Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Firefly/Serenity questions
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sushi
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far, I'm just using the SWD equipment list, and mostly ignoring the out-of-setting names for the guns. I added a couple types of armor, though, since the standard list is pretty thin in that department (I also got rid of the special Kevlar anti-AP ability since it's too confusing).

As far as travel, pay, maintenance, etc... so far, I'm just winging it. We'll see how that goes. Before the players worry about any of that, they need to retake their ship from the unknown enemy that has it besieged in the spaceport. Very Happy
cbooth
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Sushi: I'd like to see the types of armor you've come up with. Smile

I've done a mish-mash gear list compiled from SWD and the original Serenity rpg. As I've mentioned before, I've condensed the ranged weapons to Pistol (light, medium, heavy), Rifle (normal, assault, sniper), SMG, and Shotgun. I made a few adjustments for armor, and converted a few as well:

Armored Duster
+1 Covers T,A,L

Ballistic Mesh
+1/+2 Covers T,A,L negates 2 AP

Vacc Suit
+1 Covers T,A,L,H -2 Agi-based tests
Sushi
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cbooth wrote:
@ Sushi: I'd like to see the types of armor you've come up with. Smile

Nothing complicated, see the table here:
http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/you-can-t-take-the-sky-from-me/wikis/equipment
cbooth
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Introduction adventure is now complete!
Made some more adjustments on the equipment side of things, as well as some house rules. The group adjusted to SW very easily, and combat flowed well (albeit deadly). Now I'm drafting a few jobs for the crew to do, and I need to come up with payment for said jobs. After paying off the crew, port fees, fuel and so on, not much left afterwards. Normally I'd just hand wave some of the costs, but my players are very interested in the minutae of ship econonomics. Need to find that sweet spot of not too much, but not starving them at the same time. That's more of a trial and error scenario on my part, but hopefully I'll get it right sooner rather than later. Wink
I was thinking about creating an ongoing report in the Game Stories section, if people are interested.
Enno
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They earn just enough doe to keep their enterprise running. No need to go into minute detail, like Trading rules and such. Serenity for me is a setting of action, not of micromanaging my ship. It's a western in space!
cbooth
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enno wrote:
They earn just enough doe to keep their enterprise running. No need to go into minute detail, like Trading rules and such. Serenity for me is a setting of action, not of micromanaging my ship. It's a western in space!

I agree with this philosophy, but unfortunately my players don't. They enjoy the story and RP aspects of the game, but also like to see some type of return for all of their hard work. I guess I could gloss over the details of buying fuel, port fees, etc., but I want to include ship maintenance, only to give the engineer some time to shine. I was considering the TC rules from Savage Space, but I'm not sure if that's the way to go. If I did incorporate those rules, I'd have to cut down on the price.
SeeleyOne
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All they are is notes at this point, but I have thought about the "wealth levels" and how they affect the game. Savage Worlds has four levels of Wealth: Poverty, "default", Rich, and Filthy Rich.

I figure that wealth levels are a relative lifestyle. The problem comes when you have a poor person that acquires money or a rich person wants to buy a kingdom. Some systems have come up with a die roll mechanic, which may or may not work.

The easiest way to have it come into a game is by hsving a wealth level giving a free lunch. A character with Poverty gets nothing for free, and has to track every expense. A character without a Hindrance nor an edge has the "default" wealth. In this case the character can spend X amount of money and not deduct the amount that is on the character sheet. It would pay for the basic life expenses, and maybe a bit of an allowance built in. The problem is that I never figured out how much money was reasonable, and I never figured out how much of an allowance that would be. A character with Rich would get more money (x2), and a character with Filthy Rich would get even more (x4).

I know that the book says x3 and x5, but that is starting money, and Poverty gives no allownace instead of half.

To be evil is to live backwards
Enno
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cbooth wrote:
Enno wrote:

I agree with this philosophy, but unfortunately my players don't. They enjoy the story and RP aspects of the game, but also like to see some type of return for all of their hard work. I guess I could gloss over the details of buying fuel, port fees, etc., but I want to include ship maintenance, only to give the engineer some time to shine. I was considering the TC rules from Savage Space, but I'm not sure if that's the way to go. If I did incorporate those rules, I'd have to cut down on the price.

Introduction: "[...]Out here, people struggled to get by with the most basic technologies; a ship would bring you work, a gun would help you keep it. A captain's goal was simple: find a crew, find a job, keep flying."

That is the mantra of the game. The crew just gets enough money for their jobs - any job they are paid for - to keep everybody paid and the ship flowing. Money is just a tool, that doesn't have to be quantiefied. It's the job, the adventure that counts, not how much they get out of it, since every time they think to have hit the mother load they loose it to another, more powerful crook or to the goverment.

Yes, there are fees, crew salaries, credits, fuel and maintenance costs, costs for supplies, spare parts and other business expenses (bribes etc), but who really cares.

An engineer doesn't shine by paying the maintenance bills, but by keeping the machinery running and getting the most out of it in an emergency, like fleeing from the Reevers or the Alliance Fleet.

A captain shines not by paying the bills on time, but by getting the job, finding a crew for it and getting paid in the end to "keep flyin'".

You are not the typical crew of a subsidized freighter runnig the same course year after year, but drifters on the edge that have to fight for their hard earned money.

That's the pitch of Serenity/Firefly

They don't have to know exactly how much everything costs, only how much the next job brings.
solabusca
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way back in the old days, I'd posted a thread called KEF: Firefly Economics made FFF, wherein myself and other luminaries of the day hammered out a system for keeping things interesting AND having a draw-based adventure generator all in one. The thread was so good that it's still kicking around in the archives, six years on.

If I'm not mistaken, Chaosmeister has a variation on it in his Savage Space supplement.

Good stuff for a Firefly campaign, is what I'm saying.

.j.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: