Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[SPC] toning down damage

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Official Settings & Companions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shadowdragon
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 6:38 pm    Post subject: [SPC] toning down damage Reply with quote

The way damage works in the superpower companion seems a little over the top to me. A melee damage roll of 2d12+6d6, or higher, (d12 Strength, d12 weapon, 6d6 melee attack with stackable) is absurd at any power level. Trying to handle these kinds of damage rolls for a street level campaign, yea, not going to happen. So, I would like to make damage powers work more like how damage works in every other aspect of savage worlds: increase the die type, don't increase the number of dice. For example: the Ranged Attack power gives a 2d4 damage attack at level 1, and goes up a die type every additional level (to a maximum of 2d12 at level 5). However, if I do this, what else is it going to affect? Should I increase the cost of powers such as Armour and Toughness, or reduce the maximum they can add?
Zadmar
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to check out the approach I used here.
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note that Attack, Melee caps at Five (5) dice, not 6. And any one that has spent 14+ points on an attack power should be nasty in a fight.

Quick benchmarks for consideration:
5 levels Attack, Ranged (10 points): 6d6, average 25.2 damage.
5 levels Attack, Melee (10 points): +5d6, average Strength deal 6d6, average 25.2 damage. With a maximum normal Strength, damage becomes d12+5d6 for an average of 28.1 damage.
10 levels Armor (10 points): +20 toughness, Mr. d6 Toughness 25 (20), or 29 (20) for a maximum normal Vigor character with either obese or brawny.

The balance is pretty fair. Mr. Average Armor is only Shaken by Shooter and Smacker, on average; some attacks won't even get a Shaken result and others will do better than Shaken. Mr. Strong Smacker fails to cause Shaken on Mr. Tough Armor, who has invested the same number of power and attribute points and another game mechanic to make himself more resilient.
For 10 points a character can do a ton of normal damage (not a Heavy Weapon), or have a ludicrous amount of armor. Things break down when characters start chewing up the scenery, but that's why Stackable is relatively expensive.

However, you probably don't care about any of that. You asked for suggestions about what else needs to change to match the system to your revision of the Attack powers.

5 levels of Proposal Ranged (10 points): 2d12, average 14.2 damage.
5 levels of Proposal Melee (10 points): +1d12; d6+d12 average 11.3 damage, d12+d12 average 14.2 damage.
These damages are on par with normal weapons, making full-power versions appropriate for Pulp heroes.
My suggestion is A) drop the cost of the Attack powers to 1 Point / Level, B) cap Armor and Toughness at 5 levels, C) delete the Attack, Ranged modifier Enhanced Damage, and D) keep an eye on Armor Piercing modifiers.
tigerguy786
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, don't forget about Power Limit. At Street Level the max anyone can put into a single power is 10 points, or 15 with "Best There Is". If they have Best There Is then they really should be terrifying in melee. If they don't have that edge, then they probably won't have a max damage attack.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Official Settings & Companions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: