Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pathfinder
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kodyax
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have mixed feelings on this as a part of me is gearing up to wean myself away from Pathfinder while another is Hell bent on keeping things as is. There is a lot of interesting ideas I like with Pathfinder but it can be a bit clunky to run. However it is a specialized system that lends itself to certain types of fantasy quite well. There have only been a few settings of fantasy that have impressed me so far that there could be an alternative. Totems of the Dead and Beasts and Barbarians are those settings and even then I have tweaks I feel the need to make. Like introducing anthro animal races or converting the whole thing to becoming a furry world. But that's just me and my convoluted mind.
amerigoV
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grendal1 wrote:
And what spell system should I use...the basic one doesn't seem very "D&D" to me...

You really got to pound the trappings. Everything a mage/sorcerer/priest/psionist does is related to their power source. I have been running a psionist in a Ptolus campaign that recently reached legendary. Everything maps back to his trappings.

• His Notice is not just eyes and ears, but sensing nearby emotions.
  • His Fighting Skill (not much) is his ability to sense where is opponent is about to strike next.
  • His Taunt is the ability to pick out what really agitates a person with a quick mind probe

As another example, here is a write up of his last Advance (yes, it was worthy of its own write-up!):

Migraine (the PC's) selects Professional (Psionics) – a +1 to his Psionics roll:

Parallel Processing [Professional (Psionics)]
As Migraine’s abilities have grown, he has sensed that he has neared his optimal potential in his overall skill (d12). To some degree, this is a bit vexing and he has pondered on ways he can squeeze out any more ability in this area.

The idle, mundane chatter of his companions after a recent battle has given him insight into some new possibilities. He thought to himself, “why aren’t the others even trying to think about what to do next? Why are they not using their brain?” With a flash, Migraine reached out with his mind and found what he was looking for — excess capacity! While some of his companions might have the ability to think deeper, their day to day concerns keeps them from truly focusing their minds. “But their loss is my gain” thought Migraine.

Migraine has spent the last couple of battles experimenting with tapping into his companion’s brains to assigning minor “tasks” associated with his psionics. Much of it has been to enhance targeting during swirling melees. Another task he has planted are spell preparation cycles and the mechanics to transfer it smoothly into his own mind to power the spell. For example, he might use Dorrell’s mind to better target a dangerous foe that he has a better line of sight to, or use Ava’s mind to prep his next Mind Blast, or to start an enhancement of Speer’s fighting abilities before fully entering her mind himself.

While crude, it is effective. He senses his powers working more smoothly and reliably. And there is still plenty of room in those minds for improvement!

He also has a follower that is modeled off the D&D 3x Psychic Warrior. Not a signed power edge, but everything centered around the concept of them having Foresight -- the ability to see a second or so into the future. So Edges like First Strike, Counter Attack, Block, etc all flowed through this concept.

Quite frankly, a player spending a bit of time thinking through their Trappings will create a PC that "feels" more like a wizard/cleric/psionist than anything they ever played in D&D. But it does take a bit of thought investment, otherwise its just "bolt/bolt/blast". If you are the GM you can help by referencing their trappings for anything they do (for example, an air mage might "glide" along the ground if they do the run action).
Kodyax
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some interesting ideas. I keep wondering how to translate some of the monsters from the game. But in some respects this is an interesting set of ideas.
amerigoV
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kodyax wrote:
Some interesting ideas. I keep wondering how to translate some of the monsters from the game. But in some respects this is an interesting set of ideas.

Monsters are the most fun. Think about what makes them cool, and the rest just flows from that. One of the funnest conversion for me was the Gravedigger (3.5, not sure what MM - it was in Expedition to Castle Ravenloft). The critter could basically put you an "instant" grave as a power. I just used Entangled with the grave trappings. Scared the crap out of my players!

My only warning for Pathfinder modules is the same I would give for D&D conversions as well. D&D 3.x was built assuming you needed 13 1/3 EL=Party level encounters to get a level. That led to a ton of filler encounters. Step back and look at the encounters that enhance the story and ditch the filler.
Kodyax
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some interesting modules out to be sure. Although right now I'm struggling to keep up with the current adventure path as I am of two minds on it. I like the individual adventures but not so much the meta-plot, Although in some ways I thinking of ways of maybe converting it to a plot point campaign.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: