Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[TOD] Good starting adventure/mission

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Official Settings & Companions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kaspar
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:20 am    Post subject: [TOD] Good starting adventure/mission Reply with quote

My group and I are getting ready for our first dive into Tour of Darkness and I wanted to know if anyone has any good suggestions for an introdution mission?

All the players are elite.

I want to use the savage tales, but don't want to throw it right at them from the beginning.
kronovan
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your players are new to Savage Worlds as well, I‘d recommend just using the mission generator on page 73 of the book for the starting mission. If you were to manually choose a specific type, Civic Action is often good because it allows for some potential RP‘ing with the locals. You can use the Opposition table to ensure your players are up against some NVA or VC and it‘s always fun to have a some Complication thrown at them. Wink
Kaspar
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kronovan wrote:
If your players are new to Savage Worlds as well, I‘d recommend just using the mission generator on page 73 of the book. If you were to manually choose a specific type, Civic Action is often good because it allows for some potential RP‘ing with the locals. You can use the opposition table to ensure your players are up against some NVA or VC and it‘s always fun to have a some Complication thrown at them. Wink

Oh no, we have played Deadlands for a few years now and Rippers before that. I have heard that the mission generator is quite good, and that is also my initial impression of it when I have looked at it.

What I'm looking for is some original idea, that some may have come up with Very Happy
steelbrok
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't tried this but thought about having a one shot set during the French period to allow players to get used to the setting rules and then having the main campaign take place a generation later, possibly using the characters from the first campaign as contacts, revenants, parents, maybe a grizzled former legionaire who joined the marines
kronovan
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK cool. Didn‘t realize your players were experienced SW‘ers. I‘d still use the mission genereator, but I do something more challenging like a Relief mission so that the PC‘s get into the action more quickly. A note on the mission generator - it only provides a simple framework for an adventure and you still have to provide the flavor and story that supports it. I personally found it quite easy to come up with original ideas that suited the loose framework it provided. Which was a good thing, because the majority of my campaign was set in the earlier French Indochina war and there‘s only 3 adventures in the book that are applicable for that era. I‘d recommend generating a mission and see if it gets your creativity flowing.

OK if it was the 1st adventure I mignt want to throw some weirdness at the players.
So maybe...the players receive an emergency call to relieve a patrol team under heavy fire in the jungle near FFB Joan. When the players arrive the team is till under fire from a VC company. The platoon has received heavy casualties, but oddly enough many of the soldiers wounds are mauling and bites - wounds of an animalistic nature.

Only a few soldiers are alive and are too shocked to speak, but a few mumble and point towards the jungle oddly in a different direction than the VC fire. Suddenly the VC fire halts and you observe rapid movements through the foilage in their direction - worse its coming towards you. It apears to be an assault charge, but as the VC emerge into a clearing they have a look of terrror on their faces and almost run the players over and continue running helter skelter in the opposite direction. Moments later the team knows why - a squad of Ape Demons emerge from the jungle at the edge of the clearing! Good thing the team has air support this mission, but wait...the damn radio keeps cutting out on the RTO! Wink
Kaspar
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your advice Kronovan. Yeah the mission generator is a great tool for getting ideas.

That is quite a good idea, them thinking that the VC are charging but finding out that the real threat is much greater.

Tell me did you have your own overall campaign?
Kaspar
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steelbrok wrote:
I haven't tried this but thought about having a one shot set during the French period to allow players to get used to the setting rules and then having the main campaign take place a generation later, possibly using the characters from the first campaign as contacts, revenants, parents, maybe a grizzled former legionaire who joined the marines

While the French period does not really hold my interest. Your post gave me a good idea, have each player create a npc(non-soldier), which they have some kind of relationship with. I can then put them into different missions.

Thanks for the input Very Happy
kronovan
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Kaspar"]Tell me did you have your own overall campaign?[/quote]

Yep, it‘s still sitting on 1 of my USB sticks somewhere in storage. Wink My caqmpaign was set primarily around the Binh Hoa theater in 1952, which was historically quite a nasty affair in which the French had to retreat and then retake strategic objectives a few times. It also has the Black river throwing through it which sort of splits the area between the Annan and Tonkin highlands. In other words there‘s lots of possibilities geographically and thematically for adventuring there. For adventures I just ran the generator and filled in flavor based upon history and what seemed like fun. When PC‘s ranked Veteran I moved them into the deadly-narrow tracts and treacherous limestone carsks of the infamous Rural Route 4 theater in northern Tonkin.

As much as I really enjoyed running a campaign in the Indochina War, I‘d cautione against taking it on for a 1st ToD campaign. As I already mentioned, there‘s only 3 savage tales that apply to the era, so it‘s a lot of work for the GM and you really need to be comfortable with the adv generator. There‘s also quite a few French ranks missing in the book and no details on the Foreign Legion & Elite Para units. It‘s also a bitch for medivac because the French didn‘t get their Flying Banana (Sikorsky helo) until the end of the war, so if the players Medic goes down and there‘s wounded PC‘s it can be a challenge to get them to safety. There‘s also a heckuva lot missing for French vehicles (despite the extra ones in the eratta) to the extent that I found it necessary to purchase WW II for them. Thankfully the French mostly used all of the Allies WW2 leftovers, so that book made it easy to obtain stats. Wink

Last edited by kronovan on Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kaspar
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kronovan wrote:
Kaspar wrote:
Tell me did you have your own overall campaign?

Yep, it‘s still sitting on 1 of my USB sticks somewhere in storage. Wink My caqmpaign was set primarily around the Binh Hoa theater in 1952, which was historically quite a nasty affair in which the French had to retreat and then retake strategic objectives a few times. It also has the Black river throwing through it which sort of splits the area between the Annan and Tonkin highlands. In other words there‘s lots of possibilities geographically and thematically for adventuring there. For adventures I just ran the generator and filled in flavor based upon history and what seemed like fun. When PC‘s ranked Veteran I moved them into the deadly-narrow tracts and treacherous limestone carsks of the infamous Rural Route 4 theater in northern Tonkin.

As much as I really enjoyed running a campaign in the Indochina War, I‘d cautione against taking it on for a 1st ToD campaign. As I already mentioned, there‘s only 3 savage tales that apply to the era, so it‘s a lot of work for the GM and you really need to be comfortable with the adv generator. There‘s also quite a few French ranks missing in the book and no details on the Foreign & elite para units. It‘s also a bitch for medivac because the French didn‘t get their Flying Banana (Sikorsky helo) until the end of the war. There‘s also a heckuva lot missing for French vehicles (despite the extra ones in the eratta) to the extent that I found it necessary to purchase WW II for them. Thankfully the French mostly used all of the Allies WW2 leftovers, so that book made it easy to obtain stats.

The Indochina War holds no interest for me, I was just interested in hearing whether you had an overall campaign running alongside the plot point campaign Razz
kronovan
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaspar wrote:
The Indochina War holds no interest for me, I was just interested in hearing whether you had an overall campaign running alongside the plot point campaign :razz:

I had to have that for the Indochina War portion due to the lack of savage tales. By the time I got to the US portion of the campaign I was fairly burnt out on writing adventures, so I just ran the Savage Tales. I do think you‘ll get a better campaign if yor intemingle the savage tales with your own adventures and that‘s what I‘d recommend. You can also make your own missions/adventures shorter than those in the book, so if your ever time constrained in a session you can run a custom.
Jonah Hex
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just about to run a ToD game myself and I'm tempted to run an Indochina adventure with french (green) troops, crank up the difficulty (to make sure they die) and treat it like a teaser for a horror movie. Then start the US campaign, possibly with Seasoned characters, or at least keep their xp.

My only worry is that my players, who are being poached from my DnD encounters players, jokingly call me a mean DM already, and this probably wouldn't help my reputation. They do keep coming back however and always enjoy themselves.
Sadric
Heroic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a onehseet about a mosquito demon, even with battlemaps.
I really liked it as one-shot. Maybe this could be an introduction to the secret weird war.
kronovan
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonah Hex wrote:
I'm just about to run a ToD game myself and I'm tempted to run an Indochina adventure with french (green) troops, crank up the difficulty (to make sure they die) and treat it like a teaser for a horror movie.

You‘ll want to make them French Colonial Army troops, as that‘s where French n00b soldiers started in that era. The soldier templates in the book correspond more to that army. French Foreign Legion and Para troops were considerably more skilled and experienced.
Jonah Hex
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kronovan wrote:
Jonah Hex wrote:
I'm just about to run a ToD game myself and I'm tempted to run an Indochina adventure with french (green) troops, crank up the difficulty (to make sure they die) and treat it like a teaser for a horror movie.

You‘ll want to make them French Colonial Army troops, as that‘s where French n00b soldiers started in that era. The soldier templates in the book correspond more to that army. French Foreign Legion and Para troops were considerably more skilled and experienced.

Yeah, that was my intention. BTW, what have been GM's experiences with running tod? Do most people run the first two plot points adapted for a us campaign and ignore the third? Has anyone run a french game-there isn't much support for that with adventures? Has anyone done what I suggested above, using the french PPs as a prologue with other characters?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Official Settings & Companions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: