Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[DLR] New character wanting to take Noble edge

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: The Weird West
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wibbs
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:26 am    Post subject: [DLR] New character wanting to take Noble edge Reply with quote

Hey all,

I have a new player who's character concept is a British upperclass guy who is travelling the West for adventure. He is looking to work towards getting the Agent professional Edge as he wants to become a Pinkerton. As part of this, he wants to take the Noble Edge, but having read the description I'm not sure how it would work in this case.

My understanding is that the significant perks of the Edge should be offset by have major commitments, but if the guy's money is all based in England, then I can't see how this would work.

I'm also concerned about the fact that he would get the Rich Edge for free, and the impact this would have on balance with so much money floating around to buy kit with.

The posse are just about to start the Last Sons, so will be based in and around the Disputed Territories, if that's any help.

I would appreciate other people's thoughts on this.

Wibbs
Jerome Sullivan
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a lot of stuff going on, he could have to spend a day in a week to answer telegrams, decide stuff which impacts his fortune, angered parents and siblings might show up if he dishonors the family, and if he asks for money it might take a long way from home.

Over all it could work, but one of the main benefits "noble" gives a character is the status of just being noble - which doesn't count much in the West. I would try rich if this is the benefit he wants to have ingame. No one says you can't be noble at all but if no one cares why bother taking the edge?
TheLoremaster
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: [DLR] New character wanting to take Noble edge Reply with quote

Wibbs wrote:
My understanding is that the significant perks of the Edge should be offset by have major commitments, but if the guy's money is all based in England, then I can't see how this would work.

It may not all be based in England. True wealth is usually spread among various investments and holdings, not in the form of cold hard cash.

One thing you could say is that the PC is representing his family's business holdings: investments in mining, rail yards, cattle farms, etc., spread far and wide across the West. Wherever the campaign takes them, the PC's family just happens to have a small interest in a piece of property just up the road... and since he's in the neighborhood, he's got an excuse to pop in, just to see how things are going.

That these same holdings are having problems of a supernatural bent is just a coincidence, I assure you... Wink

Wibbs wrote:
I'm also concerned about the fact that he would get the Rich Edge for free, and the impact this would have on balance with so much money floating around to buy kit with.

IME, Gear has far less importance in Savage Worlds than in other games, so having a lot of cash on hand is less important. Sure, he can buy lots of things from the S&R Catalog, but having those items get to him in time is nearly impossible, and the horrors just don't seem to show up when he's strapped and fully loaded. Instead, they tend to show up when he's sleeping ... and unarmed ... and undressed. Twisted Evil

Hope that helps!
GranFalloon
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bear in mind that Americans, even today, are still pretty enamored with royalty and nobility. When he comes to town, word may have spread that "Did you hear? The Earl of Preston is coming to our little town! Oh how exciting!" If he's young and handsome, expect hopeful young ladies hanging about all the time.

Of course, this is likely to rile some of the rougher fellows in town, who may look to start a fight. I hope he's a smooth talker.

All this should give him some difficulty in becoming an Agent, since he attracts attention. You can either hand-wave that and have him just be James Bond in the old west, or you can make him sweat it out a bit, until the Agency finally accepts him, only to stick him on "diversion duty" more often than he'd like.
Tavis
Heroic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 'Hindrance' part of the Noble Edge - the responsibilities, are key to making the Noble edge work.

If the responsibilities aren't upheld, then the perks will get lost.

A big part of his responsibilities could be 'keeping up appearances'.

The Noble edge gives a Charisma Bonus and the benefits of being Rich.

These should only apply if the Noble character is 'acting the part'. Folk aren't likely to believe that the charater is Lord Henry Fford-Jjones of the Kensington Fford-Jjones' if he's staying in the local flop-house and travelling in dusty clothes with a bunch of itinerant gunslingers.

If he comes into town on the Stage, or if available, in the first class carriage of a Train, pays to have his (considerable) baggage taken to the best hotel in town and demands the best suite ... then he'll be acting the part that folk expect of him.

Add in those business holdings his family has that he really must go and check on, and then deal with any problems (supernatural or otherwise - it could just be that the work gang is on strike and he has to negotiate on behalf of 'the owners') and while the character is getting the effects of two and a half edges (The Charisma Boost, the Rich bonus and about 'half' the Connections Edge) he'll have to work to keep hold of it all.

SWD: 50 Fathoms (GM)
Enno
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be careful, he is a viscount! - Man of the East (E poi lo chiamarono il magnifico)
Nordicnomad
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: [DLR] New character wanting to take Noble edge Reply with quote

Wibbs wrote:
Hey all,

I have a new player who's character concept is a British upperclass guy who is travelling the West for adventure. He is looking to work towards getting the Agent professional Edge as he wants to become a Pinkerton. As part of this, he wants to take the Noble Edge, but having read the description I'm not sure how it would work in this case.

The posse are just about to start the Last Sons, so will be based in and around the Disputed Territories, if that's any help.

I would appreciate other people's thoughts on this.

Wibbs

As others have mentioned, there are ways to balance the edge. 1st off is that you have to adjust for inflation.

My character is noble, and the salary is only something like $7,000 a year. But they don't start with that much. A chunk comes once a month, but time being what it is my character is almost seasoned and has yet to pass a month in game time terms.

One way to do it is have every "payday" have the stipulation that certain functions need to be performed at family holdings or involving long side trips.

The balance is that he has to be very careful not to let anyone know who he really is or else he'll have possies coming from all around to kidnap and ransom him back to his wealthy Swiss banking family. But on the plus side he has that card to play to keep him from just being executed outright by bad guys. Smile
Mgrancey
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My question would actually be on the Charisma bonus, while in higher society I could see it as a benefit. I can't see his manners being a benefit when dealing with rough and rowdy cowhands and such. Would it be unfair to increase the difficulty by an equal amount or such.

The player has made a very attractive noble female face, and we are about 1/2 way through the Flood but there are opportunities where I see this working against them. Don't want to be completely mean but I don't see the Triads, Guardian Angels, Indians, or Mexicans (as a white southern belle) caring even if the character is pretty and has manners. I don't imagine most of California caring or being effected by her manners. Well I suppose the Triads might want to grab her and make her work in a bordello, but outside of that.

For the money, they have ownership of a mine, and I plan to have that be at risk some point in the future. Which if they fail will result in the loss of the mine.
Nordicnomad
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Human psychology is interesting. We inherently trust people who dress nicely more than those who don't, don't get as mad about insults when they're stated with a mild compliment first, believe people with Faisal hair are more likely to be up to no good, and find people with the costume of authority to be more authoritative even with all other factors the same. That's where the charisma bonus comes in, IMO.

Now even if you have a bonus to peruasion, you're only going to make people slightly more helpful. Just start off npc's that character is trying to influence further down the helpfulness chart than those who aren't in groups like that if you think he's going to make a bad first impression.

And then decide if the rest of the party starts at a different level, or if they're sunk as well by association.

Example:
- bob the general store clerk starts off as helpful since the noble looks like he has money.
- sheriff joe bob is friendly because the nobleman doesn't look like trouble.
- bobby the stage coach driver isn't paid enough to give a damn and starts neutral.
- Bob wang the triad gang member doesn't trust his weird way of talking and is suspicious and starts out as uncooperative.
- Robert the biker gang member had a banker who looks just like the character foreclose on his family's farm and wants to beat the character's head in, starting as hostile.
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two big limitations on Face characters.
First, you can only increase disposition by 2 steps. If the target starts at Hostile then the best the face can do is improve him to Neutral. This is the core of Nordicnomad's excellent point.
Second, diplomacy takes time. Persuasion checks take minutes, but the target of the check doesn't have to provide that time. He can walk away, make loud noises, order an execution, or jam his sawed-off into the talker's stomach and unleash both barrels (potentially with The Drop Surprised Exclamation ).

Good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: The Weird West All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: