Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[GMG] IZ 2.0 kick starter input!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Licensees
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Custom Flash drive shape: Grenade, or Hand Gun?
Grenade
47%
 47%  [ 10 ]
Hand Gun
23%
 23%  [ 5 ]
Other? (Please elaborate)
28%
 28%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 21

DavidJ
Heroic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:15 am    Post subject: [GMG] IZ 2.0 kick starter input! Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

I'm starting this thread to solicit input from ya'll. I want to make sure that we're coming up with cool stuff for funding levels and especially stretch goals; things that you might want to see this kick starter provide!

So please, feel free to post with any input. This kick starter is all about coming up with great stuff! It's not_just_about the second edition, which will be fantastic, BTW.

I've added a poll, please vote on what type of custom flash drive sounds coolest to you.

Thanks for your time.
greyseerco
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the current workday/school non-violence environment, while a violence themed Flashdrive is appropriate to IZ, it may cause trouble to those sensitive to the issue.
Are you saying the drive is the shape of a grenade/gun or just has the image stamped on the flashdrive - If the latter I have not issue, if the former may I suggest something with a circuitry motiff instead.
DavidJ
Heroic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

greyseerco wrote:
Looking at the current workday/school non-violence environment, while a violence themed Flashdrive is appropriate to IZ, it may cause trouble to those sensitive to the issue.
Are you saying the drive is the shape of a grenade/gun or just has the image stamped on the flashdrive - If the latter I have not issue, if the former may I suggest something with a circuitry motiff instead.

These would be custom designs, so yes, a grenade would look like a grenade, a hand gun like a hand gun.

Sheesh, I must be getting old. I remember when I could go into stores with a my fake army rifles and nobody would even look in my direction. Smile

Circuitry_might_be interesting, but that's a pretty general term.
kronovan
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me a handgun and grenade seem a bit generic for a setting like IZ where you have some very cool, off the beaten path gear. Not sure if this would be possible for the company that would create the mold, but an IZ TAP would be a cool design for a USB stick. If that's too complicated, an Integrated Ciruit chip with 1 end lodged into a brain could be cool too.
DavidJ
Heroic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kronovan wrote:
To me a handgun and grenade seem a bit generic for a setting like IZ where you have some very cool, off the beaten path gear. Not sure if this would be possible for the company that would create the mold, but an IZ TAP would be a cool design for a USB stick. If that's too complicated, an Integrated Ciruit chip with 1 end lodged into a brain could be cool too.

Cool Ideas!
DavidJ
Heroic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It must be said though, the neat thing about a grenade USB drive is you can "pull the pin" when you remove the drive's Cap Wink
JackMann
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone was asking KS advice on Something Awful yesterday. Here's the advice I gave him:

Quote:
One of the best things you can do is keep the communication up as the Kickstarter goes on. Make updates as new information comes in. Possibly keep some information in reserve for future updates. The idea is to keep the backers excited and thinking about your Kickstarter. Answer questions. Make it clear that you're involved. Come up with more stretch goals than you're ever likely to reach. You don't have to lay them out from the start, but have them on the backburner, so you can pull them out as things go by. One of the best things Reaper did was only revealing the next few stretch goals. This way, every time a new stretch goal was reached, something new was revealed, generating excitement among the backers, and giving them more impetus to try and get more people involved.

If you keep your backers interested, not only will that get them more invested in the project (and likely to increase their pledge level), but it will get them to tell their friends. Done right, the backers will do much of your advertising for you.

Mind, don't count on the backers alone. Get the word out. Generate buzz. Try and get people to blog about it. Buy ads on the big gaming sites. If no one knows about your project, no one's going to pledge.
DavidJ
Heroic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JackMann wrote:
Someone was asking KS advice on Something Awful yesterday. Here's the advice I gave him:

Quote:
One of the best things you can do is keep the communication up as the Kickstarter goes on. Make updates as new information comes in. Possibly keep some information in reserve for future updates. The idea is to keep the backers excited and thinking about your Kickstarter. Answer questions. Make it clear that you're involved. Come up with more stretch goals than you're ever likely to reach. You don't have to lay them out from the start, but have them on the backburner, so you can pull them out as things go by. One of the best things Reaper did was only revealing the next few stretch goals. This way, every time a new stretch goal was reached, something new was revealed, generating excitement among the backers, and giving them more impetus to try and get more people involved.

If you keep your backers interested, not only will that get them more invested in the project (and likely to increase their pledge level), but it will get them to tell their friends. Done right, the backers will do much of your advertising for you.

Mind, don't count on the backers alone. Get the word out. Generate buzz. Try and get people to blog about it. Buy ads on the big gaming sites. If no one knows about your project, no one's going to pledge.

Great Advice! Thanks so very much for sharing!
gandhirrea
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A miniature version of the hyper glove would be appropriate for a usb device. Just make sure to include an LED or two to make it look more the part!

IZ miniatures would be a nice stretch incentive (even if they are just cardboard with plastic bases).

IZ-themed dice would also be a solid choice (specifically six sided for wild dice with an IZ inspired image on the 6 side)

I'm really looking forward to IZ 2.0 and a color print version is even better. I'll definately be pledging for a copy!

P.S. Whatever design you decide on for the flash drive it would be helpful to include a short usb extension cord. With this we can use our awesome IZ flash drive in cramped usb ports.
steelbrok
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to second the hyper glove as a usb
Jordan Peacock
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were going to get a non-weapon item that looks like a weapon, I'd want it to look clearly in the sci-fi/cyberpunk realm of things. Make it some futuristic bullpup railgun-whatever design with a place for an ammo readout on the side, something to represent smart-jacks, maybe even with a chain bayonet on it. ;D

Anyway, as for stuff that I could use from a Kickstarter tied to an RPG ... hmm. In no particular order:

1) Full-color map tiles. Color map tiles can be a great way to set the scene in a fairly low-budget way.

2) Miniatures. Again, as someone else suggested, if 3D miniatures aren't practical, some flats/stand-ups might be nice. Maybe a futuristic papercraft vehicle. I like papercraft. Smile

3) Custom Bennies. Or, a pre-printed sheet of Benny stickers that you can apply to poker chips yourself from your local department store. Bennies are among the things that are pretty easily "customized" to a game.

4) Cards. Genre-appropriate action cards. Setting-specific Adventure Deck cards. Or maybe some sort of card tie-in that's useful for the setting in particular -- like, say, some "gear cards" with gear art from the book and some handy quick-ref stats. Or "adversary cards" with quick-stats on one side and a character or creature illustration from the book on the other. I like cards; they're nice, tangible, potentially colorful, and fairly easy portable.

5) Soundtrack/ambient MP3s. For home games, I occasionally put in CDs that just have sound effects (ocean, creepy dungeon sound effects, deep jungle noises, thunderstorm, ethereal wind chimes, etc.) or else some kind of theme music (Pirates of the Caribbean soundtracks on loop for a Pirates RPG game) for the background. For a futuristic setting, I'm sure some sort of generic techno/synth track would work great. I'd love a loop-able sound-effect MP3 for "futuristic city" with city noises and the occasional anti-grav vehicle buzzing by, alarms in the distance, etc. Very Happy

Last edited by Jordan Peacock on Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
DavidJ
Heroic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gandhirrea wrote:
A miniature version of the hyper glove would be appropriate for a usb device. Just make sure to include an LED or two to make it look more the part!

IZ miniatures would be a nice stretch incentive (even if they are just cardboard with plastic bases).

IZ-themed dice would also be a solid choice (specifically six sided for wild dice with an IZ inspired image on the 6 side)

I'm really looking forward to IZ 2.0 and a color print version is even better. I'll definately be pledging for a copy!

P.S. Whatever design you decide on for the flash drive it would be helpful to include a short usb extension cord. With this we can use our awesome IZ flash drive in cramped usb ports.

Great idea!! I'll contact the company soon and see if they can do that sort of thing.
DavidJ
Heroic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jordan Peacock wrote:
If I were going to get a non-weapon item that looks like a weapon, I'd want it to look clearly in the sci-fi/cyberpunk realm of things. Make it some futuristic bullpup railgun-whatever design with a place for an ammo readout on the side, something to represent smart-jacks, maybe even with a chain bayonet on it. ;D

Agreed Smile

Interested in doing figure flats? I've already planned on asking you because I have two sets I want to do for this kickstarter... but I'll just go ahead and put you on the spot now.
gandhirrea
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd also like to add that simply getting my name in print as a contributer in the back of the book is a huge incentive to pledge
DavidJ
Heroic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gandhirrea wrote:
I'd also like to add that simply getting my name in print as a contributer in the back of the book is a huge incentive to pledge

In the back of the book? wow. I can put you in the back of the book if you want, but everyone else is going in the front, Wink
gandhirrea
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, even better!

I've also seen other RPGs on kickstarter entice larger pledges by naming major NPCs after the pledger (in this case it could be a corporation, a brand of mech, a model of hover vehicle, an A.I., etc).
DavidJ
Heroic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gandhirrea wrote:
Haha, even better!

I've also seen other RPGs on kickstarter entice larger pledges by naming major NPCs after the pledger (in this case it could be a corporation, a brand of mech, a model of hover vehicle, an A.I., etc).

Yep. I have a bunch of ideas for that.

I'm also looking into the possibility of having a higher end pledge get a custom-made hyper glove (not functional, of course),

At one of the highest pledges, (Corporate Mogul) you get free print and PDF products for a year!
DavidJ
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More updates.

I'm going to look into doing an explorers edition of IZ 2.0 as a stretch goal.

I'm also planning on doing miniatures as stretch goals as well.
Jordan Peacock
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thurak wrote:
More updates.

I'm going to look into doing an explorers edition of IZ 2.0 as a stretch goal.

I'm also planning on doing miniatures as stretch goals as well.

Huzzah! Explorer's Editions are VERY handy to have at the table, especially for games where I want to have some loaner copies on the table for players. But miniatures particularly interest me. Smile

I'm about to wrap up my pirates campaign and start up a zombie-apocalypse game at my Friendly Local Game Store, but I've already got a couple of requests that my NEXT campaign after that be cyberpunk/sci-fi -- so this is the sort of thing that's on my interest list right now. (I've had several people at the store point me to Infinity, but the prices for that are too steep for my tastes. Reaper Chronoscope is more my pace.)

Back to brainstorming on Kickstarter goals:
Index Tabs for IZ 2.0 Books:
I don't know about anyone else, but when I pick up a game book and want to run a campaign, a big help I've found is to go through the book and identify the major chapters, pages with important charts, where the break point is for "GM ONLY" material, etc., and then pick up some adhesive index tabs at the department store or office supply store, and tab the pages.

Sample:

A typical format for these things is to have a plastic piece that adheres to the pages, but has room for a paper insert that tear off a perforated strip, and hand-write to insert. In a perfect, user-friendly world, I think it'd be great to get a book that already has such tabs attached, but as a compromise, it'd be nice to have a pack of those tabs that I can apply myself, but the perforated label strip has been pre-printed on one side with book-specific labels (e.g., EDGES, VEHICLES, GEAR, GM ONLY, BESTIARY) and in smaller print the appropriate page number in the corner of each tab. Then, it would just be a simple matter for me to tear out the strips, insert them into the plastic tab-holder, and apply it to the page indicated. Voila! Thumb-tabbed IZ book for quick in-game reference.

Downside: This is a bit of a "do-it-yourself" deal, and I figure likely to be too much hassle to most folks -- and it seems like the sort of thing that would cost a lot extra to have pre-fabricated. I don't know that my players give much thought to the tabs, but they definitely USE them once they're applied.

Low-Budget Alternative Idea: Cool-looking IZ bookmarks? ;D Color-coded margins?
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool ideas! Thanks Jordan. I'll look into it.

This morning, my wife suggested that I look into custom covers for Lap Tops and IPADS and such, so I'm going to look into that as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Licensees All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: