Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Knight of True Faith

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Utgardloki
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:12 am    Post subject: Knight of True Faith Reply with quote

This is an idea that's been brewing for a while. I'm not sure that my idea can not be improved upon.

The name of this background is taken from Soren Kirkengaard's book Fear and Trembling, and a Knight of True Faith does not need to be a knight in a martial sense of having armor or weapons or even any fighting skills at all. It is possible to have this background and Holy Warrior background -- these are separate things.

A Knight of True Faith is able to believe so strongly that they can actually call miracles into existence.

Knight of True Faith

Requirements: Spirit d8+, Must demonstrate a "true faith" in something. This can be a patron deity or pantheon, or it can be some principle such as charity, justice, or evil. It can even be a faith in randomness, uncertainty, or the existentially impersonal nature of a universe without any gods worthy of the name.

It is also possible to have both the Knight of True Faith and the Arcane Background (Miracles) in the same setting, or even in the same person. True Faith Miracles differ from the Arcane Background (Miracles) in the following ways:
True Faith Miracles are "called upon", not "cast";
The roll to call upon a True Faith Miracle is based on the Spirit trait, not the Faith skill;
No power points are required or expended in calling upon a True Faith Miracle. However, most TFMs are limited to once a day, once a week, or once a month usage. Calling on a TFM more often that that is possible, but requires an extra raise for each time the miracle is called on in this period.
Unlike arcane powers, True Faith Miracles always have an element of "plausible deniability" to them. There is no "Bolt" True Faith Miracle, although there is one that can cause a wave of guilt to wash over the target, and one that can cause a heavy object to fall on top of the target, IF the target is standing somewhere where a heavy object could fall and hit him. A TFM does not have to be at all likely -- maybe there just happens to be a battle axe lodged in the chandelier that just happens to fall at an opportune time.
If a TFM is particularly plausible, e.g. calling upon the Resurrection Miracle when a character has not yet been declared by a medical professional to be dead, or finding some commonly used item in a closet, the GM may apply a +2 bonus to the Spirit roll to call upon the miracle.
True Faith Miracles do not have trappings. They typically occur in the most plausible fashion -- a target standing next to an open closet door might have a bowling ball fall on him, while a target standing next to a TV set might get suddenly blasted by a power surge from the set components. What the Knight of True Faith actually has faith in might also have an effect on what exactly happens.
A Knight of True Faith has access to all True Faith Miracles in existence, although needs to make an extra raise to call upon any TFMs that she has not taken as an edge. An additional raise is needed for each TFM she has already called on that day which she had also not taken as an edge. This makes the simple True Faith Miracles available to all, while the more powerful ones are not reliable without taking them as edges.
If she does not meet all the qualifications for the True Faith Miracle edge, she has to make an additional raise for every qualification that she lacks. No number of raises can make up for lacking the Rank necessary for the TFM, but a Knight of True Faith can sacrifice a number of bennies for seven points per bennie. These points can then be added to her current experience point total to qualify for the necessary rank "just this once". Yes, this is an expensive use of bennies.
If the Wild Die comes up a '1', the miracle does not work, no matter what the roll on the spirit die. True Faith Miracles will not botch to the detriment of the Knight of True Faith, although there may be an apparent setback.

It typically takes one action to call upon a True Faith Miracle, whether it works or not.

Some sample True Faith Miracles:

True Faith Miracles have the following fields:

Rank: This is the rank a character must have in order to use this miracle. If a character is close to this rank, she may sacrifice one or more bennies for seven points per bennie sacrificed, and add the total to her current experience point total to qualify for this miracle "just this once".

Power Points: True Faith Miracles do not need power points to call upon, so this field does not exist.

Raises: How many raises are required to call upon this miracle. If '0', then a simple success suffices. If '1', then one raise is needed. If '2', then two raises are needed, etc.

Frequency: How often the miracle may be called upon. If the miracle is called upon more often than this, an additional raise is needed for each time the miracle is called.

Range: This indicates where the target may be in relation to the Knight of True Faith. Most have a range of either "sight" or "touch".

Target: Who or what may be affected.

Duration: The duration of a True Faith Miracle is usually "instantaneous", in that the effect takes place and the consequences are then permanent. (Ice melts normally, water evaporates or is consumed, etc.)

Armor of Faith
Raises: 0
Frequency: Once a day
Range: Self
Target: Self
Duration: One day
The Knight of True Faith is protected by luck. Any attacks require an additional raise to hit her.

Do Damage
Raises: 1
Frequency: Once a day
Range: Sight
Target: One person or object
Duration: Instantaneous
Something happens to hurt the target designated by the Knight of True Faith. Perhaps a heavy or dangerous object falls upon her. Perhaps she trips and lands on something dangerous. Whatever happens, it does 1d12 damage. She can attempt an Agility roll to avoid getting hurt; if she gets more raises than you do, she avoids taking any damage.

Friend to Animals
Raises: 1 or 2
Frequency: Once an hour
Range: Self
Target: Self
Duration: One day
The Knight of True Faith does not need to fear harm from any animals. They will do anything else but will avoid harming her, if they can. Any hostile action the Knight takes toward the animal will negate this miracle, and he can not use it again for one day.

It normally takes one raise to call upon this miracle, but two raises are needed for protection against animals that are enraged or hungry. If the animal is being controlled, the entity controlling the animal has to beat the Knight of True Faith's raises with a greater number of raises.

Fuel Miracle
Raises: 0
Frequency: Eight times a month
Range: Touch
Target: One vehicle
Duration: One Day
The vehicle the Knight of True Faith drives does not use any fuel today, no matter how far he drives it. If anybody else drives the vehicle in this time, it consumes fuel as normal during the time the other driver is driving this vehicle.
catalac
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like a cool concept i could have used this back when i was running my home campaign with a time traveling knight of the round table in the party.
i wanted to give him options that made him sorta a guy who when fighting evil and the supernatural seem to have some sorta heaven sent supernatural power adding to his martial skill but we both agreed ab miracles really isn't something that a knight of the round table would have (i mean besides the one who got the grail Lancelot was the most righteous... i mean really? Lancelot?) most certainly one who was born a peasant and got promoted for bravery not his faith.

edit: oh yeah if you get any more powers please post them.

does start out getting you train in any number of powers or do you need to pay for the edge for any power you want to use a lot.
Sitting Duck
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC the one who got the Grail was either Galahad or Percival (perhaps both).
catalac
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm yeah that sounds about right. probably Galahad but not entirely sure if he was the one that was lancelot's illegitimate son.
the one that was lancelot's and the grail lady's kid.
wow i am incredibly too vague about this maybe i should go read some king author and get in a fantasy mood.
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

catalac wrote:
hmm yeah that sounds about right. probably Galahad but not entirely sure if he was the one that was lancelot's illegitimate son.
the one that was lancelot's and the grail lady's kid.
wow i am incredibly too vague about this maybe i should go read some king author and get in a fantasy mood.

That's Galahad. The only "perfect" knight. Laughing
Utgardloki
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About the only thing I liked about T.H. White's version of the story, was the idea that after the Quest for the Holy Grail, Arthur's three best knights did not come back because they were perfected, and Sir Lancelot was the only knight who actually came back better for the experience.

For the record, yes, Galahad is the illegitimate son of Lancelot and Elaine, and the knights who found the grail were Sir Galahad, Sir Bors, and Sir Percival.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: