Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[Slipstream] What does bonus size give you?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Official Settings & Companions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Elias4444
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:37 pm    Post subject: [Slipstream] What does bonus size give you? Reply with quote

Under the race generation rules, adding a +1 size is considered a 2 point edge. Just wondering why. Seems like it's more of a hindrance. Am I missing something? If you add +1 to size do you get some sort of bonus to something?

Edit:
I should add, under the "Beastiary" in the SW Core book, it talks about adding toughness. On the forums I've read that it also adds strength in some settings. Just wondering which (or if it's both) in Slipstream.
Darq666
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soooo many responses to this thread title that would get me banned, its just not fair....
Jordan Peacock
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I do believe that an increase in Size is accompanied by a bonus to Toughness, so +1 Size means +1 Toughness as well. I have not heard anything about there being any inherent increase in Strength or other Attributes, however, specifically tied to Size.

The trouble is that +1 Size and +1 Toughness have exactly the same cost in the alien / fantasy race construction sets. Therefore, if there's any benefit, it really needs to be offset by some sort of drawback.

For my own games, I've used Size as a factor for grappling, calculating how much space in a vehicle the character takes up, how much food the character requires from provisions, bonuses to Intimidation, how far a character is thrown by a magical "knockback" effect, and other situations, for "spot rulings." Sometimes it's a good thing to be large and in charge. Sometimes, not so much.

I'd make an argument for Size impacting carry capacity, but aside from the Brawny Edge, I really don't have any justification for it. (Nothing is said about the carrying capacity of a warhorse, and that might be pretty handy to know if someone gets the brilliant idea of stashing all his extra gear in saddlebags, or loading up his poor horse with heavy barding.)

So ... I am curious to see what sort of answer you get! Very Happy
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I would have occasional pros and cons of size, to make a +1 size person different than a +1 toughness person.

Size dude is taller/bigger, might be able to see over a crowd easier, climb up things a bit easier; reach high things etc. would also have some difficulty in cramped quarters. if you put in a lot of bad things, I'd offset with +1 intimidate
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toughness = 2 + Size + (Vigor)/2 + Miscellaneous (Undead, etc.) + Armor.

Size increases directly increase toughness, and size decreases directly decrease toughness.

Changing size does not automatically change strength unless a power (such as Growth) was used to change sizes.

Being larger has no inherent drawbacks, beyond the obvious (harder time finding comfortable cars, greater difficulty hiding, tend to be targeted first in a fight ["Get the big guy!"], can't fit through small openings, etc.), and all of those are situational and at the GM's discretion.
Even the Large quality only comes into play when the GM says it does. I've run PEG-published monsters that were Size +6 and did not have Large.
Elias4444
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you everyone! Exactly what I needed to know!
VonDan
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ValhallaGH wrote:

Being larger has no inherent drawbacks...

Yeah in Slipstream the Memnite Librarian has to pay three times normal for glasses

http://www.peginc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22813
raven_walker
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Officially, Size just adds to Toughness, but it's a good justification to increase Pace and Reach, reduce Parry, and add a bonus to Ranged attacks against the target.

Personally, I break it down into its component elements (SWD race generation) make each +1 to be hit worth -3 build points (-1 Parry plus +1 to be hit with ranged) and add an "Inconvenient Size" hindrance for really large/small builds (increasing the cost and/or weight of armor, gear, etc.)
Zadmar
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did some comparisons of sizes in this thread.

The main problem is that when you go up a size category, you suffer some serious penalties. I reached the conclusion that "Large" is roughly worth an edge if it gives +4 Toughness and +4 steps to Strength, to compensate for the -2 attack and +2 to your opponents' attacks.

However in most settings this doesn't come up, because players are always medium (unless they have specific powers like Growth/Shrink, which also include Strength adjustments). As long as the player remains medium, treating +1 Size as a +2 racial ability is fine.
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to run it that instead of Size +1 just being a +1 to Toughness it's more about being bigger. Each level of Size doubles Load Limit, but each level also increases the amount of food and water needed by 50% (add 50% for each level of Size, so a Size +2 creature needs 100% more food or double that of a normal human).

www.peginc.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Official Settings & Companions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: