Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Movement, measurements, minis, maps, oh my...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DarkStar
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:08 am    Post subject: Movement, measurements, minis, maps, oh my... Reply with quote

Movement in Savage Worlds is supposed to be easy. I started off using maps with grids, because that's what I'm used to. I am still new to the system and have never played any war games. So I know that all characters have a Pace in inches, I consider one field in our grid to be 1'' or 2 meters (or yards for Yankees Wink ). But the way we move the tokens is that if you have a Pace of 5 you move your PC by 5 fields on the grid (wherever you like as long as you don't pass a field occupied by an enemy nor any obstacles like walls, houses, etc.). I think this should be simpler. A hex grid is a minor improvement over a square grid but we still have to count the fields. I read recently that in SW we are supposed to use a ruler (so we are doing it wrong!) - sounds good if you go straight and there is no obstacle in your path. Consider the below image:

Say the dwarf wants to move south west and the black circle is an obstacle. The yellow ruler shows where the 10 meter (5'') range is, that's how far he could move if there was no obstacle. But if he has to go around the obstacle, he can only move 5 fields, it's impossible to get to the field pointed by the arrow. My question is - how do you calculate the paths around obstacles? Do we have to take the ruler and measure every turn? That doesn't sound like Fun nor like Fast (but we may get Furious after some time of doing it).

I don't think the rulebook says anything about that, it just tells you about the pace, minis and inches.

What am I doing wrong and what I should do instead?
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are using a gridded map, just count the number of spaces the character would actually move through (avoiding any obstacles or going through them as Difficult Ground if possible).

Some folks do use "rulers," but they tend to use flexible ones (sometimes called "tape measures"), so they can just bend them around obstacles and the like.

It's not "wrong" to use a map though, just different.

www.peginc.com
Virgobrown72
Heroic

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems a little over thought...
DarkStar
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clint wrote:
If you are using a gridded map, just count the number of spaces the character would actually move through (avoiding any obstacles or going through them as Difficult Ground if possible).

We count right now, but if there's an obstacle, the character has to go around (counting each field). I don't like the counting part, we are playing this online at Roll20 and I don't get to see the movement, the map's updated when the player finishes his move, I can't follow everything. Sure, that's a drawback of using a certain tool rather than the system. I think I may give an abstract movement system a try, such as this one. When I played pen & paper RPGs (Warhammer, Cyberpunk) with a local group we never even tried having maps. Smile That's something I picked up while playing online.
Jordan Peacock
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a flexible tape measure for my tabletop games most of the time, and I'm pretty fast and loose with the exact measurements, especially when I've got an entire horde of zombies to move each round.

My rule of thumb is to err toward the players, especially since I'm the one actually moving the miniatures across the table. If a monster is moving up to a hero and is JUST SHY by half an inch of reaching the hero, then that's just the way it goes. ("Oh, how LUCKY!") If, on the other hand, I can see that a hero is JUST SHY of reaching the monster with a charge, I'll just go ahead and put him right up into base contact.

I can see the advantage of a grid for speeding up movement, but when I'm playing, I'm alternating between printed map sheets, open tables with bits of terrain, 3D platforms, and even scenes set up at entirely different scales (Micro Machines for road wars and space battles, or plasticard ships for Pirates RPG naval battles) at times. If I was restricted to have a grid imprinted on everything I use (and at the same scale!) it would greatly reduce my options.

The exception is with space battles (mostly for Slipstream these days). I've got a large board I've marked up with a hex grid for handling rocketship combat, and I've found it to greatly speed things up when I can just hop the ships from hex to hex, and have highly-abstracted "space obstacles" (debris field, etc.) that aren't strictly solid barriers (i.e., a Piloting check is called for when passing through a "debris field" -- not an automatic collision). The "terrain" doesn't really change much here, so one "starry field" background does the job for me (and I etched and painted this onto a sturdy, thick piece of styrene I got at a surplus store, so it has lasted me for over a decade).

Heroic

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Six-inch lengths of twine or string also work, as you can lay them out on the table and bend them easily around obstacles and such.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: