Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NE I must be running it wrong

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Official Settings & Companions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lute408
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:30 pm    Post subject: NE I must be running it wrong Reply with quote

TPK by a long shot in the first battle. There were still 3 drones left.

Their heavy blaster is confusing. It recharges at the rate of 3/round, can you actually shoot more than 3 in a round?
Damage 1-3d6. So is it 1d6, 2d6, or 3d6? Is it 3d6 at range of 15 or less, 2d6 and 30, 1d6 at 60? And man, AP 8. Basically any of my PCs armor meant nothing and 3d6 damage (many times with a raise) was making every shot a shaken and wound (I was getting like 17 total and they're toughness was between 4-6).

3 of them had not taken up Dr Destruction's offer and were in the cells. Getting them out of the cells through force was neigh impossible and lockpicking was only possible because a character had interface. Every time the drones went they just annihilated everyone. Had the first round drones stunned and even didn't bring in the other 8 till third round.

When you shoot it's a 4 to hit, when melee it's hit their Parry. Vibro-Claws do d8+2 damage.

Oh also, the toughness of the cells were 30 (15), does that mean 15 toughness with 15 armor? If so, that's nuts.
TheLoremaster
Legendary

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: NE I must be running it wrong Reply with quote

lute408 wrote:
Their heavy blaster is confusing. It recharges at the rate of 3/round, can you actually shoot more than 3 in a round?

Nope. The Heavy Blaster carries 20 shots, and recharges 3 shots per round. Think of it that the Drones automatically reload 3 shots a turn for free.
lute408 wrote:
Damage 1-3d6. So is it 1d6, 2d6, or 3d6? Is it 3d6 at range of 15 or less, 2d6 and 30, 1d6 at 60?

Huh?? I'm not sure where you're getting that. The Drone's Heavy Blaster does 3d6 damage, period.

lute408 wrote:
And man, AP 8.

Uh, that Heavy Blaster should only have AP: 4. Pretty good, but no way should it be 8.

I'm not sure which version you're looking at, but those are the stats I'm seeing in the Explorer's Edition. Maybe you've got a weird printing?

lute408 wrote:
Oh also, the toughness of the cells were 30 (15), does that mean 15 toughness with 15 armor? If so, that's nuts.

Well, that's correct. Remember, these are cells designed to hold supers. They shouldn't be easy to break out of.
Zadmar
Legendary

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lute408 wrote:

They can Double Tap with +1 ammo for +1 to hit and damage, and they can Overcharge (treats it as a Heavy Weapon) for triple the ammo usage. So if they're doing both, that uses 6 shots worth of ammo.

lute408 wrote:
Damage 1-3d6. So is it 1d6, 2d6, or 3d6? Is it 3d6 at range of 15 or less, 2d6 and 30, 1d6 at 60? And man, AP 8.

Sounds like you're using an old version of NE. As TheLoremaster mentioned, the blaster does 3d6 damage with AP 4.

lute408 wrote:
3 of them had not taken up Dr Destruction's offer and were in the cells.

Minor nitpick, but technically if they refused his offer they'd be dead.

That said, the effectiveness of your players is going to depend heavily on how they've been designed. I ran NE with 4 players and they didn't have any trouble, I've also tested the first adventure with my robot cat character and he solo'd it with relative ease.

You've said your PCs had a Toughness of 4-6; an average human with no special training or abilities has Toughness 5. You've also said the TN to hit with ranged weapons was 4 - that means not only did your players have no defences against ranged attacks, but they also failed to drop prone or use any cover.

Perhaps you could list the stats of your PCs? If they've built very weak characters, you will need to tone down the difficulty. And if they're not playing tactically, you may need to give them some pointers.
lute408
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

4 players, 3 have played with me in SW doing a homebrew zombie game in which they were ubre and I couldn't hit them to save my life (zombies with d6 fighting missed a lot). I have Super Karma, so you may see 15-20 points worth in powers. Also they spent a lot of points in HQ. The first I'm posting joined us late-game and didn't come up with a name yet.

"Bob" Atlantian
Agility d8, Smarts d8, Spirit d4, Strength d4, Vigor d8
Skills: Fighting d10, Lockpicking d8, Shooting d8 (not posting rest cause I found he has way too many points in skills, but those are the important ones)
Pace 6, Parry 7, Toughness 6
No gear bought yet, I suggested armor.
Powers: Interface w/ Code Breaker (3), Illusion w/ Film Quality (3), Invent (12). He brought a Force Control device (wants to be Green Lantern like)
He hadn't decided on Edges or Hindrances yet

Jeroy Lenkins Human
Agility d8, Smarts d6, Spirit d8, Strength d4, Vigor d6
Skills: Shooting d10, Repeair d6, Taunt d6, Survival d6
Pace 6, Parry 2, Toughness 5
Gear: Ak-47 is all that matters 2d10+1 AP 2
Powers: Mind Reading (3), Invent (2), Awareness (2), Heightened senses (1), Gifted (1)
Edges: Two fisted, Quick draw

Mastermind Human
Agility d4, Smarts d8, Spirit d10, Strength d4, Vigor d4
Skills: Shooting d6, Fighting d4 (rest doesn't matter)
Pace 6, Parry 4, Toughness 4
Edges: Command, Filthy Rich
Powers Minion (7), Vehicle (3), Gifted (1)
2 minions, 1 with Damage Field and Attack Melee, both at level 1, uses vibrosword, has Combat Armor +2. The other Fly (1), Attack Ranged (1), uses heavy sniper rifle, has Combat Armor +2.
His actual character has a Force belt +1, but that's pretty much it.
lute408
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whops, and 4th character who didn't get out of jail for a LOOONG time because they were getting Mastermind's minions out instead of him.

Alpha 2-4 Human (w/Construct power)
Agility d8, Smarts d8, Spirit d4, Strength d8, Vigor d6
Skills: Fighting d10, Notice d8, Know Electronics d8, Repair d8, Know V'sori d4
Powers: Ageless w/ Ancient (2), Attack Melee (2), Interface w/Code breaker (3), Construct (5), Gifted (1)

Last edited by lute408 on Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:32 am; edited 1 time in total
lute408
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah...I think I have an old version. Blast, I may have to buy the pdf for the new one since I can't find a hard copy for less than $30 used.
The copy I have is copyrighed at 2004.
They had 4 drones, then in a couple rounds had 8 more drones. Is that right?
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The current version: http://www.peginc.com/product-category/necessary-evil/
It's currently out of print (there are rumors of an update), or I'd link you to a place to buy a new physical copy (about $15 for the softback).

It sounds like you have the first printing. Which had some ... issues. Those have been cleared up in the latest edition (except for the Ktharen's; the fins' toughness is 2 higher than it should be because armor does not stack).

Assorted PEG tools: http://www.peginc.com/shop/necessary-evil/

Good Luck!
Zadmar
Legendary

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lute408 wrote:
Whops, and 4th character who didn't get out of jail for a LOOONG time because they were getting Mastermind's minions out instead of him.

He had Code Breaker, couldn't he have got himself out?

But looking at the characters, I'm honestly surprised they managed to take out as many drones as they did before they died.

I guess Bob could have dropped a solid illusion over the top of Jeroy (who has Awareness and could therefore see through it), giving the drones a -6 penalty to their attacks against him. But apart from that, they seem to have very few combat abilities.

Although there are certainly plenty of opportunities for planning and subterfuge, NE is (overall) a very combat-intensive campaign; the PCs are on the front line, fighting to save the world. The players don't all have to be pure combat monsters, but they should all be able to at least contribute to a fight in some role.
Thunderforge
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lute408 wrote:
I can't find a hard copy for less than $30 used.

The first edition was the only version in hardback, which was designed for Savage Worlds Revised and, to my knowledge, only had one printing. The Explorer's Edition is the more recent version and it was only published in the smaller, "Explorer's Edition size" softbound book. As ValhallaGH noted, Pinnacle has said they are planning on doing a reprint with errata included and a few of the additions from the Super Powers Companion. No word yet on when that will be released though.

The Elder Scrolls conversion and other fun creations.
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ValhallaGH wrote:
It sounds like you have the first printing. Which had some ... issues.

Actually, it's not even the first "printing." The only way to have those stats is to have the initial PDF release because all of those Drone issues were fixed before the book was printed.

If you got that PDF from a seller within the last, well, 7 or 8 years, shoot me a private message and let me know who it was. Otherwise, you should be able to go back and get the updated version from them, which would at least help some.

www.peginc.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Official Settings & Companions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: