Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Left 4 Dead Zombies?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
warrenss2
Heroic

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:55 pm    Post subject: Left 4 Dead Zombies? Reply with quote

I'm going to be running a 50F game shortly.

But after that I plan on running either War of the Dead or a Left 4 Dead game.

Those of you not familiar with L4D or L4D2 might want to check out those links to bring you up to speed. (Note: Not Safe For Work - Language and Gore)

Anyway... I've been painting zombies for a miniatures game I used to play a lot.

I've been making zombie figures for that game's zombies...

"Normal" zombies - look and act like mindless shamblers until they detect living prey... then they enter sprint mode and attack.

Smoker - long tongue reels in character... pops into a cloud of foul nauseating smoke when killed. - tongue shoots using the Cone template. Foul smoke in a Medium template when the pop on death. Characters -2 to all actions while in smoke.

Boomer - fat zombie that vomits bile at the characters that attarcks just about every "normal" zombie around. Pop and sprays the attracting goop on near by characters when killed. - Bile using the Cone template. Splatters into a Small template of attracting goop when killed. Characters blinded for two turns (-4 on all actions) when barfed on or if Boomer pops near them. Bad news when a hoard of zombies are running in to attack you.

Hunter - able to leap long distances in a single bound - it's Superma... er... and rip the shreds out of you. - need more thought on pounce distance. Shaken characters are helpless. Str+d4 claws?

Witch - sits or aimlessly walks around sobbing and crying. Get too close and she turns into a buzzsaw of undead fury. - huge claws that can down a character in one or two swipes. Str+d6 claws?

Tank - Super tough. Super strong. Throws cars and chunks of concrete or chargers into melee combat. - d12+? in Strength. High vigor and/or armor?

I have not put any thought into the Jockys, Chargers and Spitters in left 4 Dead 2 .

Any suggestions? Has someone already done this?
Ogma
Heroic

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you also checked out the line of "Only the Dead Are Left" minis from Studio Miniatures yet??? They've done unofficial figs from L4D and L4D2:

http://www.studiominiatures.com/Shop/Zombie-Miniatures.html

Scroll down a bit...

Hunter, Boomer, Tank, Smoker, Witch, Charger, Spitter, and Jockey.
warrenss2
Heroic

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen those but I'm "frugal" as heck.

Plus I'm enjoying in making/modifying on my own. I still might buy them to fill in the gaps I have.

I'm in the process of repainting a great looking Hulk HeroClix to make him a Tank. I'll post a picture of him when I'm finished.
tigerguy786
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My advice on the various Zombie Types:

Normal- Use regular zombie stats but give them Pace 7 and Fleet Footed, I'd use this for the template for most of the specials as well.

Smoker (Wild Card)- The Smoker's tongue is a lot longer than a Cone Template, it also only ever hits one character. I'd say: Roll to his and on a successful hit the victim is grappled and puled dX" towards the Smoker while taking 2d6 damage each turn. The "shot" is always a called shot to the head though, so it's at -4. Shooting d10 probably.

Boomer (Lieutenant)- Obese to add 1 more to his toughness and drop his speed. His vomit attack would be an MBT, and everyone caught in it would be Shaken and also take a penalty to all actions. When he explodes it'd be a MBT centered on himself. Maybe Size +1, or that instead of Obese. Give him a wild die and maybe bennies, but not the extra wounds, he's MEANT to die.

Hunter (Wild Card)- Give him the Pounce ability from the Lion, but add that a hit with a raise grapples the target and the Hunter may attack with his claws (Str+d6 with d8 strength) each round he grapples. Others may knock him off with a successful Push.

Witch (wild Card)- She'd be trickier I think. Depending on how deadly you want her to be give her Str+d10 claws with d10 strength or give her some form of poison. Also, a severe weakness to headshots, double damage if you hit her in the head. If you want her less insta-killing then drop her claws to Str+d8, d8 strength. Even on easy mode she's the deadliest thing in the game...unless you get good at insta-killing her with a headshot while she's unaware! Give her Improved Frenzy to be REALLY nasty

Tank (Wild Card)- For the tank, d12+5 strength (the SPC lists that as the minimum strength for throwing a car), it hits an MBT for Str+d10 damage or something obscene like that (in the video game there is no surviving being hit by a car). Size +2, d12 Vigor and Undead should make him sufficiently tough. Maybe add in Hardy. Maybe Frenzy? Maybe he automatically gains the benefits of Berserk?

Just because I like doing this kind of stuff the L4D2 Specials:

Jockey (WC)- Similar to the modified Pounce: A hit with a raise=grappled and the hero must roll Spirit vs the Jockey's spirit or else be unable to perform and action save trying to free themselves. The Jockey can direct the movement of the Character. Spirit d8? d10?

Spitter (WC)- Spit Attack: MBT; 3d6; Made every other round. Also the MBT lasts d4 rounds. When the Spitter dies, center an MBT where it died, which also lasts d4 rounds. Anyone entering it takes 3d6 damage. Shooting d8

Charger (WC)- I've seen the "Gore" ability in various places. It'd have that, and if it hits that initial attack with a raise he grapples and does Strength damage. Strength d12+2, Fighting d8

Uncommons-
CDA zombie- Normal Zombie with +2 armor

Clown Zombie- I don't know

SWAT Zombie- Zombie with Kevlar w/ Inserts so +4/+8
SteelDraco
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are the stats I used when.I did a Deadlands/Left 4Dead crossover. I did it when I was starting SW - might do a few things/differently now.

Common Infected
Abilities: Agility d4 , Smarts d6 (A), Spirit d6, Strength d6, Vigor d6
Monster Abilities: Undead traits (+2 Toughness, +2 to rolls to recover from Shaken, no addtl dmg from called shots, no wound modifiers, immune disease and poison), Vulnerability (called shots work as normal despite undead)
Skills: Climbing d6, Fighting d6, Notice d6
Charisma --, Grit --, Pace 6", Parry 5, Toughness 7

Boomer
Abilities: Agility d6, Smarts d8 (A), Spirit d6, Strength d6, Vigor d4
Monster Abilities: Explosive Burst (if injured, explodes in a Medium burst template centered on creature, affecting everyone in area as though hit by its vomit attack), Undead traits (+2 Toughness, +2 to rolls to recover from Shaken, no addtl dmg from called shots, no wound modifiers, immune disease and poison), Vulnerability (called shots work as normal despite undead), Vomit Bile (roll Throwing vs Agility to all in Cone Template, bile deals 2d4 acid damage and attracts zombies. On a raise, the target is blinded rather than taking extra damage, wait 1d4+1 turns to use again)
Skills: Fighting d6, Notice d4, Throwing d8
Charisma , Grit , Pace 6", Parry 5, Toughness 6

Charger
Abilities: Agility d6, Smarts d6 (A), Spirit d6, Strength d10, Vigor d8
Monster Abilities: Barreling Charge (as part of a run in a straight line, may attempt a melee attack against each opponent in the line. If successful, target is knocked prone (Shaken on a raise) and the charge continues, no MAP for run and attack if using this ability), Slam (melee attack deals Str+1d6 damage rather than just Str), Undead traits (+2 Toughness, +2 to rolls to recover from Shaken, no addtl dmg from called shots, no wound modifiers, immune disease and poison), Vulnerability (called shots work as normal despite undead)
Edges: Brawny (+1 Toughness), Fleet-Footed (+2 Pace, d10" running die)
Skills: Fighting d8, Notice d4
Charisma --, Grit --, Pace 8", Parry 6, Toughness 9

Hunter
Abilities: Agility d8, Smarts d8 (A), Spirit d6, Strength d6, Vigor d6
Monster Abilities: Claws (Str+d4 damage), Leap (move up to d8+4" in a single bound as an action), Pounce (if target square for Leap is an opponent's square, make a melee attack against them with no MAP. If successful, they are knocked prone in addition to any other effects of the hit), Undead traits (+2 Toughness, +2 to rolls to recover from Shaken, no addtl dmg from called shots, no wound modifiers, immune disease and poison), Vulnerability (called shots work as normal despite undead)
Edges: Frenzy
Skills: Climbing d10, Fighting d6, Notice d6, Stealth d6
Charisma --, Grit --, Pace 6", Parry 5, Toughness 7

Smoker
Abilities: Agility d8, Smarts d8 (A), Spirit d6, Strength d8, Vigor d6
Monster Abilities: Grappling Tongue (long prehensile tongue can shoot out to initiate a grapple up to 12" away, each successful grapple attempt drags target 1d4" toward smoker, gain +2 bonus to all grapple checks and deals Str+1d6 damage each turn. Tongue takes damage separately, Parry 5, Toughness 4, releases if shaken and destroyed if wounded), Undead traits (+2 Toughness, +2 to rolls to recover from Shaken, no addtl dmg from called shots, no wound modifiers, immune disease and poison), Vulnerability (called shots work as normal despite undead), Wallcrawling
Skills: Climbing d8, Fighting d6, Notice d6, Stealth d8
Charisma --, Grit --, Pace 6", Parry , Toughness 

Spitter
Abilities: Agility d6, Smarts d6 (A), Spirit d6, Strength d6, Vigor d6
Monster Abilities: Acid Spit (centered up to 12" away, medium burst template, lasts 6 turns. Anyone in the area or who moves through it takes 2d4 damage. This damage increases by a die type each round the target is exposed to it, to a maximum of 2d12 per round. This resets as soon as the target doesn't take damage from the acid in a round. Wait 1d4+1 turns to use again.) Undead traits (+2 Toughness, +2 to rolls to recover from Shaken, no addtl dmg from called shots, no wound modifiers, immune disease and poison), Vulnerability (called shots work as normal despite undead)
Skills: Fighting d6, Notice d4
Charisma --, Grit --, Pace , Parry , Toughness 

Tank (Wild Card)
Abilities: Agility d8, Smarts d6 (A), Spirit d6, Strength d12+2, Vigor d12
Monster Abilities: Armor +2, Fear, Fling Scenery (grab a nearby object to throw for Str+d6 damage up to 18"), Knockback (on a raise on a Fighting roll, the opponent is knocked prone and moved away from the tank 1d4"), Size +2, Slam (melee attacks deal Str+d6 damage), Undead traits (+2 Toughness, +2 to rolls to recover from Shaken, no addtl dmg from called shots, no wound modifiers, immune disease and poison), Vulnerability (called shots work as normal despite undead)
Edges: Combat Reflexes (+2 to recover from being stunned), Quick (redraw cards less than 5)
Skills: Climbing d8, Fighting d10, Notice d6, Throwing d8
Charisma --, Grit --, Pace 8", Parry 7, Toughness 13

Witch (Wild Card)
Abilities: Agility d10, Smarts d4, Spirit d8, Strength d10, Vigor d10
Monster Abilities: Claws (Str+d6 damage), Rend (if hits with both claws deal another Str+d6 damage), Undead traits (+2 Toughness, +2 to rolls to recover from Shaken, no addtl dmg from called shots, no wound modifiers, immune disease and poison), Vulnerability (called shots work as normal despite undead)
Edges: Improved Dodge, Improved Frenzy, Quick
Skills: Fighting d10, Notice d8
Charisma --, Grit --, Pace 8", Parry , Toughness 
warrenss2
Heroic

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ tigerguy786 - I'm thinking your ideas are coming from the EXPERT level of difficulty in the game. LOL! I'm coming from more of the NORMAL level.
Like them a lot!

@ SteelDraco - Also like what you have here. Changes I might make...

Boomer - Vomit does no damage. Blind target (-4 to -6 to actions?) for 2 rounds. Causes all surrounding common zombies within 30" to run and attack. Popping when killed - Small template. I don't think the Boomer's explosive effect would cover a Medium template.

Smoker - Popping when killed - Medium template - all in effected area is -2 to all action due to nausea. Smoke also obscures target's if line of sight goes thru the smoke... -1 to hit.

Mmmmmm... Going to have to mix and add ideas to my own. Along with some ideas from War of the Dead and Zombacalypse
tigerguy786
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

warrenss2 wrote:
@ tigerguy786 - I'm thinking your ideas are coming from the EXPERT level of difficulty in the game. LOL! I'm coming from more of the NORMAL level.
Like them a lot!

Thanks, and I DID mention that I was making them hard. Personally, I wouldn't have fun with that set of zombies, but I figured I'd throw out the idea in case that's what you wanted.
warrenss2
Heroic

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tanks!!!

A Clix repainted Hulk and Robot Hulk (made to look damaged).

Still need to fix those bases.

BTW... I SUCK at painting miniatures!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: