Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[50F] Incredibly Excited

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Official Settings & Companions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zamboni
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:42 pm    Post subject: [50F] Incredibly Excited Reply with quote

I picked up the book for 50 Fathoms at Gencon and I am preparing to run the plot point for my kids. I have read most of the Captain's Log and I couldn't be more excited to run this. Seems that the plot point is perfect for the busy GM. I can't wait to see what kind of trouble we get into.

It seems so thorough and well written. I am really impressed!
Vonether
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably the best bit of advice:
At the end of each session, always ask the group where they plan to sail to next. That way, you only have to read up on that particular port and related Savage Tales. Sometimes you might have to sketch out a map.

If you are feeling brave, read up on the whole island and see how you can sprinkle leads for each adventure.

I'd also read the overarching Plot Points and see if there are NPCs you can create/introduce early and have the PCs build a relationship with.

Otherwise, yep, 50F is tailor made for the GM with a busy schedule and great imagination.
samuraicrab
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is more advice. FORGET ABOUT CAROUSING AND CABIN FEVOR! Making kids go out drinking is a bad idea. Just let them skip over it entirely.
GranFalloon
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

samuraicrab wrote:
Making kids go out drinking is a bad idea.

Ooh... Whoops.
TheLoremaster
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GranFalloon wrote:
samuraicrab wrote:

Ooh... Whoops.

Why? How else are you gonna get the little buggers to fall asleep? Wink ;D

But, seriously, folks: if your group is anything like mine, you'll probably have one hot-shot ship pilot with a high Boating Skill and all the Boating Edges. I don't think the Cabin Fever rules came up even once. They never went more than 3-4 days without making port somewhere, much less than the 30 days it takes to trigger Cabin Fever.

I wouldn't worry about it.
Tavis
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheLoremaster wrote:
GranFalloon wrote:
samuraicrab wrote:

Ooh... Whoops.

Why? How else are you gonna get the little buggers to fall asleep? Wink ;D

But, seriously, folks: if your group is anything like mine, you'll probably have one hot-shot ship pilot with a high Boating Skill and all the Boating Edges. I don't think the Cabin Fever rules came up even once. They never went more than 3-4 days without making port somewhere, much less than the 30 days it takes to trigger Cabin Fever.

I wouldn't worry about it.

Making port only counts if they carouse - if they just make port, then sail on without carousing the days towards Cabin Fever keep on counting up ...

SWD: 50 Fathoms (GM)
SavageGamerGirl
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And there are benefits to carousing that go beyond relieving cabin fever. If you spend a week carousing, you get a +1 to Streetwise checks while you're in that port (to a maximum of +2). When it comes time to sell unusual cargo, or ask around for information, that bonus could come in handy.
Vonether
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GranFalloon wrote:
samuraicrab wrote:

Ooh... Whoops.

So some alternatives:
  • A "Trade House" where people go to meet to sell cargo and make deals.
  • If you make them work for the EIBC, then have them go to a tea house instead.
  • Or send them to a Coffee Cafe and tell them it's like a Starbucks, though the mental image I have of a 50F Starbucks is amusing.
  • Make the warf district sound like one of those big truck stops. Sailors buy bric-brac, eat pancakes and play chess all day.
[/list]
TheLoremaster
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tavis wrote:
Making port only counts if they carouse - if they just make port, then sail on without carousing the days towards Cabin Fever keep on counting up ...

I suppose you could read it that way; I think I might have interpreted that passage differently. In any case, I think it's safe enough to ignore that rule.

Another good question: how old are the kids we're talking about? I think 10+ should be savvy enough to understand what "carousing" is meant to emulate.
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or change it from Cabin Fever to Canned Fever.

They only have pickled and other preserved food to eat on ship, and if they don't stop to eat fresh food, fruits, and vegetables, they will get weaker and weaker.

Throw in that lesson on the importance of eating right. Wink

www.peginc.com
JackMann
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or just say that they go out and see the sights. The important thing is that they get off the ship, stretch out, and let loose a bit. Might need to change the carousing rules a bit, but not too much.
GranFalloon
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, they just blow 1d6 X 5 Pieces of Eight on bubblegum, candy and baseball cards.
MagusRogue
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

... Kids still buy baseball cards these days? #1eek13 My experiences with kids have been Pokemon and MtG cards...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sitting Duck
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vonether wrote:
Or send them to a Coffee Cafe and tell them it's like a Starbucks, though the mental image I have of a 50F Starbucks is amusing.

I don't know. IIRC coffee houses of that time period weren't exactly wholesome places.
zamboni
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. My kids are 10, 12, & 14 so we will certainly take carousing a different direction. I like the coffee house idea and I think that they would see going to a tavern to get food and drinks more like getting a burger and come as opposed to getting sloshed on ale and getting some "action".
Captain_Sabatini
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sitting Duck wrote:
Vonether wrote:
Or send them to a Coffee Cafe and tell them it's like a Starbucks, though the mental image I have of a 50F Starbucks is amusing.

I don't know. IIRC coffee houses of that time period weren't exactly wholesome places.

Yeah, activities like insurance transactions.
velikch
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vonether wrote:
GranFalloon wrote:
samuraicrab wrote:

Ooh... Whoops.

So some alternatives:
  • A "Trade House" where people go to meet to sell cargo and make deals.
  • If you make them work for the EIBC, then have them go to a tea house instead.
  • Or send them to a Coffee Cafe and tell them it's like a Starbucks, though the mental image I have of a 50F Starbucks is amusing.
  • Make the warf district sound like one of those big truck stops. Sailors buy bric-brac, eat pancakes and play chess all day.
[/list]

Sorry, had to mention that half of this post can be summed up to scenes from Escape from Monkey Island for PC.

Starbuccaneers:

Pirates Playing (Insult) Chess:

My group is trying out 50 Fathoms for the first time (we're starting in about 2 months when we finish Rippers), but I think I may just offer my group a homebrew Monkey Island variant to follow the 50 Fathoms campaign I've already put together (they've already created 50 Fathoms characters, I've already written up much of the campaign, so I don't think anyone wants to ditch our 50 Fathoms game for something different).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Official Settings & Companions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: