Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[GRAmel]Nemezis (the red sci-fi armors) is available!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Licensees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Piotr Korys
Heroic

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:27 pm    Post subject: [GRAmel]Nemezis (the red sci-fi armors) is available! Reply with quote

Nemezis is on sale Smile It is here http://www.peginc.com/shop/nemezis/
and here http://www.rpgnow.com/product/107387/Nemezis

The ancients foresaw the coming of vile beasts. Monstrosities born at the dawn of the universe that would awaken from their millennia-long slumber to destroy the Earth and humankind. These monsters were dubbed the Dark Gods by the forgotten prophets of days past; according to their grim vision, nothing could stop these beings from destroying the human race.

The prophecies were all true.

Deities have awakened and destroyed the Earth.

And humanity responded with firepower.

The prophets did not realize just how much power the human race would have in the Time of Judgement. They did not understand the destructive power of plasma weapons. They could not imagine an armada of starships able to launch hundreds of thousands of missiles at once. The monsters may have almost godly powers, but the majority of them still vaporize when hit by a megaton warhead!

You are one of the people who do not fear inhuman beasts, servants of the dark deities, or other unspeakable forces. You have discovered the secrets of the corrupt, debased nobles of Bariz. You have tracked down cultists of the Dark Gods trying to take over Ash even as it freezes. And as for the monstrous spawn... well, hunting trips on Cor have challenging game at last!

As a special gift, everyone who buys Nemezis on rpgnow.com and peginc.com, gets free Nemezis Sountrack!

Three planets, three different moods, twelve background music pieces written for the Savage Worlds setting - Nemezis, but which can be used in any modern rpgs. Those tunes, done by Błażej "Błarz" Grygiel, are prepared to enhance tabletop and live-action roleplaying games.

The medley of those tunes can be downloaded here

1. Ash - Getting colder
2. Ash - Metropolis Fight
3. Ash - Cortex Fight
4. Ash - City jungle
5. Ash - A cyborg is born
6. Bariz - A paradise in hell
7. Bariz - Noble duel
8. Bariz - Web of deceit
9. Bariz - Death Race
10. Cor - Endless War
11. Cor - Lullaby
12. Cor - Undeath dreams

Special offer - untill the end of November, Nemezis will cost only $9.99! Let the halloween party with the Horde and Nemezis begins!
Raene82
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooooh! I've been looking forward to reading this! I've already purchased it and look forward to giving it a read while I listen to the music.
jasales
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't tell if this is print or PDF from http://www.peginc.com/shop/nemezis/

I'm looking for print.
Piotr Korys
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jasales wrote:
I can't tell if this is print or PDF from http://www.peginc.com/shop/nemezis/

I'm looking for print.

I hope that there will be print version. All depends now on sales.
booga
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just bought the book, and my first impression just skimming through it is very good: layout is clear and most illustrations are from nice to gorgeous and give a good hint about the universe.
Jux
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So is this my long awaited cthulhu in space? Either way, I am intrigued.

Is it very military oriented? Like Necropolis 2350?
Are there androids?
Are there ship combat rules?
Is it horror sci-fi? Does it show up in mechanics like sanity, fear, etc.?
Erpegis
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So is this my long awaited cthulhu in space? Either way, I am intrigued.

It's kinda like Cthulhu, yeah.

Quote:
Is it very military oriented? Like Necropolis 2350?

The described worlds are basically cyberpunk dystopia, a world of scheming nobles, and a war zone. You could run military campaigns on Cor, but there are other ideas possible.

Quote:
Are there androids?

Yes and no. There are androids (and there will be more on them in the future add-ons), but they're not a playable race, since the setting has basically non-sentient AIs. Instead, they use full-conversion cyborgs - brains in robot bodies.

Quote:
Are there ship combat rules?

No, you need to pick up SF toolkit for that. There are a couple of space vehicles in the Equipment section though.
Piotr Korys
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jux wrote:

Is it horror sci-fi? Does it show up in mechanics like sanity, fear, etc.?

No - good rules for basic fear are in basic rules, and we don`t want sanity as we don`t want to be 100% Cthulhu in space - rather that you have a chance with Nemezis, you`re just weaker, but you still can kick it`s things that can be rear parts of the body.
Jux
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Piotr Korys wrote:

No - good rules for basic fear are in basic rules ...

That's ok too. I can appreciate a setting book that uses the core rules, so other players don't have to be bothered with new rules. After all, that's why we have SW and generic systems in general.

Another question. Is this setting similar to 2300AD? I'm quite confident that when it is from GRAmel it's good. I really like B&B. But I just want to know more Smile. No reviews out yet.

Also, when it comes to gaming books, I'm a paper book guy. So hopefully the print version will happen.
Piotr Korys
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don`t think it is similar to 2300.

About dead tree version - all is in Jim`s hands.

Quote:
That's ok too. I can appreciate a setting book that uses the core rules, so other players don't have to be bothered with new rules. After all, that's why we have SW and generic systems in general.

I agree. That`s why we didn`t created new rules for space combat - 1. There are basic rules for them in SWD, 2. I don`t think that space combat will be a big part of that games - that`s why basic rules works well.
Erpegis
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jux wrote:

Another question. Is this setting similar to 2300AD? I'm quite confident that when it is from GRAmel it's good. I really like B&B. But I just want to know more Smile. No reviews out yet.

2300AD is not really known in Poland, I don't think Andrzej (the author of the setting) played it, but I might be wrong Smile.

From what I read about 2300AD, I think it's quite different. For starters, there's no 'aliens', and FTL is basically a narrative device. About the only similarity is the default tech level - in Nemezis the default weapons are still slugthrowers and people use cars. Nanotech is fairly common, but people fear it. There are cybernetic enhancements and full-conversion cyborgs, there's terraforming (and that's a major plot point in the system), so it's different in many ways.

Also, Nemezis is 'far future'. So far, in fact, that we don't have any kind of timeline. Humans have settled hundreds of thousands of worlds, and while the destruction of Earth was a shock, most people don't really care.
pneumonica
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few points for people who want a "feel" for the setting, just based on an initial reading with a fair bit of skimming:

Essentially the setting is a little bit like Evangelion on a galactic setting. It differs from most such settings in that the setting material focuses on a single system on the frontier of the Horde invasion, with three settled planets. The Horde did strike the system, and one of the planets (Cor) is still a battlefield of the remnants, but humanity broke the advance here.

There are no or very few interstellar nations. Humanity is a disunified front against the eldritch abominations.

The setting has a fairly strong transhumanist undercurrent. The "races" are different clades of humanity, and some of them are very, very far beyond human. Genetic engineering is a common response to incomplete terraforming. There's some use of cybernetics, up to and including the Mnemonic Courrier Background Edge (which isn't exactly what you think it is).

On the other hand, although the setting doesn't have full artificial intelligence, there are cyborgs, who fit the same roles. This includes the robot "ethicist" mandate for robots existing only as slaves to "real humans" - if you sign up to be a cyborg, you're selling yourself into slavery.
Mike Zebrowski
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, what does one do in Nemezis?

What is the hook for the players?

Mike Z
Piotr Korys
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Zebrowski wrote:
So, what does one do in Nemezis?

What is the hook for the players?

Mike Z

Fights the Horde (main thing) in different locations and themes. You can be a soldier on Cor or a noble on bariz. Or a cop from Ash, fighting Syndicate killers that are really cultists in disguise.
But main theme is Horde. It is something like mythos in other games.

BTW - on rpgnow.com, there is whole first chapter as a flash/pdf preview. You can see the setting.

Also, the adventure generator will be a freebie soon, this will also help to get ideas what that setting is about.
sablemage
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

2300AD is not really known in Poland, I don't think Andrzej (the author of the setting) played it, but I might be wrong Smile.

From what I read about 2300AD, I think it's quite different. For starters, there's no 'aliens', and FTL is basically a narrative device. About the only similarity is the default tech level - in Nemezis the default weapons are still slugthrowers and people use cars. Nanotech is fairly common, but people fear it. There are cybernetic enhancements and full-conversion cyborgs, there's terraforming (and that's a major plot point in the system), so it's different in many ways.

Also, Nemezis is 'far future'. So far, in fact, that we don't have any kind of timeline. Humans have settled hundreds of thousands of worlds, and while the destruction of Earth was a shock, most people don't really care.

Having read Nemezis and played 2300AD extensively, here is what I would pull out as the main differences and similarities; YMMV...

SHORT VERSION: Apart from both being SF settings with a heavy military emphasis, the two games don't have much in common.

DIFFERENCES

2300AD: Earth is still the most populous and advanced inhabited world. There is a detailed timeline of game history and capsule descriptions of every inhabited world (there are only a few dozen of these). Colonies and nations are clearly descended from contemporary ones. Perhaps strangely given that most of the inhabited worlds are already described, there is a complex and detailed set of rules for creating star systems and worlds.

Nemezis: Earth has been destroyed. History and geography are deliberately vague. There are few obvious links to 20th/21st century nation-states. There are no rules for creating new worlds as such.

---

2300AD: There are a handful of alien races, each well-realised in my opinion. However, PCs must be human, and many of the adventures focus on players working out just why the aliens do the weird things they do. There are only a couple of animals in the bestiary, but a detailed system for creating your own.

Nemezis: There are a handful of alien races, mostly engineered from baseline humans, and you can also create your own. There is a bestiary in the rulebook.

---

2300AD: Complex and largely random "lifepath" for character generation, reminiscent of Classic Traveller.

Nemezis: SW with a few tweaks.

---

2300AD: Detailed pseudo-scientific FTL drive based on quantum tunneling, whose speed degrades as local gravity increases. Ship construction system is in a supplement which doubles as a fleet combat game. Large ship crews (theoretical minimum 13 crew on a fast courier, although I've known PCs to run on less, and regret it).

Nemezis: Less detailed drive system, with IIRC longer typical travel times between worlds. Ship construction rules are an add-on to those in the SF Gear Toolkit, but it looks to me like you could wing it very easily, as usual in SW.

SIMILARITIES

Both games have implacable alien enemies (the Horde, Kafers) and organised crime (the Syndicate, Provolution). 2300AD also has an option for PCs to be explorers and scouts, but in honesty I never managed to pull that off.

Tech levels for gear, except that 2300AD has no antigravity; however, hovercraft with overloaded drive fans fill the same ecological niche. Both games use genetic engineering to modify colonists for worlds that aren't easy to terraform. Weapons technology is broadly similar except that 2300AD has no shield technology, and Nemezis does. Both systems have cybernetic enhancements (although in 2300AD these are in a supplement), but 2300AD does not have full-body cyborgs or nanotechnology, focussing instead on retroviruses.

Both systems have a task system for resolving in-game actions; Nemezis, as SW, rolls variable die types against a standard target number; 2300AD rolls 1d10 + skill level vs a variable target number.

Both games posit a balkanised humanity, with worlds bickering amongst themselves and not uniting to face a common foe even when this is in their best interests.

Just my $0.02...
sablemage
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, forgot one: No psionics in 2300AD. Athough there is a mind-reading interrogation device in one of the supplements...
Piotr Korys
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sablemage - thanks!
Piotr Korys
Heroic

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark D wrote:
Perhaps strangely given that most of the inhabited worlds are already described, there is a complex and detailed set of rules for creating star systems and worlds.

In NEmezis?
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Piotr Korys wrote:
In NEmezis?

Ignore Mark D. He's a spammer, copying text from previous posts to sound vaguely on-topic while putting his sig-link into the thread.
kaltorak
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmm... probably he is an adept of Lij, the Poisoner of Technology Smile.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Licensees All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: