Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Night Train Fallout (Spoilers)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: The Weird West
View previous topic :: View next topic  
otherdoc
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:14 pm    Post subject: Night Train Fallout (Spoilers) Reply with quote

So, last night I threw a Night Train at my posse. They did all right, but I've used Night Trains a few times before and I'm starting to wonder- has there ever been a Night Train session that DOESN'T end with dynamite? Laughing

I'm also starting to wonder what the fallout will be for the posse on this one. I had the train attack Salina, Kansas (in 1879, prior to the nearby Union Blue/Black River dustup). The posse - or more specifically, one of the posse's two Mad Scientists - blew up the first sleeper car, then the engine and the coal/ghost rock car as they were pulling away from the station. No buildings were harmed much, but about four townsfolk and a horse were killed in the explosion. The remaining nosferatu slipped off into the night to find a place to hide (which will likely turn out to be a mine given how close they are to the Smoky Hills), carrying off their four remaining victims in the process. Naturally, this also tore up a decent amount of rail line.

The next time we play, the posse will likely want to try to to track down the nine nosferatu who escaped and rescue the victims they got away with. They may wait until dawn to do that, possibly. But that assumes they're able to. After all, there are townsfolk dead and missing and about 100 yards of Union Blue rail line that have been torn up - not to mention an eternally-burning ghost rock engine sitting near the town to welcome visitors with a creepy, wailing Howdy.

So, what kind of consequences is the posse looking at here, do you think? The town's Deputy witnessed everything that happened, so he knows what was going down, but there's still a lot that needs to be done in the way of cleanup at the very least. Any thoughts about what should happen next?
Ray
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either The Men In Black (Dusters) or the Texas Rangers show up with Steampunk Neuralizers. Laughing
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A "rope party". Something terrible happened in the night, and people are scared. These strangers are obviously responsible. Get 'em. Twisted Evil
The idea being to give them a great chance to RP being real heroes in a chaotic and terrifying aftermath. And to decide how much of the truth they want to share with these innocent bystanders. Or if they just want to shoot everyone in town and be branded as the murderous maniacs they are.
Either way, they'll have a permanent association with this town. Cool

There are other possibilities, but I'm a bit caught up by that one and can't currently focus on the others.
otherdoc
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ValhallaGH wrote:
A "rope party". Something terrible happened in the night, and people are scared. These strangers are obviously responsible. Get 'em. Twisted Evil
The idea being to give them a great chance to RP being real heroes in a chaotic and terrifying aftermath. And to decide how much of the truth they want to share with these innocent bystanders. Or if they just want to shoot everyone in town and be branded as the murderous maniacs they are.
Either way, they'll have a permanent association with this town. Cool

I really like this option. There will be some NPCs who saw the noseferatu and will be on the posse's side, but most of them will probably want to hang them - especially since there are many people dead or missing and the townsfolk had a chance to see posse members throwing bodies on the fire afterward (sure, they were Nosferatu bodies, but at night and from a distance, who can tell?). I'm thinking if things go south the town's Deputy may have to arrest the posse for their own protection. Laughing

Ray wrote:
Either The Men In Black (Dusters) or the Texas Rangers show up with Steampunk Neuralizers. Laughing

I like that as well, because it makes sense. I'm thinking not too long after the incident, a couple of Texas Rangers (with whom the posse are actually already acquainted) will be the first to show up because they're closer geographically to this town than the Agency. Ultimately, though, the Agency will probably HAVE to get involved because it's a Union Blue line. This also makes me wonder if I should even have the Ghost show up and start investigating because of the Union Blue connection. This could get very interesting.
otherdoc
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted you folks to know I got to see the resolution of this played out last night.

When the posse got back to town after trying to hunt down the Nosferatu, they were greeted by an angry mob. They had just enough evidence (and did just well enough on the Persuasion rolls) that they managed to talk them down. Smile

The next morning the Rangers arrived and had a nice, long chat with them about not blowing up trains right in front of towns. They then informed the posse that the Agency will likely be showing up with a cleanup crew in a day or so and that it will probably be a good idea for them to not be there when it happens.

Having just received a telegram stating that the judge they'd been scheduled to meet had gone missing in the night the next city over (Abilene), the posse elected to take the Rangers' advice and high-tail it out of there, letting the Rangers handle the hunt for the remaining Nosferatu and their victims.
jpk
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for completeness' sake, here's my two cents.

While I've not actually used a Night Train per se, the root cellar full of nosferatu, the funeral parlor full of nosferatu, and the slaughterhouse full of nosferatu did all involve dynamite. In the case of the root cellar, it was enough to cover the entire root cellar, thrown by the PC who was, you know, actually in the root cellar...
otherdoc
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heheh, that's awesome. Smile

It does seem as though Nosferatu + Confined Space = KABOOM.

You'd think the nos would eventually get wise to the whole dynamite thing what with the way posses keep using it against them.

Maybe next time I use them I should have their Ancient One be more of a strategist who has a couple of them hold back, always on hold for the express purpose of catching dynamite and throwing it back.

Or maybe I should have a mad scientist that's been turned into a nosferatu but has retained his intellect and has built a gizmo that can snuff out explosives within a certain radius... Hmm...

(Cackles diabolically and starts making notes...)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: The Weird West All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: