Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Blog article I wrote about converting races

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mancario
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:44 am    Post subject: Blog article I wrote about converting races Reply with quote

hello people,

I've been lurking on the boards here for a while. I've decided to start a blog about gaming, dealing mostly with Savage Worlds to start with. My first entry is about converting races to Savage Worlds with two examples from Dark Sun.

Comments and feedback (about the blog or the article) would be appreciated.

cheers!
Zadmar
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been converting races myself recently (from Eberron) and would be interested to read your approach. Could you provide a link to your blog?
Mancario
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:08 am    Post subject: oops! Reply with quote

Sorry about that hhahaaha Razz

http://mancario.blogspot.de/

I was paying too much attention to the writing and forgot the most important part Razz
Zadmar
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good post, in particular:

"What you want to do is capture the spirit or essence of the race. You do not want to convert every small things directly."

That's something a lot of people forget, and it can turn the process into a real chore.

I noticed you balanced your races at +2, which is the common approach, but personally I find it easier to balance all the races at +4 if some of them are quite complex (such as your Thri-Kreen example). I think this is worth considering in situations where you're struggling to get the race down to +2.

I also find it can be worth looking through other setting books to see if there are similar races. For example Evernight has a race of four-armed insect-like creatures, and their four arms are effectively handled as a trapping for Frenzy, Improved Frenzy and Block. I've heard of other people using Sweep to represent multiple limbs, and some people take it a step further still, using the Super Powers Companion as a sort of advanced race creation tool.

The trapping approach can also be used to offset certain costs. For example I would be inclined to make +1 armour "free" due to the limitation of them being unable to wear any other armour. Combining pros and cons into a single ability can help streamline the races.

I also noticed you listed the natural weapon damage as "Str+1", so I presume you're using an older version of the rules? In SWEX/SWD that would probably be Str+d6.
Sitting Duck
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zadmar wrote:
I also noticed you listed the natural weapon damage as "Str+1", so I presume you're using an older version of the rules? In SWEX/SWD that would probably be Str+d6.

Actually, it should be Str+d4. Str+2 becomes Str+d6, and so on.
Zadmar
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sitting Duck wrote:
Zadmar wrote:

Right, but the "Natural Weapons" +1 racial ability in SWD (and the FC for that matter) gives Str+d6 damage, and his Thri-Kreen race balances out with the natural weapons valued at +1.

EDIT: Although SWEX treats them as Str+d4. I wonder why that was changed for SWD...
kronovan
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zadmar wrote:
Sitting Duck wrote:
Zadmar wrote:

Right, but the "Natural Weapons" +1 racial ability in SWD (and the FC for that matter) gives Str+d6 damage, and his Thri-Kreen race balances out with the natural weapons valued at +1.

The formula for coverting the legacy weapon bonus to the new secondary dice is: (Original Weapon Bonus + 1) x 2. And yes Natural Weapons grants a damage of STR+d6.

Quote:
EDIT: Although SWEX treats them as Str+d4. I wonder why that was changed for SWD...

I don't know of any natural weapon value in SWEX. As well, most beasts in the SWEX beastiary with the exception of those with a -1 size or less, have natural weapons that grant STR+d6 or better. Were you perhaps meaning the Fantasy Companion?

I haven't read the blog yet, but will do when I get a chance.
Zadmar
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kronovan wrote:
I don't know of any natural weapon value in SWEX.

Page 135. Races get one major ability (described as being comparable with an edge) or two minor abilities, and these are nearly identical to +2 and +1 racial abilities in SWD. One of the minor abilities is "natural weapons (Str+d4)".

kronovan wrote:
As well, most beasts in the SWEX beastiary with the exception of those with a -1 size or less, have natural weapons that grant STR+d6 or better.

Natural weapons for animals seem to be based on their size. As far as I can tell, it seems to go like this for the more aggressive animals:

Size -2 (or lower): Str
Size -1: Str+d4
Medium: Str+d6
Large+: Str+d8

The warhorse is one die step behind for its size, perhaps its aggression has to be trained? Regular horses, and mules, inflict only Str damage. Snakes also inflict only Str damage when they bite, perhaps because the bite itself isn't supposed to kill?

Difficult to say for sure, I suspect much of it was based on gut instinct, but (at least for the more aggressive animal types) there's a definite pattern.
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zadmar wrote:

Right, but the "Natural Weapons" +1 racial ability in SWD (and the FC for that matter) gives Str+d6 damage, and his Thri-Kreen race balances out with the natural weapons valued at +1.[/quote]

SWD grants natural weapons that do Str+d6 like claws, but that's still limited to two attacks a round. Look at the Saurian example in SWD and you'll see they have Str+d4 natural weapons, but can attack with claws, bite, and a tail slap.

Str+d4 sounds right for Thri-Kreen since they start with 3 attacks as listed in that conversion with up to 5.

Plus, setting matters as in Dark Sun where weapons are more limited so natural weapons would be a better advantage to a race.

www.peginc.com
Amaril
Heroic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: oops! Reply with quote

Mancario wrote:
Sorry about that hhahaaha Razz

http://mancario.blogspot.de/

I was paying too much attention to the writing and forgot the most important part Razz

Added to the Savage Bloggers Network. Smile
Fantasy Companion Loot Generator
Raise Calculator
kronovan
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zadmar wrote:
kronovan wrote:
I don't know of any natural weapon value in SWEX.

Page 135. Races get one major ability (described as being comparable with an edge) or two minor abilities, and these are nearly identical to +2 and +1 racial abilities in SWD. One of the minor abilities is "natural weapons (Str+d4)".

Seriously, I've had mutliple copies of SWEX all this time and never noticed that section in the back - doh. I stand corrected and I'll have to check that out next time I have my SWEX in hand.

Quote:
kronovan wrote:
As well, most beasts in the SWEX beastiary with the exception of those with a -1 size or less, have natural weapons that grant STR+d6 or better.

Natural weapons for animals seem to be based on their size. As far as I can tell, it seems to go like this for the more aggressive animals:

Size -2 (or lower): Str
Size -1: Str+d4
Medium: Str+d6
Large+: Str+d8

Yep, that's sort of the trend I've noticed, athough IIRC there were a few exceptions like large beasts that had only STR+d6.

Clint wrote:
SWD grants natural weapons that do Str+d6 like claws, but that's still limited to two attacks a round. Look at the Saurian example in SWD and you'll see they have Str+d4 natural weapons, but can attack with claws, bite, and a tail slap.

But the Saurian still gets a MAP on using more than 1 of those - correct?
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kronovan wrote:
Clint wrote:

But the Saurian still gets a MAP on using more than 1 of those - correct?

And off-hand penalties. Cool
Mancario
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:16 am    Post subject: thanks! Reply with quote

I was off the internet for the weekend so I'm catching up now Smile

I try to balance the races at +2 so that theyíre compatible with other standard races in case someone wants to use them in other settings of their own. For example the Thri-Kreen was also in Spelljammer. Also I took inspiration from the "evolution" edges for the Drakins in Sundered Skies and the racial paragon classes in DnD 4th edition. That's why I added more edges so that they could have a way to "recover" those abilities.

For the armor, I think that it should still count as a +1 even if they can't wear anything else. In Dark Sun armor was rare because it was too hot to wear so almost no one wore them except people on guard duty in the shade or fighting temporarily in the arena, etc.

Making a race at +4 does give me an idea though. It could be a level adjustment like in DnD 3.0/3.5. In SW it would be called Advancement adjustment though. Every +2 is equal to an edge or stat increase so it equals 5 experience points basically. In that sense, if I make a Thri-Kreen at +4 in racial bonuses I would add +5 experience points to the Athasian dwarves and the humans for example.

Thanks for spotting the Str+1 for the claws and bite. Indeed, it should be Str. +d4. I had the Fantasy Companion, Slipstream and Savage Worlds Deluxe opened so I wasnít paying attention enough. As Clint mentioned, itís only Str + d4 because they have more than one natural weapon.

For the four armed part, I didnít think about that insect from Evernight even though I do mention to look at existing materials in the articleÖ oops Razz Also a good idea to use the Supers Companion for very complex races. Although not a race itself I did something similar for cyborgs using the Supers rules from Necessary Evil. The character took an edge to become a Construct then he could take more edges to gain points with which to buy augmentations. Although in this case, Iíll stick with extra-arms racial ability instead. You'll also notice that adding Frenzy (a seasoned edge) is a +3 ability which would make the race even more difficult to balance Smile

Iíll redo the conversion and post the revision in the comments section of that blog entry. Iíll also add an addendum about races in the next post/article that I write concerning level adjustment and the other ways to convert races that you proposed (with credit of course Smile ). Thanks to everyone for input and the discussion.

Also thanks Amaril, Iíll need to check the other blogs too and Iíll add a link to Savage Bloggerís network on to my blog. Is there a banner or something (ďpart of the Savage BloggersĒ), I could add it in a corner on the main page.
Amaril
Heroic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: thanks! Reply with quote

Mancario wrote:
Also thanks Amaril, Iíll need to check the other blogs too and Iíll add a link to Savage Bloggerís network on to my blog. Is there a banner or something (ďpart of the Savage BloggersĒ), I could add it in a corner on the main page.
There's no need to link back to the site. It's just something I set up as a service for Savages who want to read, hear, or see what other Savages are doing as well as keeping a finger on the pulse of what's happening in the Savage Worlds community and market in general. It's not perfect; not every publisher or blog has a feed on their site, or a feed dedicated to Savage Worlds, but the latest news seems to get covered regardless. Most bloggers just include it in their blog rolls.

I don't have a banner or logo yet. It's something I've been wanting to do, but I've been at a loss for ideas on the design. I don't want to depend on the fan license logo, and I don't think it'd be right to use any other official logo, but I'd like to have something that's associated with Savage Worlds but still unique, too.
Fantasy Companion Loot Generator
Raise Calculator
JackMann
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zadmar wrote:
I noticed you balanced your races at +2, which is the common approach, but personally I find it easier to balance all the races at +4 if some of them are quite complex (such as your Thri-Kreen example). I think this is worth considering in situations where you're struggling to get the race down to +2.

Out of curiosity, how do you bump up humans in such settings?
Lord Inar
Heroic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JackMann wrote:
Zadmar wrote:

I usually split the difference and start at +3 and give the humans a free d6 skill.
Best Internet page ever
Zadmar
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JackMann wrote:

The easy option is just to give them another edge, but personally I prefer to emphasise their flexibility by giving them a choice between:

1) Two Novice edges (+4 racial ability), or:

2) One Seasoned edge (+3 racial ability) and one skill at d6 (+1 racial ability).

I like the second option because it doesn't feel like a bum deal for longer running campaigns; it costs one advance to purchase a Seasoned edge after creation, but it also costs one advance for two skill raises (below their linked attribute)*, so it balances out nicely.

* Technically it costs an advance to purchase a new skill at d4, but I've dropped that rule.
Mancario
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:09 am    Post subject: New post Reply with quote

I added another post/article, this time talking about classes from d20 and how to adapt them to Savage Worlds.

cheers!
Thunderforge
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JackMann wrote:
Zadmar wrote:

In my Stargate conversion, I gave all humans a net +2 ability based on their homeworld or their career in addition to the free Edge. For instance, SGC soldiers got a d6 in Shooting and Survival and a d4 in Fighting, Piloting, Swimming, and Throwing, but also a Vow (Major) to follow the chain of command in the military. Civilians on the other hand receive a free d6 in any two skills linked to Smarts and no chain of command. Humans from other planets got other benefits.

The Elder Scrolls conversion and other fun creations.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: