Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Deadlands characters in HoE: how would it work?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony
View previous topic :: View next topic  
majcrew35
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:08 pm    Post subject: Deadlands characters in HoE: how would it work? Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I've just teleported my veteran-heroic Deadlands posse to HoE, and I'm trying to figure out how that's going to work. Specifically, how are the arcane backgrounds affected, specifically hucksters and mad scientists? Furthermore, how do I differentiate between their "old" weapons and the new ones? I'd imagine 200 years would yield more reliable, accurate guns.

Thanks!
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally, Hell On Earth: Reloaded is your friend.
Most HOE:R guns have higher rates of fire and special qualities (all are semi-automatic, most have large magazines, etc). Basically, they carry more bullets and are easier to use, but are still guns. In real life, the .45 ACP round is widely considered one of the best pistol rounds of all time, and it's over 100 years old.
The availability of alternate ammunition (see HOE:R for the details) is one really exciting difference. But personal firearms are essentially unchanged - the carriage is different (plastics instead of wood), the mechanism works differently, magazine capacity is greater, and there are safety features, but the essence of the personal firearm doesn't change from 1860 to 2090. Vehicles, vehicle weapons, supporting equipment, and personal armor, however, have changed dramatically.

Re: Arcane Backgrounds. The following are all suggestions. You're perfectly free to leave the arcane types unaffected.
Mad Science - manitou don't talk to them any more, so they won't be making any new items until they learn to start Junking. Their old stuff should still work, though it might be harder to repair.
Hucksters - manitou are a lot stronger. A lot stronger. I'd reduce all hand benefits by 1 step. I might worsen PP recovery by 1 hour (4 / 3 / 2), but maybe not.
Blessed - will either be unaffected or morph into Templars.
Shaman - in a lot of areas, nature spirits are much harder to find.
Martial Artist - shouldn't be affected, though the new Kung Fu edge makes a lot of his stuff ... redundant.
McCurmudgeon
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In reference to Hucksters I don't remember it saying manitous are stronger but theres just tons more. I mean I'm sure there are a tons of more powerful manitous but there should still be plenty of weak ones for a Huckster to grad for power. I'd maybe make the backlash worse or something to indicate drawing the attention of a new suped up manitou.

For Shamans, nature spirits still exist but as Valhalla said there are a lot less of them. Most got turned into toxic spirits. I'd maybe make powers cost more points, but not too much because they should still be about equal in strength to Toxic Shamans. If you're up to it, it really depends on the location they are in
Thunderforge
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what you mean about changing the weapons. If they're using their old weapons, use the same stats they were always using from Deadlands. If they're swapping out for new stuff, use the new stats in Hell on Earth. There shouldn't be any need to convert them because the system is cross compatible. That said, Hell on Earth guns are surprisingly similar mechanically to Deadlands guns (and a few, like the Peacemaker, are identical).

Regarding Deadlands Arcane Backgrounds, Classic Hell on Earth did explain what would happen if you were to use them in Hell on Earth. In general, things are more tough for them.

I don't have the books in front of me, but I believe that Huckster's hexes take one more hand to cast and they get a +4 to the backlash table. The rationale is that the manitou generally aren't interested in gambling their power to mere mortals these days, so the Huckster has to wager more of his soul.

Shamans have it real tough too because there aren't many nature spirits around, but I don't remember if they were outright prevented from using their powers or they just had a much harder time.

Mad Scientists will definitely need to switch over to Junkers because their stuff doesn't work any more (see the backstory for Junkers).

Blessed and Voodooists still have their supernatural support, but I would definitely give Blessed the challenge of having God apparently forsake the world (perhaps crises of faith are more prevalent and last longer).

Martial Artists are really the only ones who get off scot free. Channeling the Hunting Grounds directly gives that edge.

The Elder Scrolls conversion and other fun creations.
majcrew35
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I looked over the guns briefly in HoE:R, and didn't notice that they were appreciably better in any way from the ones in DL:R. And I should mention that I am in fact playing Reloaded.

The thoughts on the ABs are interesting, thanks!
ScooterinAB
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weapons: Once you get away from cap and ball pistols, there really haven't been many changes in small arms. There are bigger guns, and guns with more bells and whistles (see the M-92 NA Sidearm writeup in Waste Warriors), but they are basically the same. Any improvements to reliability and quality are some minor that they simply can't be stat'ed.

AB's: This was all dealt with in Classic, as mentioned. The thing with Hucksters is that the manitous are stronger (on the higher end), but there are more of them and there are still tons of weak manitous. I remember there being an errata that basically leveled the rules out, so there ended up not being a big difference.

The main thing with hucksters is their power. Put next to a Doomsayer or Syker, Huncksters aren't really that powerful. There are a lot of great hexes, but there are better routes to power (advice from one of the books).

At the end of the day, most AB's aren't affected (if they are brought into 2093, vs making a new character with that AB).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: