Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fantasy weapon reskin

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kodyax
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:38 pm    Post subject: Fantasy weapon reskin Reply with quote

I'm contemplating a couple of things for a fantasy setting loosely based on Beasts and Barbarians and the Fantasy companion. One of the things I find myself thinking about is some druid style weapons I want some characters to have, specifically sickles and scythes.

Right now, I plan on using the stats for a short sword in SWD for sickles and the stats for a greatsword for a scythe. I'm just describing them different so there shouldn't be any problems or is there something I'm not thinking through?
Takeda
Heroic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two Words: "Why Not!" I say go for it!
Sam: "Dude, you're not gonna poke her with a stick?"
Supernatural Quotes
Kodyax
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, I really haven't seen any other fantasy type books cover it so I'm left to my own imagination. Not exactly the safest thing in the world but I'm highly creative and often pressed for time. Which is the main reason I'm starting to really come around on seriously considering Savage Worlds as an alternative to D&D.
Takeda
Heroic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kodyax wrote:
... I'm seriously considering Savage Worlds as an alternative to D&D.

Oh I totally hear yah. Go for it. Once you're comfortable with Savage Words you won't want to go back I can assure you.
Sam: "Dude, you're not gonna poke her with a stick?"
Supernatural Quotes
tigerguy786
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:31 am    Post subject: Re: Fantasy weapon reskin Reply with quote

Kodyax wrote:
Right now, I plan on using the stats for a short sword in SWD for sickles and the stats for a greatsword for a scythe. I'm just describing them different so there shouldn't be any problems or is there something I'm not thinking through?

For a Scythe, I think I'd use a Pike and give it Parry +1 and Reach instead instead of 2 hands. Also, it'd probably be cheaper than $400.

I am all for re-trapping stuff, that's the basis of much of the system after all. It's especially apparent with the magic, but Edges (and sometimes hindrances) can be treated the same way. A trained boxer would have Martial Artist as would a street fighter.
Zadmar
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:35 am    Post subject: Re: Fantasy weapon reskin Reply with quote

Kodyax wrote:

I recommend reading the section on trappings (SWD page 106). It's described as "the heart and soul of the powers system", but the same concept can also be applied to edges, races, even weapons.

There was a good thread a while ago about simplifying weapons, and it included some ideas for handling weapon trappings. I later refined the idea and turned it into the Savage Armoury weapon creation system.
VonDan
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the sickle use the stats for a scimitar

In the original D&D when the druid was added as a special class the rules said they use a “sickle*” then at the bottom of the page in foot notes it it said “*use the stats for a scimitar.” In time the foot note was forgotten and in later addition the Druid Class were given a Scimitar
xxlgeeklord
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say that the spear stats might work better for a scythe, although maybe dealing str+d8 and without the +1 Parry. However, greatsword will probably work if you want to keep it simple.
Lord Karick
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sickle I can just about get my head round in a fight, but a scythe? really? Just because it says that this is a typical druid weapon in another game, doesn't mean it's really so.
I've also tried to recreate a druid, but with more of a Celtic bent. I ended up using the Hellfrost high wizard (or whatever he's called) and simply re-skinning as a druid. Works nicely with the staff and all.
Zadmar
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, I just noticed that one of the one sheet adventures (SWD page 150) has villagers armed with scythes. They're listed as inflicting Str+d6 damage, but it's not clear whether they're hand scythes (like a sickle or kama) or larger two-handed scythes. I'd probably assume the latter, with the low stats reflecting that they're farming tools rather than weapons.

If the scythe is actually designed for combat (such as a war scythe, fauchard, etc) then it should probably be more effective. If you don't want to design your own weapons, you could perhaps base it on the halberd.
Snate56
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Realistically, I can't see a scythe as being a very good weapon. Wouldn't a curved sword of some kind be better?

Personally, all my druids just used a staff and carried a small sickle shaped knife for gathering herbs that was not for combat.

SteveN
sablemage
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have actually experimented with "fencing" using a scythe (against a cavalry sabre).

With the scythe in its L-shaped form, it was almost impossible to hit my opponent - you have to telegraph your motions too much, and he was always able to dodge. However, it was great for blocking, and the other guy didn't score any points either; I wound up holding the back of the blade out at arm's length and fending him off whenever he tried to attack - a bit like having a shield with Reach 1.

From what I read, when people historically used scythes as weapons, they remounted the blade in line with the shaft, effectively creating a wonky spear. So spear stats or something similar would work for that, although I think it should count as an improvised weapon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: