Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ranks of nobles in Savage Worlds rules

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kurt Wiegel
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:45 am    Post subject: Ranks of nobles in Savage Worlds rules Reply with quote

Hey all

So I'm closing in on running a SW-powered Riftwar sort of game (feist is my favorite fantisist- and the Riftwar books are preternaturally interesting- and prolific- to me.)

One thing I've been tripping over is the application of the Noble Edge- it works well for games where a lot of being noble can be handwaved but is sort of one size fits all- theres no gradation there.

Has anyone ever worked on making different leves- say Knight, Baron Count, Duke etc? should each be a seperate edge? That seems a little spendy, but there are A LOT of advantages that go with each increasing level (+2 CHA, riches, filthy rich, contacts etc).

Any thoughts on this?

Kurt
Seeker of Truth
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were doing a Savage Midkemia/Kelewan, I would make some small changes to the interaction between the Noble-ish Edges, like Noble, Rich, and Filthy Rich. I can see a wealthy merchant getting to take rich, but in that world, something like Filthy Rich is really reserved for the nobility, and I'd require Noble to take it. The progression of titles in the kingdom went something like Squire < Earl < Baron < Duke < King (with theweird middle of Prince of Krondor in the West). Noble should be something like Earl, responsible for a small, but interesting amount of land. Taking Filthy RIch would increase this to Baron. Anything beyond that should really, IMHO come from roleplaying.

As for knights, from my recollection (distant that it might be) you had professional soldiers in the Kingdom, who were not necessarily high-born, and nobles who commanded soldiers only by virtue of their title. I would want to differentiate between these. Maybe make a Knight Edge, taken if the individual is a true leader in the military. Gives them a +1 Charisma in general (considered at least a nominal member of the upper classes), increased to +2 amongst their personal command (as determined by the GM).

As a side note, as a fellow fan of Feist, I've always imagined handling Lesser Path magic as basically blend of AB(Magic) and AB(Weird Science). How are you doing it?
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Savage Mojo covered various levels of nobility-as-edges in their Suzerain book Caladon Falls. Might be some good things in there.
Full book: https://savagemojo.com/home/?p=2557
Player's Guide: https://savagemojo.com/home/?p=2327

Re: Noble. It's the High Status edge. You're well connected, making you better at talking to folks through both practice and interest in not being screwed over (+2 Charisma). Further, you have a steady supply of high income, though not necessarily high enough. These two large benefits are balanced out by major responsibilities, that just get worse as the benefits accrue (followers, favors from other nobles, high offices, etc.).
For a Minor Noble, especially one from a poor house, there are several alternative edges. Connections (favors owed and friends of the family, but no real status nor income), Rich (holdings and income but no status), "Rank" (+2 Charisma but no income), and Followers (loyal retainers, despite your lack of status and wealth). A few small changes to existing edges can give you what you're looking for.
Kurt Wiegel
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeker of Truth wrote:

As a side note, as a fellow fan of Feist, I've always imagined handling Lesser Path magic as basically blend of AB(Magic) and AB(Weird Science). How are you doing it?

The magic is one of the quirkiest parts of the setting that I've sort of dodged around. My instinct is to do the "Low magic" Kulgan etc. as the magic as presented in Solomon Kane or any of the "Power Point-less" aproaches. They'd have a pretty broad spectrum of powers, but not as many of the "Flashy" ones (Bolt, Blast etc.) The one thing that I remember Kulgan doing in the books was basically an Obscure spell of fog to hide from a band of dark path elves. I think he had a widget that helped with that too.

"High magic" is the flashier stuff the Tsuranuani Great One magic is the standard Power Point-fueled fare with an emphasis on the heavy spell slinging and energy movement/control. I DO think that power levels like Pug and Tomas are generlly out of the range of PC standards, BUT I did stat up Tomas' Valheru-powered armor and sword with Necesary Evil once. I supose, in retrospect that Pug (and maybe the Great ones in general) may be powered by the "Super Sorcery" from NE/Super Powers, but thats zany powerful stuff. Lots of examples of Pug throwing around power left, right and sideways.

So apparently I have thought about this more than I remembered. Lots of things (Transport Orbs, the patterns in houses, rifts, etc.) are GM-level powers I think, or specific powers without much latitude.

And while I'm on it, does anyone have a decent map of Krondor? I had it with the Return to Krondor game, but thats been lost to the sands of time.....
Kurt Wiegel
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other thing I was thinking about for the nobility aspect was to do a Ubiquity-powered Midkemia game, since All for One hadles noble ranks pretty well (as part of the resource mechnics). The concern I had was (1) I find Ubiquity's magic to be underwhelming and (2) I find beginning characters to be even more underwhelming. Since I don't know the system well enough to alter characters tofind the middle ground between Underwhelming and "Dear God what have I done," I'm less likely to make severe alterations there.

The "extra" rules hold up very well for most of the big combat scenes (Siege of Crydee, Armengar, etc. Savage Worlds gets us about 85% of where I want to be, but occasionally using somehting different is interesting (I've been about an inch from using A Song of Ice and Fire for a while, and Pathfinder even entered my world view recently).

Kurt
Kurt Wiegel
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeker of Truth wrote:

How did the AB Weird Science factor in?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: