Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wish List for "Stone and a Hard Place"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: The Weird West
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Stray
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm hoping for the chance to dig up some old bullets and off one of the Stones.
Edgeworth
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StalkThis wrote:
I just hope that the Hard Place is the other Stone.

Razz

Although I've assumed that to be the case, it'd be kinda neat see Stone and "The Angel of Death" competing who's the real Death around.

By The Angel of Death, I of course mean

Quote:
Garrett Black of Cult of the Lost Angels. Heck, there might even be two Stones and The Angel of Death in the same book!
Demonicuss Krinn
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised that, after Cutter mentioned the possibility of going to Washington DC, no one here has made a "Mister Stone Goes to Washington" joke.
The Stray
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More fun stuff for New Mexico:

* Hoodoo Brown and the Dodge City Gang. This gang of ne'er-do-wells robbed stagecoaches and trains and basically took over the town of Las Vegas, New Mexico for about a year after Hoodoo Brown became the mayor and coroner (and thus able to rule all the killings his gang did as "inflicted in self defense"). This is the prefect real-life example of the "outlaws run the town" scenario as could be wished, and is a perfect set-up for a Savage Tale.
otherdoc
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Stray wrote:
* Hoodoo Brown and the Dodge City Gang. This gang of ne'er-do-wells robbed stagecoaches and trains and basically took over the town of Las Vegas, New Mexico for about a year after Hoodoo Brown became the mayor and coroner (and thus able to rule all the killings his gang did as "inflicted in self defense"). This is the prefect real-life example of the "outlaws run the town" scenario as could be wished, and is a perfect set-up for a Savage Tale.

The cool thing about these guys is that they exemplify the way that there was practically no line between "white hats" and "black hats" in those days. Members of the Dodge City Gang like John Webb and Dave Mather actually worked alongside Wyatt Earp, Bat Masterson and the others to keep the peace in and around Kansas, but then also committed plenty of crimes. In many ways, when it came to lawmen, it was often a case of whoever could be the biggest bully getting to be the one in charge, whether for good or ill.

(One of my favorite stories is of Wyatt Earp and Mysterious Dave Mather going to Mobeetie, Texas and concocting a scheme to sell phony gold bricks supposedly from the time of the conquistadors, then immediately getting run out of town by Jim McIntire).
Thunderforge
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Stray wrote:

Same here. Gives the plot point campaign a very satisfying conclusion and fits right in with continuity having only one of them around by the Hell on Earth era.

The Elder Scrolls conversion and other fun creations.
RJack
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Stray wrote:
More fun stuff for New Mexico:

Especially since Hoodoo Brown and Dave Rudabaugh have already been introduced in Deadlands (Law Dogs), with connections to La Croix (again).

otherdoc wrote:
The cool thing about these guys is that they exemplify the way that there was practically no line between "white hats" and "black hats" in those days. Members of the Dodge City Gang like John Webb and Dave Mather actually worked alongside Wyatt Earp, Bat Masterson and the others to keep the peace in and around Kansas, but then also committed plenty of crimes. In many ways, when it came to lawmen, it was often a case of whoever could be the biggest bully getting to be the one in charge, whether for good or ill.

Oh, no doubt. Deadlands casts the Earps as the "good guys" and the Clantons as the "bad guys", when really they were much closer together in motivation. The Earps had already earned a reputation in Dodge as "The Fighting Pimps" for their support of houses of prostitution and predilection for beatings. They basically went further West to make more money in another boom town (historically Dodge was winding down after 1878). The Clantons were mostly in opposition because they had supported the previous town marshal, and opposed Marshal White politically. I guess casting the OK Corral shootout as "two groups of self-interested guys mostly motivated by greed" doesn't have the same epic feel to it.

One thing I've enjoyed doing in my campaigns is playing around with the hero/villain settings for different historical figures. Wyatt Earp, crime lord, and Curly Bill Brocius, vampire hunter, have both appeared in my games.
El Diablo
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stone being a hero killer, he will probably kill the official heroes of the story (the Earps). Here come the PC as the replacement heroes to fill the void and fight the Clantons, and giving to the players the opportunity to live with their caracters the battle of OK Corral.
McCurmudgeon
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't been on the forum in a while and was very happy to see that this exist.

Cutter XXIII wrote:
Hank Ketchum makes a... err... cameo. Twisted Evil

Initial reaction. "Oh No They've Killed Ketchum" He's always been my favorite NPC. It's probably because he's a cowboy pirate and beats ALL the ninjas (theres a funny story)

Thunderforge wrote:
The Stray wrote:

Same here. Gives the plot point campaign a very satisfying conclusion and fits right in with continuity having only one of them around by the Hell on Earth era.

But then where will you get a Stone for Lost Colony? Wink

I'm guessing "Stone and a Hard Place" is coming before the Hellstromme PP?
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

McCurmudgeon wrote:
I'm guessing "Stone and a Hard Place" is coming before the Hellstromme PP?

Correct.
They haven't told us what the title of that one will be.
The Stray
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More requests!

The Anahuacs: I've been reading Lost Angels, and came across this very interesting take on mestizo culture. The poor Anahuacs got passed over in both The Flood AND Trail Guide: South o' The Border, so it would be nice to get a nod (at least ot know if we should consider them Blessed or Shamans, and what rules changes might need to be made to accommodate them).

Montezuma's Well, Montezuma's Castle: Both of these are significant Native American sites. The Well would be a perfect protal to the hunting Grounds, and Montezuma's Castle already got a nod in Last Sons and would be an interesting place for a party to stumble upon.

Sunset Crater, Meteor Crater: These locales could be significant and fun to explore, and it would be nice to see them mentioned. Heck, Meteor Crater was once known as Canyon Diablo, and I know that could make for a fun Savage Tale just on the name alone.
The Stray
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Texas" John Slaughter has a name and history that just seems right for getting the Deadlands touch, given he's a Texas Ranger and has an awesome name.
Cutter XXIII
Legendary

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Stray wrote:
The Anahuacs: I've been reading Lost Angels, and came across this very interesting take on mestizo culture. The poor Anahuacs got passed over in both The Flood AND Trail Guide: South o' The Border, so it would be nice to get a nod (at least ot know if we should consider them Blessed or Shamans, and what rules changes might need to be made to accommodate them).

Won't be seeing them again. Sorry.

But thanks for the continuing suggestions; it's inspiring as I get into the meat of the writing... Wink
The Stray
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aw, well.

It's good to know that the suggestions are proving fruitful!

Arizona has a ton of Ghost Towns. Mining was really big here in the late 19th/early 20th century. Copper, silver, and gold mines were very big in the mountains of central AZ. We have places like Jerome, Gold Road, Bisbee, Bumble Bee, and scores more.

Also, there's a lot of places compared to Hell in Arizona. There's Devil's Canyon, Hell's Canyon, the afore mentioned Canyon Diablo crater, Skull Valley...tons of places.

There's the Four Sacred Mountains of the Najavo nations, and Canyon De Chelly (which I think got a write-up in a Classic book).

I wish I knew more about New Mexico, Texas, Nevada, or Louisiana, but I know tons and tons about my home state, and I'm happy to provide ideas.
MagusRogue
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know what? What, with Deadlands Noir now almost out, maybe some stuff about how New Orleans circa 1880 is would be awesome?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
The Stray
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MagusRogue wrote:
You know what? What, with Deadlands Noir now almost out, maybe some stuff about how New Orleans circa 1880 is would be awesome?

That WOULD be awesome...heck, a Trail Guide - Bloody Ol' Muddy would be a product I'd be into buying.

Another thought...The Lost Dutchman Gold Mine might be something fun to play with...
The Stray
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking about New Mexico, aside from what's already been mentioned...

White Sands is a visually interesting place...a desert of gypsum crystals south of Alamagordo, where the first Atomic Tests were done. Perhaps someone is testing Ghostfire Bombs out there?

Clayton Lake has a ton of fossilized dinosaur footprints. Could be interesting to deal with.

New Mexico has a ton of ancient pueblos left over from the Anasazi, which are important in Deadlands canon. The Taos Pueblo, located two miles north of Taos, New Mexico, is one of the oldest continuously occupied communities in the United States. People still live in some of its 900 year old buildings. Are there any of the Anasazi who are trying to resurrect their culture?

The Carlsbad Caverns are awesome and I'd like to mention them, even though they weren't discovered until the 20's in our world. Still, the caverns are awesome, one of nature's wonders.

I mentioned Hoodoo Brown before, but Las Vegas, New Mexico was established long before the one in Nevada and was called "more wicked than Dodge City."
Tinhorn Huckster
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cutter XXIII wrote:
Billy the Kid probably won't ever be a major Deadlands player. He's gotten his due in the Visionary comics, and might get more, but the fact is he's just not a particular fave of Shane's. And we go with Shane's likes and dislikes, 'cause he's the man.

Aw, that's too bad. I mean, I don't want Billy the Kid and the Regulators as major players - I'm allergic to metaplots ever since 7th Sea -, but I'd like to see them getting a proper Deadlands write-up.
BrotherFlounder
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very excited about finally getting to see Tombstone in this one!

Any chance we might seen an update on New Orleans and/or the major huckster players (i.e. Enoch Shaw and Solomon Thayer & the Court)?
velikch
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any word on when this might get released? I've been itching to see Death's Domain and Pestilence's Domain hit the books so I can add them to my collection. Wink

...they took to it like Deadlands characters to Manitous...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: The Weird West All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: