets.

Here are mine:

Avoid black blocks. Ink is expensive, and large areas tend to be easy to smear or take a while to dry. This includes white text on a black background. You can still use shades of gray for highlighting, but avoid solid black.

Ditch the "Edge" Block. Most edges come via advancement. As such, I would recommend ditching the Edge Block with just an advancement tracker. Add 3-4 lines at the top of the advancement tracker to track how you spend your hindrance points, but beyond that, simply use the advancement track to hold your edges. It serves a good double duty.
Virgobrown72
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some folks dig the Die shapes for skills and attributes, some don't. Just keep in mind, if you do use Die shapes, they will take up much more real estate than a blank line or box.

My character sheets have a section for derived stats that show the base stat, modified stat, and the average after mods. It makes calculating this stuff really fast. (For my purposes...)

Some folks like tracking Power Points on their character sheets. If so, you could do a stat block instead of individual markers if real estate is an issue.

Some people prefer skill sections without listed skills, and some people do. I like to have the skills listed so my players can spend points on skills without looking things up constantly. Some people prefer without. Your mileage may vary...

Make sure your fonts are clear and legible. I love fonts that are evocative of the setting, but remember, above all else, the character sheets are for your players, and not just you!!! Others have to be able to use them easily...

My two cents!!! Wink
Virgobrown72
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, in my honest opinion, I feel that the character sheet in the Deluxe Edition covers everything you need for any normal Savage Worlds game, so the question is, what is it that makes folks create their own character sheets? You have to consider what additional information you require on a character sheet, and how best to present it on a character sheet...
robert4818
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Virgobrown72 wrote:
Now, in my honest opinion, I feel that the character sheet in the Deluxe Edition covers everything you need for any normal Savage Worlds game, so the question is, what is it that makes folks create their own character sheets? You have to consider what additional information you require on a character sheet, and how best to present it on a character sheet...

Well, I like different sheets for different settings for a variety of reasons.

First, a character sheet can help Evoke setting. A James Bond game can help players get in the mood by looking like it was typed up on an old 60's style typewriter. My Agents of Oblivion sheet does this.

Second, different character sheets can help a bit on organization. Different looking sheets can help a busy (or disorganized) gm find characters for different games by glance, something the generic sheet can't do.
Virgobrown72
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
First, a character sheet can help Evoke setting.

Absolutely!!! I concur 200%

Quote:
Second, different character sheets can help a bit on organization. Different looking sheets can help a busy (or disorganized) gm find characters for different games by glance, something the generic sheet can't do.

I concur again!!! Although I'm a bit lazy, and will use the same sheet over and over again... Sad

Wink
SmokestackJones
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Virgobrown72 wrote:
Now, in my honest opinion, I feel that the character sheet in the Deluxe Edition covers everything you need for any normal Savage Worlds game, so the question is, what is it that makes folks create their own character sheets?

To me it boils down to B/W is cheaper to print than color.

Yes, I can print color character sheets in B/W but some of them look downright dingy and hard to read.

-SJ
Virgobrown72
Heroic

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

To me it boils down to B/W is cheaper to print than color.

Yes, I can print color character sheets in B/W but some of them look downright dingy and hard to read.

-SJ

I agree. When making character sheets, I try to check them in grayscale...
DragonDeadite
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm wondering if anyone cares about using an Excel character sheet.

I prefer to use an excel sheet so I can fill it, change it, adapt it to what I want it to be, and can do that much easier and cheaper than with Adobe. I've actually made a fairly plain and easy to read/print character sheet and am in the process of making it look a bit nicer. Here's an image of the first page of the character sheet I made for my character.

I'd like to post the character sheet somewhere for everyone to use if that would be possible.[/img]
velikch
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I like the excel sheet...a lot actually.

I use PDFill Editor which is free online (or has a free version?). It's easy to use but trying to use it to fill out a character sheet is pretty tedious since you have to create a new text box (sans borders for those worried) for every line. I put checkboxes with X's in them for the attribute and skill dice (to X off the die type when they're displayed).

I think the free version doesn't let you save your fillable character sheets, but if you buy it (or if the free version does allow this, I don't really recall) and you save your fillable sheets, then you have a permanent, awesome looking character sheet.

I've made PDFill sheets for Rippers using a font called Blackadder ITC font (taken from the TV sitcom Blackadder starring Rowan Atkinson) and for Weird War II and used a font called Boston Traffic. I tend to use these for one-shots, NPC's, or for when someone asks me to create a character for them - the character sheets come out looking GREAT, but because things are printed on to them it's rather difficult to make changes (i.e. losing dice from permanent injuries) - hence the reason I usually reserve them for one-shots.

I kept these saved on my computer for future use, but they took a good long while to setup all the fields and such. If you're looking to make your life easy while still wanting some awesome-looking character sheets for one-shots, this is DEFINITELY the way to go.

Worth MUCHO bonus points to people who have never played Savage Worlds before too! Wink
Other Mike
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Character Sheet Tips Reply with quote

robert4818 wrote:
Ditch the "Edge" Block. Most edges come via advancement. As such, I would recommend ditching the Edge Block with just an advancement tracker.

Of course, my personal preference would be ditching the Advancement Tracker and keeping the Edge block. Advancements can be Skills, Edges or Attributes. As such, I find (my opinion) that the attribute trackers do this very poorly. I hate sheets with those on them ... cause enough to create my own sheet for the setting.

Yes, it's a second sheet ... could be printed on the back of the normal character sheet ... but I created a tracker sheet just for tracking advancement, separate from the character sheet. It's sole purpose is to track advancement. It's a PDF form, but a spreadsheet would work just as well.

I also hate the space wasted by having the die types for attributes and skills. I prefer just a place to write d6, d8 or whatever.

I picked this up from Evil Mike and Chaos Steve, at Con on the Cob, but since then, I like a sheet that can be cut, folded in half, and fit into a 4x6 or 5x7 hard plastic postcard holder. That's all I use for Con games I run now.

But those are just my opinions. Wink
velikch
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually regarding the Edge Block, I like to have an Edge Block as my Advancement Tracker. I just notate the edges with the XP threshold at which that edge was acquired and put in the skill up's and such if the Edge Block is big enough, also with XP thresholds.
jasales
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use excel also and it has many advantages.

You can design a pretty nice sheet. It is small < 50K (not 50 megs like the official one). It can be uploaded to sites like Epic Words, Obsidian portal or easily emailed.

the players can use them over and over again.

Paperless for those with tablets.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: