Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[Classic] The march of time

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: The Weird West
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jimsolo
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:10 pm    Post subject: [Classic] The march of time Reply with quote

So, I'm looking to start a Deadlands (classic) game on the 7th. Here's a question I have, going forward. Is there a book that talks about the 'canon' way things progressed between Deadlands and Hell on Earth?

Like, which railroad won the Rail Wars? Whatever became of Deseret? Of Lost Angels? The two Indian territories? To my knowledge, by HoE's WWIII all four of those groups were gone, or am I wrong?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Last edited by Jimsolo on Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Demonicuss Krinn
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you're talking about Classic, the majority of background stuff was covered in the Hell on Earth Companion. As for your questions:

* Who Won the Rail Wars? Classic says nobody really knows, even the surviving history books are iffy on the subject. I'm guessing this was because the Great Rail Wars minis game was still going on, so if you're still sticking with Classic (and not going to dip into Reloaded for fluff), it's ultimately your call.
* Deseret - talked about in the Iron Oasis supplement.
* Lost Angels - in the Shattered Coast supplement.
* Indian Territories - more info in the Spirit Warriors supplement.
DarkLordOfJello
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off the top of my head (so take it for what it's worth):

The Rail Wars - Eventually won by Hellstromme and Wasatch Rails (I think this is stated in DL Noir). The plot points seem to be hinting at how he gets there.

Deseret - Deseret as a country existed up until Judgment Day and was one of the most technologically advanced nations around. The Mormon Prophet foresaw the end of the world and took what he could of his flock to the north to escape the worst of it.

Lost Angels - Becomes more or less the Vatican City of America. Once Grimme is gone, the Church of Lost Angels actually turns into a force for good. They actually manage to prayer bomb Famine's horse.

Indian Territories - The Sioux Nations stay independent up until the bombs drop, with a sort of treaty city in Deadwood; the ending to Last Sons explains how. The Coyote Confederation gets the short end of the stick, and after a plague more or less cripples them, they get absorbed into the Confederacy (this is in Noir too, if I'm unmistaken).
Demonicuss Krinn
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, since you said you were running a Classic game, I kept the fluff to what was in Classic. Since Reloaded moves things forward, things got changed or added upon. Here's what Reloaded adds:

Rail Wars: The Flood supplement details Hellstrome's first victory in ending the Rail Wars, while Last Sons has an adventure that pretty much finishes it up.

Deseret: Pretty much unchanged.

Lost Angels: Also unchanged, but Noir added that the City ended up a combo of American Vatican and Hollywoodland.

Indian Territories: The bad times in the Coyote Confederation was explained in Spirit Warriors.
VonDan
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A small bequest by Mary Todd Lincoln led to the founding of a school in Arcadia New York ware she had hoped people with new found powers after the reckoning could learn to speak to the other side and cross the veil

From the 1880 student hand book: Welcome to Arcadia High School. Established in 1866 and located in upstate New York in the quaint secluded town of Arcadia on the Hudson We pride ourselves on having built a facility best suited to the educational needs of children with special abilities like you. Our student body is a diverse cross section of children with special gifts not just from the United States we also have a exchange students from many nations and scholarships.

In 1905 the Miller brother 101 ranch weird west show was preforming at Madison Square garden. One of the Mohave rattlers escapes from it's cage and rampaged into the stands. Luckily top show performer Bill Picket the famous rattler wrangler was able to rid his horse into the stands and leap on the ratter and bit it on the lip while his partner Will Rogers was able to lasso it's tail and drag it back to the pens. After this event the transportation of what Charles Darwin had called Fauna Fantastical east of the Mississippi river was banned

By the time excitement of the first world war was over the nation was again clamoring for the excitement to be seen in the weird west. The newly formed Hellstorm moving picture company (HMP) bought up a valley near the rebuilt Los Angles. Hellwood valley was known for a native shrub or tree, that had has a foul smelling oily sap, dark green leaves with jagged razor sharp edges, reddish-orange poisonous berries and a tendency to smolder and catch fire in the summer heat. The valley was cleared and HMP and other studios built a entertainment empire in Hellywood

In 1946 three special infants born to parents irritated by fall out from Ghost rock bomb demonstrations and two wartime launches were placed in a day care enter and orphanage in Arcadia New York operated by Mr and Mrs Grundy as Granny Grundy's Day Care

By 1948 Coach Grundy had three new Varsity staters named Huey Dewey and Lee in the Arcane High football team

1955 Jessie Garon Presley invents rock and roll

1957 it is later found out that Mrs Devlin is perfecting her recipes for the book how to serve man as a High school home economic teacher in Arcadia New york
Jimsolo
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a way to report posts for being off topic or spam?

Thanks for the helpful responses, (Jello and Krinn) that's a big help!

I may have to pick up those plot-point campaigns. It looks like there's one for Raven, Stone, and Grimme so far. Are the Big Nasties themselves actually given stats? I know they were shying away from that in classic, but it'd be nice to have them.

((If I did get the PPCs, is there a way, even a rough way, to convert to Classic, or should I just eyeball it?))
Inferno!
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimsolo wrote:

Good question
Sitting Duck
Legendary

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimsolo wrote:

Spammers can be reported at a sticky thread in the Hey Pinnacle forum. As for drifting off topic, that's the responsibility of the posters.
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimsolo wrote:

There may be an admin contact button somewhere, but really you can just shoot me a PM.

Jimsolo wrote:
I may have to pick up those plot-point campaigns. It looks like there's one for Raven, Stone, and Grimme so far. Are the Big Nasties themselves actually given stats? I know they were shying away from that in classic, but it'd be nice to have them.

The Big Four are all statted in the Marshal's Handbook, and each of the PPC's deals specifically with facing off against them in a major way.

Besides the rules differences, Reloaded isn't about drawing storylines out but finishing them off (and then building new storylines off those).

Jimsolo wrote:
((If I did get the PPCs, is there a way, even a rough way, to convert to Classic, or should I just eyeball it?))

Well, in most cases I'd think it would just be "2 Walkin' Dead per posse member" and then using the existing Classic stats.

Unique and new critters will be a bit tricky though. As a rough guideline for Skills, you might use half the existing die type as the number of dice with any pluses beyond that adding extra dice.

So a Fighting of d8 would be a 4 (use the weapons listed for what types of Fighting are known).

And a Shooting of d12+2 would be an 8 (half of 12 then add 2).

That would give a minimum of 2 dice in any Skill (for a d4), but really only having 1 die in a skill in Classic is close to rolling unskilled in Reloaded. So if it seems the character is "missing" Skills, you could probably stick a 1 where you feel it's needed without a problem.

www.peginc.com
Jimsolo
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet! Definitely going to have to pick up some Reloaded products then, if only to use them for the story.
DarkLordOfJello
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Careful, that's what I did originally, and then I found out that Reloaded runs silky smooth compared to some of the, er, quirks in Classic and now my group and I love it to death. But yes, the conversion isn't too hard if you're well versed in Classic mechanics, and the amount of mileage you can get out of just one of the Plot Point books is remarkable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: The Weird West All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: