Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Paylist of an army

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: The Weird West
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Docfoots
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:50 pm    Post subject: Paylist of an army Reply with quote

Hello and howdy,
while thinking about a plot for my group that involves a division of the CSA, the question came to my mind, what a paylist for such a force would look like. The Deadlands Reloaded Players Handbook gives information about the typical pay of a soldier, i.e. 17 $ for a private, 35 $ for a captain etc. Yet, how many privates, corporals, sergeants etc. are in a typical division?

I fiddled around with some numbers for myself and, applying the precise instrument of arbitrary estimations came to about 9000 soldiers in a division which would result in ca. 170.000 $ pay per month.

So what do you history buffs think, are these realistic values? Does any of you have an idea about the composition of CSA/USA divisions or probably even have a historical document dealing with this subject? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks and goodbye.
Snate56
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um... why do you need a division?
You're working with a half a dozen or so posse members so all the rank and structure above them can remain nebulous.
Is somebody robbing a payroll train or something? If so, the numbers you have are just fine.

Oh! And welcome to the forums! Glad to hear from your neck o' the woods! Laughing

SteveN
sablemage
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best one-page explanation I've been able to find is here. If you scroll down it gives you the theoretical composition of companies and regiments; I haven't been able to find out what a divisional HQ looked like, but you could always add an extra regimental one and promote all the officers.

In principle a division should have been 12,000 men, but in practice the commonest size seems to have been about half that, and I've seen numbers as low as 4,500 cited for some divisions.

It seems the CSA didn't keep meticulous army records, and most of those it did keep seem to have been destroyed in the war, so you could basically pick anything between 4,000 and 12,000 and it would be credible.

I'm no expert, though, and will listen respectfully to anyone who is.
Docfoots
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snate56 wrote:
Um... why do you need a division?
You're working with a half a dozen or so posse members so all the rank and structure above them can remain nebulous.
Is somebody robbing a payroll train or something? If so, the numbers you have are just fine.

Oh! And welcome to the forums! Glad to hear from your neck o' the woods! Laughing

SteveN

Thanks for the welcome. Smile

Well, we have a really big playgroup, so I would like to now if we all fit into a division... Just kidding. Wink
Yes, you guessed right, I thought about the amount of cash a payroll train or something similar would have in its safe. As I had no idea about the sum, I tried to estimate the size and, subsequently, the payroll. Glad to hear that my guestimation is not totally off.

@sablemage:
Thanks, the site you posted is very helpful. With 4,000 to 12,000 there is a good range I can choose of. Apparently, it will be about 500,000 $ for a division per quarter. That is quite a number! The possee will have to go through hell and back to earn that amount of cash. What a coincidence that Deadlands and Hell fit together perfectly... Twisted Evil

Thank you all for your help! Smile
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Docfoots wrote:
Yes, you guessed right, I thought about the amount of cash a payroll train or something similar would have in its safe.

Just to toss it out there, carrying the payroll for an entire division would be pretty rare as the largest tactical unit would be a brigade, and even that would be unusual to have in one location. It'd be more likely for a train to carry the payroll for a regiment, and yeah, that would be heavily guarded.

Still, a unique situation is always possible.

www.peginc.com
cdwjava
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a ton of resources out there, even rosters of actual units. Some of the CSA regiments have better records and rosters than others, and many of my peers (I am a Civil War reenactor going on 29 years) have spent their lives researching these things.

One resource I use for Deadlands army wages is this:

http://www.civilwar.org/education/history/warfare-and-logistics/logistics/pay.html

You'll notice that pay may occur every other month - maybe longer. So, if you're plot involves a payroll, figure two to three times the average monthly cost.

"Make mine a double mocha ...
And a croissant!"
Docfoots
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@cdwjava: Thank you, this is also a very interesting source of information. Good to know that the payment was not regularly, so there is a valid explanation for an increased amount of money in the safe (First pay in 3 or 4 months).

The general idea was to use some elements of "L’homme qui valait 500 000 $" (The man who was worth 500 000 $) from Cartiers Comic "Blueberry". In this story, the treasury of the CSA is brought over to Mexico after the war is lost in order to preserve it for the time when the south would rise again.

Since the civil war took a different course in Deadlands, some adaptation has to be done. Thus, I thought that the pay of a division or, as I have learned, maybe of a brigade could replace the CSA treasury of the original story. Altering the background of the comic and adding supernatural elements should give it a Deadlands feeling and, hopefully, result in an exciting story for the posse.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: The Weird West All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: