Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Avengers vs. X-Men
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
justinsg
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:30 pm    Post subject: Avengers vs. X-Men Reply with quote

So, my gaming group has recently had an argument about who would win in a Marvel Showdown between the Avengers and the X-Men**. We decided to end the argument once and for all with a 3 on 3 battle using the Super Powers Companion.

I'd like to post the character sheets I created for the six superheros to get feedback from this group, but I wanted to make sure it was OK. Are there any rules against this? Or copyright violations? They are all Marvel characters built using the Savage Worlds SPC.

Also, is this the right forum for this? Or should I post this in the Official Settings and Companions forum?

EDIT: OK, so somebody said that posting links to these files is allowed by the forum rules. If this is in error, I will remove them immediately.

There are 8 files, 6 are PDF and 2 are JPG because I made them on vacation with my iPad. Here they are:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ptxaeuc210i2qlr/2Ek407ljhW

I'm bracing myself for the criticism in all the ways I did this wrong, but I am actually hoping to find some positive critiquing.

** I'm not sure if I should be proud or horrified that I just typed a sentence that revealed that level of geekery.

Last edited by justinsg on Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:23 pm; edited 2 times in total
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posting copyrighted information, including builds of copyrighted characters, is a violation of forum rules.
Posting a link to those builds, however, is legit. So, put them up on a website and you can throw up a link here.
Cutter XXIII
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the Forum Rules:

Quote:
Do not post conversions on the forum of material that is copywritten. Posting the stats for Lou K. Windrunner, Psi Ranger is fine, but not that other guy.

And for the record, The Avengers would utterly mop the floor with the X-Men. And this is coming from someone who likes the X-Men better. Thor and Hulk vs. Colossus and Wolverine? Please.

Although if you throw Rogue into the mix and she slaps a bare hand on the Hulk........ Wink
justinsg
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I knew the answer was out there Smile

Cutter XXIII wrote:

And for the record, The Avengers would utterly mop the floor with the X-Men. And this is coming from someone who likes the X-Men better. Thor and Hulk vs. Colossus and Wolverine? Please.

I agree in principle that the Avengers have a deeper roster and are more well rounded than the X-Men and should win the fight. However in this 3 on 3 battle, if Professor X gets a successful Mind Control on the Hulk and continues to win the opposed rolls, it quickly turns into a 4 on 2 battle.

Our cast is:
Thor
Hulk
Ironman

vs.

Professor X
Storm
Wolverine
VonDan
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this comics Wolverine who only has a 700 pound lift limit and takes a few weeks to heal from being impaled on a katanna or movie Wolverine who can instantly heal damage from the Pheonix's dark fire and push bullet out of his brain

Last edited by VonDan on Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Noshrok Grimskull
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Storm's ranged attack is lightning...
Won't affect Thor (who can shoot it right back), can't hurt the Hulk and actually charges up Iron Man.

Wolverine is a close combat guy...
Can't really hurt the Hulk and Thor and won't be able to reach Iron Man.

That's 2 out of 3 X-Men already pretty much useless.

"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes 'ding' when there's stuff." - The Doctor (Doctor Who)
Virgobrown72
Heroic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cyclops has an incredibly powerful ranged attack( Reportedly can punch a hole in a mountain), plus leadership edges.

Emma Frost with the psionics can level the playing field.

Wolverine as the unstoppable skirmisher.

Collosus as a shock trooper.

Storm with the ranged and area attacks (Lightning, winds, rain).

It's not an easy call...
Virgobrown72
Heroic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you were to mix up the roster a little...
justinsg
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VonDan wrote:
Is this comics Wolverine who only has a 700 pound lift limit and takes a few weeks to heal from being impaled on a katanna or movie Wolverine who can instantly heal damage from the Pheonix's dark fire and push bullet out of his brain

Kind of a mixture between the two? We went with the once per minute Regeneration.

Noshrok Grimskull wrote:
Storm's ranged attack is lightning...
Won't affect Thor (who can shoot it right back), can't hurt the Hulk and actually charges up Iron Man.

Wolverine is a close combat guy...
Can't really hurt the Hulk and Thor and won't be able to reach Iron Man.

When you get around to actually building these characters with a maximum of 40 power points using the SPC and making sure they have their baseline abilities, it's fairly difficult to squeeze in things like a 9 point Absorption/Reflection for Thor.

Creating a Thor that has every ability he has ever used in a comic would need at least 100 power points by my reckoning, so being limited to 40 means some tough decisions need to be made.
Virgobrown72
Heroic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 100 point build for Iron Man would be rediculous!!! Surprised
Cryonic
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who would win? Depends on who is writing the comic. For every advantage one side has, you can take it away by changing the setup. Storm can be made far less useful by putting this indoors or underground. Wolverine's ability from what I've seen takes seconds to days to heal the same kind of wound. Professor X with Cerebro would be greatly enhanced. Iron Man has cool gadgets, but in tight quarters he loses a lot of his suits advantage. Hulk seems to vary from can lift a car to can lift a small moon in strength... and seems to be nigh invulnerable to most attacks. But, get him off the ground and his strength means nothing. Etc...

Savage Worlds Tales: http://www.daemonstorm.com/category/Categories/Role-playing/Savage-Worlds
Cutter XXIII
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Professor X can only control Hulk until he gets a Mjolnir upside his dome.

Avengers win.

justinsg wrote:
When you get around to actually building these characters with a maximum of 40 power points using the SPC...

That makes it a completely different discussion. We're not talking about The Avengers vs. X-Men, we're considering three 40-point SPC characters vs. three 40-point SPC characters. A toss-up.

Last edited by Cutter XXIII on Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
justinsg
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so somebody said that posting links to these files is allowed by the forum rules. If this is in error, I will remove them immediately.

There are 8 files, 6 are PDF and 2 are JPG because I made them on vacation with my iPad. Here they are:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ptxaeuc210i2qlr/2Ek407ljhW

I'm bracing myself for the criticism in all the ways I did this wrong, but I am actually hoping to find some positive critiquing. OP is updated with the link.
justinsg
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cutter XXIII wrote:
That makes it a completely different discussion. We're not talking about The Avengers vs. X-Men, we're considering three 40-point SPC characters vs. three 40-point SPC characters. A toss-up.

Yep, sorry. I was trying to say that we intended to pull this combat off within the boundaries of the rules set up in Savage Worlds Deluxe and the Super Powers Companion. My first post may not have said this very well, my bad.
Cutter XXIII
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justinsg wrote:
Cutter XXIII wrote:

Yep, sorry. I was trying to say that we intended to pull this combat off within the boundaries of the rules set up in Savage Worlds Deluxe and the Super Powers Companion. My first post may not have said this very well, my bad.

No worries. I like to geek out about comic books. Very Happy
Boldfist
Heroic

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justinsg wrote:
Cutter XXIII wrote:

Yeah, if they are only 40 PPs each it will come down to tactics. I have run a few supers and I have Thor and Hulk at 120 PPs each. My version of Iron Man has 100 PPs and Wolverine at only 70 PPs. The X-men are definitely lower powered than Earth's Mightiest Heroes!

Now if I used my "movie" versions of Captain America, Black Widow and Hawkeye (all 30-40 PPs each) it would be a much better fight for the X-men.

I just downloaded your 6 files and I'll look over them tonight! From first glance it looks like the Hulk and Thor are way underpowered. Although my version of Mjolnir is close to yours with Switchable and the Powers.
VonDan
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to see the Power Pack and Franklin Richards vs The Muppit babies
Boldfist
Heroic

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just put my version of the Hulk up on my blog. Let me know what you think?

http://savageboldfistblog.blogspot.com/

And I just added my version of the Wolverine too.
Snate56
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VonDan wrote:

That's one of the parts where the movies were just silly. No bullet can penetrate Wolverine's Adamantium skull, not even an Adamantium one.

To be fair, you should run it without psionics, I mean, Professor X can freeze several people at once, game over. Of course, the problem here is you can't build most of these characters with the paltry points available.

SteveN
Cryonic
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snate56 wrote:
VonDan wrote:

That's one of the parts where the movies were just silly. No bullet can penetrate Wolverine's Adamantium skull, not even an Adamantium one.

To be fair, you should run it without psionics, I mean, Professor X can freeze several people at once, game over. Of course, the problem here is you can't build most of these characters with the paltry points available.

SteveN

The only bullet I recall seeing hitting Wolverine in the head didn't actually penetrate. It knocked him out, but as the skin closed back over the wound it pushed the flattened bullet out of the way.

Savage Worlds Tales: http://www.daemonstorm.com/category/Categories/Role-playing/Savage-Worlds
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: